Wasted characters.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Who are some fictional characters who had the potential to be great,, but for some reason or another, the writers never did enough with them?

I'd have to say Spike from MLP: FiM. He could have been great if the writers explored his origins or gave him wings earlier in the show.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Man I'm trying to think of a specific example, and I'm frustratingly drawing a blank. I KNOW there are tons, because I very often end up identifying with other characters in a show/movie, and wish they had more development.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man I'm trying to think of a specific example, and I'm frustratingly drawing a blank. I KNOW there are tons, because I very often end up identifying with other characters in a show/movie, and wish they had more development.
Here you go. I'll add my examples later.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I'm not sure they count as characters per se, but the Leviathans in Subnautica. Apparently people like think they're scary because of deep water and the fear of the unknown.
I think the problem is I can't separate the game mechanics from the game's atmosphere. What I mean is that the fear of the unknown only applies if you don't know what's going on. Like when I'm in the kelp forest I know there 0 chance a Ghost Leviathan is going to come through the trees at me. I know there is 0 chance of a secret kelp leviathan is going to attack me. The leviathans, for all their aggressive nature, are barely in the game and the locations they are in are incredibly small and the AI isn't allowed to chase you.
Same with the Ghosts in the River, or the Reapers by the Aurora/Gun Island. They're there, and the sound mixing is incredible, but they don't do much. And after I found a PDA where some lady explained a reaper had followed her back to her base and destroyed it, I was all ready for that. But the AI doesn't follow you and barely tracks you even when you're next to it with a thermal blade or scanner. Like the story paints a much scarier and dangerous world than the AI allows for.
And they're all over the promotions and trailers and YouTubers "react" to them, and its just not representational of the game's experience.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Since I'm watching more shitty star wars things today I'll call out Finn in the dumpster fire trilogy. While it could be argued that every character and moment was a wasted one in the new trilogy, Finn stood out as a relatively original concept character in Star Wars - a Storm Trooper who rejects the empire. Unfortunately rather than being portrayed in any serious manner he mostly ran around like jarjar Binks being comic relief and rather than explore his character the best they could do is hint at a possible love relationship with every other on screen character and hint that he might be a Jedi, because everyone might be a Jedi now.

I love star wars..also ..fuck star wars.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Celestia from MLP. She was established as almost god like and she has lived for over a thousand years so we know she knows how to handle things. But after season 3 shes almost totally side lined, granted she didn't get to do much in season 2 or 3 but she almost vanishes from the story till the second to last and last season. They stop even writing her letters once the mane6 get the book. I really wish they played with her being extremely powerful but having more cosmic things to deal with then the more mundane threats that the mane6 dealt with.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Furio Giunta from The Sopranos.
Since I'm watching more shitty star wars things today I'll call out Finn in the dumpster fire trilogy. While it could be argued that every character and moment was a wasted one in the new trilogy, Finn stood out as a relatively original concept character in Star Wars - a Storm Trooper who rejects the empire. Unfortunately rather than being portrayed in any serious manner he mostly ran around like jarjar Binks being comic relief and rather than explore his character the best they could do is hint at a possible love relationship with every other on screen character and hint that he might be a Jedi, because everyone might be a Jedi now.

Pretty much anybody who isn't Rey, Kylo or Han in the new movies is a waste of a character.
Also Happy May the Fourth, consoomers.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I remember hearing Disney specifically gave Finn less and less to do as the movies went on because the Chinese audience hate black people. They hated that a black man was flirting with a white woman, hated that he could use a lightsaber and hated he was a hero and one of the two leads. Disney even specifically changes their posters to have less black in them for the Chinese audience. ck40q74yie841.jpg

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Note that I'm distinguishing between wasted characters and characters who undergo character assassination, even if there'd been overlap:

-Wells Jaha (The 100)

-Nolan (Aliens/Predator)

-Orlund (Andromeda)

-Athena (Battlestar Galactica, original)

-Cally (Blake's 7)

-Betty (Continuum)

-Jace Corso (Dark Matter)

-Evelyn Sharp/Artemis (DC Universe, Arrowverse-specific)

-Any non-saiyan character (Dragon Ball)

-Gilina (Farscape)

-Mark (Fire Emblem)

-Kalista (Firefly, though caveat that I detest the character)

-Alex (Golden Sun)

-Cho Chang (Harry Potter)

-Qhira (Heroes of the Storm)

-Gary Stewart (House of the Dead)

-Rain (Independence Day)

-Paris Carver (James Bond)

-Hakha (Killzone, though Luger is tied)

-Flynn Carson (The Librarians)

-Eodan (Lord of the Rings)

-Ghost (Marvel, MCU continuity)

-Holly (Metal Gear)

-Little Strongheart (My Little Pony)

-Ivy (Once Upon a Time)

-Teleya (The Orville)

-Null Sector's leader (Overwatch)

-Chandra Patel (Perfect Dark)

-Anamaria (Pirates of the Caribbean)

-Scott (Prisoner Zero)

-Art3mis (Ready Player One)

-Rebecca Chambers (Resident Evil, though I'm very tempted to say Jill)

-Shade the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog)

-Elora (Spyro the Dragon)

-Krystal (Star Fox)

-Finn (Star Wars)

-Practically every guest character in Super Smash Brothers

-Med'an (Warcraft)

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'd have to say Spike from MLP: FiM. He could have been great if the writers explored his origins or gave him wings earlier in the show.
Aren't Spike's origins established in season 2 though?

That aside, I kind of disagree. Spike was kind of a punchbag throughout the show, but by the end, he's gone from being Twilight's assistant to being a kind of envoy to the dragons, and he's got the whole 'thing' with Ember, and moves on from his crush on Rarity. He has an arc, at least.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'll call out Finn
Oh fuck yes! I can't believe I forgot about him! I was SO pissed what they didn't do with him and Rose. Not them together specifically, just the two characters.

But yeah, I remember being REALLY psyched about Finn, and in my head canon, the whole crux was going to be that BOTH Finn and Rey were Force sensitive, but Finn wouldn't really be aware of it at first. Which they kind of ultimately did, but not really. What I wanted to see, was for Finn to have an arc, of literally establishing connections. Since his primary character flaw was his fear, and how he was always just looking out to save himself, and then that expanded as the trilogy went on, to him caring about others, to have that expansion of his feeling of connection, be mirrored in his power of the Force. That his empathy was the key to unlocking his power. And his power, wouldn't be 1v1 martial combat (though all Force user who get a saber are at least competent), but that he would be more the Battle Meditation, make everyone around him stronger by him applying his use of the Force type of Jedi. The Jedi Consular to Rey's Jedi Guardian, if you will. And become like a central command hub for the larger war effort. Have a cool scene of him adopting a meditation position, and then show a montage of the various pilots and troops all having a similar reaction (like a glimmer in their eye, or all adopting the same facial head tilt), indicating Finn was linked in with them, boosting their performance. Couple it with more and more people developing Force abilities, perhaps with Finn acting as a catalyst to spark their latent powers. And you can still have Rey having her 1v1 with the BBEG.

But no, they decided to just reduce his plot down to constantly yelling at Rey, and simply just yelling her name. The end.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Basically every character in that show was wasted, since it was cancelled on a cliff hanger without resolving the plot.

The is the big one for me. I really liked a lot of the early characters, but they were just left completely in the dust getting both way too much screen time and too little development.

OT: Buster Scruggs from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It was a series of short stories, but his was the only one that was really any good. His character was so much fun it was really a shame he wasn't in them all.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Basically every character in that show was wasted, since it was cancelled on a cliff hanger without resolving the plot.
If your definition of wasted characters are those who have their series cancelled with a cliffhanger, that's an awful lot of wasted characters.

But I choose Corso specifically because his plotline peters out. For the record, when I say Corso, I'm referring to the actual Corso, not One/Derrick Moss. One being assassinated by Corso isn't necessarily a bad plot point in of itself, but then the 'prime universe' Corso is killed by Two, and the conspiracy around One is forgotten about. Similarly, when the AU-characters cross over into the 'prime universe,' Corso isn't among them. So, not only does the series drop a key plot point, it loses a chance to bring back Corso and do stuff with him (how does the crew feel with the guy wearing the 'face' of their former friend, and the man who killed their friend, even though he's not the same guy?)

Don't know. Probably never will. :(

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Note that I'm distinguishing between wasted characters and characters who undergo character assassination, even if there'd been overlap:

-Wells Jaha (The 100)

-Nolan (Aliens/Predator)

-Orlund (Andromeda)

-Athena (Battlestar Galactica, original)

-Cally (Blake's 7)

-Betty (Continuum)

-Evelyn Sharp/Artemis (DC Universe, Arrowverse-specific)

-Gilina (Farscape)

-Mark (Fire Emblem)

-Kalista (Firefly, though caveat that I detest the character)

-Alex (Golden Sun)

-Cho Chang (Harry Potter)

-Qhira (Heroes of the Storm)

-Gary Stewart (House of the Dead)

-Rain (Independence Day)

-Paris Carver (James Bond)

-Hakha (Killzone, though Luger is tied)

-Flynn Carson (The Librarians)

-Eodan (Lord of the Rings)

-Ghost (Marvel, MCU continuity)

-Holly (Metal Gear)

-Little Strongheart (My Little Pony)

-Ivy (Once Upon a Time)

-Teleya (The Orville)

-Null Sector's leader (Overwatch)

-Chandra Patel (Perfect Dark)

-Anamaria (Pirates of the Caribbean)

-Scott (Prisoner Zero)

-Art3mis (Ready Player One)

-Rebecca Chambers (Resident Evil, though I'm very tempted to say Jill)

-Shade the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog)

-Elora (Spyro the Dragon)

-Krystal (Star Fox)

-Finn (Star Wars)

-Practically every guest character in Super Smash Brothers

-Med'an (Warcraft)
Med’an is only a waste in so much as time was wasted creating him.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
If your definition of wasted characters are those who have their series cancelled with a cliffhanger, that's an awful lot of wasted characters.
I'm just still ticked off they cancelled the show.

I barely remember the Corso plotline, though. All I remember is the show was better without One.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Pretty much all the Wonder Woman characters in Young Justice.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huntress in Birds of Prey. Winstead does a great job making her social awkward super assassin believable and human and she's promptly wasted being a sidekick to the much less interesting Harley Quinn being quirky and zany. #Justice4Huntress #HuntressMovieWhen
Oh, second that.

Though, I think a major problem with Harley Quinn was Margot Robbie's acting, she was so much better in Suicide Squad.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh, second that.

Though, I think a major problem with Harley Quinn was Margot Robbie's acting, she was so much better in Suicide Squad.
The major problem with Harley Quinn is that she’s a fucking villain that for some reason the Hot Topic crowd fell in love with and editors at DC decided she needed a heel face turn to an anti-hero. The major problem with the movie is that the Birds of Prey - Helena Bertaneli in particular - shouldn’t want to piss on Harley Quinn even if she was on fire. They wanted to make Gotham City Sirens and chickened out.

Reactions: Dalisclock