The Left calling out The Left for gaslighting people about crime

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
...and that should show you how utterly ludicrous that approach is.

You've proven nothing showing Walmart is overcharging their customers. For that to be a thing, it would be a massive conspiracy among all retailers, where is the proof?
:LOL:

You don't think that retailers can overcharge for goods without a "massive conspiracy"? Overcharging just isn't a thing? OK buddy.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
...and that should show you how utterly ludicrous that approach is.

:LOL:

You don't think that retailers can overcharge for goods without a "massive conspiracy"? Overcharging just isn't a thing? OK buddy.
Where is any of this proof? Also, how are we in a cost-of-living crisis that you keep saying we are in? You're just complaining to complain. People can not buy things from places like Walmart and Amazon, I don't for example.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Where is any of this proof? Also, how are we in a cost-of-living crisis that you keep saying we are in? You're just complaining to complain. People can not buy things from places like Walmart and Amazon, I don't for example.
As rent, bills and the cost of groceries skyrocket, it takes someone truly detached from the experience of the average person to deny the cost of living is getting worse. None of the mainstream parties in the UK deny its a cost of living crisis now, including the government-- and if they did, they'd be lambasted. Its obvious. It chimes with the experience of the vast majority of people. Every damn thing costs far more as you head through the high street, even necessities... and wages are stagnating.

Denial of the cost of living crisis is the complacency of the comfortably well-off and the detached.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And proof of this?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
As rent, bills and the cost of groceries skyrocket, it takes someone truly detached from the experience of the average person to deny the cost of living is getting worse. None of the mainstream parties in the UK deny its a cost of living crisis now, including the government-- and if they did, they'd be lambasted. Its obvious. It chimes with the experience of the vast majority of people. Every damn thing costs far more as you head through the high street, even necessities... and wages are stagnating.

Denial of the cost of living crisis is the complacency of the comfortably well-off and the detached.
There's not a cost of living crisis in America, don't know about England.

Also, you still haven't said anything at all reasonable to say Walmart is charging egregious amounts of money. Whereas Dollar General literally steals from people and is in the least well-off areas to boot. You're just complaining to complain.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
What does that have to do with Walmart?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
What does that have to do with Walmart?
A lot of companies use algorithms to track competitor prices and use those when calculating their own prices. Sometimes this is used to undercut a competitor, sometimes it's used as justification to raise prices as "following the market." Companies justified this action as not actually price fixing because they aren't directly talking to their competitors and officially setting prices among themselves.

The FTC has now specified that using an algorithm to set your prices based on the prices of your competitors within the market still counts as price fixing, even if there's no direct communication between the actors.

The article I posted specifically talks about housing, but it does state that the opinion applies to every industry.

The agencies filed a joint legal brief explaining that price fixing through an algorithm is still price fixing. The brief highlights key aspects of competition law important for businesses in every industry: (1) you can’t use an algorithm to evade the law banning price-fixing agreements, and (2) an agreement to use shared pricing recommendations, lists, calculations, or algorithms can still be unlawful even where co-conspirators retain some pricing discretion or cheat on the agreement.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Whereas Dollar General literally steals from people and is in the least well-off areas to boot.
That's odd, considering you implied earlier that overcharging was only possible with "massive conspiracy" :unsure:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
A lot of companies use algorithms to track competitor prices and use those when calculating their own prices. Sometimes this is used to undercut a competitor, sometimes it's used as justification to raise prices as "following the market." Companies justified this action as not actually price fixing because they aren't directly talking to their competitors and officially setting prices among themselves.

The FTC has now specified that using an algorithm to set your prices based on the prices of your competitors within the market still counts as price fixing, even if there's no direct communication between the actors.

The article I posted specifically talks about housing, but it does state that the opinion applies to every industry.
This is your proof against Walmart... Really?

That's odd, considering you implied earlier that overcharging was only possible with "massive conspiracy" :unsure:
Dollar General purposefully lists prices as being cheaper on the floor than when you check out.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This is your proof against Walmart... Really?
You didn't ask for proof against Walmart. You asked what the issue is if Walmart and other retailers have the same pricing. I answered price fixing. Then I provided an article from the FTC about how using algorithms to base your pricing on competitor pricing is price fixing regardless of the fact that the actors didn't specifically discuss price manipulation.

I don't have direct proof that Walmart uses these algorithms, though I believe that literally every major business does. I think that any multi-billion dollar business is going to be data driven, and so would use algorithms like this. I also think that the FTC knows that this has become a significant enough problem that they are now attempting to address it.

If you want specific proof that Walmart is using algorithms to price fix with other retail competitors then that's not something you or I could prove or disprove because neither you nor I work for Walmart corporate or a regulator agency that would have access to the information necessary to prove or disprove that it's happening.

I can say that Walmart has been caught price fixing in the past and has been sued for it before, and is currently being sued for price fixing with Energizer and Duracell.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You didn't ask for proof against Walmart. You asked what the issue is if Walmart and other retailers have the same pricing. I answered price fixing. Then I provided an article from the FTC about how using algorithms to base your pricing on competitor pricing is price fixing regardless of the fact that the actors didn't specifically discuss price manipulation.

I don't have direct proof that Walmart uses these algorithms, though I believe that literally every major business does. I think that any multi-billion dollar business is going to be data driven, and so would use algorithms like this. I also think that the FTC knows that this has become a significant enough problem that they are now attempting to address it.

If you want specific proof that Walmart is using algorithms to price fix with other retail competitors then that's not something you or I could prove or disprove because neither you nor I work for Walmart corporate or a regulator agency that would have access to the information necessary to prove or disprove that it's happening.

I can say that Walmart has been caught price fixing in the past and has been sued for it before, and is currently being sued for price fixing with Energizer and Duracell.

You replied to my post replying to Silvanus about retailers like Walmart price gouging, I guess you can show someplace like Target or grocery stores or Costco or whatever, not necessarily Walmart.

Just batteries is all you can find? We're talking about Walmart and others lying about inflation and price gouging on tons of things like food and necessities.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You replied to my post replying to Silvanus about retailers like Walmart price gouging, I guess you can show someplace like Target or grocery stores or Costco or whatever, not necessarily Walmart.

Just batteries is all you can find? We're talking about Walmart and others lying about inflation and price gouging on tons of things like food and necessities.
That was just the most recent one, which happened last month.

I figured if I provided you historical examples then you'd complain that it wasn't proof that it's currently happening.

Walmart was also penalized $27 million in 2015 for price fixing regarding online DVD rentals.

Sources:

I can provide more examples but I'm pretty sure it's pointless for me to do so given how dismissive you are of retail price-fixing actually even being an issue. There's also international examples, but then you'd complain that it doesn't count if it didn't happen in the US.

Overall Walmart has been penalized $308,250,000 for competition related offenses, including price-fixing.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That was just the most recent one, which happened last month.

I figured if I provided you historical examples then you'd complain that it wasn't proof that it's currently happening.

Walmart was also penalized $27 million in 2015 for price fixing regarding online DVD rentals.

Sources:

I can provide more examples but I'm pretty sure it's pointless for me to do so given how dismissive you are of retail price-fixing actually even being an issue. There's also international examples, but then you'd complain that it doesn't count if it didn't happen in the US.

Overall Walmart has been penalized $308,250,000 for competition related offenses, including price-fixing.
Again, how is Walmart (or any major retailer(s)) price gouging past inflation just to make more money? We're talking about people going to the store and having to pay more for groceries or clothes or just normal stuff.

Also, that case didn't have anything to do with price fixing between Netflix and Walmart.
The subscribers alleged that the deal subjected them to supracompetitive subscription prices. Had Walmart remained in the online DVD-rental market, they claimed, Netflix would have reduced its prices to stay competitive.

In the 39-page appellate opinion, the three-judge panel said that the trial court properly ruled for Netflix on this claim because, when Walmart first entered the market, Netflix did not lower its prices - it actually increased them.

Netflix also did not lower its prices in response to a price cut by Blockbuster, which at the time had a greater share of the market than Walmart did, the court found, adding that Netflix never viewed Walmart as a true competitor.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Shareholder dividends are theft.
Well, then you'd best find a way to force every publicly traded company to buy back all outstanding shares and then presumably distribute them equally among all employees?

I mean, or you could go start a co-op and demonstrate why said model is best.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
In the 39-page appellate opinion, the three-judge panel said that the trial court properly ruled for Netflix on this claim because, when Walmart first entered the market, Netflix did not lower its prices - it actually increased them.

Netflix also did not lower its prices in response to a price cut by Blockbuster, which at the time had a greater share of the market than Walmart did, the court found, adding that Netflix never viewed Walmart as a true competitor.
Is there any scenario for which the Netflix response isn't to raise prices?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Well, then you'd best find a way to force every publicly traded company to buy back all outstanding shares and then presumably distribute them equally among all employees?
One could do it by law. Just like we have laws against other things, including some forms of theft.

I mean, or you could go start a co-op and demonstrate why said model is best.
The model is best because it does not steal from employees to enrich an idle owning class; there is very little need to demonstrate this beyond what has already been demonstrated.