Alec Baldwin faces involuntary manslaughter charge over deadly “Rust” shooting

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Other than that I was basing my opinion on the charges being judicially DOA and therefore something no prosecutor worth their salt would press under normal circumstances (because prosecutors' KPI is their conviction rate), which means there are underlying reasons a prosecutor might choose to die on this hill unrelated to their job performance as such. And in today's media and political climate, that means cashing in on exposure to the general public by way of a media deal. None of which implies those involved are particularly deep thinkers.
I already suggested other potential motivations. No need to repeat them.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Also, charges have been dropped.

They're telling us the charges can be re filed if appropriate after further investigation which is ongoing.
They may have found it very typical for actors to trust staff regarding whether a prop was hot or not and go from there. They'd likely have to show it a duty to check the gun 1st, regardless of what staff tells you about it.

I'm sure the actors avoid pointing prop guns even if told they are not hot, but I doubt it rises to the level of being a duty.

His, "I didn't pull the trigger" has been debunked, but others are stating he may have been holding down the trigger to begin with so when he cocked it, it shot. If he were holding the trigger to begin with, wouldn't it have just shot? Double action required? EDIT: "A single-action revolver usually requires the hammer to be manually cocked, and the trigger be pulled for a shot to be fired. That's why it's referred to as a single-action: because the trigger performs just one action. It drops the hammer. In a double-action revolver, on the other hand, the trigger can both cock and release the hammer." https://www.newsweek.com/what-kind-gun-did-alec-baldwin-rust-fired-1655809 so he could have been holding it wrong, trigger held down, cocked it and it shot without further action by Baldwin.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Also, charges have been dropped.

Do we have more information on why there were real bullets in the gun in the first place ? How they got here ? I feel it's a pretty major point (I don't buy the "haha you should have checked, joke's on you" dismissal), and that the ones who just brought threse bullets on the set, slash, in the gun, should maybe be considered as carrying a bit of the responsibility.

Currently it feels a bit like "of course there would be bullets in it some times, man gotta satisfy his biological need to go play pew pew on tin cans during his free hours, the question is not there".

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
His, "I didn't pull the trigger" has been debunked, but others are stating he may have been holding down the trigger to begin with so when he cocked it, it shot. If he were holding the trigger to begin with, wouldn't it have just shot? Double action required? EDIT: "A single-action revolver usually requires the hammer to be manually cocked, and the trigger be pulled for a shot to be fired. That's why it's referred to as a single-action: because the trigger performs just one action. It drops the hammer. In a double-action revolver, on the other hand, the trigger can both cock and release the hammer." https://www.newsweek.com/what-kind-gun-did-alec-baldwin-rust-fired-1655809 so he could have been holding it wrong, trigger held down, cocked it and it shot without further action by Baldwin.
You might see in cowboy films people "fanning" a revolver, they aim from the hip, pull the trigger, and use their off hand to smack the hammer back as fast as possible. Because the trigger is held down, the hammer comes straight back down again and fires. Apparently cowboys used to do that, including some famous gunslingers, but only as a gimmick. Famous gunslingers seemed to do lots of showing off stuff like that when not actually shooting at people.

By comparison, pump action shotguns which allow for slam firing, you hold down the trigger and rack the slide as fast as you can. US WW1 trench shotguns could do that, it was seen as a useful feature, but has gone out of fashion.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Apparently cowboys used to do that, including some famous gunslingers, but only as a gimmick. Famous gunslingers seemed to do lots of showing off stuff like that when not actually shooting at people.
I'm not suprised, it's an amazingly stupid way to shoot at someone, because it's far harder to aim properly. And when you need to shoot someone, hitting them is kind of a priority.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm not suprised, it's an amazingly stupid way to shoot at someone, because it's far harder to aim properly. And when you need to shoot someone, hitting them is kind of a priority.
It seems weird to me that they'd do weird stuff like that, apparently dedicating loads of time and effort into becoming really good at it. For people that only did trick shots and the like, fine, but not for people that actually were gunfighters as well.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
It seems weird to me that they'd do weird stuff like that, apparently dedicating loads of time and effort into becoming really good at it. For people that only did trick shots and the like, fine, but not for people that actually were gunfighters as well.
People do all sorts of pointless and stupid things. Ultimately, there's no good reason anyone should climb mountains, and yet they do.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Do we have more information on why there were real bullets in the gun in the first place ? How they got here ? I feel it's a pretty major point (I don't buy the "haha you should have checked, joke's on you" dismissal), and that the ones who just brought threse bullets on the set, slash, in the gun, should maybe be considered as carrying a bit of the responsibility.

Currently it feels a bit like "of course there would be bullets in it some times, man gotta satisfy his biological need to go play pew pew on tin cans during his free hours, the question is not there".
That's where a lot of the investigation seems to be focused. Right now, it's looking like at the very least, the armorer screwed up by not clearing the guns. As for where the real bullets came from, apparently the guns were, in fact, being used off camera to blow off some steam, pun unintended.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Many Old West-era revolvers had minimalist sights, primarily because speed of the draw was usually prioritized over accuracy, and larger sights could get hung up or drag on the holster. So getting rounds out ASAP was probably seen as more important than careful aiming. And considering that half of all Colt Single Action Army revolvers ever sold during the era were chambered in .45 Colt, which could be loaded to deliver more than twice as much energy as a 9x19 Parabellum round, hitting your opponent almost anywhere was nearly guaranteed to at least throw off their aim.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Many Old West-era revolvers had minimalist sights, primarily because speed of the draw was usually prioritized over accuracy, and larger sights could get hung up or drag on the holster. So getting rounds out ASAP was probably seen as more important than careful aiming. And considering that half of all Colt Single Action Army revolvers ever sold during the era were chambered in .45 Colt, which could be loaded to deliver more than twice as much energy as a 9x19 Parabellum round, hitting your opponent almost anywhere was nearly guaranteed to at least throw off their aim.
I thought it was mostly a myth that they used revolvers to shoot people that much: rifles were generally preferred.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I thought it was mostly a myth that they used revolvers to shoot people that much: rifles were generally preferred.
In preplanned combat like ambushes, sure. In a sudden fight, low-profile revolvers would have been preferable for the same reason as similarly-designed pistols are today. (The whole thing about gunslingers standing off at high noon? Not nearly as common as movies show.)

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If I did the same thing I would charge with manslaughter, but some rich Hollywood liberal gets away with it. Rules for thee, not for me.

Reactions: Leg End

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Many Old West-era revolvers had minimalist sights, primarily because speed of the draw was usually prioritized over accuracy, and larger sights could get hung up or drag on the holster.
They weren't accurate or consistent enough to justify optics. Poor metallurgy, progressive rifling, and likely substandard maintenance meant barrel fouling and degradation. Add to that inconsistencies in bullet weight, quality, and alloying, and powder quality and charging, during ammunition manufacture for even less consistency.

So getting rounds out ASAP was probably seen as more important than careful aiming.
Don't make me dig Wyatt Earp's memoirs out.

And considering that half of all Colt Single Action Army revolvers ever sold during the era were chambered in .45 Colt, which could be loaded to deliver more than twice as much energy as a 9x19 Parabellum round, hitting your opponent almost anywhere was nearly guaranteed to at least throw off their aim.
Thing a lot of people either forget or never learned: Colt SAA's were purpose-designed to kill horses, not the dark-skinned men sitting on them. Famously accurate for its time as it was, it wasn't that accurate. The to-do you read/see online about them are based on later-generation SAA's or replicas, firing contemporary ammunition with contemporary methods and quality assurance standards, being handled by trained shooters who likely also handload.