How many bookmarks do you have?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Apparently I have 630 bookmarks, some dating back over 10 years. It's just this massive unsorted list of pages that I've thought "ok, yeah, I'll continue looking at this some other time" and then never have. I don't even have any idea what some of these things are, or why I bookmarked them. Why did I bookmark the wikipedia page for a game called Magus? What even is that? Or something called the Roanoke Colony.

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It's just this massive unsorted list of pages that I've thought "ok, yeah, I'll continue looking at this some other time" and then never have.
This is basically me.

I occasionally add a bookmark to the list, but I never actually open anything from my bookmarks or look at them.

If I want to revisit a site I'll either remember the site and do it "manually", or I'll forget and not care about the "loss".

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
About 50. Most of them are stores and hobby related stuff

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Why did I bookmark the wikipedia page for a game called Magus? What even is that? Or something called the Roanoke Colony.
Magus, I don't know. Roanoke Colony, a mass disappearance of an entire colony in what would be... (Virginia, or so... I'd have to look it up to remember I guess.) Whatever, point being it could have been the first English settlement in North America. But the colonists just up and vanished instead. Fascinating if you are interested in historical mysteries. Like how someone could accumulate over 500 page bookmarks in a browser.

To answer the question, my home computer... none. The pages the browser has bookmarked as default are my only bookmarks. If I can't remember a URL, it obviously wasn't important enough for me to care. And If I need to find something again... I'm at a computer. Google will find anything I can't.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
More than I need. Maybe I'll one day want to watch a youtube channel full of videos about electrical engineering, but not today, so better bookmark it. Most stuff I actually visit I remember and thus don't have to bookmark.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
About 15 total. Sometimes I have more, but they're in the bookmarks until I no longer need them or the activity I am doing is finished with.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
411, though I only clear them occasionally and almost never go back to look at them. TBH it's easier to just google the thing again.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Going to show my age here: read the thread title and thought it was in reference to physical place holders used in books. Then, reading totals in your responses, I wondered why anyone would have so many bookmarks; is there some weird literary fetish I'm unaware of? Then it hit me what you all were actually talking about.

That said, I don't have any. I frequent so few internet sites, I just start typing their addresses in the browser and they pop up. Most of my online activity is done from my phone.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Bookmarks? I got all the bookmarks you need, fam. Get the best right here!

If digital though, well it's only a new-ish phone I use, and looking at the list now it's quite clear I should stop adding them since they've never been used or even thought about the second after saving any. Speed dial option is easier, less menus of resistance to pass through

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Magus, I don't know. Roanoke Colony, a mass disappearance of an entire colony in what would be... (Virginia, or so... I'd have to look it up to remember I guess.) Whatever, point being it could have been the first English settlement in North America. But the colonists just up and vanished instead. Fascinating if you are interested in historical mysteries. Like how someone could accumulate over 500 page bookmarks in a browser.
Hmm, that does sound interesting. I'll have to actually open that bookmark and read the page... some other day.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If digital though, well it's only a new-ish phone I use, and looking at the list now it's quite clear I should stop adding them since they've never been used or even thought about the second after saving any. Speed dial option is easier, less menus of resistance to pass through
That's precisely why I don't use them. I guess I do have a few, but none that I've used to merit their convenience. I find it's easier to just Google anew what I'm looking for than trying to navigate my phone's UI to find the few bookmarks I thought I might need. Example: there's a restaurant an Uber driver suggested to me and my gf over a year ago; I bookmarked it, and we both promptly forgot about it. It's still "bookmarked" in my phone, and I don't even know what kind of cuisine it is, but I was apparently arsed enough during our ride to save it.

Bookmarks to me are like coupons: yeah, I'll save them with the complete intention of using them, but they'll ultimately amount to clutter, expire and get tossed. (Yeah, I'm that asshole who walks into "Bed Bath and Beyond" and pays full price because I couldn't be bothered to remember the 25% off coupons they've been stuffing in every US mailbox for decades. The look of shock on both clerks' and fellow customers' when I announce I DON'T have the coupon is classic.) Meanwhile I can't find my passport or social security card, y'know, stuff that actually matters. (Idiocracy was less a comedy and more a prophecy.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's precisely why I don't use them. I guess I do have a few, but none that I've used to merit their convenience. I find it's easier to just Google anew what I'm looking for than trying to navigate my phone's UI to find the few bookmarks I thought I might need. Example: there's a restaurant an Uber driver suggested to me and my gf over a year ago; I bookmarked it, and we both promptly forgot about it. It's still "bookmarked" in my phone, and I don't even know what kind of cuisine it is, but I was apparently arsed enough during our ride to save it.

Bookmarks to me are like coupons: yeah, I'll save them with the complete intention of using them, but they'll ultimately amount to clutter, expire and get tossed. (Yeah, I'm that asshole who walks into "Bed Bath and Beyond" and pays full price because I couldn't be bothered to remember the 25% off coupons they've been stuffing in every US mailbox for decades. The look of shock on both clerks' and fellow customers' when I announce I DON'T have the coupon is classic.) Meanwhile I can't find my passport or social security card, y'know, stuff that actually matters. (Idiocracy was less a comedy and more a prophecy.)
The reason why the Bed Bath & Beyond customers and employees are shocked because the coupons never expire. There is an expiration date, but you can still use them after the fact. I used to work at a Bed Bath & Beyond so that's why I know. Shoot, I've met customers that had coupons going all the way back to the early 90s and they put them in a binder. Usually women, but sometimes guys too.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The reason why the Bed Bath & Beyond customers and employees are shocked because the coupons never expire. There is an expiration date, but you can still use them after the fact. I used to work at a Bed Bath & Beyond so that's why I know. Shoot, I've met customers that had coupons going all the way back to the early 90s and they put them in a binder. Usually women, but sometimes guys too.
Yeah, there's been a few times when I've gone in and they've given me a coupon at the register because they couldn't believe I didn't bring one. Everything is probably priced at 25% more than what it's worth.

I work in retail; I know "sales" are typically events to make a profit under the illusion of the customers getting a deal on things overpriced from the get-go i.e.: a pair of pants "normally priced at $40 nets you a nice margin in profit, but they go on sale for $35... which is still a nice margin considering they were purchased from the supplier for $9.

Reactions: BrawlMan

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
H--

How?

I have 15.

Even then, some of those could probably stand to be purged.
Haha. About half of mine are random gifs or memes, which can be tricky to find with Google if they aren't widespread. I have also found that favouriting subreddit names is a good way of ensuring they appear quickly when I start to type the name in my phone's search bar, saving me from having to type the rest. But mostly, they just sit in folders and moulder away.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Nowhere as many as you lot, but I have some weird old ones. Some obscure Japanese clothing websites for back when I used to draw a bunch, and I'd look at some of these for inspiration. A few webcomics I no longer read. A few random imgur links to some infographics I think are useful.

No more than a hundred though.

I tend to be able to 'rediscover' important things, though not always. So I haven't been in a habit of bookmarking much stuff at all.

If I could retrieve my bookmarks from before my Google Account and Chrome days, then I'd probably have a lot more. But those IE/Firefox/Netscape bookmarks have been lost in between new computers and time itself.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
None, I've been marking my book with the manual from my keyboard.

Oh...you mean browser bookmarks...

Not that many actually, I clear out my bookmarks every time I build a new PC.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Haha. About half of mine are random gifs or memes, which can be tricky to find with Google if they aren't widespread. I have also found that favouriting subreddit names is a good way of ensuring they appear quickly when I start to type the name in my phone's search bar, saving me from having to type the rest. But mostly, they just sit in folders and moulder away.
Most of those gifs or images you could save on your hard drive. The majority of them probably won't even cost you that much space.