We should have gotten better space adventure movies than the J.J. Abrams Star Trek and Star Wars movies during the late 2000s to mid 2010s

AstroCadet69

Sep 30, 2021
Country
USA
We should have gotten better space fantasy movies than the J.J. Abrams Star Trek and Star Wars movies during late 2000s and early to mid 2010s!

Who else here agrees?

Imagine a timeline where instead of those movies we have had gotten excellent adaptations of sci fi that had a sense of wonder like "Mass Effect", Iain M. Banks's "Culture", Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep", or "Dune".

Guardians of the Galaxy was good but I don't remember it having as strong a sense of awe and wonder as the sci fi mentioned above.

If I was given the ability to go back in time and change anything I want I would still have the MCU still be made but I would replace the J.J. Abrams Trek and Wars as well as Jupiter Ascending and Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets with much better space adventure movies.

I would also replace "Gravity" in 2012 with a biopic about Neil Armstrong or a astronaut movie on the level of quality as "Interstellar" or "The Martian".

It is sad that the best we had during the 2000s and early 2010s was Michael Bay and J.J. Abrams.

It seemed like there was a stigma against sci fi back then or at least a snobbish attitude toward it.

Did those attitudes made it hard to attract good writers, directors, and actors to this genre?

Or did Hollywood began to think the attention span of movie goers became shorter?

Why did Hollywood did such a bad job at cultivating sci fi talent during the 2000s?

I believe if we had gotten excellent adaptations of Mass Effect, Iain M. Banks Culture, or Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep instead of the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies there would be more excitement for space programs during the very early 2010s.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There's no reason why we "should" have good sci-fi movies, or movies in any genre, really. The good stuff stands out because it's an exception.

Also, both Jupiter Ascending and Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets are better than anything in the MCU, especially the latter. Despite not, you know, being good. So there.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
If I was given the ability to go back in time and change anything I want I would still have the MCU still be made but I would replace the J.J. Abrams Trek and Wars as well as Jupiter Ascending and Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets with much better space adventure movies.
Movies are difficult to make; saying "I would have replaced what got made with something better" is all well and good but it doesn't actually say anything of what flaws were present. Everyone wants the movies made to be the best possible version.