If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device on permanent hiatus

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I swear every franchise I'm into lately is either hated or cancelled or obscure.
Well, isn't that true of most franchises? Obscure can be objectively measured somewhat, but there's always someone claiming X or Y is cancelled or hated.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Well, isn't that true of most franchises? Obscure can be objectively measured somewhat, but there's always someone claiming X or Y is cancelled or hated.
I'm enduring hate for Blizzard, I'm enduring hate for Games Workshop because TTS and Patreon Fan animations is more important then officially made stuff, I'm enduring CDProjeckt hate/GOG hate. I'm enduring DC Comics hate. Berserk's author is dead. Game of Thrones is now hated. I once endured Capcom/Resident Evil hate and contributed to that hate. Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell will never return to their former glory. I was there for the Dragon Age hate, and Mass Effect hate, but now I change my mind about the OG trilogy. Metal Gear and Silent Hill is dead. Old Sony exclusives are dead expect Ratchet and Clank.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm enduring hate for Blizzard, I'm enduring hate for Games Workshop because TTS and Patreon Fan animations is more important then officially made stuff, I'm enduring CDProjeckt hate/GOG hate. I'm enduring DC Comics hate. Berserk's author is dead. Game of Thrones is now hated. I once endured Capcom/Resident Evil hate and contributed to that hate. Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell will never return to their former glory. I was there for the Dragon Age hate, and Mass Effect hate, but now I change my mind about the OG trilogy. Metal Gear and Silent Hill is dead. Old Sony exclusives are dead expect Ratchet and Clank.
Do you want a hand climbing onto that cross of yours?

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yeah...cry me a river.

I don't think a fan can be said to "endure" hate. Not unless that hate is sent to them directly.

I mean, it sucks to me as someone who's been called a [Blizzard] "bootlicker" in the past (which might count as enduring hate) that Blizzard's descended further than I even dreaded, but as much as that might suck for me, it sucks much, MUCH more for the people who've been harassed. Or similarly, I have far more sympathy for people whose fanworks have been taken down by GW than fans of GW itself.

As for other IPs, I mean, yeah, that goes for everyone. We've all got IPs we wish were more popular, and we've all seen IPs die. That isn't anything new.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Fake gamer girls? That's still a thing people believe in? Thought we'd moved past that.

(Not to mention, the idea that there's some sinister trend of women trying to seduce gamers is just painfully stupid as is)
Some people will never move past that, because they always told themselves the only reason they don't have a significant other is because they're a gamer nerd. Well it gets awkward when gamer girl nerds come along, share the same interests, and yet aren't interested in them. Then they have personalities that aren't worth dating, instead of just interests women find off-putting, as if A. women actually found playing games for fun and relaxation to be off putting and a deal breaker, and B. those self same women are somehow a prize worth pursuing and convincing, rather than a huge red flag that the relationship is doomed if the first step convincing someone to look past a hobby.

And NordQueen has been pretty consistent with her side. I've watch a few of her live-stream painting/lore videos and inevitably someone asks her about TTS and she always tells the same story of the busty skimpy sister of battle, and being told she's only popular because she has tits. And TTS has been at the cutting edge of edgy 40k memes, so I can totally see them thinking its a joke and funny.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Some people will never move past that, because they always told themselves the only reason they don't have a significant other is because they're a gamer nerd. Well it gets awkward when gamer girl nerds come along, share the same interests, and yet aren't interested in them.
I'd not seen that explanation before, but it makes sense.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
His issue is just the movies being bad.

I'm enduring things that are good but hated because of who's making them.
Oh, so the things you like aren't even bad? Some people just dislike their creators? That's it?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Oh, so the things you like aren't even bad? Some people just dislike their creators? That's it?
Makes me feel like a pariah. I still like playing and investing in WOW despite everything.

But given its multiplayer nature, barely anyone I meet on the world of social media will be interested in playing with me.

I like 300 but most people don't like Zack Snyder.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
What's wrong with Dragon Age and Mass Effect? I thought those trilogies were incredibly well received, the last 5 minute of ME3 aside.
And don't let GW hate get to you. I find what GW is doing a little distasteful, but I fully understand and support them enforcing IP laws. Not a fan of TTS, but I wouldn't have objected to GW just hiring them to make parody videos. But if GW doesn't want parodies, sure, who am I to tell them otherwise. A lot of GW fans are acting very entitled, as if 40k is just public domain and belongs to random neckbeards instead of being a carefully controlled IP by a company.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
What's wrong with Dragon Age and Mass Effect? I thought those trilogies were incredibly well received, the last 5 minute of ME3 aside.
And don't let GW hate get to you. I find what GW is doing a little distasteful, but I fully understand and support them enforcing IP laws. Not a fan of TTS, but I wouldn't have objected to GW just hiring them to make parody videos. But if GW doesn't want parodies, sure, who am I to tell them otherwise. A lot of GW fans are acting very entitled, as if 40k is just public domain and belongs to random neckbeards instead of being a carefully controlled IP by a company.
Dragon Age 2 was so bad for me I disowned the whole franchise. I like the OG Mass Effect Trilogy despite its ending, Andromeda though is trash

I have almost this same idea when every on youtube reacts this way when it comes to IP/Copyright topics on youtube. Dude, your playing with fire if you built your whole channel and topic around a certain IP. To these companies, you are leeching profit away from them. These people would rather watch DBZ Abridged then watch the actual DBZ on legitimate/official services hosted by the IP holder.

"But its free advertising" they say. That's the problem they enjoy the "Free Advertising" more then the actual product

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Dragon Age 2 was so bad for me I disowned the whole franchise. I like the OG Mass Effect Trilogy despite its ending, Andromeda though is trash

I have almost this same idea when every on youtube reacts this way when it comes to IP/Copyright topics on youtube. Dude, your playing with fire if you built your whole channel and topic around a certain IP. To these companies, you are leeching profit away from them. These people would rather watch DBZ Abridged then watch the actual DBZ on legitimate/official services hosted by the IP holder.

"But its free advertising" they say. That's the problem they enjoy the "Free Advertising" more then the actual product
The same people who say using another company's IP as the central theme of your internet content because its "free publicity" are the same people who don't pay artists for avatars and artwork, because they're working "for exposure".

I actually never played Andromeda, because at least for me Mass Effect is just a generic sci-fi setting. Big bad robots, all aliens have tits, everyone is fit and speaks English, and the main dude can put his dick in a lot of different space ladies. That's pretty standard.
Its only the characters that made it special for me. Tali, Liara, Jack, Garrus to a less degree, Miranda, Zaeed. I have no interest in the Mass Effect setting if it doesn't involve those characters.

And to be consistent, as a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I was fully in support when Hasbro put the hammer down on random creators just making a full on MLP RPG game and putting it on Steam, or the animators who yeah made some cute videos, but were 100% monetizing content and fund raising off the expressed idea of making MLP content.
And at least from what i can tell about the new GW IP guidelines, it only applies to monetized content. If you or I just made a fan video of 40k, no patreon or kickstarter, no ads on Youtube, none of the paid content or sponsors, the video falls under "Hobby" and can't be touched by IP laws. In that case it really is just free advertising, because you're creating an entire product for free and giving it away. So many people forget all these Youtube channels have patreons and kickstarters that pay them for their 40k content.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Not sure if Dragon Age is a trilogy per se...

Still makes Games Workshop dickish.

And to be consistent, as a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I was fully in support when Hasbro put the hammer down on random creators just making a full on MLP RPG game and putting it on Steam, or the animators who yeah made some cute videos, but were 100% monetizing content and fund raising off the expressed idea of making MLP content.
Monetization, I agree with you on though, but the GW situation isn't based on monetization as far as I can tell.

Makes me feel like a pariah. I still like playing and investing in WOW despite everything.

But given its multiplayer nature, barely anyone I meet on the world of social media will be interested in playing with me.
Peh, I've disliked WoW since before it was cool.

Alas, we're never going to get Warcraft IV, because Activision and/or Blizzard are stupid like that. :(

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Not sure if Dragon Age is a trilogy per se...

Still makes Games Workshop dickish.

Monetization, I agree with you on though, but the GW situation isn't based on monetization as far as I can tell.

Peh, I've disliked WoW since before it was cool.

Alas, we're never going to get Warcraft IV, because Activision and/or Blizzard are stupid like that. :(
Or the Wrath of the Lich King server

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay this is the debate going around, and I'm very curious. Ive seen Reddit posts like this:
That breaks down everything the IP update says, and what's actually occurred, with Astartes, Helsreach, Sodaz, and others, all being monetized channels for ads and having go-fund-me pages for the expressed purpose of making 40k stuff.
But then TTS happened and only a handful actually watched the video where they said no, GW legal hasn't contacted them, as far as they know GW isn't aware of them, and they're closing because they're worried, not because of legal threats. And everyone just assumed that meant legal threats, and people like Sodaz and Astartes were threatened to work for GW on pain of, I dunno, something.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Okay this is the debate going around, and I'm very curious. Ive seen Reddit posts like this:
That breaks down everything the IP update says, and what's actually occurred, with Astartes, Helsreach, Sodaz, and others, all being monetized channels for ads and having go-fund-me pages for the expressed purpose of making 40k stuff.
But then TTS happened and only a handful actually watched the video where they said no, GW legal hasn't contacted them, as far as they know GW isn't aware of them, and they're closing because they're worried, not because of legal threats. And everyone just assumed that meant legal threats, and people like Sodaz and Astartes were threatened to work for GW on pain of, I dunno, something.
I would have thought the biggest threat to their IP and rightful monetary compensation would be the increasing prevalence of 3D printers.