What are you currently playing?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eagle Eye Mysteries (in London).

Cause digging up an old CD from the 90s with a game that still works you've not played in decades is sorta like getting a new game for free...except apparently it's abandonware anyway and you can play it via browser.

Also, it's one of those things by people in the US but set in the UK, and I've got a weakness for that sort of thing. Unfortunately, they've done some amount of research, so it's not hilariously wrong.

(Huh, didn't realise how old EA is)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Cata wasn't that different control wise but it has a very different atmosphere to it than 1, it's almost like an horror movie.

2 isn't as great as 1 but it has some cool stuff, but they practically removed the ability to steal ship which was one of my favourite thing about 1.

Desert of Kharak is pretty fun if you haven't played it, it's on the ground but honestly that doesn't really change much.
That was one of my favorite bits about 1 that I'm mad they killed in 2. Like, maybe it's possible to Jack a ship with the Marine Frigates but I never managed to make it work. And I had so much fun stealing half the enemy fleet in HW1......

"Hey, Where are you going with my carrier?"
"Sorry, was this your carrier? Mine now. No Backsies"

I got Deserts of Kharak a while back but I haven't tried it yet. Another thing to give a try.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Resident Evil 8: Well. That sure was a thing that happened.

Sorry for vaguebooking, but I enjoyed the part I just played partly because I had no idea it was coming, and I want to keep spoilers to a minimum. 'Something happens', I feel like, isn't much of a spoiler. And I know it kinda makes me a hypocrite, but I'm just taking the best approach I can here.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Took a break from mist echo hunting and realm tear closing to do some raven hunting in God of War. I have eight left and admit to resorting to a YouTube guide on the last few for the sake of time. I’m starting to hear their shrill squawking in my dreams. Then I’ll go back to mist echos to close out Niflheim along with the Valkyrie, then head back to Muspelheim for its Valkyrie, then finally take on the queen herself which should net me the platinum when all is said and done.

*edit*. On second thought, I also have some treasure hunting to do, which should be fun. I’ll probably save that for last.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played the Capcom Belt Scrolling Action (the Japanese version of the Beat Em Up Bundle) on my Switch. The import I bought last week. The game works great. I played Final Fight and Battle Circuit. It's amazing how many beat them up seven proved on Final Fight's formula. In the original game, there are no back attacks, you can't throw weapons except knives, there are only three weapons (four if you count the molotov cocktail wielding Hollywood's), and only one enemy type and one boss can pick up weapons. Streets of Rage and many other beat em ups will improve upon this formula. Even with Capcom's later beat em ups, for whatever reason they were too stubborn and add a back attack and they're later brawlers. Alien versus Predator (not in the collection by the way) and Battle Circuit at least have the juggle system and air combos. Not to mention, most of their final fight style brawlers had running and dashing. Battle Circuit also allows you to pick up enemies and bosses off the ground and throw them again for additional damage

The weakest game out of the collection is King Of Dragons. It's too simplistic and it's more fun when you have at least two other players with you

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Resident Evil 8: Well. That sure was a thing that happened.

Sorry for vaguebooking, but I enjoyed the part I just played partly because I had no idea it was coming, and I want to keep spoilers to a minimum. 'Something happens', I feel like, isn't much of a spoiler. And I know it kinda makes me a hypocrite, but I'm just taking the best approach I can here.
Is it the Dollhouse?

I don't even know what that really is other then apparently it's quite Scary and I've been hearing PT/Silent Hills tossed around a lot lately in conjunction with it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Been having a Star Wars itch lately, so I decided to load up Fallen Order again.

I love BD-1. Just, so, so much. He's probably my favorite droid from the entire franchise. Everything from his design, his movement, the way he is a total badass little dude that got some awesome moments to shine throughout the story, and, the surprising amount of depth and significance he has to the overall story. I like how Cal will just banter with him from time to time, including asking him if he knows any jokes.

Game is still enjoyable now as it was before. Now that I'm playing it on NG+ I can just skip a lot of the side rewards, as I've already claimed them. Which, if anything is probably my biggest gripe with this game. The majority of "stuff" you get, is cosmetics. Either for you, BD-1, or the ship. And while I totally appreciate they didn't carve this stuff out and try and sell it as DLC (seriously, thank you), it does make a lot of the exploration and side-pathing ultimately uneventful. "oh boy....ANOTHER poncho color scheme....yay?" The only loot that is actually helpful, are the Secret items, that give you extra health and force if you get 3/3 of them, and the extra stims for BD-1. But that's maybe 10% of the various chests you will find scattered about. So, yeah, conflicted on this. I like that they're in there, for the people who want all that wardrobe/dressup stuff. Don't like that they are just about the only thing there.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It also strikes me as kinda cruel to anybody who's tone deaf or just doesn't have very good hearing. If the whole game were based on the concept from the start then whatever, but this one portion of the game seems weirdly exclusionary. Same with the area involving different/overlapping color filters, with variations so subtle that color-blind people would be physically unable to play through them. A friend of mine is color blind and can't even play Uno without second-guessing every other card, I can't imagine him going through the flower bunker in Witness.
*Insert obligatory "every game doesn't need to be for everyone" comment.* Oh, that's not applicable here? I'll show myself out...

That might not be fair, but given how many threads we've railed at each other (in general, not you and I @Johnny Novgorod )over the necessitation of, or offensive/inoffensive nature of, difficulty modes in certain games, just felt fitting.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
*Insert obligatory "every game doesn't need to be for everyone" comment.* Oh, that's not applicable here? I'll show myself out...

That might not be fair, but given how many threads we've railed at each other (in general, not you and I @Johnny Novgorod )over the necessitation of, or offensive/inoffensive nature of, difficulty modes in certain games, just felt fitting.
I've never really had a problem with games being "too inclusive or too exclusive", but to have a game that's 99% one thing and then 1% something else you may not even be physically able to do - being color-blind or tone-deaf has nothing to do with skill or practice - just seems unfair. It'd be like signing up for chess and then 3/4 of the way it transforms into arm wrestling.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've never really had a problem with games being "too inclusive or too exclusive", but to have a game that's 99% one thing and then 1% something else you may not even be physically able to do - being color-blind or tone-deaf has nothing to do with skill or practice - just seems unfair. It'd be like signing up for chess and then 3/4 of the way it transforms into arm wrestling.
It's probably not tooooo big of an issue considering it's a puzzle game and you can just look up the answers to the puzzles you aren't able to solve.

Though I don't want to seem like I'm defending the Witness. Some of the puzzle solutions are really quite awful.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It also strikes me as kinda cruel to anybody who's tone deaf or just doesn't have very good hearing. If the whole game were based on the concept from the start then whatever, but this one portion of the game seems weirdly exclusionary. Same with the area involving different/overlapping color filters, with variations so subtle that color-blind people would be physically unable to play through them. A friend of mine is color blind and can't even play Uno without second-guessing every other card, I can't imagine him going through the flower bunker in Witness.
I didn't even bother trying to figure this out. I just googled it. It was so different from the rest of the game. Ain't nobody got time for that

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Just finished a replay of Titanfall 2's campaign.

Its short and sweet. Effect and Cause is still a cracking mission, and the last level that lets you loose with the Smart-Pistol is great for just decompressing.

Yeah, its a good time.

Otherwise, onto Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Im excited to play Mass Effect 1 again, because it stands to be the only game out of the trilogy that I have only played through once. I've tried to play it since, but I only get so far into a new playthrough, before I decide that I just cannot stomach the gameplay, so I end up downloading a save from somewhere, and jumping straight into ME2. Im so happy that they went back and tweaked it for the rerelease, because I do want to be able to replay the full trilogy.

Im excited to see how it goes.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Resident Evil 8: Approaching what might or might not be the final area. It's certainly giving off 'final area' vibes, but it's also possible that this is just an antechamber to the actual final area. I won't know until next time I boot up.

Game's been fantastic so far, I just hope it can keep that energy up across the finish line.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Resident Evil 8: Approaching what might or might not be the final area. It's certainly giving off 'final area' vibes, but it's also possible that this is just an antechamber to the actual final area. I won't know until next time I boot up.

Game's been fantastic so far, I just hope it can keep that energy up across the finish line.
Are you at Heisenberg's factory? It's basically the next to last area.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Bug Fables. You want old Paper Mario, but Nintendo not giving it to you? Here's the next best thing. It looks and sounds the part, it uses a similar style of narrative, and has the same kind of gameplay right down to the battle system. It definitely, obviously even, wears its inspiration on its sleeve, in a good way. But there is one thing I have noticed quite quickly, even tho I'm only about 1-2 hours in: it does not have Nintendo levels of polish and there are some questionable design choices. Like, you know how in Paper Mario you have to press a button at the right time during attack for extra damage. This game does that too, and it works fine enough, except for the party member where it's a random face button. How some enemies in the starting dungeon became effectively unkillable if a certain party member goes down. Still, it's early game, maybe things will come together better later on when my options will have expanded.

Are you at Heisenberg's factory? It's basically the next to last area.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bug Fables. You want old Paper Mario, but Nintendo not giving it to you? Here's the next best thing. It looks and sounds the part, it uses a similar style of narrative, and has the same kind of gameplay right down to the battle system. It definitely, obviously even, wears its inspiration on its sleeve, in a good way. But there is one thing I have noticed quite quickly, even tho I'm only about 1-2 hours in: it does not have Nintendo levels of polish and there are some questionable design choices. Like, you know how in Paper Mario you have to press a button at the right time during attack for extra damage. This game does that too, and it works fine enough, except for the party member where it's a random face button. How some enemies in the starting dungeon became effectively unkillable if a certain party member goes down. Still, it's early game, maybe things will come together better later on when my options will have expanded.

Funny enough, I've never watched Breaking Bad once.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Finished Jedi: Fallen Order NG+ today. It's much quicker when you aren't worrying about 90% of the chests, as they are ones you've already obtained. Still a solid, fun game. I hope 2nd Sister pulls a standard "You thought I was dead!" from the Star Wars franchise, and survives to return. I liked her a lot. Really cool look, I liked the actress playing her. Plus it would be nice to see her survive and have a chance to try and redeem herself. perhaps as a playable character. at the end, she seems to have let go of her anger for her master...and then is summarily cut down.

Playing a lot more Hardspace: Shipbreaker. I'm now familiar enough with the Mackerel hull variations, that I can reliably break them entirely, in a single shift, probably 60-70% of the time. I'm now trying to tackle the Javelin, which is a tricky one. Made of denser stuff, completely different setup of components and systems. Have to figure out entirely different tactics. Still stumbling through it, taking 4-5 shifts just to fully break it. Though I'm getting a bit better at prioritizing what to cut first to give myself the most efficient route through the hull.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finished Jedi: Fallen Order NG+ today. It's much quicker when you aren't worrying about 90% of the chests, as they are ones you've already obtained. Still a solid, fun game. I hope 2nd Sister pulls a standard "You thought I was dead!" from the Star Wars franchise, and survives to return. I liked her a lot. Really cool look, I liked the actress playing her. Plus it would be nice to see her survive and have a chance to try and redeem herself. perhaps as a playable character. at the end, she seems to have let go of her anger for her master...and then is summarily cut down.
Glad you enjoyed Fallen Order. I could not even bother to finish the game, I got bored at a 1/4 way in to the game. Like I said before, Dark Souls style games have no appeal to me, and I rather they'd did a God of War (I-III) format similar to The Force Unleashed series.

The Contra Collection and Castlevania Collection. I'm already liking the Contra Collection more. I've always been a bigger Contra fan than Castlevania fan, so it's a given. Though for some weird reason, you don't get the Japanese version of Hard Corps. The Japanese version is easier, yet we get the censored European version where everyone are robots. If you have the Sega Genesis Mini, then it's a non issue, but a dumb decision. The Castlevania Collection has none of the Japanese version of the games with the exception of the NES Kid Dracula. But that does not count as it never came Westward, aside from the Game Boy version. They could have easily gotten the Japanese versions of each game. Castlevania III needed it the most due to how difficult it is compared to the Japanese counterpart. I plan on getting the physical version of Castlevania Collection with the extra physical goodies, but I got to decide which versions. I might get both, but use different cards to pay for them.

EDIT: Big screw up on my part. If you scroll down to the JP Bonus sections in each collection, you get to play the Japanese versions of each game, so you can disregard nearly everything I just said.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Glad you enjoyed Fallen Order. I could not even bother to finish the game, I got bored at a 1/4 way in to the game. Like I said before, Dark Souls style games have no appeal to me, and I rather they'd did a God of War (I-III) format similar to The Force Unleashed series.
Yeah I was just telling my wife I wish they did more Force Unleashed. I don't even care if it's that character and storyline, in fact it's unlikely they would, since that de-canonized. But the mechanics were super fun.

I'm not a super fan of Souls combat either, but I have gotten better at it with a handful of games. I still find the basic setup of most of them very dull, entirely built around just fighting shit because the devs dare you to beat them, you little girly man cuck simp. *voice of those 2 austrian weight lifters from SNL*

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not a super fan of Souls combat either, but I have gotten better at it with a handful of games. I still find the basic setup of most of them very dull, entirely built around just fighting shit because the devs dare you to beat them, you little girly man cuck simp. *voice of those 2 Austrian weight lifters from SNL*
Well it's a good thing that Souls clones are finally dying down......

So instead, here comes the mediocre God of War 4 clones!

......uh, yay?