Zero Punctuation: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

This week on Zero Punctuation, Zack & Wiki and a whole lot of dongs.

Watch Video

gormers

Nov 23, 2007
Second post! My life! It has purpose!

Anyway, good review that told many good points about point and click games.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
This was a good review. I rented this game awhile back and I think it's a lot of fun. 30$ isn't a bad deal, either. And by the way, I loved King's Quest.

TheUBERspectre

Dec 15, 2007
To be honest, I've never even heard of this game. I suppose I haven't because I don't have a Wii, so I could care less about it. Don't get me wrong though, it was a great review, I just wish I knew what he was talking about.

gormers

Nov 23, 2007
Crooked Knight said:
Decent adventure games are remarkably not-quite-dead of late. I blame the Phoenix Wright series.
Yeah, but I think the series have been milked a bit too much.
Now Ive only played the first game, but there have been many releases after that one.

Hypersapien

Nov 14, 2007
Good review, but Yahtzee's kind kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel now. He's reviewed all the recent well-known games and is starting on the more obscure stuff.

Release more games, dammit! Yahtzee needs cannon fodder!

k_rafftry

Mar 5, 2008
Hypersapien said:
Good review, but Yahtzee's kind kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel now. He's reviewed all the recent well-known games and is starting on the more obscure stuff.

No he isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel. If you were a longtime fan or even slightly perceptive you'd know that yahtzee loves adventure games. He has made a ton of them and has a great love for monkey island, he even designed a game to try make one as good

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
Holy crap a reference to Alone in the Dark 2 (I think) as it has you doing just that, the paper/door thing.

Amazing that I can still remember that.

Of course before doing that you had to get past a rather annoying fat man with a tommy gun... something like that.

And yay for a review that wasn't a shooter or about random guy with muscles!

Feb 28, 2008
^^

Lol, cannon fodder..
Anyways (another) nice review Yahtzee, but how about tearing into the classics instead of slowly tripping into the main stream games?

twilight_dweller

Sep 22, 2007
Hypersapien said:

I take offense to that. I wouldn't consider Zack & Wiki, "Bottom of the Barrel"

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
I think he pretty much hit it on the head. It's a fun game (certainly worth 30 bucks), that lacks much of a story, and has some annoying quirks. The point system angered me because I felt like I was being punished for experimentation. And, while thankfully it does use the same objects to solve different puzzles throughout the game, I found it infuriating that every time I wanted to use the grabber, or to smack something, or to saw through something, it had to show me the tutorial animation. I get it. The sawing motion requires me to move the wiimote forward and backward like a saw. Now lay off!. Reminded me of Twilight Princess going ape-shit every time I picked up a Rupee worth >1 for the first time in a given area, or opened a chest.

Which reminds me. What's the point of having the evil spirits guard the Zak & Wiki treasure chests if the same process is applied to remove them, every single time?

Esmoreit

Oct 10, 2007
Hypersapien said:

Zack and wiki is definitly not obscure. This game was considered 2007's "No one buys it despite all reviewers screaming on the soapbox to go get it". Kinda like Okami and psychonauts.

Great review, and I'll pick this one up once my internship is over and I get some decent pay.

pingnak

Sep 27, 2007
Gods, he mentioned Roberta Williams.

On the plus side for Ken & Roberta, they did get super-duper rich off all that dreck. Not that working for them was ever anything besides entertaining, if you have a macabre sense of humor. Certainly working at EA was much worse than S.O.L. ever was.

Now excuse me, I have to forward a link to this to a dozen people.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I own the game and had a flippin' awesome time with it!
Can't wait for the reviews of Rock Band and No More Heroes.
I mean, if Yahtzee's waiting for them he'll consider them for review.

Rune R.

Dec 31, 2004
I never played this game, intended to play it or indeed even heard of it before this.

I guess it should be said that I'm of the PC-gaming master race persuasion and so titles out there for people stuck somewhere between childhood and puberty; you know, console users, has little interest to me.

Having said that, the review was sorta fun, but is it just me or do they keep getting shorter? Some of the earlier ones were almost 5 minutes, then they dropped to 4 minutes and by now we're down to 3:40 something with the occational useless addition glued on at the end to trick people into believing they will get the dogs bollocks.

All in all a sub-standard review that ends this wednesday in disappointment.