ZombiU Review

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
I saw an interesting response to a certain damning review of the game. The comment compared the tired and boring RE6 which the site gave a pretty high score, with this game, which is actually doing something risky and interesting with the genre. Both games are buggy, clunky and at times pretty and at others ugly. One has a convoluted and cliched story which is instantly forgettable. The other has very little story. One isn't saddled with the weight of a new console which is in turn saddled with the legacy of perhaps the biggest home gaming phenomenon of all time. In the end, I almost never read game reviews unless I am torn between purchases.

Capcha: Zombie Prom

C'com, this shit aint random!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
A reviewer that... realizes this is a survival horror? Am I reading/hearing this right?

Dear Tito, thanks for making my day. Finally someone who doesn't compare this game to CoD's Zombie mode.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
A reviewer that... realizes this is a survival horror? Am I reading/hearing this right?

Dear Tito, thanks for making my day. Finally someone who doesn't compare this game to CoD's Zombie mode.
That or dead island(or dead rising). Seeing as gamespot was like

ZombiU is a game trapped in the wrong genre...ZombiU could have been an enjoyable action game, but instead it is a poor entry in the survival horror genre
Also in the gamespot review he said that when your character dies you can NOT retrieve your bag/items. While it is fully known(and mentioned it other reviews) that if you die and kill the zombie previous you, you can get your items back.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Idocreating said:
jollybarracuda said:
Glad to see a positive review of this game. A lot of sites do seem to be mentioning one big thing though, which is that zombies might just take too many hits to take down with the cricket bat.
And those reviewers are morons. This is clearly a survival horror game. The main focus is to survive above all else. By making even the weakness mook enemy a legitmate threat, you keep the player in a constant state of tension and awareness.
I think Jim Sterling has it nailed in his review.

<quote=Jim Sterling>ZombiU will be viewed through a very particular lens, one designed to scrutinize the Wii U's worth as a "hardcore" gaming system. One of the few original launch titles built to appeal to the lifelong gamer, many are going to judge its worth as a demonstration of the GamePad's functions and how they can make familiar experiences more engaging.

While that is a perfectly valid way to approach ZombiU, it is something of a tragedy that it shall be the near universal standard by which it is judged. For you see, the game does something far more important than that, something it won't get credit for, due to the lens everybody will be peering through.

ZombiU brings real survival horror back to home consoles, and that's what we should really be talking about.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Baron_BJ said:
Greg Tito, What are your thoughts with regards to the issue of being able to comfortably focus your eyes and deal with the alternation of the Television and touch screen? Also how far were you from your television (it's hard to get a good grasp in the footage you recorded, though it does show exactly what you intended; how the interface related to the game, so one can't fault you for that) and, if you're comfortable disclosing the information, do require glasses or anything of the sort (just wondering whether you're able to give input on being a person with eye problems or as a person with good vision). I ask because although some people have used them in test booths at conventions for 10 to 20 minutes you have played one in the comfort of your own home for prolonged periods of time which would be the real test in this situation.
I played in a variety of settings. In the office in a rolling chair about five feet away from the TV and at home on my couch about ten feet away. Obviously, YMMV, but I didn't find it odd to look down then back at the TV. There was no real fatigue between focusing on different distances, I think that's a figment of everyone's collective imagination.

In fact, as I said in the review, because the scanner looks vaguely like the Gamepad, it kind of added to the experience to hold something that felt true to the game world.

Hope that answers your question.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Sounds pretty awesome, including the avatar-approach, although it might completely devalue the avatars. I'm sure the pros will try to finish the game without losing a single survivor, but to most they'll probably just be nameless nobodies to be replaced by the next nameless nobody. As for the drag developing over time? Sounds like what happened to me with Doom 3. It may be scary at first, but when you completely expect creatures to jump out at you at every moment, it just becomes a question of reflexes and tedium, less so of actual apprehension. They threw in the Delta Labs to mix things up a bit, but other than that it got old and samey quite fast. Anyway, this would require me to buy a new console, so... no.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
I really do hate it when people say ?oh you?re doing it wrong? when I am playing a game, that just mean?s the game is bad at explaining what I am supposed to be doing (or I genuinely do suck at that game :p). But for the first time I legitimately think ZombiU might have been played wrong by some people thinking its L4D. Now I don't know this for a fact because I don't have a Wii U. But I have seen many gameplay vids and it honestly looks like a fun survival horror game, will be buying eventually.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
jecht35 said:
I really do hate it when people say ?oh you?re doing it wrong? when I am playing a game, that just mean?s the game is bad at explaining what I am supposed to be doing (or I genuinely do suck at that game :p). But for the first time I legitimately think ZombiU might have been played wrong by some people thinking its L4D. Now I don't know this for a fact because I don't have a Wii U. But I have seen many gameplay vids and it honestly looks like a fun survival horror game, will be buying eventually.
Yeah, I watched some gameplay/Let's Play videos and people were going out of their way to kill/loot zombies, often getting themselves killed because of it. I was just sitting there thinking, "Look at your game mechanics. Combat is so not in your favor between what look like rather sticky attack controls, limited ammunition for firearms and the enemy having instant death as an optional attack. This is not a game encouraging you to seek and destroy all zombies. Why are you putting yourself in highly fatal situations? And for god's sake at least clear the room before you start looting things on an entirely different screen you fool!"

And then they die because a zombie crunched them while they were sorting through another zombie's corpse. ~.~

If this were a PC game I would consider it. The controls look really awkward which is a turn-off, but I do like their atmosphere and concept. Since it's Wii U exclusive, though, and I'm not planning to pick up that console, oh well.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
jollybarracuda said:
Glad to see a positive review of this game. A lot of sites do seem to be mentioning one big thing though, which is that zombies might just take too many hits to take down with the cricket bat. Though if they lower the amount of hits, it then becomes like Dead Islands zombie massacre, where slashing through zombies becomes much less stressful. So i guess there isnt much middle ground when it comes to bashing zombies, but in a day and age where zombies are considered fodder more than threats, its nice to see a game try and bring them back to being a right pain in the ass to kill, even if it does come with the caveat of making it a bit tedious with long play sessions.

If i do pick up a WiiU sometime though, even if its a year or two down the line, i will definitely be picking this game up.
i know. part of the horror behind zombies is that if you dont have a gun they just. dont. die. i feel this embodies that. dead island was supposed to be what this game is, and people grill this game.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I like the novelty of permanent death and respawning as someone else, heh, reminds me of Destroy All Humans! where you were just a clone (Cryptosporidium #137) on a mission to recover your "brother" #136, and every time you died you were renamed as a progressivly higher number.

"A Cryptosporidium captured by a bunch of monkeys! We gotta go in, we gotta crack some craniums. I've gotta rescue me - him - he's gotta rescue me - I mean we gotta - I gotta - brains, man - WHEN DO I GET TO BLOW THINGS UP?"

nexus

May 30, 2012
I'd like to try this out, but I really really don't want to buy another Nintendo console I will not use after 3 months. Especially since all the "resellers" bought out the WiiU stock from sites I usually buy from; all of them wiped from Amazon and now on Ebay no doubt.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
this looks so boring. looks like Left4Dead without the co-op. And that game is boring after a few hours. They may have a lot of levels but it's the enemies that make it so boring. Fighting 1 type of enemy the whole game it just stupid. Try to imagine any of your favorite games, minus all the enemies except for one.

Imagine Mario with just goombas the whole game. Or Final Fantasy with just Imps recolored the whole game.

I understand the concept of wanting to make a hardcore pure-zombie shooter but there's a reason Resident Evil chose to add more than zombies. Because it would get really boring other wise.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
this game alone was enough to convince me to buy a wiiU. it looks fun and terrifying.

i love the idea of there being no heroes, only victims.

It proves how insignificant you really are in the zombie apocalypse by showing how you can easily be replaced by the next poor bastard in line and how you (the you who died you) now is just another undead. you're just one in a million. you're not the great hero that will save us all, you're the working class peasant who's just trying to go one more day without having teeth marks all over their body. kind of like the way you and i will the day the dead actually wake up for a meat snack

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
This seems basically like a slower paced version of Left4Dead mixed with Condemned, with rather terrible graphics to boot.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Hmm, looks interesting. I've never really been a fan of the idea of a horror game, so I haven't really played a survival horror game before, but this looks really interesting. It'll definitely be worth a look when I get a Wii U.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Aaron Sylvester said:
I'll break it down for you, champ: RTSes, MMORPGs, MOBAs, and dungeon crawlers (the latter of which includes Zelda) are all boring, the keyboard is a big slab of over a hundred two-state buttons that's used by devs merely as an excuse to make their games as ungodly complicated as possible, and your precious mouse is a dumb lump of plastic you drag across a desk like a frickin' palsy victim with absolutely no correlation to in-game motion, whose advantages it grants to the user in precision and accuracy don't change the fact that said user is still dragging a dumb lump of plastic across a desk like a frickin' palsy victim with absolutely no correlation to in-game motion. Good for spreadsheets, 3D modelling, file management, and a bunch of other handy tasks but ultimately just a productivity tool.

Y'know what I did? I dropped a hundred dollars on a Razer Hydra. It's a Wiimote-like device for the PC and I bought it to replace KB/M for the games I play. Yes, I spent extra money to equip the gaming PC I built - one that that has a perfectly functional mouse and keyboard, mind you - with not only a console-style control method, but a Wii-style control method. Why? Because I like it more and I'm a guy playing a video game and not a damn laser cutter, so precision can go screw itself sideways along with all those who value robotic efficiency and the biggest "edge" that represent everything that's wrong with video games. Games are not a @#$!ing job, not even if you try to make them one by being a "professional" gamer instead of getting actual work like everybody else.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
VinLAURiA said:
I'll break it down for you, champ: RTSes, MMORPGs, MOBAs, and dungeon crawlers (the latter of which includes Zelda) are all boring
Thanks for the feedback, I'm sure the developers of all those genres will gladly take your subjective opinion and proceed to throw it into a bin.

VinLAURiA said:
the keyboard is a big slab of over a hundred two-state buttons that's used by devs merely as an excuse to make their games as ungodly complicated as possible,
Actually the keyboard used for typing words. That's why it has so many keys, so people can type on it. Games aren't it's only purpose and developers know that. And there are plenty of uncomplicated games on PC (literally MILLIONS of free flash/browser games for a start), did you forget about those?
VinLAURiA said:
and your precious mouse is a dumb lump of plastic you drag across a desk like a frickin' palsy victim with absolutely no correlation to in-game motion,
And pressing buttons on a controller has correlation to holding an assault rifle or punching someone in games? Wooo double standards. Actually no, triple standards.
VinLAURiA said:
whose advantages it grants to the user in precision and accuracy don't change the fact that said user is still dragging a dumb lump of plastic across a desk like a frickin' palsy victim with absolutely no correlation to in-game motion. Good for spreadsheets, 3D modelling, file management, and a bunch of other handy tasks but ultimately just a productivity tool.
Yes, a productivity tool which is both highly accurate and intuitive, which is why it's used in so many productivity tasks, which is why it works so well for gaming. You're sorta proved my point there.
Also you seem to hate plastic a lot - what is your Razer Hydra made out of exactly? Platinum? Looks like lumps of plastic to me, rather colorful lumps of plastic I would give my 3-year-old to play with.
Also you do realize you can get mice made of aluminum...or would you then resort to saying "dragging a dumb lump of aluminum across a desk"?

VinLAURiA said:
Y'know what I did? I dropped a hundred dollars on a Razer Hydra. It's a Wiimote-like device for the PC and I bought it to replace KB/M for the games I play. Yes, I spent extra money to equip the gaming PC I built - one that that has a perfectly functional mouse and keyboard, mind you - with not only a console-style control method, but a Wii-style control method. Why? Because I like it more and I'm a guy playing a video game and not a damn laser cutter, so precision can go screw itself sideways along with all those who value robotic efficiency and the biggest "edge" that represent everything that's wrong with video games. Games are not a @#$!ing job, not even if you try to make them one by being a "professional" gamer instead of getting actual work like everybody else.
Well have fun with your Portal controller (because that's the only game it works well with apparently), it's good that you find motion controls more fun than KB/M. That's all fine, to each their own. But you won't get anywhere trying to prove that those controls are more efficient/accurate/etc compared to KB/M, and the product itself hasn't proven it either with only ~29 customer reviews across BOTH Amazon and Newegg which are fairly representative of how well a product has sold in comparison to other products. Jack-all people have bought it, and there's a reason for that. I'll let you figure it out.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Aaron Sylvester said:
But you won't get anywhere trying to prove that those controls are more efficient/accurate/etc compared to KB/M
Wow. You really don't get it, do you?