What have you learned today?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
You've been here for three days, and you get worse when I put the heating on!
Much apologies, there appears to be a lack of a working shower within these walls. I lit a scented candle tho?

Oh I'm well aware of that part, it was the Matthew Broderick bit that had me head tilting.
Ah, yeah there was a 1987 car accident in Ireland where a mother and daughter were the victims. Seems to be a tragedy more than foul play or under the influence.

Reactions: Baffle

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today (well, yesterday technically) I learned that Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez are brothers. I knew Martin Sheen was Charlie’s father but not that he was Estevez’s father, too. Curious why the brothers would have different last names, I did some digging and found that Martin Sheen was born Ramon Antonio Gerardo Estevez, the child of two immigrants, an Irish woman and a Spanish father, but took “Martin Sheen” as a stage name later in life to make it easier to get acting jobs. Charlie kept the stage name and Emilio opted to take his birth name. Huh, who knew?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Bill Murray doesn’t have an agent or publicist. If you want to get in contact with him for anything ranging from an interview to a part in a film, there’s a “1-800” number you have to call and leave a voicemail; if he’s interested, he’ll call you back.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Today (well, yesterday technically) I learned that Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez are brothers. I knew Martin Sheen was Charlie’s father but not that he was Estevez’s father, too. Curious why the brothers would have different last names, I did some digging and found that Martin Sheen was born Ramon Antonio Gerardo Estevez, the child of two immigrants, an Irish woman and a Spanish father, but took “Martin Sheen” as a stage name later in life to make it easier to get acting jobs. Charlie kept the stage name and Emilio opted to take his birth name. Huh, who knew?
Tangential thing, and not something I learned today, but that was pretty neat. Will Wheaton described an encounter with Emilio Estevez when they were both younger actors. I do not recall the movie in question, but it was an open casting call at that point. Will was in the waiting room with the other actors, and noted that Emilio came in as well. He sat down, they sort of nodded and waved to each other, made some polite chit chat, and then just proceeded to sit and wait. IIRC, Will said Emilio picked up a magazine or whatever, and just started quietly reading at that point. The assistant came out and saw Emilio was sitting there, and sort of started in surprise. Emilio was pretty hot at that time, I think Young Guns had recently come out, so the aid was all about giving him preferential treatment. Emilio looked at her, then looked at Will, and said "Will was here first." The aid tried to brush that off, and let him jump the line, to which Emilio repeated. "Will was here first" and proceeded to ignore her, and go back to his magazine, content to wait his turn. I think the line had reduced down to just Will and Emilio at that point, but I could be wrong. Will said that he proceeded to totally bomb that audition, as I think it was with Al Pacino, or maybe Martin Scorscesse, and he was really nervous and just sort of fanboy'd out, and Emilio ended up getting the role in the end. But he told the story because he really appreciated Emilio being a decent dude, which isn't very common in Hollywood.

Found the actual article, and I misremember a few details, but the gist was accurate.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Tangential thing, and not something I learned today, but that was pretty neat. Will Wheaton described an encounter with Emilio Estevez when they were both younger actors. I do not recall the movie in question, but it was an open casting call at that point. Will was in the waiting room with the other actors, and noted that Emilio came in as well. He sat down, they sort of nodded and waved to each other, made some polite chit chat, and then just proceeded to sit and wait. IIRC, Will said Emilio picked up a magazine or whatever, and just started quietly reading at that point. The assistant came out and saw Emilio was sitting there, and sort of started in surprise. Emilio was pretty hot at that time, I think Young Guns had recently come out, so the aid was all about giving him preferential treatment. Emilio looked at her, then looked at Will, and said "Will was here first." The aid tried to brush that off, and let him jump the line, to which Emilio repeated. "Will was here first" and proceeded to ignore her, and go back to his magazine, content to wait his turn. I think the line had reduced down to just Will and Emilio at that point, but I could be wrong. Will said that he proceeded to totally bomb that audition, as I think it was with Al Pacino, or maybe Martin Scorscesse, and he was really nervous and just sort of fanboy'd out, and Emilio ended up getting the role in the end. But he told the story because he really appreciated Emilio being a decent dude, which isn't very common in Hollywood.

Found the actual article, and I misremember a few details, but the gist was accurate.

Cool story. Emilio has always struck me as a class act kinda guy; he just has that laid back, chill demeanor, the kind of celebrity who's perfectly fine not being recognized and wouldn't use his celebrity to take advantage.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Cool story. Emilio has always struck me as a class act kinda guy; he just has that laid back, chill demeanor, the kind of celebrity who's perfectly fine not being recognized and wouldn't use his celebrity to take advantage.
Yeah, honestly I don't really ever think about him, and assumed he's just doing something else, since he's clearly not in films anymore after he aged out of his heartthrob youth looks. But it is nice to hear people being decent.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, honestly I don't really ever think about him, and assumed he's just doing something else, since he's clearly not in films anymore after he aged out of his heartthrob youth looks. But it is nice to hear people being decent.
Actually, he recently confirmed Young Guns 3 is in the works. Not sure who'd care at this point, but he's still active...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Actually, he recently confirmed Young Guns 3 is in the works. Not sure who'd care at this point, but he's still active...
I mean technically yes, his IMDB does show entries periodically, but I'd be hard pressed to find anyone that knows of those films. So he's definitely fallen out of the public eye, is really what I meant. Which is fine, I don't have an issue with the fact that the majority of actors don't stay A list forever. I just meant that he's definitely not been in anything that caught my attention in the last decade+, so I never really think of him as an actor anymore. I would say he's an average quality actor, like millions of other actors out there. Which again, isn't a criticism, the majority of actors are "work a day" kind of people.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Well, it's now only a matter of time before the silent wastes of Mars ring out to the sound of Fortunate Son.

A little over a hundred years to go from wood/canvas planes to aircraft on a whole other planet. Also, color footage from Mars now, neat.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Oh I'm well aware of that part, it was the Matthew Broderick bit that had me head tilting.
Matthew Broderick was charged with causing the death of two women when he drove down the wrong lane in 1987. He got off on a $175 fine. He says he doesn't remember any of it.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So, thanks to a comment on this week's ZP, apparently Denmark has a stop-motion animated kid's show about a man with a magic penis. You indeed read that right;

Reactions: Drathnoxis

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Today, I learned about SMOTE... (Synthetic Minority OverSampling TEchnique), its various... well, variants, and how utterly mind-numbingly boring it is to me(!)

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I learned that the loser/survivors of a kardashev 3 civilization war with another kardashev 3 civilization( the winner of said war) could be hunted down and killed via Von Neumann probes.

A kardashev 3 civilization is a galactic-sized civilization think Mass Effect's Council for example, but with more people, more Dyson spheres. (solar panel swarms surrounding the sun) A Von Neumann probe is a self-replicating AI-based rocket that launches at a resource in space like an asteroid or a rocket.

The theory by many people in astronomy; futurists, technologists, etc is that either kardashev 2(solar system sized) or 3 civ was unkillable. That's wrong.

For one, you fight a type or kardashev 1, 2,3 civilization with another similar, or stronger one, but it's implied the survivors could just go on the run and hide. False. They could be hunted down by AI-run ships and in the later stages Von Neumann probes.

Oh, and yes this is all theoretical, but it's sound logic. We also don't know if the great filter doesn't wipe a civ after they get some technology at some point pass type .73 civilization which was the reported number in 2018 for us.

So if you wanted to survive as a geopolitical power in space. You would need to if you can, be as big as possible in either a universe or multiverse with infinite space or in a finite universe or multiverse just be everywhere, and see anywhere(Like the US for the most part on Earth). Also, this assumes no time travel which I don't want to get into.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
For one, you fight a type or kardashev 1, 2,3 civilization with another similar, or stronger one, but it's implied the survivors could just go on the run and hide. False. They could be hunted down by AI-run ships and in the later stages Von Neumann probes.
There's a little browser game I'd recommend trying out called Universal Paperclips, without too many spoilers it gives a really interesting idea of how impossibly giant tasks can accomplished using self-replicating machines.

However, the kardashev scale isn't a measurement of size, it's a measurement of energy use. A type 2 civilization is capable of controlling or producing energy equivalent to an entire star, which is an insanely unimaginably giant amount of energy. A type 3 civilization isn't just the size of a galaxy, it controls the energy of a galaxy, for example all the energy produced by the 100,000,000,000 stars that make up our galaxy. This isn't just an unimaginable amount of energy, it's ludicrous to even try and think about it. It's really impossible to even start to comprehend whether or not our understanding of the universe, of societal development, of war or indeed of anything would even apply to a civilization capable of that kind of power.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apparently the "People in the past were Dirty all the time" is a myth and Public bathhouses have been a common feature in many cultures throughout history. Did people bathe every day? Likely not but they did bathe on a regular basis, using rivers, lakes or bathhouses where available. Apparently there was an order in Medieval England shutting Bathhouses down because they were turning into Brothels which means they were common enough for this to become a problem.

Also, in some ways the Victorians were more progressive then I had previously given them credit for. The UK passed laws against Animal Cruelty throughout the 19th century. The UK also starting taking Smallpox vaccination REALLY SERIOUSLY, first making it free and then making it compulsory. Considering how shitty smallpox is, i can't blame them.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Bonobos are horrendous perverts and are constantly having sex with anyone and everyone regardless of age or sex. Bonobos have sex with infants.

Reactions: Dalisclock