Zombie Pigs Trotting Into Minecraft

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Zombie Pigs Trotting Into Minecraft

Ghasts may be the least of players' worries when Minecraft gets its Halloween update.

Last week, Minecraft developer Notch revealed the game's Halloween update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104626-Minecrafts-Deadly-New-Ghasts-Will-Burn-You]. An new in-depth preview of the update's features now brings information of another scary creature: the zombie pig.

Zombie pigs don't initially appear to be as nasty as the ghasts, but they do oink and make creepy "zombie gurglings" according to PC Gamer. The pigs reportedly aren't hostile, until you attack them. If you do, you'll evidently get killed very quickly as the zombie pig feasts on your corpse. However, if you manage to kill one, it'll drop a pork chop. Sounds worth the risk to me.

Like the ghasts, zombie pigs are only found in the new zone that was once called Hell, is now called the Slip, and could have its name changed again in the future. The Slip is known to be entered through a portal made of 14 obsidian cubes, and allows for faster travel than in the above world, but think twice about using it because I think I already told you about those zombie pigs. Another new reveal from the Slip is a type of block that slows you down when walked across, like a "sticky mud."

The new biomes feature was also detailed, which makes Minecraft's environments more varied and exciting to explore. Biomes change Minecraft's climate gently between different areas, such as grass, desert, and snow, with Notch also adding specific terrain features like special kinds of vegetation and creature spawns.

Biomes are great and all, but zombie pigs? Minecraft deserves to sell more than 500,000 copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104828-Minecraft-Sells-Like-Sexy-Hotcakes] just because of those.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/29/minecraft-halloween-update-hands-on]

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Awww man, they chose the slip? I thought for sure the Underblock would've won in the means of the little name debate in his blog comments.

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
dududf said:
Awww man, they chose the slip? I thought for sure the Underblock would've won in the means of the little name debate in his blog comments.
The preview was sent out before the name debate, there's still room for change yet!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I assume that getting this "Biome" will require a new game to see the effects, as it isn't as though they can re-map the terrain once you've already started tearing some down. Makes me wonder if "the slip" will be the same deal. I mean, on the one hand the game usually can't retroactively add new block types to pre-existing terrain, but on the other hand you're going to a completely new zone, so maybe it'll be able to make that one exception. I suppose we'll just have to see.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
I love how this article is saying "Oh. My. God. Zombie pigs! [sub]Oh yeah also biomes[/sub]"
To be honest, The Slip looks like a place only accessed by those with the drive and time to get that much obsidian.
Also on that topic: 14 cubes of obsidian? How does one fit that many into the 3*3 grid of a crafting bench? Is there stacking in crafting now?

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
SeanTheSheep said:
I love how this article is saying "Oh. My. God. Zombie pigs! [sub]Oh yeah also biomes[/sub]"
To be honest, The Slip looks like a place only accessed by those with the drive and time to get that much obsidian.
Also on that topic: 14 cubes of obsidian? How does one fit that many into the 3*3 grid of a crafting bench? Is there stacking in crafting now?
You don't actually craft it, you build it and light the middle.

OT: This is awesome, but it'll feel a bit strange using my Spiderpig skin now.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
SomeBoredGuy said:
SeanTheSheep said:

Hmm, if that's the case, then that makes sense, but I wonder what configuration. Obviously a ring will be in there, but even with a 4*4 ring you're left with 2 left over...

SecondTalon

Oct 29, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I assume that getting this "Biome" will require a new game to see the effects, as it isn't as though they can re-map the terrain once you've already started tearing some down. Makes me wonder if "the slip" will be the same deal. I mean, on the one hand the game usually can't retroactively add new block types to pre-existing terrain, but on the other hand you're going to a completely new zone, so maybe it'll be able to make that one exception. I suppose we'll just have to see.
You don't have to create a new world. The new content will be generated on the fly when you explore new areas. It just won't apply to what you've already uncovered.

According to Notch, at least. Sounds like a good reason to explore the Slip, though. Gets you further into unexplored territory faster.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Zombeh Piggz!?

This game just reached a whole new level of crazy awesome : The 5th Level - Randomgizzles

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
mikecoulter said:
Awh man, it was once so innocent...
It contained flesh eating zombies, sniping skeletons, and exploding phallic looking things. This game was never innocent.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
spectrenihlus said:
mikecoulter said:
It contained flesh eating zombies, sniping skeletons, and exploding phallic looking things. This game was never innocent.
Sorry, I meant the pig was innocent...

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
mikecoulter said:
spectrenihlus said:
mikecoulter said:
Sorry, I meant the pig was innocent...
You ever look at the pigs staring at you with those eyes.

THEY ARE PLOTTING YOUR DEMISE I TELL YOU.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
SeanTheSheep said:
SomeBoredGuy said:
SeanTheSheep said:

Hmm, if that's the case, then that makes sense, but I wonder what configuration. Obviously a ring will be in there, but even with a 4*4 ring you're left with 2 left over...
Here's the configuration in making it.

In the source, it shows him making it twice.

It's exactly that configuration. The purple spray in the middle is the haze, the fire spray is just where you burn it, and the purple blocks represent obsidian. Stand and wait inside the portal, and the map changes to the slip.

*Edit, pardon my microsoft paint skill. Or lack there of.

*Edit 2

A picture I nabbed from the video.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Here's to Minecraft. May you continue to be an addictive timesink. And here's hoping you don't jump the shark before Alpha.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I'm getting more and more excited for this update.
The blocks that slow you down. Is that the glowy "Australium", or do we still not know what that stuff does?
Also, ZOMBIE PIGS! That is all.