Nvidia RTX 30XX series thread: 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti paper launch on June 3rd

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The thing is, as consoles have approached PCs in technical parity, they've also approached PCs in operational parity- the XBox and Playstation are basically cut-down multimedia PCs at this point, with many of the same downsides PC gamers have been dealing with for decades. Nintendo is basically the last bastion of "just put a cartridge in and have fun" old-school console sensibilities.
I guess in theory. The Playstation 4 definitely had an installing problem, though it wasn't much more different than having to download and install on PC. The biggest issue was the system didn't have a good Wifi card to keep the speed up.

This problem is solved really on the PS5. I put the discs for the Mass Effect Legendary Edition into the Ps5 and it installed the 98GB game in about 20 minutes and allowed me to play FF14 while i waited. I don't have an Xbox Series X to determine if that system also is just as fast with the install, but then again the Xbox doesn't have any games you'd need to install off a disc so I guess it doesn't matter :).

Either way I'm sure the Xbox is fine and it's just another reason why this console generation is a bigger step up than people give it credit for. Graphics are only ever going to be able to get so good. And the real generational steps are going to be on the performance side. I hope PC SSD's will start to support the incredible loading speed from the PS5 because even my gaming PC that is technically more powerful than the PS5 by a decent margin still, does not load nearly as fast off the SSD at the PS5 does. The load times freak me out sometimes because they are stupidly fast.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Okay so, shocking nobody, my preferred vendor for PC parts - PC Case Gear - has sold out of all its 3080Ti stock in about 24 hours. And most bitterly of pills, it’s costing about the same as the 3090. Which by this point I’d buy over the 3080Ti if only for the RAM overhead. Their price and power requirements are about the same so why the fuck not right :p

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Okay so, shocking nobody, my preferred vendor for PC parts - PC Case Gear - has sold out of all its 3080Ti stock in about 24 hours. And most bitterly of pills, it’s costing about the same as the 3090. Which by this point I’d buy over the 3080Ti if only for the RAM overhead. Their price and power requirements are about the same so why the fuck not right :p
Yes, same around here, tho there's still a few stragglers for sale here and there. Tho on a slightly more positive note, availability of all the other cards is a smidge better. Still horribly price gouged, if a little less than last months, but you can buy one, if you really really don't have any self-respect.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes, same around here, tho there's still a few stragglers for sale here and there. Tho on a slightly more positive note, availability of all the other cards is a smidge better. Still horribly price gouged, if a little less than last months, but you can buy one, if you really really don't have any self-respect.
Currently in Aussie Dolleridoos there's about $500 difference in the 3080Ti's favour between the ROG STRIX 3090 and 3080Ti (ROG is a premium badge so that's $4000 and $3500). And what's weird is that if I did have more money the brains I could see myself justifying that extra $500 for double the ram for only what, an eighth extra on price?

Honestly the 30XX series may well be a fucking write off at this point; the memory allocation has been bizarre across all models and supply issues causing pricing to go insane has not helped. And I know what you're thinking: just go AMD. But, no. I never will again. After all the fucking driver hassle they gave me for almost every time I used one of their cards? Fuck off. I'm not going through that bullshit again.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Currently in Aussie Dolleridoos there's about $500 difference in the 3080Ti's favour between the ROG STRIX 3090 and 3080Ti (ROG is a premium badge so that's $4000 and $3500). And what's weird is that if I did have more money the brains I could see myself justifying that extra $500 for double the ram for only what, an eighth extra on price?
My turn. Rog strix oc 3090: €2999 (4716 aus) vs Rog strix oc 3080 ti: €2799 (4402 aus)
Honestly the 30XX series may well be a fucking write off at this point; the memory allocation has been bizarre across all models and supply issues causing pricing to go insane has not helped. And I know what you're thinking: just go AMD. But, no. I never will again. After all the fucking driver hassle they gave me for almost every time I used one of their cards? Fuck off. I'm not going through that bullshit again.
Myeah, and it's not like AMD cards all that great a value proposition right now either.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Genuinely curious what you mean about the driver hassle of AMD. I'm currently using a 5700XT and haven't encountered any driver issues in the over a year that I've had it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Genuinely curious what you mean about the driver hassle of AMD. I'm currently using a 5700XT and haven't encountered any driver issues in the over a year that I've had it.
I had very constant driver crashes with Radeon cards that would require a reboot to fix. And getting rid of the drivers to do clean installs always gave me grief and some games - notably OG Mass Effect - did weird shit on ATI cards. NVidia might be run as a real life contemporary of OCP but their video cards have never given me any of those issues.

It’s a shame really because I’ve had (and currently have) AMD as my CPU and those have been bullet proof. In fact I am reliably informed my AMD64 3700+ based machine I gave to an elderly neighbour is still running.

And even if the AMD drivers didn’t make me gun shy, it’s not like I can buy their cards either.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Some videos on the 3070 Ti with benchmarks and such

Anyway, I feel it now safe to conclude neither of the two new cards are good buys that you can't make anyway.

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Some videos on the 3070 Ti with benchmarks and such

Anyway, I feel it now safe to conclude neither of the two new cards are good buys that you can't make anyway.
I think we are in agreement on this one.

The 3070 Ti is really disappointing, because there was an obvious spot for it in terms of price and performance, sitting neatly in between the vanilla 3070, and the 3080.

Instead, we have a card that is barely any better than the 3070, for an extra +20% cost.

As for the 3080 Ti, it is really impressive how close it comes to the 3090 - but the price is still absurd.

Honestly, the only people who should be even considering a 3080 Ti, are those who are considering a 3090 (for whatever reason).

Its a shame - but if more cards are out there, I guess that can only be a good thing?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The 3070 Ti is really disappointing, because there was an obvious spot for it in terms of price and performance, sitting neatly in between the vanilla 3070, and the 3080.

Instead, we have a card that is barely any better than the 3070, for an extra +20% cost.
Yeh, I'd just save the money and get a 3070. Or spend a bit more for a 3080.
As for the 3080 Ti, it is really impressive how close it comes to the 3090 - but the price is still absurd.

Honestly, the only people who should be even considering a 3080 Ti, are those who are considering a 3090 (for whatever reason).
I mean, I posted what both cards are going for at retail around here. At those prices, what does shelling out 200 more matter. A 3090 is barely 7% extra.
Its a shame - but if more cards are out there, I guess that can only be a good thing?
I don't know about that. The 3070 Ti has the same chip at its core as the 3070 and 3060 Ti. Same for the 3080 Ti and the 3080 (and 3090). Meaning any silicon Nvidia uses to build 3070/80 Ti cards, could've also gone any to those aforementioned cards, which are arguably all better value for money ('cept the 3090 if you're a gamer). And considering there's already a silicon shortage to begin with and Nvidia is well aware of that, well ... imo shameless cashgrabs diluting the market. But they'll sell anyway, because the market is desperate.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Apparently there has been a huge backlash on LTT's video on the 3080Ti. (Some people accuse Linus of being a "shill", but that happens every time he professes to liking something.) Here he defends himself (and his team, since he doesn't do this alone):

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think we are in agreement on this one.

If the 3080TI had come with 16GB of vram rather than 12GB, they could have positioned it as semi enthusiast content creator card with the 3090s gaming grunt and if they’d maybe shaved $100 off it (insert Edna Krabapple laugh) they might have had less of a bed shit moment. Still not great but less than this Night City corpo level fuck up.