Zoolander 2 Character Posters Show Off the Crazy Cast - And Penelope Cruz

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Zoolander 2 Character Posters Show Off the Crazy Cast - And Penelope Cruz

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1017/1017887.jpg

The sequel has been a long time coming, but Zoolander 2 is now only a couple months away. Paramount Pictures wants you know some of the cast beyond Ben Stiller's Derek and Owen Wilson's Hansel, so they released some character posters.

It's been 15 years since we witnessed the crazy escapades of male model Derek Zoolander, but early next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140067-Zoolander-2-Coming-February-12-2016], he and his partner Hansel McDonald will return to the runway in Zoolander 2 (or 2oolander). In addition to the regular movie poster, Paramount Pictures has released several other posters showing off a few other characters.

In addition to posters of Derek (played by Ben Stiller) and Hansel (Owen Wilson), we have the ever-sultry Penelope Cruz as Interpol agent Melanie Valentina. Kristen Wiig stars as the eccentric Alexanya Atoz, and Will Farrell returns as the even more eccentric Jacobim Mugatu.

The plot basically has Derek and Hansel in Europe 10 years after the original movie (which came out in 2001) ended. The two are considered a bit washed up, but people start to die with Zoolander's trademark Blue Steel look on their faces (for those wanting to see Justin Bieber die, now is your chance). Cruz recruits the two to help solve the case.

The movie has already received a bit of controversy as Benedict Cumberbatch - who did not get a poster - does a turn as the androgynous model All, and Owen Wilson asks if he has "a hotdog or a bun." An online petition [http://www.thepetitionsite.com/549/222/494/boycott-zoolander-2-for-its-offensive-representation-of-non-binary-individuals/] is asking people to boycott the movie because of the "over-the-top, cartoonish mockery of androgyne/trans/non-binary individuals." It has already received almost 22,000 of the 25,000 signatures it is seeking.

"I don't even know what to make of it, because it hurts my feelings in a way," co-writer Justin Theroux, who co-wrote the script with Stiller, told the Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/zoolander-2-writer-justin-theroux-compares-transgender-boycott-to-tropic-thunder-outrage-exclusive/]. "I take great care in the jokes I write, and the umbrage being taken is out of the context of the scene. I wish people would see the movie first. Satire is a thing that points out the idiots, and we went through it on Tropic Thunder with the 'R' word."

[gallery=5194]

Check out the posters and the trailer for the film, which is scheduled to be released on Feb. 12.

Source: Imgur [http://imgur.com/a/aKURP]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Whoever designed Wiig's hair, makeup and dress deserves all of the awards. All of them.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
John Keefer said:
The movie has already received a bit of controversy as Benedict Cumberbatch - who did not get a poster - does a turn as the androgynous model All, and Owen Wilson asks if he has "a hotdog or a bun." An online petition [http://www.thepetitionsite.com/549/222/494/boycott-zoolander-2-for-its-offensive-representation-of-non-binary-individuals/] is asking people to boycott the movie because of the "over-the-top, cartoonish mockery of androgyne/trans/non-binary individuals." It has already received almost 22,000 of the 25,000 signatures it is seeking.

Really? Have they forgotten that the central joke of the first movie was that the male models were tactless morons, prone to saying wildly inappropriate things because they're too stupid to know better? Anyone upset over that just needs to... Relax!

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Starik20X6 said:
Really? Have they forgotten that the central joke of the first movie was that the male models were tactless morons, prone to saying wildly inappropriate things because they're too stupid to know better? Anyone upset over that just needs to... Relax!
I've been rewatching some of my favourite comedies lately (like Ace Ventura and Something About Mary), and I'm quite sad that probably none of the 90's and early 00's flicks would make it today without causing some sort of controversy.

Where did we go wrong?

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I think this may be quite definately something that... I don't know where I was going but hey Zoolander was strange and this is very strange so maybe watch it maybe rent it or maybe just read a review and stop there.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
ugh. It's a damn comedy. It looks like it swings the joke stick pretty widely too, i really wish we'd start using boycotts exclusively for real problems, not jokes with no malice behind them.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Aside from Cruz who is a boring actress this sounds like it might top the original. I wonder though in a morbid moment if this sequel would have happened if Owen Wilson had succeed in his suicide attempt fro ma few years ago.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Imre Csete said:
Starik20X6 said:
I've been rewatching some of my favourite comedies lately (like Ace Ventura and Something About Mary), and I'm quite sad that probably none of the 90's and early 00's flicks would make it today without causing some sort of controversy.

Where did we go wrong?
Excellent choice of movies! I think too many people nowadays confuse depiction with promotion; people forget that not every action taken by a character, protagonist or otherwise, is meant to show that action as positive.

Ace Ventura's reaction to finding out Einhorn is a man is deliberately over-the-top as to be comedic (and as I've said before, Einhorn isn't trans, he's insane, so if everyone can disembark from the "Ace Ventura is transphobic" righteous-indignation train, that'd be fantastic). When Pat Healy says "my real passion is my hobby; I work with retards", it's not the Farrelly Bros. insulting the differently abled, it's them using that language to better illustrate what a shitbag the character of Healy is.