Reactions: BrawlMan

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 7/10

This is a Steven Spielberg classic about alien adbuctions. It's one of the most quintessential sci-fi films of the 70s and a landmark in special effects. I enjoyed it. It's got a really interesting and engaging way of depicting the alien element from a lot of different perspectives, giving it a strong air of mystery. It was, however, heavily marred for me by the main character, Roy. He's one of the most irritating protagonists I've ever seen, I just could not stand the little shit. Every time he showed up on screen I wanted to punch him. I was constantly wondering why the film expected me to engage with his entitlement, mental illness and dweeby demeanor. And the worst part was that I could completely see it working by not telling the story from his perspective specifically. The movie already has multiple POVs, if it had just shifted more towards the scientists, Roy's family or even the woman who develops the same obsession he does.

By shifting the focus away from Roy you could have a really effective and harrowing outsider's perspective of a man whose mental health takes a nosedive off a cliff and starts to ruin his life. But because the focus is always on him, the movie presents his antics as something we should be engaged with and interested in, despite him acting like a total dickhead for the vast majority of the movie.

I dunno. Maybe it's because I watched this movie on like 5 hours of sleep, but the foremost thing that'll stay in my mind about it will be how much I hated the protagonist.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Rebel Moon part 2: Who gives a shit?, 1/10

Not the actual title of the movie, but who gives a shit? Yep, it lived up to the promise of the first, and in some ways it's even worse than the first one. It's a spectacularly moronic, deadening tidal wave of cringe. I watched it drunk with friends, and in that context it provided a whole barrel of fun. If you imagine the harvest sequence as the most over the top bread commercial ever it becomes absolutely hilarious. At every turn there was something to cringe about, some new type of idiocy on display. Despite having a combined 4 hours to flesh these characters out, they're still flat as a vinyl record. The amount of slo-mo and out of focus shots made me want to eat my own face. The scene where they're drinking at the table was a new dimension of awful, like a badly run DnD campaign where each character takes it in turns to tell their backstory, for no real reason in particular.

The one saving grace of this film is that a lot more of it is taken up by action, which saves you from having to listen to the godawful dialogue. But even there it constantly finds ways to one-up its stupidity. Like how the barbarian prince for some reason is fighting with two handaxes, unarmored, out in the open and in direct line of fire. These movies are honestly a whole new epoch of awfulness, and seem to suggest there's more to come. It genuinely seems like Snyder's actively trying to crater his career now, because if these movies were made by any other person, they'd be blacklisted from the industry for life.
I hate-watched this piece of shit today out of boredom and holy crap is it bad.

20 minutes of characters just sitting around a table telling each other their back stories, because they've barely said 2 lines to each other over the course of 2 movies. Zach Snyder can't write and I don't know why people keep letting him try.

There were a lot of stupid things in this movie, but one thing stuck out to me in particular. The intergalactic space ship runs on coal. IT RUNS ON FUCKING COAL. There's a scene that takes place in the engine room and it's just a bunch of shirtless men shoveling coal into giant furnaces. TO POWER AN INTERGALACTIC WARSHIP.

I just fucking can't with this.

The thing is, there's an earlier scene in the movie where drop ships are flying out of the warship and I was like "why is there so much smoke coming out of them? Are they coal powered or something" and laughed to myself at the absurdity of that statement, and it turned out my joke was right. It's all coal powered.

And then later on, there's a drop ship returning to the main ship, and it's spewing out smoke and everyone in the main ship is like "oh no, that ship is damaged, you can see by the smoke" as if these ships weren't already belting out black plumes of smoke the whole time.

1714871788945.png

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
There were a lot of stupid things in this movie, but one thing stuck out to me in particular. The intergalactic space ship runs on coal. IT RUNS ON FUCKING COAL. There's a scene that takes place in the engine room and it's just a bunch of shirtless men shoveling coal into giant furnaces. TO POWER AN INTERGALACTIC WARSHIP.
The coal thing is 100% the shittiest attempt ever to copy 40K's homework.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I genuinely missed that on my first watch because it's a very brief scene, but boy did my head hurt all the more after realizing that. Another detail that started to bother me on the second go was that the lightsaber knockoffs emit smoke, or some kind of steam. What is that supposed to be, exactly? Is there something burning inside the swords that gives off all that smoke? Or is it vaporizing something? Because magic hasn't been established in the universe (sans the resurrection we've only seen in flashbacks), it's not like fire swords are a thing. Shit like this is why even seemingly tiny details need to have in-universe justification.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I still think the Liu Kang vs. Sub Zero fight has the best backing track, stunt work and overall choreography. As for Talisa Soto, she's very reserved in most roles I've seen her in and I can't tell if that's what directors asked of her or its just how she is.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Unfrosted on Netflix.

Like the first half hour of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but sillier and not as funny. I think this would've been great if they dialed back the insanity and treated it with a more earnest, documentation approach. The joke is that two cereal companies had their version of a space race in the early 1960s, involving JFK, Kruschev and Cuba. That's funny enough. But instead of playing it straight we get the warped cartoon version of that, with costumed mascots reenacting the January 6th Capitol riots, Kellogg's version of the Trinity Test and a CGI sentient ravioli that is the product of Nazi experimentation and Chef Boyardee. The movie's biggest strength ends up being that for every twenty tries there's usually one big laugh (I liked the Mad Men bit, Hugh Grant, Bill Burr as JFK and the crooked milkmen, sue me). Also the dude playing Cronkite killed.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The Boxtrolls. On netflix till may 22nd.

I always heard this was on the low end of Laika flicks, but I thought it was quite good, even though it didn't have that many surprises, it did have a fantastic visual design. Not to mention that when Winnie was disappointed over the lack of blood and bones in the boxtroll lair, I couldn't help but think of her as the Doom Slayer and for the rest of the movie I kept imagining her in the Doom armor, ripping demons apart and it just worked. You can work out what the plot will be pretty early on, but its still a fun ride and will have a few twists.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The only thing I remember liking about this film was when Isabel Lucas grows a metal tail and tries to stab Shia Lebouf in it.

If the entire movie had been a romantic comedy about Megan Fox and the weird robot that fell in love with her, it would have been much better.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Monkey Man 8/10

You know, the one with Dev Patel, the Indian John Wick-em-up.
But actually that Wick comparison is not good because he only wears a black suit at the end. Most of the movie he is really slumming it.
As expected, there was some ass-kicking involved which is what we're there for. It's extremely brutal and graphic which, hey, I don't mind, but just in case you or any companion would be, know going it this isn't just some karate moves there is really a lot of blood and face-smashing and such.
It's also kind of weird, this is the part I didn't expect. Patel also directs and he wants to show off. There's also some delightfully awkward social messaging mixed in with every action and revenge movie trope.

The movie is... a bunch of stuff happens. It doesn't really cohere into anything but it's certainly fun to watch, with two major action-y setpieces that make the whole thing worth it.

I mean, hey, if you were already gonna watch then you're already gonna watch and you're gonna have a good time.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Security

A few years old but just showed up on Netflix. It’s kinda like Assault on Precinct 13 but in a shit shopping mall, and with Snyder-brand written side characters . Antonio Banderas plays it serious and does what he can in his role as the newest mall cop badass protagonist. Ben Kingsley adds his weight to the opposing side, and there’s this one scene where I’m pretty sure he’s meditating on how his career got to this point, or if he’ll possibly be around to play Bezos in an Amazon hit piece some day.

It’s…ok if you’re just looking for some shooty action to turn your brain off to before going to bed.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The Searchers (1956)

Classic western by John Ford, starring John Wayne. Wayne plays a veteran of the American civil war on the confederate side. After a Comanche war party raided the ranch of his relatives and abducted their daughter, his niece, him and his nephew Martin set out to rescue her and take revenge.

It's a movie whose potential has great premise, although one that feels hamstrung by the conventions of its time. It's easy to imagine one of the more revisionist western film makers, someone like Leone or Eastwood, interpreting this kind of material as the uncomfortable and brutal tale about the unrelenting cycle of revenge that it is, but Ford delivers a formally beautiful but morally and philosophically shallow approach to it.

There are definitely hints towards the inherent moral complexity of the subject. We definitely get a sense of the fact that Wayne's Ethan is a less than sympathetic character, that there is a deep seated resentment and bigotry to him, but it's never quite laid bare and never quite explored, meaning that the vaguely outlined tale of redemption this suggests it would like to be never quite materializes. There are, for sure, some very interesting ideas being implied. Ethan's obsessive anxiety about his niece being "defiled" by a native man so deeply mirrors enduring and enduringly destructive notions about racial purity that plague mankind and Martin, as the secondary protagonist, a man with some native ancestry himself, should act as a foil to him but it's clear that Searchers doesn't want to, or perhaps wasn't able, to explore those.

It's a movie bound by conventions that don't to its subject matter justice. It's resolved in a convenient and undeserved way because it was made in an environment where depicting it truthfully, showing that there is no convenient resolution to any of the issues it presents, wouldn't have been acceptable. So what remains is something that, for better and for worse, mostly shows its period of American history, the winners history, the way they want to see it, at best able to imply that what it's showing is not the whole story.

Ford was, by all means, a brilliant director from a formal perspective, his framing of the wasteland of the American frontier much more poignant than the story playing out in it, the performances very memorable in a larger than life way. Shout-out to Ken Curtis, whose accent and laugh made for some of the best moments in the movie. But for all its virtues, if there ever was a movie that needed a remake, it's this one. It was just not the right subject matter for the time, or the right time for the subject matter.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I disagree slightly with that. To me, Martin was really the protagonist, in the sense that we were supposed to support him and his trying to hold back Ethan from giving into his worser instincts. The ending also indicated to me that on some level, Ethan knew that he had crossed a line, because he knows there is no place for him at home with his family anymore. I also thought they did a decent job showing that while the enemy was the bad guy, he was also not so different from Ethan in several ways, being basically what Ethan was close to becoming due to his prejudices.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
May December

A famous actress is set to play the role of a 36 year old woman who raped a 13 year old kid, eventually marrying him and having his kids. She goes over to visit the actual person a few weeks before the shoot so he can get a better feel for the character. The family is cagey at first but more or less lets her into their lives. And while it doesn't exactly play out like one of those movies about a manipulative guest weaseling their way into a "happy" family, balance is definitely upset as a result. Just not in a way that will be neatly resolved by the end.

I feel like 'character study' gets thrown around a lot anywhere a movie takes a moment of quiet to showcase thought process subjectively, but May December is literally about a character studying another character. So more than anything it's about trying to understand rather than judge or condone (which is besides the point - the movie doesn't pretend for even a second that any of this isn't fucked up, by the way). And for that matter the actress's empathy is self-interested: she just wants to nail the role.

So all in all it's icky but pretty good, heavy-handed with symbolism but bolstered by some fantastic performances and solid, realistic interactions that always kinda mask the underlying melodrama and awkwardness.

Oh and not that it has anything to do with any of this but before watching this I randomly said to my partner "I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies" and then refused to play the movie until she acknowledged who in Alien said that. Her first guess was "the alien".

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
May December

A famous actress is set to play the role of a 36 year old woman who raped a 13 year old kid, eventually marrying him and having his kids. She goes over to visit the actual person a few weeks before the shoot so he can get a better feel for the character. The family is cagey at first but more or less lets her into their lives. And while it doesn't exactly play out like one of those movies about a manipulative guest weaseling their way into a "happy" family, balance is definitely upset as a result. Just not in a way that will be neatly resolved by the end.

I feel like 'character study' gets thrown around a lot anywhere a movie takes a moment of quiet to showcase thought process subjectively, but May December is literally about a character studying another character. So more than anything it's about trying to understand rather than judge or condone (which is besides the point - the movie doesn't pretend for even a second that any of this isn't fucked up, by the way). And for that matter the actress's empathy is self-interested: she just wants to nail the role.

So all in all it's icky but pretty good, heavy-handed with symbolism but bolstered by some fantastic performances and solid, realistic interactions that always kinda mask the underlying melodrama and awkwardness.

Oh and not that it has anything to do with any of this but before watching this I randomly said to my partner "I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies" and then refused to play the movie until she acknowledged who in Alien said that. Her first guess was "the alien".
It was Ash, wasn’t it? The Android played by Ian Holm?

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Searchers (1956)

Ford was, by all means, a brilliant director from a formal perspective, his framing of the wasteland of the American frontier much more poignant than the story playing out in it, the performances very memorable in a larger than life way. Shout-out to Ken Curtis, whose accent and laugh made for some of the best moments in the movie. But for all its virtues, if there ever was a movie that needed a remake, it's this one. It was just not the right subject matter for the time, or the right time for the subject matter.
Yeah but it was already pretty challenging of conventions for its time. Any remake today woud be "just another remake" and it would not have the impact it did in 1956.

It's cool you're watching this stuff, I love it.