Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
If the moulding (assume this is what we would call skirting board) is painted you might be able to use a profile gauge (https://www.screwfix.com/p/faithfull-plastic-angle-duplicator-10-250mm-/792GC?tc=CT7) to copy the existing profile using a decent quality filler.
I just don't even know what filler to use to fill in the damage.

It turned out that my molding (or skirting board as you call it) wasn't hardwood, which would be easy enough to fix with some wood glue and wood filler. This is more like the kind of particle board that ikea furniture is made from, basically compressed cardboard. I don't even know what filler or glue would stick to it given how porous it is.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I just don't even know what filler to use to fill in the damage.

It turned out that my molding (or skirting board as you call it) wasn't hardwood, which would be easy enough to fix with some wood glue and wood filler. This is more like the kind of particle board that ikea furniture is made from, basically compressed cardboard. I don't even know what filler or glue would stick to it given how porous it is.
Bondo. I used it all the time when I was in furniture repair. Should work for you.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip. Any specific recommendations on how best to apply and sculpt it? Can you paint directly on top of it, or does it need a primer?
It's been a while (we're talking about 20 years now,) and the specific wood variety I suggested wasn't what we used, but the one we did was a two-part mixture. You'd mix the two parts together, and it created a thick, light-blue paste; you'd apply that, let it dry, and then sand it down to form. Can't recall if there was a primer involved, but we DID paint it eventually. It wasn't a long process, like, we didn't have to wait hours for it to dry; maybe a few minutes depending on the size of the repair job. I'm sure it comes with the instructions for this specific version, and given it's specifically for wood (particle board is still basically "wood",) I think it should work for you. Just make sure you really press the first pass of your application in to the nooks to give the bulk something to attach to. As this is a baseboard we're talking about; I'm assuming it's not something you'd anticipate getting a lot of action/contact to risk undoing the repair, but you know your house better than I.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
One of the Displates that I own fell off the wall it was hanging on and significantly damaged the molding at the bottom of the wall. This happened because the adhesive on the magnets holding it in place failed. Now I have to repair the damage and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.

Thanks Displate. I will no longer recommend your product to anyone.

I am also taking down all my other displates and applying additional adhesive to the back of every magnet to prevent this from happening again.
Had the same thing happen, and it yanked out one of my speaker cables on the back of my receiver. They should use a 3M vhb but then people would probably complain it takes the drywall off if they didn’t want it there anymore. I did get a couple more recently and it looks like they’ve adopted a different system now involving an additional adhesive-backed paper base that goes on the wall before applying the magnet/tape. Not sure if this is just for the kit that bumps out the plate from the wall though. Seems to hold up better so far but time will tell when my basement gets colder after summer.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Had the same thing happen, and it yanked out one of my speaker cables on the back of my receiver. They should use a 3M vhb but then people would probably complain it takes the drywall off if they didn’t want it there anymore. I did get a couple more recently and it looks like they’ve adopted a different system now involving an additional adhesive-backed paper base that goes on the wall before applying the magnet/tape. Not sure if this is just for the kit that bumps out the plate from the wall though. Seems to hold up better so far but time will tell when my basement gets colder after summer.
The version I have is the version with the paper backing.

The paper backing held up totally fine, but the adhesive on the back of the magnets that was attached to the paper backing is what ended up failing.

I think I might get some construction adhesive and put it on the magnets when I re-attach them to the paper. It shouldn't hurt the wall, the point of the paper backing is that's what is what is actually in contact with the drywall, so that's the part that you pull off if you ever want to get rid of the displates.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't know if this is a thing in other countries, but the idea of "rehoming" animals pisses me off. Shut the fuck up and call it what it is, you're breeding and selling animals for profit.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't know if this is a thing in other countries, but the idea of "rehoming" animals pisses me off. Shut the fuck up and call it what it is, you're breeding and selling animals for profit.
In the US "rehoming" an animal is what happens when someone no longer wants their pet and gives it up to someone else. This is usually either because they are moving and can't take it with them, have a kid that the pet is unfriendly toward it, or because they no longer have the the financial means to keep it.

Breeding and selling animals is just called being a breeder.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
In the US "rehoming" an animal is what happens when someone no longer wants their pet and gives it up to someone else. This is usually either because they are moving and can't take it with them, have a kid that the pet is unfriendly toward it, or because they no longer have the the financial means to keep it.

Breeding and selling animals is just called being a breeder.
Yeah I imagined this is what rehoming actually means. Definitely not what these people are doing. They're "rehoming" whole puppy litters with certificates to guarantee the dogs are purebred. Oh, and for $400 a pup (heh). I assume using the term helps them feel better about themselves.