Your video game hot take(s) thread

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The yellow paint in most of these big budget games don't bother me. You all wanted realistic graphics. There's always gonna be consequences to what you want. You all deserve this; be proud of that.

At least do something that blends well with the environments. The clime-able rocks in MGS5 were highlighted on the map, but the distinguishing physical factor was a large, natural looking vertical crack showing what can be gripped. Even GoW: Ascension (or was it one of the PS3 Uncharted’s) had bird shit on the ledges that could be gripped/climbed.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At least do something that blends well with the environments. The clime-able rocks in MGS5 were highlighted on the map, but the distinguishing physical factor was a large, natural looking vertical crack showing what can be gripped. Even GoW: Ascension (or was it one of the PS3 Uncharted’s) had bird shit on the ledges that could be gripped/climbed.
And yet some people complain about those too. Ascension actually got complaints from some people from taking too much from Uncharted when it involved the climbing and some platforming. I disagree with the negative nancies. EviI West highlights where to go next with golden-white hilight/flashes on hooks, chains, and hand rails most of the time. No one cried about that, other than possibly biatch GGMan.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Wasn't this whole "yellow paint" thing like one post that got some likes? And now it's a "thing?"

Ugh... just.. .ugh

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wasn't this whole "yellow paint" thing like one post that got some likes? And now it's a "thing?"

Ugh... just.. .ugh
Even before that, There were people complaining about it in God of War 4. Alan Wake, did the yellow paint and highlight thing before everybody else caught on to it. Mirrors Edge too, but at least it has other color highlights. I'm not complaining either way. DmC 2013 used blue and red on where to go next. No one complained about that sign posting aside from the hardcore original DMC fans.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
And yet some people complain about those too. Ascension actually got complaints from some people from taking too much from Uncharted when it involved the climbing and some platforming. I disagree with the negative nancies. EviI West highlights where to go next with golden-white hilight/flashes on hooks, chains, and hand rails most of the time. No one cried about that, other than possibly biatch GGMan.
Just noticed I totally spelled climbable wrong wtf.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I kinda do that in Smite also but Smite has a mastery number you see on loading.
I don't remember that, but it's been a *long* time since I played Smite, possibly long enough that it predates that.

My hot take: The best MOBA was Demigod (2009).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't remember that, but it's been a *long* time since I played Smite, possibly long enough that it predates that.
I think Smite always had the mastery numbers, at least I always remember them on the loading screen under the character portrait. But, I have been playing it so long I might just have forgotten.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm fairly certain I got that game somehow, maybe with sins of a solar empire?

imo as far as traditional moba, EA version, dawngate, was the one I enjoyed the most.

But HoTS has the best system, but its different enough that I don't really think its fair to compare it to other traditional moba.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

My hot take: all MOBAs are terrible.

This is demonstrated by the fact that every single one has a community toxic enough to make Call of Duty blush.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
My hot take: all MOBAs are terrible.

This is demonstrated by the fact that every single one has a community toxic enough to make Call of Duty blush.
Nowaday its really nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

The big reason why community were so toxic is because MOBA were some of the first F2P games that got popular, which meant they had really high concentration of young kid with no disposable income. But now that F2P is pretty widespread and they're not so popular anymore, those kid aren't really there anymore and have moved on (I'm guessing stuff like fortnite is where they mostly congregate). Even back then it would get much better once you were pass the first early game, the one most full of really bad kid.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Ubisoft's Skull.n Bones is plain superior to Rare's Sea of Thieves. It didn't have to be like his. But one simply respects time and inventory space while the other makes you walk about like a gormless twat holding every new individual key or skull or prize in front of you instead of using any of the many pockets holding bunches of bloody coconuts n bananas or anything else so the same dull trip won't have to be repeated up n down the same damn mountain all afternoon. Wtf.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Playing Mario Wonder pretty much makes almost all of the New Super Mario Bros. sub-series of games obsolete now. Why would anyone ever want to go back to those? Unless you're a super hardcore Mario fan or learning history.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The Xbox Series X should have PC functions like Excel, Outlook, etc.

How has no one in Microsoft though of this? Just don't let it instead Steam for game pass or even better let it install steam, and roll in the dough.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

How has no one in Microsoft though of this? Just don't let it instead Steam for game pass or even better let it install steam, and roll in the dough.
Microsoft makes a lot of their money off the sale of Microsoft office, so that would be a big no. They have absolutely no incentive to add $100 of additional value to the xbox. I also can't imagine many people actually using the xbox for any of that. Most people don't even know that you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
...Why? There's literally no reason for that, even if it were possible/feasible. Functionally, the Office suite would be a nightmare to handle with a controller, and even if you were to hook up a keyboard and mouse like @Dirty Hipsters suggests, what they hell would you need the suite for on a gaming console? Outside of "I'm on a desert island, and all I have is my Xbox, Wi-Fi, and the need to tidy up my resume or do my taxes," there'd be absolutely no situation in which the convenience of Office on the Xbox would outweigh the already benefit of having it on your PC/laptop where it belongs.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Microsoft makes a lot of their money off the sale of Microsoft office, so that would be a big no. They have absolutely no incentive to add $100 of additional value to the xbox. I also can't imagine many people actually using the xbox for any of that. Most people don't even know that you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to it.
...Why? There's literally no reason for that, even if it were possible/feasible. Functionally, the Office suite would be a nightmare to handle with a controller, and even if you were to hook up a keyboard and mouse like @Dirty Hipsters suggests, what they hell would you need the suite for on a gaming console? Outside of "I'm on a desert island, and all I have is my Xbox, Wi-Fi, and the need to tidy up my resume or do my taxes," there'd be absolutely no situation in which the convenience of Office on the Xbox would outweigh the already benefit of having it on your PC/laptop where it belongs.
Because it's got better specs than this and is around the same size:

I also apologize, I meant you can buy Office 365 off of it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
No, I think we're on to something. The only thing that Microsoft needs to do is invent another controller with more buttons. Say instead of simply having an A, B, X, and Y they make a controller that has one button for every letter of the alphabet, 0-9, and a few common symbols. This could be what it takes to get Microsoft known as revolutionary innovators like Nintendo!

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
No, I think we're on to something. The only thing that Microsoft needs to do is invent another controller with more buttons. Say instead of simply having an A, B, X, and Y they make a controller that has one button for every letter of the alphabet, 0-9, and a few common symbols. This could be what it takes to get Microsoft known as revolutionary innovators like Nintendo!
They already have the Kinect. Imagine dragging around numbers in an excel spreadsheet with your hands. Think about how immersive that would be. Like Minority Report meets Office Space.

This will completely revolutionize accounting.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Because it's got better specs than this and is around the same size:

I also apologize, I meant you can buy Office 365 off of it.
That’s a thin client, they don’t usually run their OS locally but stream it essentially from a data centre as a virtual machine; they’re used in high security environments because it means you can’t store data locally at all so if they get stolen no one cares. And those specs are more than enough with a decent local computing cluster to run normal business apps. Swing and a miss.

Also, thin clients are tiny. Like four standard sized iPhones stacked 2x2 small. You could stack about six or so of them in the same place as a Series X or S