Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Yoshi Return in Super Smash Bros. 3DS, Wii U - Update

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Yoshi Return in Super Smash Bros. 3DS, Wii U - Update

Three veterans return for Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U.

Update: Nintendo has updated its official Super Smash Bros. site. Screenshots added.

Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U director Masahiro Sakurai announced three returning characters to the roster for the upcoming Smash titles. Zero Suit Samus and Sheik will be returning as their own characters, unconnected to Samus and Zelda. Yoshi will also return.

[gallery=2316]

In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, players could play as Zero Suit Samus after unleashing Samus's final smash. In earlier Smash titles, players could switch between Zelda and Sheik through her down-B move. Now they are their own characters and have been changed up as a result. Zero Suit Samus has been strengthened and wears Jet Boots, making her both fast and strong. Most of her moves rely on her strong kicks. In Brawl Zero Suit Samus was primarily fast whereas Samus was strong. To make up for Zero Suit Samus's weaknesses, her speed has been matched by the strength of her feet. In addition, Sheik has two new attacks, Burst Grenade (an explosive attack that triggers when the pin is pulled) and Bouncing Fish (an acrobatic kick). Zelda's down-B move, which allowed her to switch appearance to Sheik, now allows her to summon a Phantom for offense and defense.

Yoshi stood hunched over in previous Smash games, but for the first time in his fighting career he'll stand straight. As a result, his play style has changed.

A lot has changed in minuscule ways for Smash; Sakurai has been tweaking characters to make everything as evenly matched as possible. Final smashes are all up for changes, he revealed. Samus will obviously no longer switch to Zero Suit Samus after unleashing her powerful smash.

The veterans join newly announced Super Smash Bros. 3DS will launch this summer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133594-Charizard-And-Greninja-Join-Super-Smash-Bros-4], whereas Super Smash Bros. Wii U will launch the following winter.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
One thing kept going into my head when I saw that Zero Suit Samus design...

"And at that moment of Zero Suit Samus' reveal, the sound of pencils drawing Rule 34 could be heard around the globe."

Sure Rule 34 would be drawn anyway, but now it will get another surge yet again like what happened with the Wii Fit Trainer. XD

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Neronium said:
One thing kept going into my head when I saw that Zero Suit Samus design...

"And at that moment of Zero Suit Samus' reveal, the sound of pencils drawing Rule 34 could be heard all over the world."

Sure Rule 34 would be drawn anyway, but now it will get another surge yet again like what happened with the Wii Fit Trainer. XD
I assumed that happened with every reveal. :p

OT: I'm a little surprised by Sheik. Zero Suit Samus at least had an iteration in the Other M game. I'm glad all three are getting a rework in fighting styles!

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
I'm down for having them be seperate characters, it's how I pretty much played them anyways. A little odd that Sheik got gernades though. Didn't see that coming.

Also, did Zero Suit Samus' boots come off as "Bayonetta-y" to anyone else?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
There's still time for Lucina to make a special appearance! Fuck Chrom, give us Lucina!

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
One of the few games I'm actually looking forward to, to bad I'll have to wait to play it until after boot camp and A school to actually play it.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Hey is sonic coming back? I don't recall, I just want to relieve the comic TBH :)

(It would be great if Knuckles made it in too)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
V4Viewtiful said:
Hey is sonic coming back? I don't recall, I just want to relieve the comic TBH :)

(It would be great if Knuckles made it in too)
Sonic has been confirmed for months. He was revealed right after Luigi was revealed. It was to also help promote Sonic Lost World, which was coming out in a few weeks after Sonic's reveal.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
It's a pity they aren't using the Skyward Sword Zelda, I love that design, hopefully there will be a skin for it as they seem to be doing a few for characters now.

As I also said in another thread:

The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is Zero Suit Samus, another character other than Samus would be cool, one of the other hunters or something. That said, they seem to have improved her a good deal :D and they have got rid of the clone characters, was weird seeing no Captain Falcon though.

I also don't see why that other mode couldn't be on the Wii U somehow though, split screen etc, but I'm sure there are reasons for that.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Oh yay! Zero suit samus! *sigh*

[sub/] no I will not lighten up...[/sub]

SporkySpork

Feb 19, 2014
Hooraaaaaaaaay Pander Suit Zero Suit Samus....

*Crosses fingers for Solid/Punished Snake or The Boss to be revealed.*

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
It appears Samus is taking a cue from Halo's Cortana with those darker blue accents.

Coincidence? Or something more?

Nah, coincidence. No way in hell would Halo characters ever make it into a Smash Bros. game. Oh well, a guy can dream...

SporkySpork

Feb 19, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
It appears Samus is taking a cue from Halo's Cortana with those darker blue accents.

Nah, coincidence. No way in hell would Halo characters ever make it into a Smash Bros. game. Oh well, a guy can dream...
What would Master Chief's moveset even be?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
SporkySpork said:
Neverhoodian said:

What would Master Chief's moveset even be?
Master Chief would actually work pretty well for Smash Bros. Even if you don't really see it in the games he is supposed to be good in hand to hand combat, so that would cover the smash attacks. B could be using the assault rifle, B side could be grenades, both frag and plasma at random just for fun. B up could be a jet pack boost, B down could be using armor lock to make him invincible for a few seconds. You can tell I've already put some though into this. Not that it could happen in a million years. :/

OT: Glad to see Zero Suit Samus as a separate character, but I wish she didn't have the high heels. Apparently, back when the artists for Metroid were designing the Zero Suit, they had a version with high heels. The director shot that down because it was ridiculous for Samus to have high heels in a combat suit. Then they brought the heels back for Other: M so I guess the design made a comeback unfortunately.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
As with most things coming out of this Super Smash Bros direct, a lot of the news makes me both happy and disappointed. The new design and buffs to Zero Suit Samus look incredible and fun, as well many of the changes to the other veterans. That said, I'm incredibly disappointed that they have got rid of in battle transformations, I felt that was a real unique touch to the characters who had it and offered the ability to switch between fighting abilities and styles. It also made a lot of sense in the cases such as Samus and Zero Suit Samus, what with them being the same person and all.

I do wonder whether the removal of transformations has something to do with the 3DS version, much like how it seems to have affected how Olimar can only have 3 Pikmin at a time, which seems like a downgrade regardless of a new Up B and knowing the order of Pikmin.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I am kind of disappointed that the reveal of charizard probably means Pokémon trainer is not returning, I guess there trying to get rid of fighters that are multiple characters, don?t really know how to feel about that.

Greninja looks pretty cool even if I don?t actually know him since I haven?t played x and y, I do wonder or his appearance means that jigglypuff won?t be appearing.