Zombies Could Help Reanimate Topeka, Kansas

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Zombies Could Help Reanimate Topeka, Kansas

A team of college students hopes that a zombie-themed videogame will help convince people that Kansas' capital city Topeka isn't as boring as they think it is.

Pop quiz, everyone: What's the first thing that comes to mind when I say "Topeka, Kansas"? If your answer was along the lines of "nothing, really," then you're probably like most people in the world, who never give Kansas' capital more than a second thought.

In this economy, though, it's probably not a good thing for a city to have absolutely no reason for people to visit it - and that's why some students in a Washburn University videogame design class are hoping that the living dead can bring life back to their city.

In the students' game, the player will start in a zombie-infested, boarded-up Topeka. These zombies, however, are more politically minded than your average undead, and will be carrying signs that disparage the city. Slaying the zombies will restore color and vibrancy to Topeka's downtown, returning it to a bustling city (or so they hope).

Let's be honest, here: A videogame probably won't help restore life to a dull downtown on its own. However, it isn't about making direct change so much as it is about getting peoples' spirits up, say the students creating it. "We want to shake the negative vibe," said Washburn senior Robert Riley. "Topeka hasn't had the most positive attitude, but that's been changing over the last two to three years."

Art Department Associate Professor Azyz Sharafy, who is overseeing the project, said that the biggest problem would be limiting the violence in the game while still making it entertaining to younger players. In general, though, he was positive on the project. "It's good for Washburn, it's good for the students."

I'm still a bit unconvinced. A game won't get me to go out to Topeka, Kansas. Real zombies, on the other hand? Hell yeah, I'd go! You should get on that, Washburn University.

(CJOnline [http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=348&NewsID=989475&CategoryID=20365&on=1])

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
actually i think of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Bloo. He makes fun of it. =S

Oct 14, 2010
You have to credit Topeka and its people for trying neat ways to draw attention. Earlier this year they renamed themselves "Google, Kansas" to try to get the company to install faster internet connections there, and in 1998 they renamed themselves "Topikachu" for the release of Pokemon.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
mParadox said:
actually i think of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Bloo. He makes fun of it. =S
"It's hot in Topeka."
That's also what came to my mind.

OT: Zombies seem as good a way to bring some attention to it as anything else. Go for it, all you Topekanses.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Zombies are a great way to draw attention to stuff. There was once an outbreak in a mall somewhere and some photographer who had covered wars showed up. The mall got a lot of publicity from that.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
John Funk said:
...limiting the violence in the game while still making it entertaining to younger players...
Automatic trainwreck. I'm calling it now.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
First thing that comes to mind when someone says Topeka?

Ludo.

Second thing? Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. I love that show.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
And I thought a Topeka was something you put on your head in winter...

Why always zombies, why can't they simply build a pirate-ninja alliance headquarter there? That'd draw attention... and a huge nerd crowd to fill the Topekan comic book stores.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Im British and I have never heard Of Topeka until today.

"It's Hot in Topeka."

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Bleeeeegh, I used to have to go to Kansas on a yearly basis to visit my grandparents. I suppose if you like watching wheat grow, Kansas isn't a boring place.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
First thing that cam to my mind was Google. As in, "Topeka, Kansas has been since remaned to Google, Kansas." Let me just do a Topeka check to verify that statement.

Just_A_Glitch said:
First thing that comes to mind when someone says Topeka?

Ludo.

Second thing? Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. I love that show.
It's hooooot. Hot hot hot. It's hot in Topeka.

EDIT:

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
From the headline, and not knowing anything about US Geography, I thought Topeka was a ghost town. Really.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I was born in Topeka. There's several reasons why I didn't stay; boredom is the top three.

I'm sorry, guys. Your project is DOOOOOOOOMED!

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
topeka has a pretty awesome aquarium and a sub-par zoo. the highway system within the city is confusing as hell and there are alot of religious billboards around. I was only there for a hand full of days. not planning on going back anytime soon.