Zynga and Rebellion Scheme With Evil Genius Online

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
This has actually just put me in a sad mood, I loved that game. Was hoping for a sequel (haven't been keeping up with who owned the IP)

Welp, time to give it a send off

*burns Evil Genius disk*

Side note: Do people actually still play social games? Not talking about casual games, Peggle and co have high player numbers and that's fine, but things like Farmville. Strikes me as a dying market ruled by a dying publisher, not sure why they'd want to put the IP into that.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I bought the game on GoG a while back. Fun for a while, then the invulnerable Secret Agents ran rampant on my little island. Stopped being fun then.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
Just release a sequel! It would be a day-one purchase for myself and absolutely thousands of other people.
Exactly. A day one purchase. However, why make a game that is only sold once, when you can make a game that the same player will buy over and over again? That's what the world has become :/

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
You know what this makes me want to do? Makes me want to buy the game again on GOG. Seriously, this news makes me sad, but I want the creators of this game to know that there's one more fan of the old game. So if this ticks you off, head to Steam or GOG and go buy it... buy it again if you feel like it.

Wish I could find my disk version, but I dunno how well it would run on 7. Honestly the disk version wasn't the most stable game in the world anyway. But I'd still play it again, if just for the music alone.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
No. Just no.

I have been waiting for years for something to happen with a new Evil Genius. Zynga? Facebook? cash grab cow clicker style?

No.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008

God why!! Why won't Zynga just. Fucking. DIE??!?! Of all the games they could bastardize, they had to pick this one. I just...I think I might need to cry in the corner for a bit.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Evil genius wasn't the best game but it had some interesting ideas and the setup was fun, who doesn't want to be an Evil Genius. I'd hoped someone would pick this idea up and do a proper if only spiritual successor to the game but I doubt that will happen.

Also social games are the devil.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
Neverhoodian said:
I literally grimaced in dismay upon reading the headline.

I wanted another Evil Genius game, but not like this...not like this...
LittleMikey said:
*cries*

I was hoping for a Evil Genius return for years, but... not like this!
So i take it a monkeys paw was involved in this?

If only we could get a spiritual successor..... Wasn't their a flash game that was sort of like a successor for this game?
I think it was called "Mastermind: world conqueror"

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Thank goodness I have my original Evil Genius CD buried somewhere in ye olde game closet. Zynga can never take that away from me. Breakdance-torture minions all day, every day!

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Guess I will need good old http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ today. Good thing they can't take away my GOG copy.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Scorched_Cascade said:
Welp, time to give it a send off

*burns Evil Genius disk*
You're my boy, Blue!

I guess this is Don 'Infinite Jackets' Mattrick's strategy, rather than shamelessly ripping off popular games they get popular developers to ruin their own games. I wonder if they will manage to convince Squeenix to make a FFVII social game. Given that they have already made All The Bravest it isn't too far fetched.

ThatQuietGuy

May 22, 2013
Well that's upsetting news. I quite liked the first Evil Genius, flaws and all, and I've been waiting for news of a sequel for some time but I never wanted this...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Fuck, I saw evil genius in the title and squealed, then I read more of it.

Just why, why would zynga taint it like this.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Oh cmon i wait years for a followup to evil genius or even just a mediocre clone of it and this is what we get?

Sod it all.

CyberMachinist said:
If only we could get a spiritual successor..... Wasn't their a flash game that was sort of like a successor for this game?
I think it was called "Mastermind: world conqueror"
Masterminds pretty decent for a flash game with some ideas id have liked to see in an evil genius sequel (different locations for bases, the technology tree and being able to pointlessly execute your henchmen if they have failed you for the last time...its weird you could never do that in evil genius) but lack of base/lair building goes against it.