Dell Continues Its Downward Slide

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
You don't need to spend nearly that much unless you really need a beefy GPU for work (I don't think the Apple M1 has great graphical capabilities IIRC so if that was good enough for you without app hiccups then you probably don't need a laptop with a dedicated GPU). Below is a link to a laptop with a Ryzen 7 (Radeon APU graphics), 16 GB of RAM, and a 1 TB SSD for $800. The only downside to it is the screen isn't the best so if you're Photoshopping and need more accurate colors or a brighter screen, it might not be for you. You may need a touchscreen (I personally don't like them) and it doesn't have a touchscreen. You may also want a smaller device since laptops are mobile, I personally don't like anything more than a 14" screen but if you're using it a lot, you may want the bigger screen of 15.6 or even 17.3. So filter the results on a site like Newegg to find models that fit everything you need, then check out some reviews on Youtube. I'd say you seem to probably want at least a Ryzen 5 / Core i5 or higher for the CPU (AMD does give you better graphical capabilities), at least 12 GB of RAM (16GB will be definitely enough) because you said you use a lot of apps, and you definitely want a SSD (you can get away with a smaller SSD in size if the laptop has a spot for a normal laptop HD where you can put up to a 5TB drive in). If you are doing a lot of writing to the drive like say video editing on a daily basis, SSDs only have so many writes they can do so you'd probably want a second normal mechanical hard drive in there anyway.
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll be looking into this. I'm not the best when it comes to specs, if I remember correctly, a friend owns something like (or exactly) this, so I'll send her a quick message. When I went into a well-known pc building store in London, they also recommended an i7 or i9(?) laptop for me but they were pretty much talking alien to me so I bailed out. I need to find more about this stuff to make the switch, I'm not too keen on a touch screen with my device though, I like the simple feel of the mechanical keyboard. I need to review what you've said in the later bits because that too, sounded a little alien to me. Anyhoo, appreciate the help! Thank you!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll be looking into this. I'm not the best when it comes to specs, if I remember correctly, a friend owns something like (or exactly) this, so I'll send her a quick message. When I went into a well-known pc building store in London, they also recommended an i7 or i9(?) laptop for me but they were pretty much talking alien to me so I bailed out. I need to find more about this stuff to make the switch, I'm not too keen on a touch screen with my device though, I like the simple feel of the mechanical keyboard. I need to review what you've said in the later bits because that too, sounded a little alien to me. Anyhoo, appreciate the help! Thank you!

Reactions: lostinreality

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I already posted that in the "best/worst computer brands" thread, but it deserves to be here as well.

To be fair to dell, he had no idea what he was doing when he ordered his PC, and caused a lot of these problems himself. To be fair to him though, holy shit dell's customer service is awful, their proprietary designs are terrible, and their parts pricing is downright predatory. No one should ever buy a dell computer.
He does admit that he fucked up to begin with, but the whole "Expect a dude to show up whenever the fuck we feel like it, no we're not gonna give you an idea when. Opps you weren't there, fuck you" X3 shitshow is astounding. That's worse then telecom companies

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Oh, apparently no real reason to fret, all you west coast gamers. So what is the Dell not shipping issue then?

Well, if you'd ask me, I have a sneaking suspicion their garbage proprietary hardware is not up to spec for standards they knew would be coming for probably years.

Which is just so Dell.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So, the wife's work has sent her a Dell laptop to replace an HP laptop. Is this a downgrade?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
So, the wife's work has sent her a Dell laptop to replace an HP laptop. Is this a downgrade?
Probably. If it's better spec wise, maybe not. If they're equal, depends who you ask which company is better (It's probably not Dell, given this thread)

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Gonna join the chorus and say it depends on the specs. Kind of also depends on what kind of Dell i.e. a business laptop like an XPS has a better chance of being decent than something from the budget line. Not guaranteed, mind you, just better odds.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Dell - indeed most system integrators - tend not to bugger around with their business line devices. They get bought in stupid huge numbers and even a single lost contract is like chumming a tank of sharks. The others will smell blood and want in on your lost action.

Long story short it will be adequate for the tasks at hand. Not Starship Enterprise, not sandwich press with an etch-a-sketch on the top plate either.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Dell - indeed most system integrators - tend not to bugger around with their business line devices. They get bought in stupid huge numbers and even a single lost contract is like chumming a tank of sharks. The others will smell blood and want in on your lost action.

Long story short it will be adequate for the tasks at hand. Not Starship Enterprise, not sandwich press with an etch-a-sketch on the top plate either.
I just realized I've had a Dell work laptop with an i7-8650U, 16 Gig RAM, 64 bit OS and 500 Gb SSD. Works well enough over last few years but been wfh due to Covid for last nearly 2 years and use my home built desktop most of the time.

I help the missus set the thing up in her home office tonight after dinner. I will try to get a peek at the specs of her retiring laptop vs new one. (Set up should not be a heavy lift... famous last words... pray for me.)

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Gonna join the chorus and say it depends on the specs. Kind of also depends on what kind of Dell i.e. a business laptop like an XPS has a better chance of being decent than something from the budget line. Not guaranteed, mind you, just better odds.
Yeah, business class laptops are usually pretty good. I'm rocking the HP EliteBook G7 at work and it's pretty sweet. Though I've seen 2 G6s rather recently just die due to a board issue; I was apping one last week that just turned off on me, it turned back on for like a minute, then it permanently turned off.