Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Rush: Great / Perfect

A film based on the real lives of Formula 1 drivers Niki Lauda and James Hunt in the 1970s. The two have starkly differing personalities, but the same passion for the sport, and a fierce rivalry and bond is formed; a relationship wherein the constant pressure to outdo the other, the line between hatred and respect for an “enemy” blurs and a kinship is born. Really great film. It helps to have some familiarity with the true nature of and drama behind the sport, but can be appreciated on its merits alone. Highly recommended for anyone who liked Ford vs. Ferrari; not as great a film, but similar enough in vein that it’s worthy.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The New Mutants (2020) on HBO Max
Good movie for streaming from home.
Based very loosely on a spin-off Xmen comics from the mid 1980s, we find five teens in a sort of psychiatric hospital. They all have dark pasts and are told, by a single lone female doctor, that they are kept there for their own protection. They seem to buy that for some reason. No cooks, janitors, security... just that doctor.
Has a weird almost horror vibe. Reminded me as being a cross between "Buffy" and "X-Files". When the credits rolled I saw the music was done by Mark Snow... who did music for X-Files.
As I went in with low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. Too much character development and talkey chat chat scenes but turned into a pretty good show by the end. 6.5/10

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Despite thinking I wouldn't be able to get around to this, I found a way to finish off the Leprechaun series with Leprechaun Returns.

I am surprised to come in here saying that the best of the Leprechaun movies was the one that went directly to SyFy, but that's exactly where I stand. While the new Leprechaun's voice is a bit higher-pitched than I'd like, the sense of humor that the movie has about it hit far more often than it missed, leading to several moments where I genuinely laughed out loud. Plus, each of the characters felt like they were real people, not just stock stereotypes put in to fill a specific role. Add in some very creative and surprisingly gory kills, and you have a movie that was just a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Murder on the Orient Express (2017) - 9/10

Interesting in that they made some hay out of the changes to certain character details. Enough to be interesting but not overbearing. Also fuck me there is a murderer's row in this movie. If you want to know if Daisy Ridley and Josh Gad can be in movies in general, I'd say this answers that question good and proper.

I mean lets be honest, the movie is based on one of the most famous murder mystery novels in existence. We know how it ends, so what matters is the journey and frankly its an enjoyable one. Is it as good as David Suchet's version? Its probably the better version at the adaptation level, but this is still a good movie.

Also I did not know Michelle Pfeiffer could sing, holy shit.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Murder on the Orient Express (2017) - 9/10

Interesting in that they made some hay out of the changes to certain character details. Enough to be interesting but not overbearing. Also fuck me there is a murderer's row in this movie. If you want to know if Daisy Ridley and Josh Gad can be in movies in general, I'd say this answers that question good and proper.

I mean lets be honest, the movie is based on one of the most famous murder mystery novels in existence. We know how it ends, so what matters is the journey and frankly its an enjoyable one. Is it as good as David Suchet's version? Its probably the better version at the adaptation level, but this is still a good movie.

Also I did not know Michelle Pfeiffer could sing, holy shit.

Yup. Did most of her own singing in the 1989 Fabulous Baker Boys

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Nobody - 6/10

Nobody is sorta a poor-man's John Wick, the plot is so very similar, the main character even having gold. The main problem with the movie is that it has tone issues. At first I thought it might be a not-so-serious fun romp of, I guess, the John Wick formula with the whole kitty cat bracelet missing. Then it gets pretty gritty and serious. Then, the final act is pretty light and fun. Decent watch but you could just rewatch John Wick for a much better and tonally consistent movie.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Speaking of Michelle Pfeiffer, her younger sister Deedee was in the Asylum's version of Journey to the Centre of the Earth, playing a scientist who pilots the drilling machine sent to rescue the 6 skinny young ladies pretending to be soldiers they've accidentally teleported deep underground where the giant spiders live.

Yeah, I hope her family are nice people, cause I could see them totally ignoring her in favour of Michelle at Christmas.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Aquaman

Surprisingly really fun and managed to pull off something pretty impressive by making what was mostly a joke of a character before seem badass. Enjoyable story if a bit cliche (hunt the McGuffin). CGI help up most places and the director or some of the visual design team very much beautiful but happy to acknowledge some of it's inspirations such as the fact stingray is playing on the TV at the start.
Acting wise well Willem DaFoe stole the damn show. Jason Momoa is presence and I think this is the best acting I've seen from him but he's still not good at the acting stuff other than when he's adding quips or saying some of the less polite lines, he's pretty good at the physicality stuff in acting out fights etc. Amber Heard though.......... Momoa is not a great actor but heard was almost as wooden as the puppets in Stingray. She seriously looked like she was struggling to show any emotion most of the time other than boredom or frustration even in scenes where here character was meant to be feeling something else, the CGI characters were better actors than her. Replace her with Karen Gillain and I swear the film would improve 10 fold.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Aquaman is a not a joke character.
He was in the Whedon JL and that ridiculous first movie poster. Surfer that talks to fish.
Enjoyable story if a bit cliche (hunt the McGuffin).
I found it's a monomyth story told very straight.
A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Just watched Godzilla vs. Kong. It was...pretty good, but at the same time, I felt it was a step back from KOTM. I enjoyed the monster fighting scenes, as usual, but I didn't really care for the conspiracy theory dude. He felt like a one-note joke that was held for too long.

And seriously? Even by movie scientist standards, using the skull of the three-headed monster that nearly killed humanity to create a mechanical Godzilla is way up there in the "This has fiasco written all over it" category. Even if it hadn't done what literally every robot monster in cinema does and break free of its programming, how did they plan to spin that?

That said, I did enjoy the movie well enough. It was just...not quite as strong as I was hoping.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
He's not supposed to be, but I also have a hard time seeing him as any more serious than The Deep from The Boys.
The fact that most writers don't utilize him in a way OTHER than as a joke, isn't the same thing as him being a joke. I think that's the big issue with Aquaman. I mean his super powers are pretty standard for tons of land based heroes. Super strength, super stamina/resistance (to damage), which by themselves puts him on par with plenty of "non-joke" characters. Plus he can pull a fucking Avatar Waterbender level shit when he's anywhere near 75% of the entire fucking planet, and if you happen to be in the ocean itself, you are extra fucked, unlike plenty of other land based heroes who would be severely hampered.

It's really a bizarre bit of contradiction really. Given how many people are utterly fucking terrified of the various fucking things that live in the ocean, and how many movies, some of them classics of cinema, revolve around "that terrifying thing from the depths of the ocean", it's baffling to me that people consider Aquaman a joke.

It's similar to characters like Jubilee and Kitty Pride, who are always written as basically useless, because the writers have no idea of how terrifying those power sets could be. I mean I can create light and sound at will. Sounds lame, but then you remember just how fucking debilitating intense light and sound can be to a human body. So much so, that they are often (and very effectively) deployed as crowd control. I've seen clips on YT of people at concerts, in front of a wall of speakers, who were visibly forced back when the bass kicked in, because the sonic wall was so intense, they couldn't stand it. You could see the distortion of the air from the soundwaves they were so intense. Flashbangs are a staple of most law enforcement to put an enemy out of sorts, and give you a huge advantage.

And the ability for someone to just choose to not be touched, and phase through anything she wants, is simultaneously an infiltrators dream agent, and a terrifying opponent to fight. IF SOMEONE WITH SOME FUCKING CREATIVITY actually thought about those powers.

But no, they instead just have them be awkward and unsure, and spend the entire film thinking they've got a terrible power set, and then they get to do ONE thing that is useful, and then that's it, they're contribution is done. One of the best things about X-Men 2, is the Nightcrawler scene. Because it was a GREAT example of "why this guy is actually fucking terrifying to fight"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The fact that most writers don't utilize him in a way OTHER than as a joke, isn't the same thing as him being a joke. I think that's the big issue with Aquaman. I mean his super powers are pretty standard for tons of land based heroes. Super strength, super stamina/resistance (to damage), which by themselves puts him on par with plenty of "non-joke" characters. Plus he can pull a fucking Avatar Waterbender level shit when he's anywhere near 75% of the entire fucking planet, and if you happen to be in the ocean itself, you are extra fucked, unlike plenty of other land based heroes who would be severely hampered.

It's really a bizarre bit of contradiction really. Given how many people are utterly fucking terrified of the various fucking things that live in the ocean, and how many movies, some of them classics of cinema, revolve around "that terrifying thing from the depths of the ocean", it's baffling to me that people consider Aquaman a joke.

It's similar to characters like Jubilee and Kitty Pride, who are always written as basically useless, because the writers have no idea of how terrifying those power sets could be. I mean I can create light and sound at will. Sounds lame, but then you remember just how fucking debilitating intense light and sound can be to a human body. So much so, that they are often (and very effectively) deployed as crowd control. I've seen clips on YT of people at concerts, in front of a wall of speakers, who were visibly forced back when the bass kicked in, because the sonic wall was so intense, they couldn't stand it. You could see the distortion of the air from the soundwaves they were so intense. Flashbangs are a staple of most law enforcement to put an enemy out of sorts, and give you a huge advantage.

And the ability for someone to just choose to not be touched, and phase through anything she wants, is simultaneously an infiltrators dream agent, and a terrifying opponent to fight. IF SOMEONE WITH SOME FUCKING CREATIVITY actually thought about those powers.

But no, they instead just have them be awkward and unsure, and spend the entire film thinking they've got a terrible power set, and then they get to do ONE thing that is useful, and then that's it, they're contribution is done. One of the best things about X-Men 2, is the Nightcrawler scene. Because it was a GREAT example of "why this guy is actually fucking terrifying to fight"

My brother.

And also, Aquaman is king of Atlantis. A nation with a navy big enough to be compared to the British Navy at the height of the British Empire. And technology more on par with New Genesis and magic into the bargain. You don’t fuck with the King of the Seas.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Just watched Godzilla vs. Kong. It was...pretty good, but at the same time, I felt it was a step back from KOTM. I enjoyed the monster fighting scenes, as usual, but I didn't really care for the conspiracy theory dude. He felt like a one-note joke that was held for too long.

And seriously? Even by movie scientist standards, using the skull of the three-headed monster that nearly killed humanity to create a mechanical Godzilla is way up there in the "This has fiasco written all over it" category. Even if it hadn't done what literally every robot monster in cinema does and break free of its programming, how did they plan to spin that?

That said, I did enjoy the movie well enough. It was just...not quite as strong as I was hoping.
That's as Dr Bunsen Honeydew in the muppets would say "A lunch time moment".
Or in other media a "It's above my paygrade so and I think I'd rather not know" moment.
They pay you to make it not to figure out how to sell it to people lol.