Zynga Bites Back Against EA Lawsuit, Files Counterclaim

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011

Ah, yes, it was only a matter of time.

Really, I think this whole situation can only be a win-win for the game industry. Let's hope the battle is long and drawn out, as legal matters are often wont to be, so that these two lovecraftian entities that call themselves corporation cannibalize each other into oblivion.

Hopeful thinking I know, but the idea of Zynga and EA viciously tearing into each other's poor business practices makes me giddy.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
RJ 17 said:
Not quite the lesser of two evils...but rather the evil of two lessers.
Pretty much what I was going to say. Almost note-for-note. Are you in my head? Get out! GET OUT!

Anyway, this whole situation is becoming ludicrous. It's like watching Satan take Cthulhu to court. And we're the jury.

No matter who we side with, we all lose.

captcha: ham and cheese

Hmm. You know...that's not a bad idea. I could go for a sammich right about now.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Mirroga said:
Plagiarizing/Zero-Creativity VS IP Destroyers and Massive Cloning.

Ummmm guys...is there a third party I can side with on this?
Sure is. It's the "To hell with both of them" party.

We're of the mindset that both companies should lose out in this "legal battle". We are hopeful for a long, drawn-out court case(s) that leads to a substantial diminishing of both respective companies monetary funds.

We also hope for extensive media coverage of the events so that the public at large can finally see just how greedy, manipulative, and misguided both companies are. And that this, in turn, leads to a mass exodus of share-holders on both sides.

If you like these ideals and you're interested in joining our party, the sign-up booth is just down the hall.

Oh, and be sure to grab yourself a free t-shirt or hat!

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I would side with EA, as some people have stated they have done new things. but really, what are these new things? I have to think pretty hard for anything EA has done recently that was completely original. I dunno, this whole thing seems petty and pointless. I hope it ends up costing them both.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Bwhahaha! More 3000, eh? Okay, yeah, sure, I believe you. True story, right? Over 3000 people wanted to stop working for a triple-A company making big games to instead go work for a copy/paste company that makes flash games.

But maybe Zynga isn't spouting a colossal lie... maybe it's just the same ten people sending them resume's over and over and over. Bwahaha, you suck Zynga.

At least they made a good point that EA is trying to turn game designing into a monopoly. But I don't think the courts are going to do something about that now that ZYNGA has pointed it out. Bwaha... you SUCK Zynga.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
TheDrunkNinja said:
This is sooo not going to end well...
Agreed.

I do like both of EA's and Zynga's games, but sooner or later the line that divides the intellectual properties is going to be stretched so thin that the only differences are going to lie in the story and maybe a subtle difference here and there in the gameplay.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Mirroga said:
Plagiarizing/Zero-Creativity VS IP Destroyers and Massive Cloning.

Ummmm guys...is there a third party I can side with on this?
Sure is. It's the "To hell with both of them" party.

We're of the mindset that both companies should lose out in this "legal battle". We are hopeful for a long, drawn-out court case(s) that leads to a substantial diminishing of both respective companies monetary funds.

We also hope for extensive media coverage of the events so that the public at large can finally see just how greedy, manipulative, and misguided both companies are. And that this, in turn, leads to a mass exodus of share-holders on both sides.

If you like these ideals and you're interested in joining our party, the sign-up booth is just down the hall.

Oh, and be sure to grab yourself a free t-shirt or hat!
Can I join this party? I don't have any popcorn, but I'm willing to part with my bag of Sour Creme and Cheddar Lays.

I don't really care about Zynga, but their practices are really bad for consumers. And I hate EA more for what they did to Bioware and the damned online pass.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
CleverCover said:
Can I join this party? I don't have any popcorn, but I'm willing to part with my bag of Sour Creme and Cheddar Lays.

I don't really care about Zynga, but their practices are really bad for consumers. And I hate EA more for what they did to Bioware and the damned online pass.
You sure can. All are welcome!

Lays chips will be just fine. No popcorn required for attendance.

It is, however, BYOB.

Oh, and don't forget your free shirt or hat. (I prefer that hat myself)

Teacakes

Sep 5, 2012
Let's see, between the soulless intellectual thieves and the soulless corporate behemoth...I'm going to have to go with a seat in the back of the theater and a bucket of buttered popcorn.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Do both sides have the money to cause serious financial damage to the other through a long drawn out court battle?

Let's hope so!

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Both employ a lot of people, I've seen how companies like this work when a situation like this arises and it tightens money it's not the jackasses at the top who take the hit, or the 'product' it's the people at the bottom. So I hope they figure it out like grownups.

Schtoobs

Feb 8, 2012
If we're lucky the CEO's and fat cats from Zynga and EA will all die in a plane crash.
Oh there's a lawsuit between them? Well, whoever loses, I win.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
As much as I don't like Zynga, I have to side with them. Zynga's target audience isn't me, so they haven't even touched anything that I like. EA is just killing things, and seems the greater evil in this.

Plus, if those claims Zynga makes are true (haven't followed anything besides this article), then I'd go for them regardless. Moves like that--that EA makes--are just them bullying other companies. I get that they want to make a profit, but that's just not right.

I think Zynga will win, hurt EA a very little bit, and then continue to die as it has been.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
supersupersuperguy said:
I'm not sure who to side with.

EA seems to enjoy trying to take out the competition (with their purchases of smaller companies and their alleged attempt to buy Valve) so that they can see more cash, but Zynga has a reputation for imitating other companies' IPs, such as this recent game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119567-Zyngas-New-Game-Pulls-From-Pokemon-Rage-of-Bahamut]. Both of them have some... less than scrupulous money generating techniques, to put it lightly.

Part of me just wants to say "screw this, I'm out", but I'm really intrigued by how this could play out.

EDIT: After thinking about it a bit, I can't help but feel that an "Internet Fight"-type gif would be appropriate right now. Sadly, I can't find a good enough one.
I don't know much about Zynga, but sounds like they just copy games and make crappy knock-offs. While douchey, it's easily ignored, like trash under your bed. It isn't as bad as buying up the original IP and then screwing it over SO HARD that it cannot sell anymore.

Zynga is the equivalent of a man yelling at your window because the voices in his head told him to. EA is the equivalent of a pedophile committing arson with a dead skunk's corpse while mooning the owner of the home.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Let them act like children. Maybe they'll destroy eachother in a long, overwinded fight and something good will come out of this.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
this does not really make zynga any teeth, they are simply trying to delay the inevitable.