Akira Toriyama dies at age 68

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rest in Peace Toriyama. Though I may not care much for Dragonball anymore, I don't regret my time when I enjoyed it. I always remember when I started with the original series back in 1996, Saturday mornings at 10AM-11AM, on Channel 26, WGN.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Mann(g)a from heaven?

Never seen DBZ cartoon, but certainly seen the memes. 68 is not a great age sadly. RIP.
Apparently passed from an acute acute subdural hematoma aka blood clot in the brain. So, you know, one of those things that can just get you out of nowhere, even if you're otherwise in good health.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Mann(g)a from heaven?

Never seen DBZ cartoon, but certainly seen the memes. 68 is not a great age sadly. RIP.
A fair amount of the cred he has in Japan is probably as much for DragonBall than DragonBall Z. Like its just a really jazzed up retelling of the tale of Sun Wukong and the Journey to the West but its such a damn GOOD retelling that was jazzed up that no one gives a shit. Its just really, really fun. And as I understand it, its impact on the Shonen genre is unquestionable.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
A fair amount of the cred he has in Japan is probably as much for DragonBall than DragonBall Z. Like its just a really jazzed up retelling of the tale of Sun Wukong and the Journey to the West but its such a damn GOOD retelling that was jazzed up that no one gives a shit. Its just really, really fun. And as I understand it, its impact on the Shonen genre is unquestionable.
The dude influenced a whole generation of (much beloved) manga, anime and videogames. He dies a legend.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
One of the earliest things I can still remember clearly of when I was a tyke of 5-6 years old, was of getting up early so I could watch Club Dorothee on TF1, because they aired a bunch of anime and tokusatsu like Bioman, Sailor Moon, Nicky Larson (City Hunter), Olive & Tom (Captain Tsubasa), Chevaliers du Zodiac (Saint Seiya), Goldorak (Grendizer), Ken le Survivant (Hokuto no Ken) and of course, Dragonball.

It was in French, and I wouldn't be getting French classes for another 3-4 years, so I didn't get anything they were saying, but there was still a lot to enjoy like the visual comedy, the wacky characters en of course the cool fights.

DBZ also had this as OP

It's so awful, but hearing it brings a lot of nostalgia. Now that I hear it again, weird how it makes Gohan the main character. Then again, this was like 1989-91. The later sagas hadn't been animated yet, just Saiyan and Frieza, where Gohan still played a major role, so I can see how they reached that conclusion.

Last edited:

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Rest in peace. I only read the first Dragon Ball volume and didn't like it, but I enjoyed Sand Land. A sad day to hear of his passing, his impact on the industry is immeasureable.

Super Eyepatch Wolf did a video on what made his Dragon Ball so special, and which highlights how he drew action scenes and how he designed characters, which I recommend:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
One of the earliest things I can still remember clearly of when I was a tyke of 5-6 years old, was of getting up early so I could watch Club Dorothee on TF1, because they aired a bunch of anime and tokusatsu like Bioman, Sailor Moon, Nicky Larson (City Hunter), Olive & Tom (Captain Tsubasa), Chevaliers du Zodiac (Saint Seiya), Goldorak (Grendizer), Ken le Survivant (Hokuto no Ken) and of course, Dragonball.

It was in French, and I wouldn't be getting French classes for another 3-4 years, so I didn't get anything they were saying, but there was still a lot to enjoy like the visual comedy, the wacky characters en of course the cool fights.

DBZ also had this as OP

It's so awful, but hearing it brings a lot of nostalgia. Now that I hear it again, weird how it makes Gohan the main character. Then again, this was like 1989-91. The later sagas hadn't been animated yet, just Saiyan and Frieza, where Gohan still played a major role, so I can see how they reached that conclusion.
"Z-z-z-z", so lazy!

lol have the opposite experience, I'd watch anime on English channel without understanding anything, thankfully shouting doesn't need translation so you could still follow like 90%.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Putting aside the usual thoughts and prayers, the sad reality of Toriyama's passing is how comics and creatives are being pissed on by corporations destroying such stuff for a tax write off.

So if I want to pay my respects to Toriyama I would wish such a situation isn't happening right now while the veterans are dying left and right