The Mario Movie trailer is out

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This was going to end up cringe regardless.
No way. This movie ain't even close to cringe. Cringe is the Emoji Movie, the Shrek clones from the early to late 2000s, and some of the later Shrek sequels themselves. This is something that I should save the hot takes, but Illumination gets way too much hate on the online scape and YouTube. I don't care for all of their movies, but the worst you can say about them is that they're usually average at worse, and above average at their best most of the time. I don't like their version of The Grinch, and The Lorax felt so corporate and by the commitee that it's not funny. Yet most people in the real world, and not constantly online being a know-nothing-know-it-all critics, seem to like them fine enough.

The only reason so many anti-fans and "professionals" lash out at Illumination, is because the studio usually makes much as, or sometimes more than their superior competitors. I willing to give them a chance. People gave both Sonic Movies a chance, and I like both of them. Sonic 2 is better, but suffers having gags that go on way too long, and once again wasting time with human characters no one cares about! I am not here to see some jackass's stupid wedding! I came here for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman! I swear if I ever decide to pick up these movies, I am getting used and on the cheap side. Sonic 3 better keep the human side characters to a minimum, and just have it take place on Mobius.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Damn I need grand kids stat! I'd think this property would mean more to old guys like me for whom Mario was one of the only truly must play games back in the day. And I will not go see this by myself. I'd think it grounds for arrest on suspicious behavior. But do little kids know an play Mario games nowadays? If not, who is this for? Looks to be pretty funny. Much better than the live action film from 1990ish.

Honest Trailer

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Damn I need grand kids stat! I'd think this property would mean more to old guys like me for whom Mario was one of the only truly must play games back in the day. And I will not go see this by myself. I'd think it grounds for arrest on suspicious behavior. But do little kids know an play Mario games nowadays? If not, who is this for? Looks to be pretty funny. Much better than the live action film from 1990ish.

Honest Trailer

Not every kid is allowed to play GTA. There are plenty of kids that like or care for Mario and Sonic. There's a reason why Mario still making bank. Despite some setbacks, Sonic is still making bank and popular with the kids. This is a movie that's clearly for Mario fans of old and new. I used to barely enjoy the live action movie, but that was the scenic ages of four and six. By the time I was seven, I started realizing how bad the movie actually was.

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No way. This movie ain't even close to cringe. Cringe is the Emoji Movie, the Shrek clones from the early to late 2000s, and some of the later Shrek sequels themselves. This is something that I should save the hot takes, but Illumination gets way too much hate on the online scape and YouTube. I don't care for all of their movies, but the worst you can say about them is that they're usually average at worse, and above average at their best most of the time. I don't like their version of The Grinch, and The Lorax felt so corporate and by the commitee that it's not funny. Yet most people in the real world, and not constantly online being a know-nothing-know-it-all critics, seem to like them fine enough.

The only reason so many anti-fans and "professionals" lash out at Illumination, is because the studio usually makes much as, or sometimes more than their superior competitors. I willing to give them a chance. People gave both Sonic Movies a chance, and I like either one of them. Sonic 2 is better, but suffers having gags that go on way too long, and once again wasting time with human characters no one cares about! I am not here to see some jackasses stupid wedding! I came here for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman! I swear if I ever decide to pick up these movies, I am getting used and on the cheap side. Sonic 3 better keep the human side characters to a minimum, and just have it take place on Mobius.
I have a low tolerance for the kind of humor Illumination generally goes for, and that one joke in this trailer already tells me enough. Honestly, most attempts at humor even in the higher tiers of western animation leave me cold, but Illumination always goes for the lowest hanging fruit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have a low tolerance for the kind of humor Illumination generally goes for, and that one joke in this trailer already tells me enough. Honestly, most attempts at humor even in the higher tiers of western animation leave me cold, but Illumination always goes for the lowest hanging fruit.
Nah, I still say DreamWorks when they were chasing their own tail and other animation Studios were copying them are way worse. You don't want to go back to the mid to late 2000s when everybody was trying and failing. Say what you will about How To Train Your Dragon, but at least it got them out of that funk, and allowed them to experiment again. Kung Fu Panda it's cool too. Though I never really watched the sequels, nor the TV series.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Kung Fu Panda it's cool too. Though I never really watched the sequels, nor the TV series.
Kung Fu Panda 2 was pretty good. It still felt like it could be a live-action Kung Fu movie with actual people. The third one was much more cartoon-y and would really only work with animals.
I never watched the TV series so I can’t judge the quality.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kung Fu Panda 2 was pretty good. It still felt like it could be a live-action Kung Fu movie with actual people. The third one was much more cartoon-y and would really only work with animals.
I never watched the TV series so I can’t judge the quality.
KFP2 is usually considered the peak of the franchise and the best of the e trilogy. 3 is still concerned a great film from what I heard, but some martial arts fans were disappointed that they weren't using the more grounded moves you see and most Hong Kong and Jackie Chan films. If that's the worst complaint you can get on the third entry, then that means it's movie is good regardless.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I gotta say, the penguin scene really worked for me. Bowser's flying castle is legit awe inspiring, they played the snowball attack straight without any sort of "well this is happening, can you believe this?" posturing or commentary, Bowser is set up as legitimately powerful and a force who could overrun the Mushroom Kingdom in a matter of hours.

And the single koopa troopa eating shit from the catapult snowball makes me cackle every time I see it.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
You could actually feel that this trailer was afraid to have Mario actually speak lol. Still can't tell exactly what they and Pratt are going for. It sorta sounds Italian?
It's a New York accent. Mario's been an Italian-American from Brooklyn at least since since Martinent first auditioned (his prompt was literally "Italian plumber from Brooklyn"), and Pratt's evidently leaning more into the Brooklyn aspect than the Italian aspect, much like in the Super Mario Bros. Show. He didn't get that thick Italian accent we're all familiar with until Mario 64.

And let's be honest here, if we take off the nostalgia goggles for a minute...an accent like that might be charming in small doses, but it would probably get a bit grating over the course of a full length film.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
And let's be honest here, if we take off the nostalgia goggles for a minute...an accent like that might be charming in small doses, but it would probably get a bit grating over the course of a full length film.
It got grating if you played the game for an extended period of time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
an accent like that might be charming in small doses, but it would probably get a bit grating over the course of a full length film.
Martinet's a talented guy, he can make it work. I'll share a little secret with everyone: when I first heard Mario's speaking role back in 1996 (at the age of 7), it felt awkward, because I was so used to the SMB: Super Show voice of the character. It did not take me too long, but the voice later became like family eventually.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's a New York accent. Mario's been an Italian-American from Brooklyn at least since since Martinent first auditioned (his prompt was literally "Italian plumber from Brooklyn"), and Pratt's evidently leaning more into the Brooklyn aspect than the Italian aspect, much like in the Super Mario Bros. Show. He didn't get that thick Italian accent we're all familiar with until Mario 64.

As someone with less than zero interest in this film, the critique that the "original" Mario voice actor wasn't cast has befuddled me since it has been a thing. I mean, it's a movie geared at children; if adults want to stick their nostalgic heads up Hollywood's ass with niggling complaints like that... let's just say it's exhausting. Between a pandemic, mass shootings, a war in Ukraine that's threatening to go nuclear, the recession, etc., grow up and focus your worry on shit that actually matters. At the very least keep your worries to yourself. You same lot got what you wanted with a reimagined live-action Sonic; can the children this movie is for get a movie that's not shredded in the grinder of adults' "IT'S NOT WHAT I WANT!", please?

That said, yes, the Mario 64 voice was fine for the few bits of spoken dialogue in the game, but I can't imagine trying to take that comedically stereotypical accent seriously throughout a feature-length cartoon that isn't Looney Tunes levels of constant comedy, and that trailer leads me to believe there's meant to be some genuine gravitas and drama at times in this film.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
You same lot got what you wanted with a reimagined live-action Sonic; can the children this movie is for get a movie that's not shredded in the grinder of adults' "IT'S NOT WHAT I WANT!", please?
Not to belabor the point, but I'm not sure that I'd count that as a mark against anyone. Sonic's original character design for the film could generously be described as off-putting, and by all accounts the redesign is a significant improvement. Never mind that the more cartoon-y redesign is itself a much more appealing design for the film's target audience.