Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Stowaway

Kind of a snore. A three person mission to Mars becomes compromised when the crew discovers an accidental stowaway aboard the ship. Because resources for a 2 year mission in space would be double what you need, obviously, just in case, this isn't immediately a problem. But everything goes wrong anyway as it must, and all of the movie's 2 hours are dedicated almost entirely to brainstorming the life and death problem of "one too many".

For, uh, reasons, it was obvious to me the stowaway himself wasn't going to bite the bullet, so not much tension in that regard. So I dunno. First act was alright but the rest of the movie was paced unevenly and just not worth the running time.
Maybe it's been the past year in this pandemic and my mindless consumption of media, but this is another film I forgot seeing, and I only saw it a few weeks ago.

But yeah, I agree, very obvious and ultimately boring film, though it does help me further solidify that while humankind is inexorably going further and further into space, it will never be MY black ass; fuck that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Florida Project

Really good. I love specificity in storytelling and this movie nails it. Takes place in a dinghy motel complex just outside Disney World that's populated by bottom feeders mooching off tourists (and also each other). The kids felt real and not movie children; the ratchet ***** playing the mother felt authentic and not at all glamorized or exaggerated. Willem Dafoe as the cranky manager is adorable. The tacky pastel look fits the movie beautifully. I'm sure a lot of it was shot on the fly (the rainbow, the chopper, those weird birds, the ending sequence) and it makes everything feel lived in and spontaneous.

Saturday Night Fever

Coming of age story about coming to terms with he fact you're just a big fish in a small pond and maybe should do something about your life. Has that grimy neorrealistic 70s look like Rocky and Serpico, which in turn feature as posters in the protagonist's bedroom, so you know the movie's self-conscious about its pedigree but also fully aware of the era's penchant for antiheros as well as angsty self-defeating zeitgeist.

Wonder Woman 1984

Wonder Woman rapes a man.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Florida Project

Really good. I love specificity in storytelling and this movie nails it. Takes place in a dinghy motel complex just outside Disney World that's populated by bottom feeders mooching off tourists (and also each other). The kids felt real and not movie children; the ratchet ***** playing the mother felt authentic and not at all glamorized or exaggerated. Willem Dafoe as the cranky manager is adorable. The tacky pastel look fits the movie beautifully. I'm sure a lot of it was shot on the fly (the rainbow, the chopper, those weird birds, the ending sequence) and it makes everything feel lived in and spontaneous.

Saturday Night Fever

Coming of age story about coming to terms with he fact you're just a big fish in a small pond and maybe should do something about your life. Has that grimy neorrealistic 70s look like Rocky and Serpico, which in turn feature as posters in the protagonist's bedroom, so you know the movie's self-conscious about its pedigree but also fully aware of the era's penchant for antiheros as well as angsty self-defeating zeitgeist.

Wonder Woman 1984

Wonder Woman rapes a man.
I adored "The Florida Project". Same guy that did "Tangerine" which was filmed using five Iphone 5s. Real guerilla film making showing us slices of life we don't typically see in major movies. The film is dedicated to Hal Roach, who made "The Little Rascals" films.

I was a kid when Saturday Night Fever came out. Watching it as an adult put a new spin on it. Based, I think, on a story that was published by New Yorker magazine.

WW84 has huge problems but I turned my brain off and loved it. Particularly the white house fight scene. Much of the movie was meant as an homage to 1980s fantasy, including the TV show, "Quantum Leap". And Superman 3... and the opening Mall scene shows it.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I rewatched "Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron today". This will have been the third time I've seen it since it came out. I was trying to re-evaluate it with a fresh perspective, having not seen it in so long I only vaguely remembered the big beats. That said, it's current RTM rating of being the 3rd worst modern MCU film (hulk not included) is still completely valid. It's strange to try and vocalize why it's ..just..not good. This time around I took notes so I wouldn't forget what I didn't like because all the right pieces are there.

The cast is good. James Spaders Ultron, regardless of faithfulness to the comics is very compelling. I loved his robot hannibal lector. The fights are great. You get to see the Hulk Buster suit. However when you all the those pieces in with the pieces in between it just doesn't quite get there. Critics picked it apart far more than audiences who currently rate it an 83% positive score. For me I was very bored and not entertained. I'd need like a good 3 or 4 pages to outline everything that falls flat, but the three big things that stand out are -

1. Despite being one of the most fun parts of the movie the Hulk Buster scene does not progress the movie in any way and is a completely shoehorned in non sequitur. It both starts and ends as though the scene was written out of context of the rest of the movie. It happens because wanda decided it should happen and ends when it runs out of gas, Iron Man punching hulk and cut to black. Its a pretty long sequence around 10 minutes and when you get back to the movie you have to remind yourself whats happening because this had nothing to do with it.

2. Thors Infinity War commercial. This is the most well known issue with the film, being the primary reason Joss quit working with Marvel. Theres a huge back story behind this, but essentially mid production Joss was made to film scenes at Ike Perlmutters demand to advertise the plans for infinity War. Thor leaves because reasons, has a dream about stones and creates vision cause stones. Its a sharp, distractingly weird, cut in the movie and though the footage doesn't exist, there's likely storyboards showing a different final creation scene for vision without it.

3. Widow and Hulk fall in love for a bit. I have some real uncomfortable feelings about this that's changed my perspective on Joss Wedon. Reading between the lines of Black Widows dialog in this and Avengers I had a distinct feeling that Joss doesn't respect black widow and maybe he really does objectify women. If you watch the films Joss Wedon is not involved in Black widow is much more of a soldier, not a cold fish or a hard ass, but contains her emotions. Being blunt Widow comes off as a whiny and emotional "woman" in this. A one dimensional cartoon. Theres also really not any build up of chemistry between Romanov and Banner. I can't for the life of me figure out why this subplot is in the movie. After this movie it's only subtly referenced, like they immediately threw it out and only grudgingly have one more nod between them in endgame. It serves no purpose in the film and the ending is retconned in Thor: Ragnarok from him landing in the sea to him going to space. It never really gelled with her character.

Aside from this I noticed Widow shows a lot of cleavage in this and is clearly wearing a push-up bra. Theres a cringy scene in this where Banner falls face first into her cleavage, that happens again in Wedons Justice league between Flash and wonder woman. Look it up, its shot for shot. She's "sexy" in this where as she wears much more tactical clothing and suit design in the post-wedon films. Iron man even makes a joke later telling her she and hulk "better not be playing hide the zucchini". I wanna make it clear, I don't look for these things. It kinda just stood out. SJ credited wedon at some point in interviews for helping build her strong female character so I could be talking out of my butt, but apparently I'm not alone there were a lot of complaints online about these scenes being misogynistic when this first came out. I question whether these interviews were the pointed kind where she was directed to say that. She hasn't worked with him since.

I think you could literally cut out all these scenes and still have the exact same movie. I bet some fans wouldnt even notice.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I rewatched "Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron today". This will have been the third time I've seen it since it came out. I was trying to re-evaluate it with a fresh perspective, having not seen it in so long I only vaguely remembered the big beats. That said, it's current RTM rating of being the 3rd worst modern MCU film (hulk not included) is still completely valid. It's strange to try and vocalize why it's ..just..not good. This time around I took notes so I wouldn't forget what I didn't like because all the right pieces are there.

The cast is good. James Spaders Ultron, regardless of faithfulness to the comics is very compelling. I loved his robot hannibal lector. The fights are great. You get to see the Hulk Buster suit. However when you all the those pieces in with the pieces in between it just doesn't quite get there. Critics picked it apart far more than audiences who currently rate it an 83% positive score. For me I was very bored and not entertained. I'd need like a good 3 or 4 pages to outline everything that falls flat, but the three big things that stand out are -

1. Despite being one of the most fun parts of the movie the Hulk Buster scene does not progress the movie in any way and is a completely shoehorned in non sequitur. It both starts and ends as though the scene was written out of context of the rest of the movie. It happens because wanda decided it should happen and ends when it runs out of gas, Iron Man punching hulk and cut to black. Its a pretty long sequence around 10 minutes and when you get back to the movie you have to remind yourself whats happening because this had nothing to do with it.

2. Thors Infinity War commercial. This is the most well known issue with the film, being the primary reason Joss quit working with Marvel. Theres a huge back story behind this, but essentially mid production Joss was made to film scenes at Ike Perlmutters demand to advertise the plans for infinity War. Thor leaves because reasons, has a dream about stones and creates vision cause stones. Its a sharp, distractingly weird, cut in the movie and though the footage doesn't exist, there's likely storyboards showing a different final creation scene for vision without it.

3. Widow and Hulk fall in love for a bit. I have some real uncomfortable feelings about this that's changed my perspective on Joss Wedon. Reading between the lines of Black Widows dialog in this and Avengers I had a distinct feeling that Joss doesn't respect black widow and maybe he really does objectify women. If you watch the films Joss Wedon is not involved in Black widow is much more of a soldier, not a cold fish or a hard ass, but contains her emotions. Being blunt Widow comes off as a whiny and emotional "woman" in this. A one dimensional cartoon. Theres also really not any build up of chemistry between Romanov and Banner. I can't for the life of me figure out why this subplot is in the movie. After this movie it's only subtly referenced, like they immediately threw it out and only grudgingly have one more nod between them in endgame. It serves no purpose in the film and the ending is retconned in Thor: Ragnarok from him landing in the sea to him going to space. It never really gelled with her character.

Aside from this I noticed Widow shows a lot of cleavage in this and is clearly wearing a push-up bra. Theres a cringy scene in this where Banner falls face first into her cleavage, that happens again in Wedons Justice league between Flash and wonder woman. Look it up, its shot for shot. She's "sexy" in this where as she wears much more tactical clothing and suit design in the post-wedon films. Iron man even makes a joke later telling her she and hulk "better not be playing hide the zucchini". I wanna make it clear, I don't look for these things. It kinda just stood out. SJ credited wedon at some point in interviews for helping build her strong female character so I could be talking out of my butt, but apparently I'm not alone there were a lot of complaints online about these scenes being misogynistic when this first came out. I question whether these interviews were the pointed kind where she was directed to say that. She hasn't worked with him since.

I think you could literally cut out all these scenes and still have the exact same movie. I bet some fans wouldnt even notice.
Age of Ultron is one of those movies that age worse every single year. The fact that Joss Weeden is a creep on amplifies this. Like I said before, most of the phase 2 movies are not good. They're either boring, very forgettable, and wastes everyone's time.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Age of Ultron is one of those movies that age worse every single year. The fact that Josh weeden is a creep on amplifies this. Like I said before, most of the phase 2 movies are not good. They're either boring, very forgettable, and wastes everyone's time.
I never feel like Age of Ultron is a waste of time. I actually really like it; then and now.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
More power to you; I'm the opposite. I didn't like it back then and I absolutely despise it now.
Age of Ultron has this unfortunate position in life. It came after The Avengers with all its new car shine and reactions of "Holy shit, we CAN pull this madness off" and then after it came fucking Avengers Infinity War. Like its the least good of all the Avengers movies but its also the only one where they're fighting as a unified unit from the get go.

I mean I love it but I don't blame anyone looking at it compared The Avengers, Infinity War or Endgame and saying "Really? That was it? Your biggest challenge after Loki was roided up Johnny 5?"

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
In The Heights: A Musical / A Film

A guy aspires to get out of his closely knit urban community with a few "will they/won't they" relationships sprinkled about. That's it.

I do not like modern, non-theater musicals; this one is no exception. A story that could have been told in about 10 minutes took over 2 HOURS because every moment of interest (using that term loosely) ended up with 30 people singing and dancing about it. The golden age of musicals (Rodgers & Hammerstein) has a unique innocence and charm about it as it mostly harkened back to older times; this modern crap about modern times just feels like it exists for it's own sake and silly. The stories are razor thin because the song and dance numbers are seemingly more important than respecting an audience's intelligence. I struggle to remember most details about the film because, let's face it, outside of the singing and dancing, there was very little of substantive value; I got fleeced.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
compared The Avengers, Infinity War or Endgame and saying "Really? That was it? Your biggest challenge after Loki was roided up Johnny 5?"
Believe it or not, Ultron was the least of my issues. I actually never felt annoyed or frustrated with him.

Reactions: Piscian

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I felt that scene, was mostly there to show for the audience, just WHY Bruce is afraid of "Code Green." They make a point, to show everyone else on the team, mostly disregarding, even mocking his terror at possibly killing people while in Hulk form. And so that scene was basically saying "THIS is why he hates being the Hulk. Why he hates losing control. It just took the finger waggles of one girl with a grudge and an agenda, and he leveled an entire section of a city before being brought down."

I also wonder if they came down with a mandate of "Write Hulk out at the end, because we need him somewhere else." Or something similar. Not that they knew Ragnarok was coming, but just something vaguely Planet Hulk-y was maybe on the drawing board, and that means him going to space.

I agree it doesn't move the plot forward, other than to just raise the stakes, by removing their Green I Win Button.

Yep, that sequence was weird and completely without any connection to the rest of the film. The Hulk scene at least was a result of the antagonist stirring the pot, and weakening the team of heroes before the final fight, which is pretty standard "Tricky Badguy" tactics, just look at Loki from the first Avengers film. The Thor scene...just...yeah it's totally out there. It felt like something out of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Some coked up fever dream.

Yeah Widow in that film was a bit strange. Like, I don't have a problem with her being shown sexy, as she's a spy, and it's been established that she was trained to use sex and sexual attraction to lure in her targets. So the idea that she might casually wear her outfit with some cleavage showing, doesn't really seem out of place to me. It's mostly not mentioned by anyone, it's not like every dude in the cast is leering at her tits, and making honking gestures or whatnot. And...well regarding Tony telling what is essentially two of his coworkers to "try and leash in your very obvious relationship when it's business time"....honestly I can empathize with that. I've literally got 2 coworkers who are about as subtle with their relationship, as a pair of horny teenagers, and they are in their 40s. I've literally walked into an office, finding them hugging, and they did the *quickly jump away from each other and fail to look innocent* thing. And I've had to do something similar to basically say "We see it, you're not hiding it well, if you're trying to keep it from us, you need to do better at being subtle" I recall Tony said it mostly in jest, because let's be honest, of all the people to actually CARE if two people are fucking, it's NOT going to be Tony. The man with a stripper pole in his private jet, is hardly going to actually be bothered by two people that he genuinely cares for, being sexually happy with each other. I think he just enjoyed watching them blush and squirm a bit, thinking they hadn't made it painfully obvious.

What I don't like about Widow, is the well known thing about "I can't have kids, so I'm the real monster" line. That was just.....SO weird. Equating infertility with inhumanity, was so out of left field for me. I remember literally blinking in disbelief, and kind of shaking my head, like that one classic gif of the guy being mildly surprised at hearing something.

One point about Ultron that personally annoyed me, was the really cliche "I'm an A.I. made to protect humanity, and within 0.0004 nanoseconds of being alive, I've digested all human knowledge/history, and decided the best way to protect humanity is to DESTROY ALL HUMANS!! BEEP BEEP BOOP BOOP!! It's just, I'm SO sick of that trope. It's one of the lamest ones I personally ever see, it's really low hanging fruit as far as A.I antagonist motivations.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
His House. (Netflix)
Interesting haunted house horror film that sneakily flown under the radar. A newly-housed refugee couple in Britain with mysterious hints at past guilt have trouble with some ghosties. The house is a barely kept council house on a low income estate - which provided some strange sense of comfort from own vague childhood memories while watching - but the couple are reassured it's a really lucky deal and far bigger than any of their own homes. Acting and imagery is great, no reliance on jump scares either. Not sure if I'm imagining the clever metaphor peaking in the film's climax, if it's legit it's a refreshing one to see. Good stuff, added to pile of recommends.

Reactions: Piscian

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Believe it or not, Ultron was the least of my issues. I actually never felt annoyed or frustrated with him.
Ultron's character moments are the big redeeming quality in the film imo, which is funny because I get the impression most people, even my comic nerd dad, hated him. I thought he was mesmerizing.

The entire film he is absolutely certain that not only is he the good guy, but that he's actually saving humanity by sending them back to the ice age. There's a lot of these little moments. When he asks the twins to tell him their story and he never even interrupts, he genuinely cares.

Later on in the scenes with Claw he constantly shifts between extremely pleasant and nice to murderous rage then seriously apologies then moving right along. There's no snidely whiplash to him. Even when Claw demands extreme money, the audience holds their breaths like Ultron would just kill him, instead hes like "cool youre rich now".

There's a scene with wanda trying to stop the bus and he actually begs her "please don't make me do this!" then when widow finds him near the end he's in a heap and the first thing he says "if you stay here you'll die." It's really difficult to wrap your head around this 10ft tall robot monster villain that is almost like an adult, but with the emotional development of a child. I don't quite recall the dialog, but I like the final debate between him and Vision. I love when Marvel has these villains like Ultron and Killmonger that make you think "eeh... I mean he's kinda right.....kinda.".

His House. (Netflix)
Interesting haunted house horror film that sneakily flown under the radar. A newly-housed refugee couple in Britain with mysterious hints at past guilt have trouble with some ghosties. The house is a barely kept council house on a low income estate - which provided some strange sense of comfort from own vague childhood memories while watching - but the couple are reassured it's a really lucky deal and far bigger than any of their own homes. Acting and imagery is great, no reliance on jump scares either. Not sure if I'm imagining the clever metaphor peaking in the film's climax, if it's legit it's a refreshing one to see. Good stuff, added to pile of recommends.
I absolutely adored "His House". It was a close call between that and it being a terrible movie. The blurring of right and wrong and
ownership of your sins
was absolutely brilliant.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I originally loved Age of Ultron, have Disney + and rewatched it... still love age of Ultron. I'm sure there are places to quibble but in the end, seeing the Avengers relax, have a beer, get attacked, fight, enjoy their version of Quick Silver, however inferior to the Fox version. Love when Cap fights Ultron and irritated, he tells Steve to quit it! Hawkeye's 4th wall break to Scarlet Witch? So many great scenes. We are spoiled if we don't see how awesome this movie was.
ITMT: I'll check "His House" next.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I sat down and rewatched "Dawn of The Dead (2004)". I'd been ruminating on how much I hated Army of the Dead, what forgettable trash it was and wondered aloud if Dawn of the Dead was as good as I'd remembered considering it was the reason Netflix greenlit AOTD. The short answer is "yes" it is still amazing. I didn't realize this but it was even shot on film, making digital effects more scarce and for the benefit I think. What I didn't know, was that it was written by not only George Fricking Romero, but also JAMES GODDAMN GUNN. GARs cultural commentary and JGs pre-marvel twisted humor? Talk about a match made in heaven.

I think thats what bothers me about Hollywood exec cultural. Its all about who takes the biggest credit. The director could end up having had little to do with what people adore about a cult hit film, but execs just assumed they wrote and directed and produced the whole thing themselves. So then you end up with Hollywood thinking ZS can carry films all by himself undeservedly.

Back to Dawn of the dead, I just kind of love most everything about it. None of the characters overstay their time on screen, there's no fat, there's no real caricatures except the rich asshole and when he is being an ass it's entertaining and brief. The cast is great. It's an iconic role for Ving Rhames. Sarah Polly is awesome. I wish she'd acted more, but life happens I get it. Great movie. The kind you can pretty much just sit down and watch whenever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I sat down and rewatched "Dawn of The Dead (2004)". I'd been ruminating on how much I hated Army of the Dead, what forgettable trash it was and wondered aloud if Dawn of the Dead was as good as I'd remembered considering it was the reason Netflix greenlit AOTD. The short answer is "yes" it is still amazing. I didn't realize this but it was even shot on film, making digital effects more scarce and for the benefit I think. What I didn't know, was that it was written by not only George Fricking Romero, but also JAMES GODDAMN GUNN. GARs cultural commentary and JGs pre-marvel twisted humor? Talk about a match made in heaven.
That's because Romero made the original Dawn of The Dead (1978). That one has better characters, if you're interested. The 2004 version is one of the better remakes, because it keeps the same concept, but tries something different. I still prefer the original version though. Also, even though Romero helped write it, he did not like the fact that zombies could run (though the original had two zombie children running in one scene). Me personally, not everything zombie should be the same. I get his point of view.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
That's because Romero made the original Dawn of The Dead (1978). That one has better characters, if you're interested. The 2004 version is one of the better remakes, because it keeps the same concept, but tries something different. I still prefer the original version though. Also, even though Romero helped write it, he did not like the fact that zombies could run (though the original had two zombie children running in one scene). Me personally, not everything zombie should be the same. I get his point of view.
Yeah I'm a big fan of all that stuff. I think the argument could be made that romera's dawn of the dead hasn't aged quite as well because he spent much more time on character development over zombie shootouts. I think as a stereotypical millennial it's only in rare moments that I have the patience for something like original Dawn of the Dead. I'm ashamed to say I even enjoy the "Night of the Living Dead (1990)" over the original, though all these things could simply be a symptom of me enjoying things I grew up with more then the originals. Then again my favorite scary movie is "The Haunting (1963)" so there's exceptions to the nostalgia rule.

Oh on a side note I'm about to watch something called The Amusement Park (2019) supposedly it's a Romero horror film that never got released and just recently got dredged up and published. keeping my expectations low.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm ashamed to say I even enjoy the "Night of the Living Dead (1990)" over the original, though all these things could simply be a symptom of me enjoying things I grew up with more then the originals.
There is no shame in that, nor should you feel it. I prefer the 1990 remake over the OG 1968 original.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
The Road to El Dorado. I never saw it in theaters, but saw it on TV a couple times. Beautiful movie, and one of Dreamwork's best 2D movies. A lost art. The hand drawn animation in this movie is insane. I know of all the production troubles, but despite this I believed they churned out a good movie.
Funny you should mention this, because I just saw the Man Who Would be King, on which the Road to El Dorado is very loosely based. And frankly, I think the Road to El Dorado actually did it better. The Man Who Would be King is a slow burn that somehow never manages to really endear the central characters to us and - more criminally - doesn't really have that great of a payoff. It's a serviceable movie, and not a bad one per se, but it lacks that cathartic element of personal investment. The protagonists aren't so bad that you're hoping for their failure, but they're also not likable enough for us to hope for their success.

I dunno, I don't regret watching it, but while I'd happily see the Road to El Dorado again, I'm not sure I'd rewatch the Man Who Would Be King.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Funny you should mention this, because I just saw the Man Who Would be King, on which the Road to El Dorado is very loosely based. And frankly, I think the Road to El Dorado actually did it better. The Man Who Would be King is a slow burn that somehow never manages to really endear the central characters to us and - more criminally - doesn't really have that great of a payoff. It's a serviceable movie, and not a bad one per se, but it lacks that cathartic element of personal investment. The protagonists aren't so bad that you're hoping for their failure, but they're also not likable enough for us to hope for their success.

I dunno, I don't regret watching it, but while I'd happily see the Road to El Dorado again, I'm not sure I'd rewatch the Man Who Would Be King.
I never saw The Man Who Would be King once, nor do I feel invested. Especially if El Dorado is the better version.