The Great Final Fantasy Retrospective - Let's Mosey

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Having just marathoned a bunch of Final Fantasy game in the mainline series I've come to this coclusion.

I don't think Final Fantasy X has aged well, and I would put it along side the weaker entries of the series like 2, 8, and 13.

Its far too grindy then any other game in the series. In earlier games you just level up instantly and all your stats increase, that's it. The Sphere Grid makes this process 10 times slower then it needs to be and you won't be able to take full advantage of having characters cross over into other grids until end game, so it will be a while if you want Tidus to have Auron's strength. And the post-game, oh god the post game, be prepared for some of the most soul crushing grindy activiites you will do if you want to 100% the game. To get the ultimate weapons for your characters and the amount of grinding you need to do to be strong enough to face to the Superbosses. Its post game is worse then any other game in the past in terms of how much there is to do and how hard it is to accomplish them

And while Final Fantasy games have different settings then the last game, this game is TOO different to be a Final Fantasy game imo. Like even 7 has some roots in the established tropes and ideas and motiffs of the series. Like there are no crystals in this game that are relevant to the plot or setting in anyway for example. And for a game where Summoners are important a lot of the mainstay Summon monsters are missing, only Shiva, Ifrit, and Bahamut, the last of which is very different then how it was usually depicted.

Like you think Leviathan would have made a lot of sense to add in the Summon roster because of how much water is in this game.

And for the love of god, PLEASE PLEASE, add a skip cutscene feature in this game. Even in this HD Remaster there is still no skip cutscenes.

Kingdom Hearts 1's re-release has a skip cut scene feature added.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Its far too grindy then any other game in the series. In earlier games you just level up instantly and all your stats increase, that's it. The Sphere Grid makes this process 10 times slower then it needs to be and you won't be able to take full advantage of having characters cross over into other grids until end game, so it will be a while if you want Tidus to have Auron's strength. And the post-game, oh god the post game, be prepared for some of the most soul crushing grindy activiites you will do if you want to 100% the game. To get the ultimate weapons for your characters and the amount of grinding you need to do to be strong enough to face to the Superbosses. Its post game is worse then any other game in the past in terms of how much there is to do and how hard it is to accomplish them
While the grind for all the super weapon is really long, you only really need 3 to clear all the hardest stuff, specifically Titus/Wakka/Riku. Of those, Titus and Riku are easy to get and you can make something just as good as Wakka ultimate weapon without doing the blitzball minigame. As for grindding character stats, its actually much faster than most other FF game to get to something like "level 99" since there's a couple of way to make weapon/armour that will give you mass amount of exp and tons of sphere item. So while I'd say that doing 100% of FFX is the hardest/longest of any FF game, doing 95% of it isn't particularly hard and the amount of post game content is actually higher than most (all?) other game in the franchises, so it comes down to whether you're doing post game content because you enjoy playing the game or if you're doing it to be able to say you did 100%.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
While the grind for all the super weapon is really long, you only really need 3 to clear all the hardest stuff, specifically Titus/Wakka/Riku. Of those, Titus and Riku are easy to get and you can make something just as good as Wakka ultimate weapon without doing the blitzball minigame. As for grindding character stats, its actually much faster than most other FF game to get to something like "level 99" since there's a couple of way to make weapon/armour that will give you mass amount of exp and tons of sphere item. So while I'd say that doing 100% of FFX is the hardest/longest of any FF game, doing 95% of it isn't particularly hard and the amount of post game content is actually higher than most (all?) other game in the franchises, so it comes down to whether you're doing post game content because you enjoy playing the game or if you're doing it to be able to say you did 100%.
Why only Rikku, Wakka, and Tidus?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Because they are fucking broken characters when built correctly and the three of them alone can wipe out every super boss in the game without trying too hard.
And they're the only character who can fight underwater, there's a couple of optional boss that are underwater and can't be fought win anyone else, so you need to level them up if you're going to do everything.

But yeah they're also the strongest character, Wakka and Titus have the strongest limit break as far as damage dealer goes and Rikku can use her's to make special effect happen that are hard to do even with magic (like shielding the entire party).

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
And they're the only character who can fight underwater, there's a couple of optional boss that are underwater and can't be fought win anyone else, so you need to level them up if you're going to do everything.

But yeah they're also the strongest character, Wakka and Titus have the strongest limit break as far as damage dealer goes and Rikku can use her's to make special effect happen that are hard to do even with magic (like shielding the entire party).
Yeah Rikku seems to have that AOE healing/buffing of the party that Yuna lacks.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Well RIP Auron and Lulu in my party then.
It's been over a decade since I played FFX but I remember that you could get certain sphere items that allowed you to learn sphere skills regardless of your grid. But the condition was that another character had to learn it first. So I had these Black Magic Spheres which I used to teach Yuna Firaga, Thundaga, Blizzaga and Flare. Made Lulu obsolete since Yuna's grid had way better stats.

Though at end game with Ultima weapons, there wasn't much reason to use anything but 1MP Holy. Giving Yuna black magic is mostly a mid game thing.

But I always thought in theory that if you leveled every character sufficiently like a madman, all characters would eventually become identical cause all the sphere grids were connected so everybody could learn everything. Then the only differentiating factor would be the Overdrives. But I guess with a Max Level limit, eventually your grid progress will stop before you manage to do all of that.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It's been over a decade since I played FFX but I remember that you could get certain sphere items that allowed you to learn sphere skills regardless of your grid. But the condition was that another character had to learn it first. So I had these Black Magic Spheres which I used to teach Yuna Firaga, Thundaga, Blizzaga and Flare. Made Lulu obsolete since Yuna's grid had way better stats.

Though at end game with Ultima weapons, there wasn't much reason to use anything but 1MP Holy. Giving Yuna black magic is mostly a mid game thing.

But I always thought in theory that if you leveled every character sufficiently like a madman, all characters would eventually become identical cause all the sphere grids were connected so everybody could learn everything. Then the only differentiating factor would be the Overdrives. But I guess with a Max Level limit, eventually your grid progress will stop before you manage to do all of that.
FFX allowed you to fill the entire sphere grid with every char so by the end every char hit for the same and had the same life so only things like their limit breaks and being able to summon and so on had any meaningful difference.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So I tweeted to people about this, but my guess is that Rebirth will end exactly there. And I think the final boss will be a losing battle against one of the awakening planetary weapons. We ultimately lose the fight which allows Shinra to "rescue" us. This is basically the end of Disc 1 in the original game and Disc 2 starts with the party imprisoned awaiting execution and otherwise scattered, which is the perfect way to start part three of this trilogy.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So I tweeted to people about this, but my guess is that Rebirth will end exactly there. And I think the final boss will be a losing battle against one of the awakening planetary weapons. We ultimately lose the fight which allows Shinra to "rescue" us. This is basically the end of Disc 1 in the original game and Disc 2 starts with the party imprisoned awaiting execution and otherwise scattered, which is the perfect way to start part three of this trilogy.
I never played the original to completion, so forgive me for asking, but do you think a certain character's death will still happen? Part 1 has already shown that this is some sort of alternate universe where certain events happen differently. That death scene was rather shocking and a significant part of the story. I am geniunely curious on where the writers will go with this, because I feel it will cause an uproar in the community regardless

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I never played the original to completion, so forgive me for asking, but do you think a certain character's death will still happen? Part 1 has already shown that this is some sort of alternate universe where certain events happen differently. That death scene was rather shocking and a significant part of the story. I am geniunely curious on where the writers will go with this, because I feel it will cause an uproar in the community regardless
It is 100% going to happen. Nomura tweeted a tease about "that scene". So it's happening.

It needs to happen for the rest of the story to happen do because she does things later in the story that she needs to be kabobbed to do.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It is 100% going to happen. Nomura tweeted a tease about "that scene". So it's happening.

It needs to happen for the rest of the story to happen do because she does things later in the story that she needs to be kabobbed to do.
Nah, its going to happen and then be almost immediately retconned.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, its going to happen and then be almost immediately retconned.
This is my suspicion. The scene will be shown in some way... but it would be so very easy for them to then have Cloud fight some fate-ghosts to "undo destiny" or whateverthefuck.

They've already undone Zack's death, and completely rewritten Sephiroth's role. Why wouldn't they just twist the story out of all recognition?

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
This is my suspicion. The scene will be shown in some way... but it would be so very easy for them to then have Cloud fight some fate-ghosts to "undo destiny" or whateverthefuck.

They've already undone Zack's death, and completely rewritten Sephiroth's role. Why wouldn't they just twist the story out of all recognition?
AT most they might leave the 2nd one on that scene with hint that you'll be able to retcon it in the third one.