Zynga Founder Mark Pincus Is Bored With Games

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Well I came into this thread with snark to offer, but it appears I've been ninja's about 17 times. Ah well. Good to know we all share the same revulsion to the 'Villes of the gaming world I guess.

I'll try to think up an appropriate zinger just the same.

Uh...
"What do you want to do tonight Brain?"
"Same thing we do every night Pincus... TRY TO MAKE THE MOST BORING CRAP IN THE WORLD"

"It's Pincus and the Brain
It's Pincus and the Brain
One is a genius
The other hates games!"

Yeah, Mark? You do know there's more to gaming than browser-based cruft and Cookie Clicker wannabes, right? You don't need a beastly PC or a console, either! Try this Minecraft thing, maybe? Or, oh! Load up one of the oldies, like Myst!

My guess is he doesn't. As soon as a game is just barely more than a straight-up Skinner Box reskin, he loses interest.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Klytus, I'm bored with games. What play thing can you offer me today?

"A game about mining space minerals. The men call it, 'astroid ville.'"

How normal and fun it looks.

"Most effective, Your Majesty. Will you cancel this 'Astroid Ville?'"

Later. I like to play with thing a while before annihilation.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
<youtube=MS4_Z84-rRE>

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Has he ever played a proper game before? I'd start with Jazz JackRabbit, The Lost Vikings and commando keen , then go some Zelda, minecraft and Sid Meier's Alpha Centuri.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Wow. I read the headline and was going to make a lame joke about how he must have played his own games but that's... actually what he's been doing... Now I'm just sad.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
course, I'm kinda 'burnt out on games to' but thats really only the AAA market, indie games still make me happy
That's exactly it. We're essentially in something of a golden age for gaming right now. Given how many excellent games there are out there across any genre, playstyle, commitment level, cost, etc. there are right now, if you're not finding something that you can enjoy then you're just not looking.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
So heroin not doing it anymore for you Mark? Wanna try speedballs? Maybe some meth?
Seriously, only playing your own games seems a bit egotistical and short-sighted. And these are Zynga "games" we're talking about so... Talk about stretching the meaning of a word.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
I fully expect that soon he will be making movies that you have to pay micro-transactions on if you wish to watch more than five minutes a day.

Jackel86

May 3, 2008
What? A guy who ran his company and designed his games solely based on how he could get the most money for the least amount of work or creativity turns out to not really care about the medium? I'm shocked.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
As a game industry recruiter in Tokyo, I've seen first hand how these companies have shocked and essentially changed the entire industry for the worst. I could write a big long book about the chaos the sub-industry of "social games" has caused and this guy would certainly make a strong appearance in chapter 1.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
Oh great, a man who doesn't like video games makes video games. I know that's not exactly what he said but who cares? This guy should quit now. Not because "he doesn't make hardcore games for our master race, snur snur snur" like every other fucker on this site says but because in order to make something that lasts you have to enjoy it yourself. If a creator doesn't like his own work then he will put little to no effort into it, and if you put no effort into something then it is inevitably going to suck. I think this guy should quit now so that doesn't happen to him and so that he doesn't end up churning out the waves that are video games in his sea of future apathy.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Right now, I'm pretty bored with all games." He used to be hooked on fare like FarmVille and CityVille when they were new, he explained, but nothing has come along in more recent times to replace them. "I want that addiction again,"
This could apply to nearly every single 'casual' player that created the 'facebook-ville' bubble.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Muphin_Mann said:
I fully expect that soon he will be making movies that you have to pay micro-transactions on if you wish to watch more than five minutes a day.
They would also be rip-offs of successful independent movies or so formulaic that you can work out the entire plot from the trailer.

Frankly I have no sympathy for Pincus, if he is bored of his own games then he deserves to be bored. It just goes to show that they don't make anything that is fun and there is no passion in their development except for the bit about raking in money (which they aren't even doing any more).

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Pink Gregory said:
It sounds here like he's only every played his own games.

How do things like that happen?
I have been gaming for over 30 years and I am also getting bored with games.
Yeah but, 30 years is a long ass time man.

Thats like, more than twice the reign of Nero. Thats like, sevenish leap years. Thats like, 11.1 blue moons. You could span three cicada blooms in that time. At least three and a half presidents. Superbowl 17. Ewoks, national lampoon, brown suits, and the invention of the McNugget.

I'll be there soon brah, but like ford says in the captcha, I'm Please Enter: Built Ford Tough

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Lawyer105 said:
My first thought was : How can you be bored with games?! You haven't made any.

My second thought was : No, seriously... those aren't games. They're Skinner boxes in drag.

My third thought was : Actually, I'm being kind of a tit, aren't I? It's no fun to hate your job, to lose enjoyment in anything, let alone something as important as that.

I recommend that we introduce the poor dude to the Kerbal Space Program.

I bought it on a Steam sale. At the same time as I bought Tomb Raider, Hitman: Absolution and a couple of other big name titles. I have yet (over a month later) to install said big name titles. KSP is awesome.

Go try that, Mr. Zynga. Look hard. Then go back to work and make THAT sort of thing your priority.
I would advise against that - With Zynga's track record, all they'll do is rip off KSP, making a dumbed down clone repackaged for mass market, with microtransactions up the wazoo.
I wish I was over exaggerating, but it's basically their business model. Making something like KSP is best left to people with creativity and imagination, who are willing to take bold risks in innovation.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Give him an Xbox, or a Wii U, or something. Then he wont be bored with games, since ya know...he can actually play them for once.

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
Kameburger said:
As a game industry recruiter in Tokyo, I've seen first hand how these companies have shocked and essentially changed the entire industry for the worst. I could write a big long book about the chaos the sub-industry of "social games" has caused and this guy would certainly make a strong appearance in chapter 1.
Oh man, you can't just drop a huge story like that and not elaborate! Normal gamers like me are dying to see real evidence that the social games thing has in fact done us a disservice. I really want to know how things have changed. Tell meeeeee.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Is this the thread where we all make the exact same joke about how Zynga sucks and their games aren't fun?

I just want to be sure I'm in the right place.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
DoveAlexa said:
Kameburger said:
Oh man, you can't just drop a huge story like that and not elaborate! Normal gamers like me are dying to see real evidence that the social games thing has in fact done us a disservice. I really want to know how things have changed. Tell meeeeee.
I suppose the qualifier that was left out would be "in my opinion," but never the less I could definitely see the desire gamers to know how this effects us. The truth is that it is not social games themselves that are inherently bad, its the process of monetizing them that becomes particularly dicey. The short version is your nostalgia, because of the success of "Social Games" will now be exploited to the shallowest extent.

Lets take for example Matsuda-san, the new head of Square Enix, comes out and says current business models are unsustainable and in need of reform [http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/05/square-enix-president-yosuke-matsuda-feels-the-company-must-reform-with-urgency/], what he means is that basically as many of you know, AAA development is too expensive and does not yield the kind of results unless you hit a home run. Actually what is implied here is that Square Enix, in order to justify their AAA dev teams, they need to start pumping out games that turn a profit. And if you want to thinking about the game that yielded Square great profits this year, you need look no further then Final Fantasy: All The Bravest. Now probably this game cost literally next to nothing to make, and yet they charge a ridiculous amount for pixel sprites of your favorite characters that you don't even get to choose (Also if you transfer them between devices you get the same number but they are all randomized). You could argue that this was an experiment, but now how much do you think the companies mobile departments have grown?

Now this is just one example, but now you have to look at the GREE bubble that collapsed last year, when their primary system of monetization, The complete Gotcha system was outlawed in Japan. Complete Gotcha, which already sounds like it's trying to steal your wallet, is a system by which you pay for a chance to role the dice for an item you might want. Whatever item you get is random, but if you want lets say, a green hat for your avatar, you can pay 100 yen (roughly 1 dollar) and get a hat, but you have no assurance that it'll be what you want, but you still payed. Essentially you're gambling for something that you may not get but instead of occasionally taking the house, like you might rarely do in vegas, you're literally just handing over Money for simple sprites that you won't even permanently keep and to top it all off which is the most important part of the system, it would be billed straight to your phone bill instead of requiring a credit card. So children with smartphones in Japan, which is a lot more then it sounds, started running up thousands of dollars in monthly credit card bills. People were pissed, the phone companies got overwhelmed dealing with all the claims, and it was outlawed, 2 years into its run.

GREE, during that time went from around 300 people to 3000 people worldwide, and built offices all around the world. Following the ban on their system, and realizing that their games were not properly localized for foreign audiences, GREE began closing offices and sacking staff or pushing them out. Now lets forget that now hundreds of game industry developers were sacked, now they are walking around attached to the stigma of being involved with the type of gaming that could least be called art in the entire industry and talented people who were offered money they would be stupid to turn down, are having trouble finding work.

Where it effects each and every one of us as gamers, is that now, every major gaming company on the planet is asking themselves not how can we create better content, but asking now, how they can squeeze another dollar not only at the purchase of one game to the next, but at every point in between as well. It's the kind of stuff the Jim Sterling was born to rant on.

I hope that makes sense, cause its late and I'm very tired... but I hate to miss a good rant.