Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Terminator 1 was pretty bad and I don't understand how that, out of all the 80s movies, spawned a franchise... Actually, it doesn't suprise me. They franchised Missing in Action ffs
Women loved the romance. That is how it became a box office success. James Cameron and the film studio never saw it coming. They weren't expecting so many women to love the movie.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Look can't go with you on Iran Man 2 but Thor 2? Yep. Cap 2? How was this movie so good after the utter disaster of the first one? Gotg 2? Same level... so give that a win
Counter hot take: Captain America the First Avenger is one of the best WWII pulpy, two fisted tales movies since The Rocketeer. And a damn good movie.

In fact, Captain America has the most consistently good trilogy of the original three Avengers.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Counter hot take: Captain America the First Avenger is one of the best WWII pulpy, two fisted tales movies since The Rocketeer. And a damn good movie.
This makes me want to vomit. Mainly for the WW2 pulpiness

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
The whole thing with Ripley's dead daughter and having that be the connection she has to Newt. It takes away from what the sequel was initially about; Ripley healing from the trauma she suffered in the first movie. And doing so by helping a child who has suffered through the same. That was their connection, not Ripley having lost a daughter and Newt having lost her parents. We don't even know about Ripley's daughter till we hear she died, so why should we care? We don't know Ripley as a mother, we know her as the person who survived the Alien encounter from the first movie. That is our emotional connection to her.

Then there's the really, really bad scene that shows it's Newt's parents conveniently being the ones who got sent to the derelict ship, along with Newt. We also get to see the colony before the attack, which takes away the mystery and cuts the audience off from the perspective of Ripley and the marines who are going in blind. In the theatrical version we go in as blind as them and it adds to the tension.

There's the turrent scene which might have some effect if you've never seen the theatrical version, but if you have it has zero tension because you know the aliens don't make it in until later.

Also, having a slow pan through the Sulaco at the start of the movie feels like pointless padding. I know it's supposed to reference the first movie, but unlike that movie we barely spend any time on the Sulaco after we're introduced to the marines, and none of the tension takes place there until the very end. The first movie takes its time to let the audience familiarize themselves a bit with the Nostromo where most of the movie will take place, as well as its claustrophobic atmosthere, before introducing us to the characters. There is no need for that in Aliens and the theatrical version appropriately just cuts straight to the freezers as the marines wake up.
Ripley lost about 60 years of her life, and that loss needed to be represented in the movie. It would be a bit odd if there were no consequences for spending so much time in cryosleep.

I wouldn't say the scenes with the colonists takes away from the mystery, because it's fairly obvious they're all going to be dead. It does contribute to the sense of dread though, by showing the colony isn't just an empty set for the marines to fight aliens, but was a home for a bunch of families, with people busy at work and children playing underfoot. With that established, there's more of an emotional impact when the marines arrive and find the base deserted and wrecked.

Incidentally, that reminds of Alien: River of Pain which reveals there were a bunch of colonial marines already at the colony when everything went down. It's pretty bad.

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
I'll say that I think the Japanese New Wave is better than the French New Wave.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ripley lost about 60 years of her life, and that loss needed to be represented in the movie. It would be a bit odd if there were no consequences for spending so much time in cryosleep.
Except it's not used to represent loss of a life she once had, it's used to represent loss of a person she loved that we were never aware of, and then as a way to create a connection between her and Newt (which there already was, and one that was in line with the first movie). The whole 57 year time skip never gets much exploration even in the theatrical version, because there's simply not enough time since the movie needs to get to the Aliens. It seems the only reason this was written in was to give an idea of how minute the chance was that Ripley even got picked up by a deep salvage team.

I wouldn't say the scenes with the colonists takes away from the mystery, because it's fairly obvious they're all going to be dead. It does contribute to the sense of dread though, by showing the colony isn't just an empty set for the marines to fight aliens, but was a home for a bunch of families, with people busy at work and children playing underfoot. With that established, there's more of an emotional impact when the marines arrive and find the base deserted and wrecked.
And it's unnecessary.

At the end of Ripley's hearing when she asks how many colonists there are and is given the answer '60 maybe 70 families', the audience's mind recalling the events of the first movie paints a perfect picture of the tragedy. Just that idea 'Aliens coming for families' is enough, none of those families need to be shown beforehand. Showing one scene of people (who we don't know or get to know at all) being there before the attacks does as much to create an emotional impact as telling us people are there. Except the latter takes up less time and allows the viewer's mind to fill in the blanks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Loud House is one of the worst shows from the 2010s. A lot of Lincoln's sisters are unlikable, oblivious to his suffering, or just straight up jackasses. Especially Lynn Loud Jr. I know they attempted to fix this for the third season, but too little too late for me.
  • Regular Show is not that good. How it got that popular is beyond me, but considering you don't see people talk much about it anymore....
  • Suyin Beifong is the worst written character in the entire Avatar: Last Airbender franchise.
  • I find nothing special about Breaking Bad.
  • Attack on Titan is over hyped. I could not stay invested after the first season.
  • James Cameron's Avatar (2009) is not good. Princess Mononoke did it way better. Hell, FernGully I find better than Avatar (2009).

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
An old one I had in the old server. And something that @Johnny Novgorod is familiar.

Jaws would be better if instead of a Shark, its a
Monstrous Tentacled Abomination.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Punk rock is shit. Well, mostly shit. I don't discount the impact and legacy of punk but it's kind of embarrassing the way people still cling to the idea of punk in spite of over 40 years of experimentation with more interesting punk derived genres. Punk is very, very creatively safe but it still gets held up as a standard of nonconformism, because anything more outlandish is deemed inaccessible.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Punk rock is shit. Well, mostly shit. I don't discount the impact and legacy of punk but it's kind of embarrassing the way people still cling to the idea of punk in spite of over 40 years of experimentation with more interesting punk derived genres. Punk is very, very creatively safe but it still gets held up as a standard of nonconformism, because anything more outlandish is deemed inaccessible.
Well, Punk Rock partly helped create Thrash Metal.

Without them Metallica would have been just Diamond Head Clone without the Edge and Aggression of Punk.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Attack on Titan is overhyped. I could not stay invested after the first season.
Yeah, they kept dragging things out with lots of waffle.

Kept hoping they explain how they built the concentric 100m high walls around an entire country. If you can do that as a response to Titans attacking, the Titans aren't actually a threat.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Wonderwoman 1984 was mindbogglingly bizarre and bad. How that got out of the editing room is beyond me. Ive heard claims the director was given complete freedom and Ive also heard there were extensive rewrites and reshoots to try and clean it up. I'm really looking forward to someone with access to the production picking it apart.
WW 1984 was close to being good. A few tweaks might have got it there. But WW raping a stranger and flying WW really ruined it for me
The ol' opposing takes on a hot take thread. Though the hottest take would be to call that movie good.

Also, why do people get stuck with the dreamstone bringing Steve back in that unconventional way? It makes totally impossible things come true. From the point onward that wish was made Handsome Man became Steve Trevor. That's it. No issues of consent or these hilarious rape takes. Maybe that's the hot take: people making it "problematic" (including the online journalists) are brainless. Or pick and choose when to put it working at the very least.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The ol' opposing takes on a hot take thread. Though the hottest take would be to call that movie good.

Also, why do people get stuck with the dreamstone bringing Steve back in that unconventional way? It makes totally impossible things come true. From the point onward that wish was made Handsome Man became Steve Trevor. That's it. No issues of consent or these hilarious rape takes. Maybe that's the hot take: people making it "problematic" (including the online journalists) are brainless. Or pick and choose when to put it working at the very least.
I think most of the Steve stuff was the best part of the movie. The way it end was perfect. Just... don't show handsome man in the mirror because it brings up questions

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Oh, sorry for this to be Star Wars again but...

KOTOR 2 would have been hated if it was brought out today

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh, sorry for this to be Star Wars again but...

KOTOR 2 would have been hated if it was brought out today
Mostly because it'd look to be a Mass Effect knock-off attempting to capitalize on an iconic IP.