Zynga and Rebellion Scheme With Evil Genius Online

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
It was the first island huh? You can't beat them until the second island. Everyone except the very last super agent has a weakness but can only be exploited later in the game.
There's a second island? How do you get to it? I had all the rooms that could be built, but the only way to progress was to get specialized henchmen which required a type of henchmen that I didn't have access to.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
UGH.

Now I feel fucking dirty.

I'm stating that this news story never happened, the product isn't evil genius, and I'm going to go back to my secret island base and dip a bikini clad woman into the giant cake mixer one more time just for fun.

Its consensual cake mixing.

Stop looking at me like that.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Which henchmen didn't you have?
Only got the guy with the afro, guy with the rocket launcher and that old alchemist/mind control(?) woman. I managed to get all the evil leaders in for the conference, then the agents show up and spoil everything.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
There is also a factual error in this article, Rebellion are not the original developers they simply published it... the original developers went under because this title didnt sell well enough at launch, it was a hit that fell under the radar of the majority of gamers until later on Steam sales.

Maybe a indie will get around to making a true spiritual successor to this brilliant title because the top developers/publishers sure as hell wont stop churning out easy and safe sequels and clones while we sheep lap up every yearly re-re-re-re-release of IP's.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Frankster said:
being able to pointlessly execute your henchmen if they have failed you for the last time...its weird you could never do that in evil genius)
You could do that to your minions at least in Evil Genius. The henchmen are far too valuable to just kill them wily nilly anyway.

Jul 31, 2013
Hey, it's Evil Genius!!! Oh, I remember you, you little bastard child of Dungeon Keeper! Aah, stealing the Eiffel Tower, rebuilding my own secret volcano base after trying to kill the lovechild of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li by unleashing a crazy commie henchmen with a bazooka on them, literally brainwashing my nuclear scientists into obedience... good times, good times...

What? It's getting a sequel!? Wake the trombone players, fire off all the fireworks!!! Evil Genius is back, with the help of good old Zynga! Hold on a second...

ZYYYYYYYYYYYYNGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
CJ1145 said:
I loved that game. To see it being violated by Zynga is just... wrong. Multiplayer feels like a natural expansion for this kind of game, but "Social games" just leave a bad taste in my mouth. They carry connotations of pay-to-win dynamics and stupid gimmicks to drag in new players. I can't help but feel like this is the direction we're going, because I honestly can't recall a Zynga game that didn't stick to the Farmville format, and there's no way I'm playing another of those. Even if it does have a paintjob in the style of one of my favorite older games.
The thought process I had:

"A new Evil Genius is being made" - Awesome!
"It's an online game" - Annoying but ok, fun times ahead.
"To be published by Zynga" - And interest is lost with 1 fell swoop.

Would be great to play if it was you know, a real sequel to Evil Genius, not an online game and most definitely not got anything to do with Zynga.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
CyberMachinist said:
Neverhoodian said:
I literally grimaced in dismay upon reading the headline.

I wanted another Evil Genius game, but not like this...not like this...
LittleMikey said:
*cries*

I was hoping for a Evil Genius return for years, but... not like this!
So i take it a monkeys paw was involved in this?

If only we could get a spiritual successor..... Wasn't their a flash game that was sort of like a successor for this game?
I think it was called "Mastermind: world conqueror"
I did play that, and enjoyed it. Link is here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/theswain/mastermind-world-conquerer? if anyone else is interested.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
IanDavis said:
Despite its flaws, 2004's Evil Genius remains a fondly remembered title. It took the whole Dungeon Keeper management simulator and painted it in 60's super-spy psychedelica. So what if I told you that it's returning later this year as [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/8/4603674/rebellion-bringing-evil-genius-online-for-facebook-and-zynga]Evil Genius Online[/a] ? Pretty cool, eh? No, it's not thanks to Kickstarter, it's Zynga! Wait, don't go!
I read this far and then stopped caring.

Sorry.