What are you currently playing?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I found Metroid Prime languishing at the back of my game closet and decided to give it another shot. So far it's been a really good time, though I've done a lot more backtracking than the game probably requires for its critical path just by getting distracted a lot. Benefits of a replay, I guess, not having to do as much of that.

Right now, I'm starting the first visit to Phazon Mines, and I've heard that this part is pretty difficult. Strong enemies, limited healing resources, one save point at the very beginning and a long path to a boss that will kill you... is this Dark Souls?
Metroid Prime is the Dark Souls of the Metroid series.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Metroid Prime is the Dark Souls of the Metroid series.
I thought Prime: Echoes was the "too hard" one in the Prime series. I put that in quotes because none of the Prime series was actually all that hard. It's been a long time, but I don't remember ever actually getting killed in any of the Prime games. It probably happened, but apparently not enough that I can remember a single instance. Anyway I do remember people complaining a lot about how difficult the "dark world" parts of Echoes was. I never remembered being that afraid, there seemed to be enough "safe areas" and health ticked down so slowly and you had so much health... I don't remember it being that difficult at all. Then again, people whined about the Varia suit-less heat zone sections in Other M. "Oh why would Samus go into that area and take damage without the Varia Suit unlock!" I don't know, maybe because you'd have to have set the controller down and gone out for a smoke for it to do enough damage to actually endanger her. Same with the dark world in Echoes, you'd have to be pretty terrible at the game for that to be more than just an annoyance. At least health wasn't self regenerating in Prime, it gave it some challenge.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I thought Prime: Echoes was the "too hard" one in the Prime series. I put that in quotes because none of the Prime series was actually all that hard. It's been a long time, but I don't remember ever actually getting killed in any of the Prime games. It probably happened, but apparently not enough that I can remember a single instance. Anyway I do remember people complaining a lot about how difficult the "dark world" parts of Echoes was. I never remembered being that afraid, there seemed to be enough "safe areas" and health ticked down so slowly and you had so much health... I don't remember it being that difficult at all. Then again, people whined about the Varia suit-less heat zone sections in Other M. "Oh why would Samus go into that area and take damage without the Varia Suit unlock!" I don't know, maybe because you'd have to have set the controller down and gone out for a smoke for it to do enough damage to actually endanger her. Same with the dark world in Echoes, you'd have to be pretty terrible at the game for that to be more than just an annoyance. At least health wasn't self regenerating in Prime, it gave it some challenge.
I actually don't know, I've only played Prime and Super. It needed to be said, though, because if the internet has taught me anything it's that everything is actually like Dark Souls.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finished Spiritfarer. It was meh. I don't have much more to say about it that I didn't say in my other post other than I hate the DnD character. He was so boring I skipped through 95% of his text. The story and characters just didn't grab me at all, and the gameplay was all just time-wasting. I completely stopped feeding anybody and it did not matter in the slightest. The food crafting is the most complex system in the game that most other activities feed into, and it does. not. matter.
I did tear up just a little at the very end when we hug the cat, but I'm not counting it in the games favour, I'm just a soft touch for swelling music and farewells.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I just finished Katamari Damacy Reroll. Not bad, pretty funny; but the King of All Cosmos is such a passive-aggressive jerk that, when I failed the final mission, it sounded like he was low-key disowning the Prince.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So the 2.0 update for MH Rise dropped yesterday. Pretty basic stuff, actually. New monsters to fight, weapons and armor to craft. But they also put in layered armor for all armors currently available. Which means I can finally indulge in the most important aspect of any Monster Hunter:

FASHION!

Yes, no longer will Isuffer the frustration of builds with good skills but ugly aesthetics. Now? Mechanical bennies while still looking fab. Gotta style all over the monsters.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So the 2.0 update for MH Rise dropped yesterday. Pretty basic stuff, actually. New monsters to fight, weapons and armor to craft. But they also put in layered armor for all armors currently available. Which means I can finally indulge in the most important aspect of any Monster Hunter:

FASHION!

Yes, no longer will Isuffer the frustration of builds with good skills but ugly aesthetics. Now? Mechanical bennies while still looking fab. Gotta style all over the monsters.
This is the only thing I ever see whenever someone talks about Monster Hunter

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It's funny because it's true.
The funny thing for me is I've never played the game, but just through memes I've already learned that HH mains were simultaneously kind of mocked....and then praised like the second coming when people realize how useful they are. The Support Main in me just smiled at that.

And it just dawned on me that JB voiced the main character in Brutal Legend, who fought with the equivalent of a hunting horn (that worlds ax/guitar), so it's even more fitting for that little clip.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ninja Saviors again on PS4. I finally managed to beat the game on Hard mode in this version. I died about 7 times. Fuck the last boss on this mode. Throwing mooks to break Banglar's glass shield is beyond a pain depending on who you have. I picked Ninja, the heavy grappler of the group. He's the easiest with the final boss., but can tough if you're not positioned just right, or have no idea what you need to do on your first playthrough.

I did a quick session of SOR4 too.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ninja Saviors again on PS4.
...that name makes me picture ninja door to door evangelists. They ring the doorbell, the person opens it to find an empty front patio, and then BLAM!! *smoke bomb ambush followed by screaming anime protagonist voice* "HELLO SIR/MADAAM!! CAN I TAKE A MINUTE OF YOUR TIME TO TALK ABOUT OUR LORD AND SAVIOR?!" *katana at their throat*

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
...that name makes me picture ninja door to door evangelists. They ring the doorbell, the person opens it to find an empty front patio, and then BLAM!! *smoke bomb ambush followed by screaming anime protagonist voice* "HELLO SIR/MADAAM!! CAN I TAKE A MINUTE OF YOUR TIME TO TALK ABOUT OUR LORD AND SAVIOR?!" *katana at their throat*
HAHAHAHAAAHA!

The original title is called Ninja Warriors Once Again (itself a remake of the Super Famicom game called Ninja Warriors Again). The SNES version was just called Ninja Warriors, the same as the original arcade game by Taito. The reason for the name change over hear in the States, is because of copyright and to avoid name confusion. Apparently, American Ninja Warrior (that TV show where people run obstacle course, yet no actual ninjas), had a game that came out that same year in 2019. Thus the name change. Fuck the copyright laws. It does not make sense, because Ninja Warriors has been around since 1987. ANW did not become a thing, until the late 2000s/early 2010s.

Although the title, Saviors, takes on a new and ironic meaning, if you know about the ending.

Reactions: happyninja42

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One more thing @happyninja42, if you ever decide to get this game on Switch or PS4, there are physical versions for either consoles on Amazon. They will cost about $29.99 physical. If you buy digital, it's $19.99. I do recommend the hard copies as you get a reversible cover, two stickers, two character cards, a fold out mini-poster, aaaaannnnnddddd....brace yourself, a full color instruction manual!

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
o_O

I'll probably not pick that one up to be honest. As I've said before, the brawler/tournament genres aren't my jam these days. Even in retro game nostalgia
I understand. If you ever change your mind, just remember you got robot ninjas! There's a short stack ninja with big titties! Her chest is just where she keeps her extension arms. So they're not close to being that big.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
One more thing @happyninja42, if you ever decide to get this game on Switch or PS4, there are physical versions for either consoles on Amazon. They will cost about $29.99 physical. If you buy digital, it's $19.99. I do recommend the hard copies as you get a reversible cover, two stickers, two character cards, a fold out mini-poster, aaaaannnnnddddd....brace yourself, a full color instruction manual!
“Full”, like the old days where they actually have an introduction, button mapping, moveslist and other cool stuff? I haven’t seen that since I think MGS4.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
“Full”, like the old days where they actually have an introduction, button mapping, moveslist and other cool stuff? I haven’t seen that since I think MGS4.
Yes. Ninja Saviors has all that you listed.

What else have you've been playing? I know in the AAA space, a majority of manuals became almost non-existent on Sony and Microsoft consoles during the mid-late 7th gen and early 8th gen. There were plenty of AA games, niche games or indie games with physical copies that have full color manuals. A lot of games on the 3DS, though not all, have full color manuals. I am not just talking about the 1st party games on that title either. Killer Is Dead (360, PS3, and later ported to PC) and Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (PS4) have full color manuals, regardless if you got the standard or special editions w/bonuses. Then again both are niche games. Though KID is a niche AAA title. Many games on the Switch have either a small manual or the reversible covers.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yes. Ninja Saviors has all that you listed.

What else have you've been playing? I know in the AAA space, a majority of manuals became almost non-existent on Sony and Microsoft consoles during the mid-late 7th gen and early 8th gen. There were plenty of AA games, niche games or indie games with physical copies that have full color manuals. A lot of games on the 3DS, though not all, have full color manuals. I am not just talking about the 1st party games on that title either. Killer Is Dead (360, PS3, and later ported to PC) and Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (PS4) have full color manuals, regardless if you got the standard or special editions w/bonuses. Then again both are niche games. Though KID is a niche AAA title. Many games on the Switch have either a small manual or the reversible covers.
Started getting mostly digital outside of collector’s editions of some games on PS4. The last PC game I bought physical was I think the Konami Collection that had the early Castlevania games on it. Before that, The Witcher Enhanced Edition was the last that had a thick old school booklet and map. Now the online sales with Steam or GoG are too good to pass up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Started getting mostly digital outside of collector’s editions of some games on PS4. The last PC game I bought physical was I think the Konami Collection that had the early Castlevania games on it. Before that, The Witcher Enhanced Edition was the last that had a thick old school booklet and map. Now the online sales with Steam or GoG are too good to pass up.
I see your point, but I am a physical forever guy. If it's a game I really enjoy, and gets a physical version down the line, or at the start, it's a must buy for me. I want to support good, sensible, developers and publishers.