Climate Nearing “Point of No Return”

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Basically reiterating what I said above.

I know hopium is a thing, but from a scientific standpoint, this is significant. From a social standpoint, it's also significant when you consider the green growth vs. degrowth argument (since the latter is a no-go politically).

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I am less optimistic. Just because in some areas the currently high oil price drives renewables beyond projections doesn't mean much. That has happened before. And then, when the price fell again, renewable installation slowed accordingly. And the price will fall : Not only will the Ukrainian war be over at some point, the world slowly moving to renewables means an oversupply of oil and gas and a lot of coutries who want to make money from it as long as they still have a market.

Furthermore while wind and photovoltaics are doing well, transitioning the transport sector is still way slower than projected with a lot of open questions.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Basically reiterating what I said above.

I know hopium is a thing, but from a scientific standpoint, this is significant. From a social standpoint, it's also significant when you consider the green growth vs. degrowth argument (since the latter is a no-go politically).
One of the things that makes me want to bang my head against the table is people whining about the price of the oil, and then fanatically insisting they remain dependent on it when the oil supply is mostly in the hands of foreign states that are neither well-disposed to theirs nor inclined to give up the massive profits available.

I wonder whether they might finally twig that they'd be better off cutting that particular cord.

Reactions: Hawki

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I wonder whether they might finally twig that they'd be better off cutting that particular cord.
The instant that doing so doesn't instantly add at least one hour in both directions to work commute or turn a grocery shopping trip into a cross fit session.

Reactions: tstorm823

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The instant that doing so doesn't instantly add at least one hour in both directions to work commute or turn a grocery shopping trip into a cross fit session.
Doing insane cross-fit pull up flops to save the planet.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I am less optimistic. Just because in some areas the currently high oil price drives renewables beyond projections doesn't mean much. That has happened before. And then, when the price fell again, renewable installation slowed accordingly. And the price will fall : Not only will the Ukrainian war be over at some point, the world slowly moving to renewables means an oversupply of oil and gas and a lot of coutries who want to make money from it as long as they still have a market.

Furthermore while wind and photovoltaics are doing well, transitioning the transport sector is still way slower than projected with a lot of open questions.
The mass transport question is unlikely to be solved without small modular reactors. National/international smart grids are better, but that would take years even on a new deal/WWII-era scale of international mobilization which we don't have. SMR's provide walk-away safe onsite power generation sufficient for personal EV charging, and for commercial fleet fueling/charging. The former for hydrogen fuel cells, the latter for EV's.

The petroleum industry isn't going away, but it's down to whether we burn it as fuel, or process it into chemical products that can't be synthesized yet. Peak oil doesn't just affect transport, which is the other shoe waiting to drop on the public's head.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

I'm usually sparing with posting here, and by itself this article isn't saying anything I haven't posted before, but there is a little titbit there that caught my attention - that the world is on track for 2.4C warming by century's end.

Now, that's bad, like, really bad, but not too long ago, the projection was 3C, and before that, the projection was 4C, so while the West Antarctic Ice Shelf is nightmare fuel, sometimes I want my pixie dust as well.

Reactions: Satinavian

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Mm, and you know what else research has suggested may be unstoppable?

Potential 5 metre rise in sea levels from this alone. Enjoy, coastal cities like New York and Shanghai! Admittedly, ETA for the worst of this is probably post-2100.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Both respective points are timed stamped.
I will say in Captain Planet's defence that there's a line you can draw between the villains who outright wanted to harm the planet (e.g. Dr. Blight, Skumm, Zarm), and those who had an "eff the world, got mine" attitude (Hoggish Greedly, Sly Sludge, Looten Plunder, etc.)

But, um, yeah...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I will say in Captain Planet's defence that there's a line you can draw between the villains who outright wanted to harm the planet (e.g. Dr. Blight, Skumm, Zarm), and those who had an "eff the world, got mine" attitude (Hoggish Greedly, Sly Sludge, Looten Plunder, etc.)
Yep. Due note Sly Sludge was the only villain to go straight in his final appearance and decided to dispose of his waste properly.

Reactions: Hawki

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
transitioning the transport sector is still way slower than projected with a lot of open questions.
Mostly due to practical concerns. Once you can haul 40,000 pounds of cargo a thousand miles and not have to spend any more time or money fueling your vehicle than you would with a diesel truck the transport sector will start switching over. That's...a tall order.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

So, COP28 will be kicking off, hosted by the UAE. ADNOC, the UAE's state oil company, is the company with the single most harmful expansion plan in the world to the net-zero goal. It was also leaked that the hosts had planned to use COP28 to promote oil deals-- it's unclear if those deals will still receive promotion now the hosts have been pressured into denials.

...but another big polluting industry aiming to have a huge presence is meat & dairy. JBS, the largest food processing company in the world, aims to lobby hard on behalf of meat & dairy. The dairy industry remains one of the biggest polluters, above even aviation.

No wonder people have dwindling faith in the political initiatives to tackle climate change. The UAE hosting COP28 strikes me as a bit like appointing Harold Shipman as Chief Medical Officer.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
An early agreement has been reached to create a losses and damages fund to assist poorer countries with the impacts of climate change. Its largest early contributors will be UAE and Germany at 100m each. Fund in its entirety is meant to be about ~430m.

I'm reminded of the Bullingdon Club (a club for kids at Eton, a very expensive private school here in the UK, which a large number of Tory politicians go to). The club members used to smash people's windows and then leave money with the owners to pay for replacements. I wonder why that came to mind.