Zod's Secret Identity Revealed For New Superman Film

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Zod's Secret Identity Revealed For New Superman Film

Zod's back, but he's not going to be played by Terrence Stamp.

When it comes to Superman villains, Lex Luthor will almost assuredly always rank as the Man of Steel's deadliest nemesis. However, <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Zod>General Zod is a pretty close second, and it sounds like he's going to be Kal-El's enemy in the upcoming Zack Snyder film.

The character is going to be played by Oscar-nominated Michael Shannon. Not much has been revealed about how the character will be depicted, though Snyder himself said in a release from the studio, "Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman others don't. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role."

Shannon's joining a pretty darn impressive cast: Kevin Costner and Diane Lane are signed on to play Clark Kent's parents, and Amy Adams is going to be Lois Lane. Henry Cavill, even though he has yet to receive an Oscar nod, has a pretty impressive performance résumé of his own, too.

What will be interesting to see is what Shannon's Zod will be like. Terrence Stamp has long been an iconic representation of the character, though a lot has been done with Zod in the comics since Superman II (I'm ignoring the Smallville version, the same way I ignore the new Star Wars films). The version that appeared in the "New Krypton" storylines was particularly believable as someone who wasn't exactly an megalomaniacal villain as a fanatic who believed in his own, misguided, cause.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

<a href=http://terminaitor.deviantart.com/art/General-Zod-125151697>Image source

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I liked the prequels. And I'm pretty sure Kristin Kreuk strips in an episode of Smallville, so that also gets my vote.

As for the actual story, I have no idea who General Zod is, so I hope this guy's acting is enough to overcome that silly name.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Ugh. I've never seen Superman II, so I don't know how Zod is supposed to be, but I despise Michael Shannon. In the things I've seen him do, he has only one mode: asshole. Not saying he'll be that for Zod, but the actor just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Really, though, I'm just not excited about the film as a whole. I've never been crazy about Snyder's films, the casting seems completely weird, and I don't understand why they couldn't have a different villain. Like Brainiac. Or a tagteam of Parasite and Metallo. Or even Doomsday.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Psh. Zod is weak. Give me general Jak-Sur any time.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
EDIT: you might need to move the slider for that first second.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time visualizing anyone other than Stamp as Zod. The character was so endemic to his exacting performance, I will have problems accepting a new one.

On the bright side, considering how terrible the last two superman films were, it won't take much for this film to be considered decent.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Irony. Zod became a big time villain AFTER his appearance in the movie. Before then, he was a minor character. After the movie, he became a more big-time baddie in the Superman comics. And his new status in the comics justifies him being in another movie. To paraphrase Moviebob: Comic Movies...are.........you know the rest.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I know it wont do any good, but seriously will they stop trying to resurrect Superman to film already? How much money have they wasted on this notion already? Not saying this one cant possibly be good, but I highly doubt it will be anything great. Just let it go already. Its a superhero that is about as unrelatable as a superhero can get. I just dont see this ending any better than the last film did

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This sounds pretty awesome. Glenn Ford will always be Pa Kent to me, but I like the idea of Kevin Costner getting his hands into comic movie territory.
This may just be something to get excited about.
Spangles said:
Just give me an epic story.. and maybe an insight into the life and mind of this alien god who chooses to stay and protect us from evils we cannot imagine, and a BIG BOOM at the end.
Word.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Spangles said:
viranimus said:
I know it wont do any good, but seriously will they stop trying to resurrect Superman to film already? How much money have they wasted on this notion already? Not saying this one cant possibly be good, but I highly doubt it will be anything great. Just let it go already. Its a superhero that is about as unrelatable as a superhero can get. I just dont see this ending any better than the last film did
I agree with your sentiment, but I completely disagree with your reasoning.

I don't go to the movies, especially not films like this, to relate to the character.. I have no need to vicariously live through them..

I go to the movies to be put in completely UNRELATEABLE circumstances.. to be blown away, either by plot or effects.... and if I'm REALLY lucky, then both at the same time.

However the makers seem to pander to people like you who feels a character must be relatable, and if he's not then there's no point to doing it, and what do we end up getting? The obligatory romance with an earth woman just to show us how human he is.. except that it's always the same tired old rehashed hollywood syrup and incestuously reused villans ...'cos they worked' first time round... and second and third......

Just give me an epic story.. and maybe an insight into the life and mind of this alien god who chooses to stay and protect us from evils we cannot imagine, and a BIG BOOM at the end.
Well its generally a rule of thumb for most films there has to be something relatable about the lead char. Im not saying gritty realism, but my problem is Superman as an entity hearkens back to a times when "truth, justice, and the american way" was looked on favorably, that really doesnt fly any more.

Today youve got two massive char issues to work with in superman. The "overgrown boyscout" motif in this generation where antiheroes are more prevalent than heroes. and the fact that as a super hero.. Supermans powers are ridiculously over powered and far too extensive. Hes got like a dozen abilities, but yet there always seems to be someone coming in every month that kicks his ass for a little while before he turns the tide on them. Hes kind of like the professional wrestler of super heroes.

Still, Even with Nolans Involvement, I really dont see this ending well. And considering one confirmed bomb of a film Plus the 6 other attempts at resurrecting this franchise, Perhaps its time to give up and focus on anybody else.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Honestly, I was fine with Superman Returns. The idea of them rebooting it so soon kinda kills me on the inside.