Mini Consoles: Do you have one? Want one?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I just found out my NES Classic was only sold for about a year in the US, sold about a 4 million copies, and if you can find someone selling it, they want about 3 times its initial cost.

ITMT: Amazon is selling the Sega Genesis Mini - Genesis including mega drive games (42 of them) for $49. Some think it the best mini console out there.

The PS1 Classic is now about $40 and was hated initially but now that you can add games? Anyone have it? Your thoughts?

This guy ranks 7 of them:

Your thoughts? And should things like this be a part of this thread?

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I got a Sega Genesis Mini for $25. I plan on getting a Neo Geo mini later. I might get a Turbo Graphics 16 Mini when it comes out around the holidays. I am mainly getting it for some of the Japanese import games.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've got the NES, SNES and Genesis mini's. At some point I'll probably get the Turbographix 16 mini, but not at 100 bucks.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I got a Sega Genesis mini for $25. And I plan on getting a Neo Geo mini later. I might get a turbo graphics 16 mini when it comes out around the holidays. I mainly getting it for some of the Japanese import games.
Amazon has the Sega Genesis mini for $49.99 and I thought that a bargain! Where did you pick up yours at $25? Crazy inexpensive.

$35 used at Gamestop. May do this when / if the lock down ends.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Amazon has the Sega Genesis mini for $49.99 and I thought that a bargain! Where did you pick up yours at $25? Crazy inexpensive.

$35 used at Gamestop. May do this when / if the lock down ends.
I got it from a Disc Replay. I'm not sure if those stores exist outside of Michigan. I traded in some old crappy Sega Genesis games. Mostly license stuff. they had the mini on sale for about 40. The store credit was enough to slice it in half. I also picked up a Model 2 Sega Genesis that came with a 6 button controller.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I have two, but I want neither.

They are cumbersome little devices with too many wires.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I got a SNES mini. I broke it a while back trying to jailbreak it to allow putting other SNES games on it.

You win some, you lose some.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have a switch and animal crossing and the zelda game and I couldn't care less about the thing
Are you still a gamer? Is there another console/desktop you do use a lot?
If I had the Switch, I'd get a pro controller for it and I'm sure I'd get some use out of it.

I got a SNES mini. I broke it a while back trying to jailbreak it to allow putting other SNES games on it.

You win some, you lose some.
Yikes. So it can happen. I watched a youtube about how to add games to it and it looks amazing but the guy warns: YOU CAN BLOW UP YOUR SYSTEM! Maybe I'll give it a try when I'm sick of the thing.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I don't have any since I already own all the real hardware I want, as well as most of the games I want, so I personally don't see any reason to buy them. Except maybe to get those few games I'm interested in that are too expensive to buy legit original copies of, but meh, I already have a closet dedicated solely to storing old consoles and cables. I don't really feel like adding more.

I can appreciate these mini consoles exist tho, if only as a way of letting newer generations play the old classics, or veterans see what they missed out on back in the day, or replay stuff they once had but let go for whatever reason.

Yikes. So it can happen. I watched a youtube about how to add games to it and it looks amazing but the guy warns: YOU CAN BLOW UP YOUR SYSTEM! Maybe I'll give it a try when I'm sick of the thing.
If you want an emulator box with a snazzy UI (which is what all these mini consoles actually are) and you have any gaming ready pc from the last 10 years, you might want to consider installing Retroarch instead. It's a front-end for a multi-system emulator that standard comes with a Playstation XMB clone UI, but this can be customized, as can pretty much everything else. It takes a little more time setting up, but with no risk of bricking your pc. Then just hook it up to a TV.

But the good part comes once you're all ready: the ability to play almost every game from almost every system ever up to the PS2 era, all in one place.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Are you still a gamer? Is there another console/desktop you do use a lot?
If I had the Switch, I'd get a pro controller for it and I'm sure I'd get some use out of it.
I have a PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, DS and a tower gaming PC.
The switch and games was a birthday gift I didn't want or ask for.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I was looking at the Genesis Mini earlier. It has a pretty decent selection of games, although a glaring omission IMO is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, especially since the first two are included, as is Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic Spinball. However, there was a pretty decent spread of genres, so it has some appeal for me. Not buying it from work, though. Not worth $70.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was looking at the Genesis Mini earlier. It has a pretty decent selection of games, although a glaring omission IMO is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, especially since the first two are included, as is Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic Spinball. However, there was a pretty decent spread of genres, so it has some appeal for me. Not buying it from work, though. Not worth $70.
The reason why you won't find Sonic 3 & knuckles on any compilation packs anymore, is due to having songs from Michael Jackson. Sega would have to pay the Jackson estate. I know, it sucks. It's a good thing I got my original cartridges and the Sonic mega collection, which has Sonic 3 & knuckles as an unlockable.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I would get a Gamecube Mini if it comes with Smash Bros. Melee.

My disc of the game is a bit faulty, if I let cinematics play the game crashes to disc error.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
ni have a mini NES and Mini SNES but tbh, i've never actually opened them, and since my Switch let's me play NES and SNES games with wireless NES and SNES controllers, i don't think i ever will open my mini NES an SNES and will just keep them boxed most likely

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
The reason why you won't find Sonic 3 & knuckles on any compilation packs anymore, is due to having songs from Michael Jackson. Sega would have to pay the Jackson estate. I know, it sucks. It's a good thing I got my original cartridges and the Sonic mega collection, which has Sonic 3 & knuckles as an unlockable.
Ah, that's right. Forgot about that. Well, I still own S3&K on my computer, so I'm not all out of luck, and that makes a lot of sense to not pay through the nose for a game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ah, that's right. Forgot about that. Well, I still own S3&K on my computer, so I'm not all out of luck, and that makes a lot of sense to not pay through the nose for a game.
Yep. Also, I have a minor problem with the SG mini selection of games or lack of. For example, Ristar and Alien Soldier are missing, despite being on the recent compilation pack on modern consoles. I'd happily replace the Bean Machine/Puyo Puyo game and Sonic Spinball with those two. They should have added Streets of Rage 1 in the mini for legacy purposes and Revenge of Shinobi.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I have a SNES Classic. It was an impulsive Xmas buy in 2018. Wish Nintendo had put more games in it or, in the interest of artificial scarcity, at least let you pick the ones you want. But I'm not complaining, I got it dirt cheap and it looks cute in the living room.