Zombie novels: What's your favorite?

Alucadrian

Jan 29, 2009
I'm really looking forward to reading The Walking Dead.

So we've established that Max Brooks rules the mainstream zombie book market, but what about some other good fringe stories? Anyone read any of the editions of "The Undead: A Zombie Anthology"? I believe there are currently four volumes produced.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
You should watch Shaun of the Dead, a hilarious spoof of sorts from England. Also, you should check out the graphic novel series "The Living Dead". I've only been able to read bits from two of them, but they're really good.

Ridergurl10

Dec 25, 2008
I have seen World War Z on the shelf and after this thread I think I may buy it. It does look pretty entertaining. Did you guys know they are preparing to make it into a movie? Thoughts?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I, Zombie by Al Ewing.

It's a really good sci-fi take on the Zombie genre, with the main character being a zombie.

I can't really give too much of the plot away without spoiling it, but needless to say it is a great story with a truly epic plot and twist.

Here's a review I found that describes it better than I could without giving away the plot.

http://www.denofgeek.com/comics/71251/i_zombie_book_review.html

Alucadrian

Jan 29, 2009
Ridergurl10 said:
I have seen World War Z on the shelf and after this thread I think I may buy it. It does look pretty entertaining. Did you guys know they are preparing to make it into a movie? Thoughts?
I heard, and am looking forward to it. Max Brooks's Wikipedia page told me that he actually turned down the screenwriting credit for the book, stating that he didn't have the skill as a screenwriter to do it right. I respect that, and him more for it.

Ridergurl10

Dec 25, 2008
Alucadrian said:
Ridergurl10 said:
I heard, and am looking forward to it. Max Brooks's Wikipedia page told me that he actually turned down the screenwriting credit for the book, stating that he didn't have the skill as a screenwriter to do it right. I respect that, and him more for it.
Wow I didn't know that. He seems very smart, usually authors let their egos get in the way and then the movie sucks! I agree he deserves respect. Now I really want to read the book!

Lebeau's Bounty

Dec 30, 2008
World War Z was awesome. It has such good moments of absolute horror, like the very first zombie sighting in told in the book, with the kid ripping out of his own arm. But there were also amazing stories that appeal to a comic book mind set, like the dual stories of the two characters who came together in Kyoto, Japan. That internet geek who climbed down his apartment building floors, through the windows, and found a sword to fend off zombies. And the old blind man who fought zombie in the middle of an open field.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm from Pittsburgh, so you can imagine how much I like the zombie phenomenon. My preferred medium is movies and such, but I'll admit that I like reading about them too. Done some RE business and read actual Evil Dead comics. I like all kinds of zombies, from the actual braintastic ones to the total cannibals. However, on the actual subject of books, I have to throw myself in with the Max Brooks parade. The great son of Mel is a genius of his own rights, because The Zombie Survival Guide is taken on an extent to which - if zombies ever happened - it would be reliably useful in every imaginable situation. And World War Z takes it one step farther, stepping unto the breach and minding the gap into the actual and possible fashion in which a worldwide zombie apocalypse might occur. It's monstrous, scary, and entertaining. Kudos to the Brooks man.

JRslinger

Nov 12, 2008
I also endorse World War Z. The author put a lot of thought into the social/political/economic results of a zombie epidemic.

joanmac

Sep 22, 2012
My favorites are Kirkman's graphic novels The Walking Dead, The Rising by Brian Keen, and Zombie University by Trip Ellington