Stellar Blade (formally Project Eve) - Korean Sci-Fi Bayonetta/Nier: Automata/Sekiro Edition

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So, I try not to make a big deal out of this, game characters should just look how they look, but with how Stellar Blade, and specifically the main character is used as this cudgel for how western games are doing it wrong and not making the female characters look like their real-life models... Why have I been seeing this image...

...floating around as supposed proof?

I can't say the finalized ingame model shows much similarity.
Because the chuds constantly just post deliberately false things. Like the fat Alloy pics. Or this whole thing with Mary Jane, comparing that pretty real-life model with the "ugly" in-game one, and using the most unflattering or flattering images of whichever they want.

Note that right-wingers do the same thing with New York congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. She is a young attractive progressive woman of color and therefore the target of obsessive, vulgar and disgusting discourse from the right. They like to post pictures of her mid-speech or while doing something so that she looks "crazy," as way to dismiss her and her politics (which are pretty mainstream in most of the rest of the world).

My point is we're already like a decade into this internet practice of demeaning women with absurd internet pics and this is just more of that, now specifically by the gamrz.

Models are used for video games characters as a baseline, then they change stuff as wanted/needed. Any fucking jackass can just post two pictures and say literally anything they want, it's pretty impressive how stupid it is that anyone sees that and goes "yeah!" I mean, basic internet literacy at this point is required.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So, I try not to make a big deal out of this, game characters should just look how they look, but with how Stellar Blade, and specifically the main character is used as this cudgel for how western games are doing it wrong and not making the female characters look like their real-life models... Why have I been seeing this image...
...floating around as supposed proof?

I can't say the finalized ingame model shows much similarity.
Those wedge heels continue to do my head in by ruining what was otherwise a very consistent and well thought out - if certainly horny - character design.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
That was a counterpoint to a set of initial, ignorant criticisms calling Eve's design unrealistic, when in fact, her entire body outside of her head was made by scanning a real-life woman. Whether you can notice it or not is not important, interpretation is subjective and each individual human's eyes differ a bit and when something's in motion and affected by a game's physics engine it can look a bit different, this is not a photorealistic game after all, it's more idealistic. The fact that it is literally that Korean model's body that they scanned to make Eve is what matters at the end of the day. Women like her exist and it is normal and good to wanna depict them in games with hype action and cute outfits and what have you.
You know pictures of models and women, including and especially real-life ones, are frequently and usually photoshopped?

Yes I know that is the model and the character is based on the model. I also suspect that particular image has some photoshop, and we should always suspect manipulation of images and information when used in this kind of internet/gamr "discourse. Especially as this embracing of Stellar Blade by the chuds is part of this whole "Gamergate 2" campaign to demand that all women in games look like Eve.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That was a counterpoint to a set of initial, ignorant criticisms calling Eve's design unrealistic, when in fact, her entire body outside of her head was made by scanning a real-life woman. Whether you can notice it or not is not important, interpretation is subjective and each individual human's eyes differ a bit and when something's in motion and affected by a game's physics engine it can look a bit different, this is not a photorealistic game after all, it's more idealistic. The fact that it is literally that Korean model's body that they scanned to make Eve is what matters at the end of the day. Women like her exist and it is normal and good to wanna depict them in games with hype action and cute outfits and what have you.
Yeah, except not all. Again, game characters can look how they look, including Eve, but that is NOT the body of the model that got scanned in. If this was the counterpoint of some people regarding western female game characters they seriously need to get their eyes checked.
Those wedge heels continue to do my head in by ruining what was otherwise a very consistent and well thought out - if certainly horny - character design.
Honestly, every optional outfit I've seen on this character looks better than the default.

And wedge heels need to die in a fire already. Why this ever became a thing is baffling. Give a character high heels all you want. It might look implausible as all hell, but it'll at least look cool, like Ada wearing high heeled boots in a rural setting. But wedge heels... just get that shit out of my face.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Supposedly there's a scene where Eve tells another character her missing sister is dead. Supposed to be this tragic scene, except the reaction shots of Eve have her tits jiggling autonomously, even tho she's standing still.

I really want to find footage of that. Bet that's good for a laugh.
No, they weren't. Please stop
See, if Shift Up had hired Sweet Baby, maybe that 'Hard R' wouldn't have been left in the game and this kerfuffle wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ahh, good ol' physics engine shenanigans
EDIT:
See, if Shift Up had hired Sweet Baby, maybe that 'Hard R' wouldn't have been left in the game and this kerfuffle wouldn't have happened.
If it turns out that Sony had hired SBI or GaymerX as consultants and just left them out of the credits or something, that would go so nuclear it would be hilarious

But, I mean unironically yeah

EDITEDIT: The more I think about it, the more I feel like this is a good low-stakes example of cultural consultancy being useful. Like, there's probably no way this is a Korean meme, but the stock graffiti asset placed next to the R Shop got picked up in the States immediately. If Shift Up had a heads up, they could've patched it before release or deliberately made it a joke.

I mean, I don't see them going the joke route, but it would've been an option
IMG_3585.jpeg

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I will admit this "hard r" thing is too obscure for me to even comprehend.

It's amazing, really. It's a game of fighting monster with swords. IRL there is war and floods and starvation, some of which is caused by said war. And this is the ISSUE dominating people's lives. Amazing.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's a play on the N word, where ending with a soft a is usually reclaimed, at least by Black people and usually fine in certain contexts, and ending it with a hard R sound, which usually means some racist shit is going down.

Failing Hard Rock Cafe signs are funny because they are accidentally referring to something naughty. It's one of those jokes that can really only be made by accident, like other accidentally naughty signs

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! I don’t care what side of the fence anyone’s on with this whole bit, but one look at each and it’s clear like Billy Crystal that all of her um, *assets* have been enhanced for the game model.

This is basically an opposite end of the spectrum Eastern dev. jab at the latest trend in Western dev. female game model depictions.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! I don’t care what side of the fence anyone’s on with this whole bit, but one look at each and it’s clear like Billy Crystal that all of her um, *assets* have been enhanced for the game model.

This is basically an opposite end of the spectrum Eastern dev. jab at the latest trend in Western dev. female game model depictions.
Facts! At this point, people should just focus on the game and not follow any dumb discourse from the usual suspects on Twitter. I know most people do already, but you got those that are so stuck into it that they can't live off of anything else but being jackasses and being constant lying jackasses who can't handle any actual truth or only things that are in their warped morality and reality.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
You know pictures of models and women, including and especially real-life ones, are frequently and usually photoshopped?

Yes I know that is the model and the character is based on the model. I also suspect that particular image has some photoshop, and we should always suspect manipulation of images and information when used in this kind of internet/gamr "discourse. Especially as this embracing of Stellar Blade by the chuds is part of this whole "Gamergate 2" campaign to demand that all women in games look like Eve.
That's a goalpost shift. Nobody claimed there was no photoshop. You're dealing with a videogame character, photoshop is the least of your worries with terms of edited appearances. She's literally a digital representation of the scanned body, not a carbon copy. The point is that the char is based on a real woman and not conjured up from some sort of totally imaginary plane of sexist immaturity or what have you. That it's mainly based in reality and that it's valid and not any way less-than compared to any other char design.

There's no demand that all chars look like Eve, just that they not be ugly as all hell. There's a difference between the two. You can make a ton of differently beautiful chars. And at the same time, there's no actual benefit or merit if someone's ugly instead of being beautiful, either.

The issue is this pathological status being given to depictions of ugliness because they supposedly contradict something that nobody actually agrees is evil but people pretend as if we agreed that it is. And in so doing games forget their primary purpose as art and entertainment and get reduced to being political tools for social change. You don't need to be some kinda right wing voter to be able to notice that that's not for the best of gaming.

And I never even knew that there's a gamergate 2 going on. Who did Zoe Quinn sleep with this time?

It's a play on the N word, where ending with a soft a is usually reclaimed, at least by Black people and usually fine in certain contexts, and ending it with a hard R sound, which usually means some racist shit is going down.

Failing Hard Rock Cafe signs are funny because they are accidentally referring to something naughty. It's one of those jokes that can really only be made by accident, like other accidentally naughty signs
You know, this brings a question in mind. Did black people just reclaim the soft r one intentionally, or is it just that that's how they pronounced the hard R in their vernacular, meaning that actually the one reclaimed was the hard R said with a black accent to it, which eventually grew into a separate word. This is not official Cambridge english at this point but there must be some kinda linguist who knows one way or the other.

The boondocks shoulda done an episode about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's a goalpost shift. Nobody claimed there was no photoshop. You're dealing with a videogame character, photoshop is the least of your worries with terms of edited appearances.
Dude, just stop. You can't complain about goalpost shifting when your first argument was "this was literally a scanned body of a real human woman" then shift to "well of course they caked it up"

The issue is this pathological status being given to depictions of ugliness because they supposedly contradict something that nobody actually agrees is evil but people pretend as if we agreed that it is. And in so doing games forget their primary purpose as art and entertainment and get reduced to being political tools for social change. You don't need to be some kinda right wing voter to be able to notice that that's not for the best of gaming.
Outside of guys who get paid by the rage click and their weirder social media followers, this is not a thing.
You know, this brings a question in mind. Did black people just reclaim the soft r one intentionally, or is it just that that's how they pronounced the hard R in their vernacular, meaning that actually the one reclaimed was the hard R said with a black accent to it, which eventually grew into a separate word. This is not official Cambridge english at this point but there must be some kinda linguist who knows one way or the other.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
know, this brings a question in mind. Did black people just reclaim the soft r one intentionally, or is it just that that's how they pronounced the hard R in their vernacular, meaning that actually the one reclaimed was the hard R said with a black accent to it, which eventually grew into a separate word. This is not official Cambridge english at this point but there must be some kinda linguist who knows one way or the other.
There's a lot you don't know. It doesn't matter if it's a soft or hard r, the n-word is still the n word when you add the ER at the end.

They did already. A couple of episodes actually, but there's one that where it was a major focus from beginning to end. It was during the second season. Where the hell you've been?

That's a goalpost shift. Nobody claimed there was no photoshop. You're dealing with a videogame character, photoshop is the least of your worries with terms of edited appearances. She's literally a digital representation of the scanned body, not a carbon copy. The point is that the char is based on a real woman and not conjured up from some sort of totally imaginary plane of sexist immaturity or what have you. That it's mainly based in reality and that it's valid and not any way less-than compared to any other char design.

There's no demand that all chars look like Eve, just that they not be ugly as all hell. There's a difference between the two. You can make a ton of differently beautiful chars. And at the same time, there's no actual benefit or merit if someone's ugly instead of being beautiful, either.

Nearly everything you said is a global shift so you have no room to talk. Talk about not being aware of the irony and everything you just said. Hate to break it to you, and this isn't the first time that's happened, but you're basically falling into the grift right now. I'm not here to defend the journalist to have a problem with this game, but they're fewer in numbers compared to the high alt right discourse trying to use this game as their platform and stepping stone for their own bull crap and selfish ends. They don't give a rat's ass about you, so just a heads up. Like I said before just enjoy the game for what it is and ignore them especially. Because as soon as this game is done and everything, they're going to move on to the next game and do the exact same thing. They're parasitic leeches.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Why can't it be normal and good to wanna depict them in games without people screaming "woke" and "SBI ruining muh games"?
It is normal, but these female characters are usually NPC's because the core component of video game entertainment is fantasy. And I find it hard to believe that anyone fantasizes about being a ugly boring normal ass person.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
She's literally a digital representation of the scanned body, not a carbon copy.
Yes, in the sense that she has a head, arms, legs, hands, feet etc. But she's not even close to being a proper scan, seeing as she has about 20 pounds on the real-life model in the thigh, butt, and chest region.

If you're refering to the usual characters deemed "ugly as all hell" by those crying 'ugly on purpose', then you ARE demanding all female characters look like Eve/cater to your specific beauty standards. Here's something that might be shocking though; there's people who don't find Eve's design beautiful or appealing. There's even the notion that a woman in a game doesn't necessarily need to be sexually attractive, you know, like how male characters don't necessarily need to be sexually attractive.

It is normal, but these female characters are usually NPC's because the core component of video game entertainment is fantasy. And I find it hard to believe that anyone fantasizes about being a ugly boring normal ass person.
oddworld-abe__1_.0.jpgmaxresdefault (6).jpgDeadRisingRetrospective_Image1-1.jpg
And that's just off the top off my head.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I find it hard to believe that anyone fantasizes about being a ugly boring normal ass person.
Speak for yourself. You don't speak for everybody else.

As for the rest, everybody has their points, but Dreiko or those shate his mind said, but can we please just focus on the actual game. This conversation has been done enough times already.