Zero Punctuation: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
For starters, the whole puzzle where you put the paper under the door and poke the key out has been used numerous times in gaming and certainly long before Alone in the dark 2. Heck I remember using this solution in a text based adventure game back in the Zork era.

Roberta Williams and her King's Quest series, essentially wrote the beginning of the book for the adventure games genre. While not always perfect, King's Quest was a ground-breaking(for its time) title that had some great games in the series. KQ6 was easily one of the best adventure games i ever played. The use of Roberta Williams specifically when mentioning bad adventure games is laughable and in my opinion grossly inaccurate. Wonder what would happened if we turned a critical eye to Yahtzee's games and reviewed them.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
transcipt anyone??? T^T I guess I have to write one D:
*now to decipher some of yahtzee's accents that "disagree" with me*

(yahtzee would have come up with a better similie D:)

simo9352

Jan 23, 2008
Thats the funniest review in ages thanks yahtzee.
You give us all a reason to live one week longer!

justdan

Jan 28, 2008
Interesting, if a little full of poo and dildos and dongs and, worst of all, sandpaper.
Why was the Amiga Wasteland so small, though? I had an Amiga and the world revolves around me, of course, so that area should have been bigger. Apparently, you didn't get the memo? :p

j/k - great review, as always

Gollon

Jan 16, 2008
I don't mind when the characters squeak and act eccentric like that, but it is rather embarrassing when other people are around and wonder what the hell you're playing.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
WHy is Yahtzee eliminating his old reviews from this website?

Takhisis

Feb 2, 2008
OK gamers.....Ill make this simple.....

Wii = Trix.....its for kids

XBOX = PC....Build a PC and run the games better

PS3 = FTW....Nuff Said

Wave-360

Jan 24, 2008
Lol wank and Ziki :)
Anyways though if you hate adventure games then why are your games of the Chzo mythos pretty much that. Theyre all great and amazing but you just said you didnt care for those types of games.

Great review as always and thanks for giving me a thing to look forward to every wednesday
PS: For anyone who cares theres a ZP theme for the PS3

Ninja Dodo

Feb 3, 2008
Ace review.

Regarding Phoenix Wright: It only seems like they're milking it because they were released before on GBA (doubtless with a lot more time between instalments) and now they're just porting them to DS in rapid succession. Number 4 is the first new one. Since it's not yet available in English I haven't played this one, but the first three are excellent without exception.

I was kind of hoping that the annoying "you failed to grasp our illogic, repeat the last 15 minutes!" was limited to Capcom's Ace Attorney series
You do realize you can save the game at any time? (Phoenix Wright, that is)

As for Roberta Williams... I loved the King's Quest series. They have some serious design flaws (dead ends, unfair deaths and the like) and the quality of the storytelling varies but as a whole it's still a great series, 6 being the highpoint.

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
Grim Fandango is an Awesome game so I glad it got it's props, as for the game Zack and Wiki It doesn't look like it'd interest me despite everything else, looks too cartooney while Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island have a bit more style.

"OK gamers.....Ill make this simple.....

PS3 = FTW....Nuff Said"

In Response to this:

Wii= Fun no matter the age if you find the right games
XBox 360= Pwns the Ps3 in all ways, hell even Wii's sell more than Ps3's
PS3= Build a PC that's better for the same price, Horrible start off with little game support, I have nothing against the ps3 though if you want to waste your money on it, otherwise I'll stick to PC gaming which blows all at out of the water.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
Finally a transcript :D

I fixed all my errors? so stop commenting about it :p

"Long ago in the mists of time, when main characters didn't need to have biceps bigger then their faces, and when bump mapping was just something cartographers did to their wives, there lived adventure games. This shy thoughtful tribe was known for its great story telling tradition and ruled the great PC gaming plains for many years before mysteriously dying out around the onset of the Quake era. Some blame the aggressive expansion of neighboring first person shooter tribes. But personally I think it?s more to do with the fact that most of them were shit.

Most of your average adventure game experience was spent carting a truckload of miscellaneous knick knacks around, patiently rubbing them all one by one against everything else in the hope of hoping on to the train of logic unique to the game?s designer. For every decent adventure game, like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango, there were five excess baggage fests driven by moon logic. Funnily enough all designed by Roberta Williams. So the genre popped its unintuitive clogs.

Not that adventure game fans have ever been able to accept that. Attempts are constantly made to revive the genre by jumping on its gas bloated stomach. But this rarely causes more then a feeble squirt of pungent fluids from one of the less wholesome orifices. Now it?s Capcom?s turn to take a whole-hearted two-footed bounce on that poor defiled body with Zack and Wiki, an adventure game for the Wii, featuring Western style point and click controls and adventurery puzzles. But that?s where the internationalism ends. If you find the Japanese offensive, then you?ll find this game offensively Japanese. The main characters are a brash youth with no voice and stupid hair and his aggressively cute monkey friend, voiced by some painfully shrill harpy thing. And the antagonist is a hot angry girl in a mini skirt. Now all it needs to do is dispense used panties and oppress the Chinese.

Another thing this game doesn?t have in common with nineties western adventures is a connecting story line or indeed much of a story at all. Wack and Ziki uses a mission based format, breaking the adventure game play into manageable bite sized chunks, Plunking down a couple of obstacles between you and a treasure chest, and leaning back folding its arms, waiting to see what you do next. And this is the point where the game shines, because the point where you figure out that your supposed to put the key in the door or perturb the angry sloth with the freighting large dildo creates the same smug cock ?oh look at me, I didn?t have to consult GameFAQs? good feeling that I?ve always liked about adventure games. And the fact that there are only a handful of inventory items that you use repeatedly rather then a billion, each with one ?UND PRECISELY VON? application, removes one of the major things I don?t like about adventure games.

But then of course Zim and Spacky breaks the cardinal sin by making it possible to die, not just a result of insistently clicking on a grizzly bear six times, often without warning, as a consequence of simple curiosity or in some in some cases just letting your mind wander for a few seconds too long. And if you do die, you have to go buggering right back to the start of the mission. Meaning you?ll have to repeat all the spastic wiimote flailing you?ve had to do to get to where you were.

Which links me neatly to my next paragraph. Once again the Wii proves its self some kind of patron deity of gimmicky pointless bullshit. Every time you use a tool or item you have to make an equivalent gesture with the wiimote, but half the time the movement of the onscreen tool bears only rudimentary similarities to the gesture you're expected to make. The one that sticks out in my mind is when I was expected to turn a big horizontal wheel, and none movements that seemed obvious cause the damn thing to budge an inch. So I ended up randomly waving the wiimote around like it was an uppity bat trying to find out through trial and error which of the many possible movements the game was thinking of.

I would say that I would prefer the game to not showcase the Wii?s exotic abilities, but I?m pretty sure that was the whole idea. Come to think of it, Wank and Sticky is a game with a lot of needless attachments, like the fact that you can buy hints (totally useless while the internet still exists). Or the practice of awarding points based on how quickly you solve puzzles (which I frequently took personally). But if you complain about unnecessary additions you?re just being a tosser. It?s like complaining about, say, a perfectly good hotdog because the vender is the Boston Strangler. You can still enjoy the hotdog and just try not to make eye contact. And overall I enjoyed Zack and Wiki. It?s fun, and original, and has a lot of charm, as long as you can tolerate a slightly childish tone. Which on reflection, you probably could if you?re an average Wii owner because statistically your eight years old.

Oh yes, and some people might find the characters pseudo verbal grunts and squeaks a bit annoying after the first few hundred times. I didn?t, but my roommate said it was like have his ear canals raped by a man wearing a sandpaper condom. Not in those exact words obviously?"

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
FireFox170 said:
Grim Fandango is an Awesome game so I glad it got it's props, as for the game Zack and Wiki It doesn't look like it'd interest me despite everything else, looks too cartooney while Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island have a bit more style.

"OK gamers.....Ill make this simple.....

PS3 = FTW....Nuff Said"

In Response to this:

Wii= Fun no matter the age if you find the right games
XBox 360= Pwns the Ps3 in all ways, hell even Wii's sell more than Ps3's
PS3= Build a PC that's better for the same price, Horrible start off with little game support, I have nothing against the ps3 though if you want to waste your money on it, otherwise I'll stick to PC gaming which blows all at out of the water.
Some of us can't afford the parts or are too stupid to build an uber gaming PC.

gormers

Nov 23, 2007
Takhisis said:
OK gamers.....Ill make this simple.....

PS3 = FTW....Nuff Said
Wow, just wow... I think you belong on the Gametrailers forum.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
AND

in spanish :p

Desee hace en las nieblas del tiempo, cuando los caracteres principales no necesitaron tener bíceps más grande entonces sus caras, y cuando el traz del topetón era justo algo los cartógrafos hizo a sus esposas. Juegos allí vividos de la aventura. Esta tribu pensativa tímida era sabida para su gran historia que decía la tradición y gobernó los grandes llanos del juego de la PC por muchos años antes misterioso de morir hacia fuera alrededor del inicio de la era del temblor. Algunos culparon la extensión agresiva de las primeras tribus vecinas del tirador de la persona. Pero personalmente pienso que es más a hacer con el hecho de que la mayoría de ellos eran mierda.
La mayoría de su experiencia media del juego de la aventura estuvo pasada carting un camión de destrezas misceláneas del knick alrededor, frotándolas pacientemente todas uno por uno contra todo en la esperanza de esperar encendido al tren de la lógica único al diseñador del juego. Para cada juego decente de la aventura, como la isla del mono o el fandango severo, había cinco exceso de fests del bagaje conducidos por lógica de la luna. Bastante de Funnily diseñado todo por Roberta Williams. El género hizo estallar tan sus estorbos no intuitivos.
Los ventiladores de no ese juego de la aventura han podido siempre aceptar eso. Las tentativas son hechas constantemente de restablecer el género saltando en su estómago hinchado gas. Pero esto causa raramente más entonces un débil arroja a chorros de líquidos acres a partir del uno de los orificios menos sanos. Ahora es vuelta de Capcom para tomar un conjunto hearted dos despedida footed en eso cuerpo profanado pobre con Zack y Wiki, un juego de la aventura para el Wii, ofreciendo controles occidentales del punto y del tecleo del estilo y rompecabezas del inventario. Pero aquí es donde el internacionalismo termina. Si usted encuentra la ofensiva japonesa, después usted encontrará este japonés del juego offensively. Los caracteres principales son una juventud temeraria sin voz y el pelo estúpido y su amigo agresivamente lindo del mono, expresado por una cierta cosa doloroso chillona del harpy. Y el antagonista es una muchacha enojada caliente en una mini falda. Ahora todo lo que necesita hacer debe dispensar las bragas usadas y oprime a chinos.
Otra cosa que este juego no tiene en campo común con los an'os noventa las aventuras occidentales son una línea de la historia que conecta o de hecho mucha de una historia en todos. Wack y Ziki utiliza un formato basado misión, rompiendo el juego del juego de la aventura en pedazos clasificados mordedura manejable. Estableciendo un par de obstáculos entre usted y un pecho del tesoro, e inclinándose detrás doblando sus brazos que esperan para ver lo que usted hace después. Y éste es el punto donde el juego brilla, porque el punto donde usted calcula fuera de ése su supuesto poner la llave en la puerta o perturbar el sloth enojado con el consolador grande de flete crea la misma sensación con aire satisfecho de los hechos del juego del martillo "mirada del oh en mí, yo no tuvo que consultar buena" de que he tenido gusto siempre sobre juegos de la aventura. Y el hecho de que hay solamente un puñado de los artículos del inventario que usted utiliza en varias ocasiones algo entonces mil millones por cada uno con uno "uso de UND EXACTO VON" quita una de las cosas principales que no tengo gusto alrededor de juegos de la aventura.
Pero entonces por supuesto Zim y Spacky rompe el pecado cardinal permitiendo morir, no apenas un resultado insistente de chascar en un oso enorme seis veces, a menudo sin la advertencia, como consecuencia de curiosidad simple o en alguno en algunos casos apenas que dejan su mente vague por algunos segundos demasiado largos. Y si usted muere, usted tiene que ir a maldecir a la derecha de nuevo al comienzo de la misión. Significarle tendrá que repetir todo el wiimote espástico flailing le ha tenido que hacer para conseguir a donde usted estaba.
Qué acoplamientos yo cuidadosamente a mi párrafo siguiente. El Wii prueba de nuevo a su uno mismo una cierta clase de deity el patrón del bullshit insustancial gimmicky. Cada vez que usted utiliza una herramienta o un artículo usted tiene que hacer un gesto equivalente con el wiimote, pero la mitad del tiempo el movimiento del onscreen osos de la herramienta solamente que las semejanzas rudimentarias al su del gesto esperado hacen. El que se pega hacia fuera en mi mente es cuando se esperaba que diera vuelta a una rueda horizontal grande, y ningunos los movimientos que se parecían causa obvia la cosa maldita para bullir una pulgada. Terminé tan encima aleatoriamente de agitar el wiimote alrededor como era un palo del uppity que intentaba descubrir con el ensayo y el error en los cuales en los muchos movimientos posibles el juego pensaba.
Diría que preferiría el juego para no showcase las capacidades exóticas del Wii, pero soy bastante seguro que era la idea entera. Se viene pensar en ella, Wank y Sticky un juego con muchos de accesorios innecesarios, como el hecho de que usted puede comprar indirectas (totalmente inútiles mientras que todavía existe el Internet). O la práctica de conceder los puntos basados en cómo usted soluciona rápidamente los rompecabezas, que tomé con frecuencia personalmente. Pero si usted se queja por adiciones innecesarias, usted es el ser justo un tosser. Es como quejarse por,por ejemplo, un hot dog perfectamente bueno porque el vender es el estrangulador de Boston. Usted puede inmóvil gozar del hot dog y del intento justo para no hacer el contacto visual. Y total gocé de Zack y de Wiki. Es diversión, y original, y tiene muchos de encanto, mientras usted puede tolerar un tono levemente infantil. Cuál en la reflexión, usted podría probablemente si usted es un dueño medio de Wii porque estadístico sus ocho años viejos.
Oh sí, y alguna gente pudieron encontrar los pseudo roncos verbales de los caracteres y chirría un pedacito que molestaba después de los cientos tiempos primeros. No pero mi compañero de cuarto dijo estaba como hace que sus canales de oído sean violados por un hombre que usaba un condón del papel de lija. No en esas palabras exactas obviamente...

AlphaWolf13

Mar 20, 2008
My Brain.... HURTSSS...

I'm sorry, but trying to follow that right after waking up, is kinda like trying to follow the logic of a cab driver in NYC. Merrr

I'm going to go curl up in the corner and beat my face against the wall till my brain worky gain gain..

myopiczeal

Jan 24, 2008
Dammit, I was just finishing my transcript. I was stuck on "popped its unintuitive clogs". I'd post it anyway, but yours is close enough.

VeryOblivious

Dec 2, 2007
myopiczeal said:
Dammit, I was just finishing my transcript. I was stuck on "popped its unintuitive clogs". I'd post it anyway, but yours is close enough.
Without trying to sound ungrateful to cutekitten, I'm waiting your transcript. BTW, that translation is pretty bad.

rocker

Mar 26, 2008
Remember Twinsen's Odyssey and Grim Fandango.....

best adventure games ever.....