ZombiU Review

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
This is very much becoming a love it or hate it title.

Frankly, it looks right up my alley. It's a SURVIVAL horror game, and a lot of critics seem surprised by this and expect it to be a shooter with zombies straight out of Black Ops zombie modes.

No, this is true survival horror, where death has meaning and good use of resources can make the difference between an untimely death and a narrow victory.

In an age where Silent Hill has lost its way, Dead Space is horror ACTION, and Resident Evil is the world's dumbest action movie now, it's refreshing to see a game come out that lets you know you're going to die a very painful, very tragic death if you, the player, slip up, and that's something that's been missing from modern horror games for a very long time.

Welcome back, survival horror. I've missed you.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
I absolutely loved the return of survival horror too! A few issues bring the game down, but it totally nails the atmosphere a survival horror game should have.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
A bit curious as to why you guys are calling it a return to survival horror, when what defines old school survival horror is tank controls/puzzles/narrative of a particular character. If anything you could call it a new breed of survival horror, but I would not call it a return.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Rednog said:
A bit curious as to why you guys are calling it a return to survival horror, when what defines old school survival horror is tank controls/puzzles/narrative of a particular character. If anything you could call it a new breed of survival horror, but I would not call it a return.
You realize a game shouldn't be limited by it's gameplay right? For example, the metroid prime games are definitely metroid games, even though they are in the first person.
Survival horror is just that, a game where you don't have many resources and you are trying to survive in a game meant to scare you.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
I do not have much to ad other then that was a KICK ASS image at the end of the video. Almost enough to make me run out and buy a WiiU... If it had launched over here I mean; and I had the time to play it.

Now I am sad :(

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Good to here it turned out well, though just the presence of zombies in this day and age makes me roll my eyes and tune out.

Also interesting to see that it really doesn't make all that much use of the WiiU's special features.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I wonder how long we'll have to wait before WiiU games start coming out wherein "not as annoying as it could have been" is high praise for the player's relationship with controller-interface issues?

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
So does that mean we can expect Zombie U2?

OT I'm glad the pad is being used to enhance gameplay instead of just as an expensive gimmick *cough* Wii Remote *cough*

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Glad to see a positive review of this game. A lot of sites do seem to be mentioning one big thing though, which is that zombies might just take too many hits to take down with the cricket bat. Though if they lower the amount of hits, it then becomes like Dead Islands zombie massacre, where slashing through zombies becomes much less stressful. So i guess there isnt much middle ground when it comes to bashing zombies, but in a day and age where zombies are considered fodder more than threats, its nice to see a game try and bring them back to being a right pain in the ass to kill, even if it does come with the caveat of making it a bit tedious with long play sessions.

If i do pick up a WiiU sometime though, even if its a year or two down the line, i will definitely be picking this game up.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
It seems strange that you had mostly praise for the game but gave it a three. I'd like to see what issues you had that led you to that conclusion as the bottom line section left it out and small control and glitch issues don't seem like enough to justify such a score. Not trying to be a jerk or call you a terrible reviewer or anything, just interested is all.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
It's 2012 and it mystifies me why we're still using analogue sticks to aim in first person shooters, and "innovating" touchscreens for inventory management...when a simple mouse (invented in 1970's mind you) could easily trump ALL those gimmicks. These days a console is nothing more than a simplified computer, a proprietary box you must own to play exclusives.

Apparently console designers still haven't figured out that allowing people to attach a mouse+keyboard to their consoles would solve 99.9% of all interface/control issues and challenges. On top of that, it would open up entire GENRES to be fully playable on consoles which are borderline impossible to play today purely due to lacking the the controls to pull it off - RTS games, MMORPG's, dungeon crawlers like Diablo 3, etc. It also make FPS games a fuckload more intuitive to play....so the only question which remains is "WHY?!".

Callate said:
I wonder how long we'll have to wait before WiiU games start coming out wherein "not as annoying as it could have been" is high praise for the player's relationship with controller-interface issues?
I think the Wii set the bar so fucking low that Wii U looks almost godly compared to it, it seems more or less what has happened in this particular review...personally I can't wait to hear what Yahtzee has to say about this.

I have no idea how switching your eyes between two screens at different distances is "immersive" and not completely and utterly flow-breaking. Guess it's one of those things I have to play to understand?

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
That has got to be the most inappropriate title for the content of the game - does "ZombiU" evoke survival horror, vulnerability or desperation? No it evokes a cheapo party game - It's a small issue but it's super jarring.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
This looks... really good. Especially considering it's a launch title.

They'll have to offer up quite a few more really good titles though before I'm actually going to fork out for a Wii-U, especially after how much I hated the Wii, either that or I'm going to be waiting for the price to go down.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Story? There's a story?

Well it certainly makes it slightly more interesting, but that repetitive combat is laughable.

Nintendo will have to do better, because a zombie game is only as good as it's combat in my opinion.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I find observing how divisive the reactions it's garnering are is half the fun. The Escapist is mostly optimistic, GameSpot is frigidly positive, Gametrailers highlights the two-player mode that makes fun use of the gamepad as the one and only redeeming feature, and IGN slams the entire thing to the ground with as much contempt as your average reviewer can muster.

So it's all over the place.

It doesn't shake the feeling I have that I'll wait for a year or so without thinking to buy a Wii U. I want the games selection to fill up a little and devs to get used to the hardware.