Super Hero Fatigue

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From Reddit Recap. My most upvoted comment this year.

View attachment 10268
I know not every director is going to worry about the reception of their films but this person really seems like they're up their own ass. Is the movie you wanted to make or was it just what the studio mandated? I feel like this person is either lying to themselves, or trying to fool people who like the movie. Whatever a few they are that did.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That is actually Fortnite, but I think what Elvis is referring to is this sound bite from Palps is canon. The opening crawl of TROS references Palpatine's broadcast to the galaxy about his return, and is the reason why Kylo Ren was hunting him down in the beginning of the movie.

So to do such a thing in a video game, much less Fortnite, is just... weird.

I mean they definitely didn't decide to edit the movie just to have that collaboration with Fortnite, they probably thought they could reuse some leftover dialogue that was cut. But the optics aren't great.
You're right, it was Fortnight, I completely misremembered.

Either way, my point stands. If it didn't show Palpatine surviving/being resurrected it doesn't count. It doesn't add anything to the already terrible movie, nor does it explain the ass-pull of where Palpatine came from.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not only are the new Marvel movies bad, they are also going nowhere with characters nobody cares about. The original run to Endgame usually gave you a movie that was entertaining like 6-7/10 good on average, you had a few great ones, and you had a few stinkers. But you always mostly cared about the characters and you cared where the overall plot was going. I was just straight bored out of my mind most of the time watching Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, and Thor 4. And that's not even mentioning the horrible TV shows. Hawkeye was probably the best one IMO and that's fucking Hawkeye. Loki was probably the most entertaining, but the last episode of season 1 (haven't seen season 2) was just an exposition dump to Kang so it's not a complete season in my eyes. The Captain America show was so fucking boring. The first half of WandaVision was good, then became shit in the second half. And that's all I watched, and I hear Secret Invasion is just straight shit.

After Endgame, Marvel absolutely failed in creating any kind of ongoing plot that anyone cared about. Yeah, they got unlucky with the Kang actor but you brought him in on a TV show. I know you have to transition to different characters since the actors can't keep playing them forever, but you created no new characters that people cared about and liked. And, to finish it off, the movies were straight up bad, not even like the standard like 6/10 movie that was entertaining during the watch but basically forgot about immediately afterwards; they weren't even entertaining to watch and straight-up made you angry at times with how bad they were.

Also, the MCU is now like the comics where there's too much shit to watch. It used to be like 2-3 movies at 2 hours apiece per year of your time, but now it takes so much more time to keep up with everything. It kinda went from a football season where it's somewhat easy to watch all your team's games to a baseball season of 162 games.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Also, the MCU is now like the comics where there's too much shit to watch. It used to be like 2-3 movies at 2 hours apiece per year of your time, but now it takes so much more time to keep up with everything. It kinda went from a football season where it's somewhat easy to watch all your team's games to a baseball season of 162 games.
^This. Marvel blew their load with all the popular and well-known IPs early on, and have since cranked the production line (because let's be honest, Marvel Studios is a factory, not an environment where creativity and innovation are nurtured) up to 11 with a bunch of relatively lesser-to-unknown characters and a multiverse to further convolute the mess they've made. Reminds me of the classic scene from I Love Lucy:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
^This. Marvel blew their load with all the popular and well-known IPs early on, and have since cranked the production line (because let's be honest, Marvel Studios is a factory, not an environment where creativity and innovation are nurtured) up to 11 with a bunch of relatively lesser-to-unknown characters and a multiverse to further convolute the mess they've made. Reminds me of the classic scene from I Love Lucy:

Iron Man used to be a C tier comic book character that they elevated to A tier just based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Same with the Guardians of the Galaxy. They can take lesser known characters that fewer people care about and make them cool and marketable. They just haven't since Phase 1.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Either way, my point stands. If it didn't show Palpatine surviving/being resurrected it doesn't count. It doesn't add anything to the already terrible movie, nor does it explain the ass-pull of where Palpatine came from.
Pretty sure the point wasn't that it added anything or explained anything, but instead that squirreling away something like like RoS's inciting incident (Palpatine's "galaxy-wide broadcast") in Fortnite is a dick move that makes the ass-pull worse.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Iron Man used to be a C tier comic book character that they elevated to A tier just based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Same with the Guardians of the Galaxy. They can take lesser known characters that fewer people care about and make them cool and marketable. They just haven't since Phase 1.
Yup. The MCU only exists because Marvel nearly went bankrupt and that had to sell all the rights to their most popular characters. Spider-man, X-men, Fantastic Four, etc. Its what makes the MCU even more impressive, they started an empire with characters no one gave a shit about, and were so successful that people don't even remember that the characters used to be nobodies.

Pretty sure the point wasn't that it added anything or explained anything, but instead that squirreling away something like like RoS's inciting incident (Palpatine's "galaxy-wide broadcast") in Fortnite is a dick move that makes the ass-pull worse.
Yup. We all already knew Palps was back because of the trailers, but them putting it into Fortnite just made it abundantly clear that the movie was written in a day, probably while on cocaine. They knew that it was a shit idea, so might as well milk it for the trailers and Fortnite.

Anyway, I never actually gave my thoughts about superhero fatigue.

Does it exist? Probably. But I don't think it's due to the characters they're using, or the lack of an overarching plot. I think the movies are just plain shit now. During the pandemic, I went back and watched a bunch of the MCU classics. I enjoyed them as much as the first time. I wasn't noticing dodgy special effects, shitty writing, or being annoyed by characters. All things that I experience now with the current crop of films. It could be nostalgia, but I really don't think it is.

My guess is that they're putting these movies out way too fast, way too often, and that reflects in their quality.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I just saw Godzilla - One. It had a budget about 1/2 of an episode of She-Hulk. $15 million. It was a blast. They put so much on the screen. But most of it was about human characters dealing with human situations.

ITMT, they're giving us such drivel from Disney (which owns Marvel) people are wondering if it is all A.I. written.

There's been so many "monsterverse" movies of late, yet the new Godzilla movie felt like someone gave a dang about the story, character arcs, etc. No fatigue here.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just saw Godzilla - One. It had a budget about 1/2 of an episode of She-Hulk. $15 million. It was a blast. They put so much on the screen. But most of it was about human characters dealing with human situations.

ITMT, they're giving us such drivel from Disney (which owns Marvel) people are wondering if it is all A.I. written.

There's been so many "monsterverse" movies of late, yet the new Godzilla movie felt like someone gave a dang about the story, character arcs, etc. No fatigue here.
That's because Toho knows what they're actually doing. They have slipped up before and I didn't like Shin Godzilla much. Wish wasn't AI written. I don't care how much you just like it. That was just Disney being their usual selves and playing it way too safe.

Also, I like the Monster verse, barring Godzilla 2014. The Monster Verse doing its own thing. Minus One is your more serious Godzilla monster movie, and the monster verse movies take the more fun approach. Nothing is wrong with neither and it's nice to have both. The people who make the Monster verse movies to care. I don't know about that TV series that recently aired on peacock or whatever, but I'm not invested. I'm just waiting for the new Godzilla X Kong movie. Kong has a bionic arm now and is even more like Kratos.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
That's because Toho knows what they're actually doing. They have slipped up before and I didn't like Shin Godzilla much. Wish wasn't AI written. I don't care how much you just like it. That was just Disney being their usual selves and playing it way too safe.

Also, I like the Monster verse, barring Godzilla 2014. The monster versus doing its own thing. Minus One is you're more serious Godzilla monster movie, and the monster verse movies take the more fun approach. Nothing is wrong with neither and it's nice to have both. The people who make the Monster verse movies to care. I don't know about that TV series that recently aired on peacock or whatever, but I'm not invested. I'm just waiting for the new Godzilla X Kong movie. Kong has a bionic arm now and is even more like Kratos.
I can't believe it's been near 10 years since the Bryan Cranston Godzilla! My buddy thought it much more recent and, well, no it wasn't but I didn't realize it was that old! Not seen shin Godzilla. Is it similar to Colverfield, a found footage version?

I wouldn't be so certain about them not using A.I. for scripts. I tried out ChatGTP asking it to give me a 5 page screen play about a topic and boom, it made it. At best, one would need to edit/punch it up some. Back in the day Entertainment magazine would do an annual piece about power in Hollywood. Actors, directors, producers: if they want a movie made, who can get it done i.e. if Christopher Nolan wants to make a movie it is getting made. One year they did another piece in addition to the power one: No Power. It was about writers. Imagine how much they'd love to tell writers they are not needed anymore. Dramatized in 1992's, "The Player" Peter Gallagher is an exec saying how little writers are needed and then starts spouting out some concepts saying such concepts would bring about a movie as they write themselves. A.I.? Wife poo pooed my concerns then took a class for work and after it she said to me, "thank g-d we're nearing retirement".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can't believe it's been near 10 years since the Bryan Cranston Godzilla! My buddy thought it much more recent and, well, no it wasn't but I didn't realize it was that old! Not seen shin Godzilla. Is it similar to Colverfield, a found footage version?

I wouldn't be so certain about them not using A.I. for scripts. I tried out ChatGTP asking it to give me a 5 page screen play about a topic and boom, it made it. At best, one would need to edit/punch it up some. Back in the day Entertainment magazine would do an annual piece about power in Hollywood. Actors, directors, producers: if they want a movie made, who can get it done i.e. if Christopher Nolan wants to make a movie it is getting made. One year they did another piece in addition to the power one: No Power. It was about writers. Imagine how much they'd love to tell writers they are not needed anymore. Dramatized in 1992's, "The Player" Peter Gallagher is an exec saying how little writers are needed and then starts spouting out some concepts saying such concepts would bring about a movie as they write themselves. A.I.? Wife poo pooed my concerns then took a class for work and after it she said to me, "thank g-d we're nearing retirement".
I know it's Disney and everything, but they didn't use AI for this movie; it's just them being their dumb and safe selves. I have not forgotten dad there are many movie studios in Hollywood that want to replace actors and writers with AI or CGI. They can go straight to hell for trying that shit. I will say Disney did try to use AI art for one of their dumb anniversary things, but people immediately saw it called bullet pack on even YouTube doesn't like AI thumbnails. And that is saying something.

Wish is just an average movie that got over hyped and people were expecting something random beautiful, when besides are already there for the start. Or you have the usual click and rage baiters mouthing up the storm and crying over nothing like they lost their lives. I'm not buying into the hole they used an AI script for this. You can believe whatever the hell you want on this, but I don't care. If they did use AI to write the script, then I hope that they're not dumb enough to try it again. As we've seen that, threshold is vast, and many movie studios are suffering from their greed, blind stupidity, and trying to constantly screw everyone over.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Keep it going a little longer and it will start forgetting what it was talking about. With prompting, AI can start giving out something decent looking, but it stumbles if asked to continue.
I think for some time into the near future, you will still need editors but I think the thing a heck of a tool that is going to automate a ton. It is going to be as big a challenge for the bright collar class as automation in factory, manufacturing, warehousing was the blue color class from the 80s to today.

Just spoke with a buddy that loved Suicide Squad but shut off The Suicide Squad just as they were meeting up with the rebels. I told him he needed to finish it and stop looking at it as if it is a dark Zack Snyder type of movie but more in line with Guardians of the Galaxy. Written by that guy too. But he's not showing any signs of fatigue on the subject.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah I definitely don't have superhero fatigue. I've seen a ton of comicbook movies in theaters this year. GOTG, peacemaker, suicide squad, deadpool, werewolf by night, etc are clear contradicting examples that the name has nothing to do with the overall successful of superhero films. If it looks good & compelling people will go see it.

The things I chose to not watch or not see in theaters, just did not interest me and in some cases looked bad. I still think about my initial reaction to the Marvels trailer and thinking "I actively do not like Brie Larson Captain Marvel, she's bland and mean. Monica Rambo is a non-character...dang i wish they had just made a ms. Marvel movie."

Somebody somewhere said "hey maybe we take it easy and do a Ms. Marvel, small stakes save the Neighborhood meteor man style film on 60mil. Muslim actors are cheap!"

and somebody fired back with "all marvel films must make a billion dollars" and everything went to shit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
and somebody fired back with "all marvel films must make a billion dollars" and everything went to shit.
Just like the video game industry, it's either all the money in the universe or nothing at all when it comes to the big Hollywood movies.

Somebody somewhere said "hey maybe we take it easy and do a Ms. Marvel, small stakes save the Neighborhood meteor man style film on 60mil. Muslim actors are cheap!"
I appreciate the shout out to Meteor Man. I used to watch that one a lot as a 4-year-old. Not so much nowadays, but I appreciate what Townsend was trying to do.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Just like the video game industry, it's either all the money in the universe or nothing at all when it comes to the big Hollywood movies.

I appreciate the shout out to Meteor Man. I used to watch that one a lot as a 4-year-old. Not so much nowadays, but I appreciate what Townsend was trying to do.
Yeah idk, Meteor man always comes to mind whenever I think of "local superhero movie" you know where somebody gets powers fighst crime, loses them, neighborhood bands together. It apparently flopped in theaters, but the wiki seems to indicate it had a following on home video. I'd be surprised if you found a xennial who hasn't seen it. It was on cable all the time when I was a kid. I've probably seen it 4 or 5 times in that USA/TNT era of television where scifi and superhero movies were on all day everyday.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I have a feeling Marvel and Disney might not actually be capable of making movies under a 100mil due to the size of their organizations. You know, like they probably have so much financial impracticalities that they can't hire people cheap or make things cheap anymore. ROTS doesn't look one iota better than TESB, but TESB was made on sets on small lots with poster backgrounds and model kits cut up by hand. I just don't think Disney is even capable of producing films in that way anymore.

There's certain analogy to be made between Disney and the Deathstar.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
it. It was on cable all the time when I was a kid. I've probably seen it 4 or 5 times in that USA/TNT era of television where scifi and superhero movies were on all day everyday.
True, a lot of my time watching it was from my mom renting it multiple times from Blockbuster. Then sometimes a Double Dragon movie. We told her not to do that one anymore after a certain point.

I have a feeling Marvel and Disney might not actually be capable of making movies under a 100mil due to the size of their organizations. You know, like they probably have so much financial impracticalities that they can't hire people cheap or make things cheap anymore. ROTS doesn't look one iota better than TESB, but TESB was made on sets on small lots with poster backgrounds and model kits cut up by hand. I just don't think Disney is even capable of producing films in that way anymore.

There's certain analogy to be made between Disney and the Deathstar.
Sucks to be them. I personally think they're capable of doing so, they just don't want to. All that money and boasting in the entire world, and none of y'all can make a film on the cheaper side out of either pride or your own stupidity and messing up your finances. It's not a good outlook either way. Yet Netflix, Blumhouse, DreamWorks, or in the studios in general are dancing circles around Disney and Warner Brothers. Warner Bros Discovery I have a bigger personal beef with at the moment, because of the firing of all their people of color or women in powerful positions. Hope it was worth it you jackasses. You lost all that money from The Flash, and cancelling Batgirl and Scoob didn't save. Your reality shows are crap and there's barely anything worth watching on HBO Max. I don't blame people for pirating from TV again, if they're just going to get rid of all their good stuff (that either don't have physical versions, or digital only, or not available in specific regions), because it doesn't appeal to white men only, or WBD feels it doesn't make all the money in the world.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

It is not insignificant to note that Toho regularly takes breaks between each Godzilla movie.