Beta Feedback Thread

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'm really getting sick of these mystery post limits. Is it a character count? Do images count towards some limit? Colors? Quotes? A combination? Nobody knows!

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
There's something a bit screwy going on with the embedding functions. In trying to embed a gif in my post via the url functionality, I found that while the image would appear in my in-process post, if I tried to actually post it or hit the preview button I'd get the vague explanation from the forums that "something went wrong".

I experimented a bit while making this post, and seem to have figured out how to replicate it. For whatever reason, a draft with an embedded gif becomes unpostable when the post also contains an embedded quote and an embedded smiley (not the text, the picture that replaces it). Curiously, this issue can be bypassed by changing the smiley back to text format.

Last edited:
Reactions: Houseman

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
There's something a bit screwy going on with the embedding functions. In trying to embed a gif in my post via the url functionality, I found that while the image would appear in my in-process post, if I tried to actually post it or hit the preview button I'd get the vague explanation from the forums that "something went wrong".

I experimented a bit while making this post, and seem to have figured out how to replicate it. For whatever reason, a draft with an embedded gif becomes unpostable when the post also contains an embedded quote and an embedded smiley (not the text, the picture that replaces it). Curiously, this issue can be bypassed by changing the smiley back to text format.
Bit late reply, but I find that if you want to get fancy with formatting and embedding, it's usually better to write out the bb tags for it in full. Especially if you're combining stuff, like bolding a link that's inside a spoiler, or somesuch. Oh, and embedding smileys pretty much doesn't work any other way than writing bb code. As for posting gifs, make sure the url you're using is the actual image location. You want an url that ends in a file name, for example imagesite.com/myimage/image.png or something.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Please raise the limit for embedded images by url from 3. It's absurdly low and it's not getting any less annoying with time.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
please actually put up the discussion threads for Slightly Something Else, Zero Punctuation, etc in a timely manner, where are we expected to discuss these when they launch?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
please actually put up the discussion threads for Slightly Something Else, Zero Punctuation, etc in a timely manner, where are we expected to discuss these when they launch?
Couldn't you create a topic in off topic if you want to discuss it? It's an open forum, you can create threads.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I've updated permissions so that users can now post threads in those forums. I was going to do it, but I'm just too busy to make a new thread each time.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Has anyone ever figured out what causes the "You must be logged in to post a comment.", where there's no Disqus thing at the bottom of articles on the main site, but that aforementioned prompt that take you to a Wordpress login? Seems to randomly happen, and it's kind of annoying. Been a fair few times where I wanted to comment, but couldn't.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Screenshot_20210426-124224.png
I don't know if this is an oopsy or bad wording but he says to feel free to ask questions in the thread but you can't reply to the thread.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
View attachment 3675
I don't know if this is an oopsy or bad wording but he says to feel free to ask questions in the thread but you can't reply to the thread.
I wonder why they are doing this? They might as well just leave it where it is and not risk breaking the formatting. It's not like we need access to old threads on the new forum anyway.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I wonder why they are doing this? They might as well just leave it where it is and not risk breaking the formatting. It's not like we need access to old threads on the new forum anyway.
No kidding. I appreciate keeping it for legacy purposes. However, I feel like it's kinda nice that we don't have this forum filled with the old stuff. The old stuff isn't relevant anymore. Granted, I think I was asking for it to be carried over, and now here I am saying it's not a big deal any more. But I guess enough time has passed that I kinda stopped caring so much. I wouldn't mind seeing this be a statement made to the forum with opinions being gathered. Though it won't matter if this is the plan no matter what we say

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
We need to sunlight V1 and get all traffic redirected to V2 for SEO purposes. It's been causing us problems since the relaunch.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
@Nick Calandra V1 archives are kind of messed up. Every post is #1 and trying to go to any other page in a thread always redirects to page 1.

Also, I can't help notice that archived posts are able to have more than 3 images linked in a post. It'd be really nice if that were possible on the new forums. Maybe like, a limit of 10. It doesn't do anything except make things more convenient, because if I have 7 images to post, it just means I would need to make 3 posts in a row instead of 1.

Death916

Apr 21, 2008
What happened to all the badges and cool stuff that was on ancient profiles

Randomly decided to come back and check things out here today and wow hahah

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now I can't look at my own profile posts. It's asking for account upgrade, and when I click on that, it gives me the oops, page not found message.