Evangelion 3.0 + 1 discussion(potential Spoilers)

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Just gonna put out a stream of consciousness, I don't really feel like making a well thought out review for a film like this.

Well the conclusion to the rebuild series has come out and is available on amazon prime. After so many years I found it rather meh. It is certainly much better than 3.0, but that wasn't exactly a high bar to pass. Its more or less a reimagining of End of Evangelion but done much more bluntly and with stupid action sequences. Almost every theme is spelled out for the audience and is generally presented in a way I found much less compelling than the original series and movies. It does end on a happier note but it feels a bit unearned. The conflict is resolved by talk-no-jiustsu which is appropriate but what is done to get to that point feels unconnected. I am still left scratching my head as to what happened to the Seele leadership and organization because 3.0 and the sequel seem to indicate the entire operation is run by Gendo and Fyutski somehow.

We get to see how people live now that neo-tokyo is gone and I honestly found that bit interesting. Unfortunately it has little bearing on the film for how much of the film's run time it takes up.

The 3D in this movie is atrocious through out and I often found myself tuning out the action. Everything is dialed up to 11. There are literally billions of Eva's in this but they don't really do much and might as well not exist. There is a giant Rei Ayanami a la EoE but they opt to go with a 3d model instead of 2d animation. It is weird looking but I found it more distracting and ugly than unsettling. There is a fight scene later that uses the weird animation to good effect for a sequence I enjoyed more in concept than execution.

There is so much fan service in this it become distracting, sometimes its unintentionally hilarious and other times its creepy. Early on we see Ritsuko in a plug suit and all I could focus on was this weird cod piece over her vagina due to the camera placement and the way the design draws attention to it. Auska spends a good third of the movie naked/panties, you could argue that its because she doesn't value her body since she can't age but that falls away when the camera is constantly looking up her ass. The male gaze is fully unleashed in this movie and I can now say with certainty that Anno is an ass man.

Mari plays a much bigger role in this film but still has no real character motivation. Its implied by the ending that Mari and Shnji are a thing I guess because Mari and Shinji are inserts of Anno and his wife? Its just weird because Mari is revealed to be a colleague of Gendo, Yui and Fyutski who had her aging stopped by the FCL, which would make her a forty something year old by the events of the film while Shinji is still 16, pretty damn creepy.

The final scene of the film is an aerial shot of a real neighborhood in Tokyo, Anno's way telling overly obsessive fans to get out and get a life because he is done with this series. There is a sense of finality, but that was also true of EoE, only time will tell if he holds true to this.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So true story I start watching it last night. They do a like 5 minute explanation of whats happened so far, which is literally just violence flashcuts and screaming, no explanation of anything. I've seen the whole series, all the movies and at the beginning of the film I still had no idea whats going on. I get it, the whole point is to be opaque and obtuse. Sigh whatever at least its nice to look at.

One of my favorite films is Primer (2004) which is lauded for intentionally not dumbing things down and forcing the audience to try and put the pieces together, but I feel like theres a line where you're just intentionally obfuscating plot elements to make yours story "seem" more special and interesting. Pans Labyrinth Evangelion is not.

Yeah Yeah I just don't "get" evangelion

6gNT.gif

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
So true story I start watching it last night. They do a like 5 minute explanation of whats happened so far, which is literally just violence flashcuts and screaming, no explanation of anything. I've seen the whole series, all the movies and at the beginning of the film I still had no idea whats going on. I get it, the whole point is to be opaque and obtuse. Sigh whatever at least its nice to look at.

One of my favorite films is Primer (2004) which is lauded for intentionally not dumbing things down and forcing the audience to try and put the pieces together, but I feel like theres a line where you're just intentionally obfuscating plot elements to make yours story "seem" more special and interesting. Pans Labyrinth Evangelion is not.

Yeah Yeah I just don't "get" evangelion

View attachment 4232
All the mumbo jumbo doesn't really matter, its really just about a teenage boy getting over his depression and anxiety at the end of the day. I skipped that recap because it gave me a headache :p

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Evangelion is not about the robots, Evangelion is not about Gods, Angels, and the cosmic weird and unknown.

Evangelion is about people. The characters.

I mean the first 30-40 minutes is all about the people.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Evangelion will always suck in my eyes. They should have stopped at 2.0 and been done with it. Almost none of the original people at Gainax work there anymore. A majority of them went to form Studio Trigger and they're better off for it. Gainax has nothing left period. All their other properties are either too niche, came and gone, or they don't want to continue it, because the talent for it all left 10 years ago. Just end and die already. There's nothing left for this series. You made a major impact, you got a whole bunch of clones to follow you and try to "deconstruct" everything, you have the era of reconstruction, and then you had 2.0.

Just stop 🛑

Cease and desist. Bury the hatchet. Move on to something else and get on with your lives. Nearly no one cares anymore. Even you guys don't care anymore. You're just doing it to milk out whatever cash you can get left from the hardcore and obsessed fans. Have some dignity for Christ's sake.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is a movie with a great beginning, a sloppy, tiring middle, and a phenomenal ending.

I did not expect anything from it, especially after 3. But Anno delivered. Absolutely beautiful movie. Absolutely beautiful themes.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Evangelion will always suck my eyes. They should have stopped at 2.0 and been done with it. Almost none of the original people that Gainax work there anymore. A majority of them went to form Studio Trigger and they're better off for it. Gainax has nothing left period. All their other properties are either two niche, came and gone, or they don't want to continue it, because the talent for it all left 10 years ago. Just end and die already. There's nothing left for this series. You came to Major impact, you got a whole bunch of clones to follow you and try to "deconstruct" everything, you have the era of reconstruction, and then you had 2.0. Just stop 🛑

Cease and desist. Bury the hatchet. Move on to something else and get on with your lives. Nearly no one cares anymore. Even you guys don't care anymore. You're just doing it to milk out whatever cash you can get left from the hardcore and obsessed fans. Have some dignity for Christ's sake.
The movie does get a bit heavy handedly meta in the final act of the movie and pretty much says exactly what you are saying. Shinji and Gendo battle it out with evas arguing over instrumentality. Shinji wants to move on in his life, Gendo wants to see Yui. They fight in a bunch of different settings from the show but it looks off, then its revealed they are just on a bunch of tokusatsu sets. It sort of makes a farce of the whole thing but it doesn't quite go far enough. Shinji is Anno telling the fans to move on and find something more meaningful while Gendo is the fan base desperately clinging to nostalgia. The climax also ends with Shinji wiping out all the evas from existence. Its almost a great bit but its really rushed and there isn't any build up to it so it falls flat.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The movie does get a bit heavy handedly meta in the final act of the movie and pretty much says exactly what you are saying. Shinji and Gendo battle it out with evas arguing over instrumentality. Shinji wants to move on in his life, Gendo wants to see Yui. They fight in a bunch of different settings from the show but it looks off, then its revealed they are just on a bunch of tokusatsu sets. It sort of makes a farce of the whole thing but it doesn't quite go far enough. Shinji is Anno telling the fans to move on and find something more meaningful while Gendo is the fan base desperately clinging to nostalgia. The climax also ends with Shinji wiping out all the evas from existence. Its almost a great bit but its really rushed and there isn't any build up to it so it falls flat.
Yet it was Anno who felt this needed to be revisited; it's not like the fans were demanding a remake from him, they were happy enough with what NGE was available at the time. EoE was a very bitter, but very understandable response to extremely toxic fan backlash, Rebuild is a response to... what exactly, wanting to boost merchandise? NGE was hardly that powerful anymore in the public conscious, and the announcement of a remake came as a huge surprise. So if Anno decided to have it be some message for fans about letting go of nostalgia, Anno dude, they weren't the ones who couldn't move on.

Say what you will about the original series, it was someone very earnestly pouring their heart out. This Rebuild feels like a cynical attempt to recapture ones glory, or someone just not knowing who they are without their accidental magnum opus.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Say what you will about the original series, it was someone very earnestly pouring their heart out. This Rebuild feels like a cynical attempt to recapture ones glory, or someone just not knowing who they are without their accidental magnum opus.
The last one is him pouring his heart out. It is more a sequel to End, in that it an exploration of themes that were explored in end, but now after years of therapy and sporting a new sort of attitude. It doesn't quite reach the height of end due to the middling middle part, but besides that 3.0+1.0 is a genuinely heartfelt movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The last one is him pouring his heart out. It is more a sequel to End, in that it an exploration of themes that were explored in end, but now after years of therapy and sporting a new sort of attitude. It doesn't quite reach the height of end due to the middling middle part, but besides that 3.0+1.0 is a genuinely heartfelt movie.
I haven't seen it, so I can't say. I'm only responding to the OP saying the movie is all about telling fans to let go of nostalgia, which if so feels a little dumb since Anno is the one who drudged this whole thing back up.

Ultimately though I can't say I care much for watching this last movie, since what came before amounted to very little. The first two movies were a retelling of most of the original show, without any of the teeth or guts the show had. And the third movie had an extremely interesting beginning which it then quickly spoils so Shinji and Koaru can be all cute together.

The original show and EoE will always be great to me, the Rebuilds were just a candied version of it - Nice to see in HD, but that's about as far as my appreciation for it goes.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
"Evangelion 3.0 + 1"?

The fuck kind of name is that?

Im not an Evangelion guy, but does this name actually mean something?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"Evangelion 3.0 + 1"?

The fuck kind of name is that?

Im not an Evangelion guy, but does this name actually mean something?
Evangelion 3.0 + 1= Evangelion 4.0!

:geek:

Other than that, I got nothing. It's the equivalent of those weird, nonsensical, and pretentious titles Kingdom Hearts would come up after the second game.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Around the 1:53 minute mark I legitimately got so bored I kinda spaced out. I think that was around the time they starting to doing the lengthy homage to old 70s space battle anime with the silly uplifting "we can do this!" music which seemed jarringly out of place. It didn't get interesting again for another 20 minutes.

I don't hate myself for sticking with it. The ending was at least unexpected, but the whole thing was kind of indicative of why I've never been an Eva fan despite appreciating some things about it. There is just too much fluff that, to me, seems desperate to seem meaningful without actually earning it. At one point they yammer on about all the spears, but oh no there's another spear! and something something about an imaginary Eva and that's fine, but when was the build up? When was any of this earned? Someone earlier said this is all about the characters, ok then why do we need about this trash that has no relevance? It's just gaudy filler like the millions of Evas. The kitchen sink really went into these film's. The thing is I've seen all this done better and actually earned. I think this story could have been told in 2 films and lose nothing.

The ending was interesting, but a let down so much so that I pondered if it was supposed to be another in joke I was supposed to get. If it is the pretentiousness of the author has finally worn off my last nerve and I'm glad the series is over.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Around the 1:53 minute mark I legitimately got so bored I kinda spaced out. I think that was around the time they starting to doing the lengthy homage to old 70s space battle anime with the silly uplifting "we can do this!" music which seemed jarringly out of place. It didn't get interesting again for another 20 minutes.

I don't hate myself for sticking with it. The ending was at least unexpected, but the whole thing was kind of indicative of why I've never been an Eva fan despite appreciating some things about it. There is just too much fluff that, to me, seems desperate to seem meaningful without actually earning it. At one point they yammer on about all the spears, but oh no there's another spear! and something something about an imaginary Eva and that's fine, but when was the build up? When was any of this earned? Someone earlier said this is all about the characters, ok then why do we need about this trash that has no relevance? It's just gaudy filler like the millions of Evas. The kitchen sink really went into these film's. The thing is I've seen all this done better and actually earned. I think this story could have been told in 2 films and lose nothing.

The ending was interesting, but a let down so much so that I pondered if it was supposed to be another in joke I was supposed to get. If it is the pretentiousness of the author has finally worn off my last nerve and I'm glad the series is over.
This is why I honestly prefer Gurren Lagan. If neon genesis was supposed to be a "deconstruction" (what a pretentious phrase), then Gurren Lagan was a reconstruction. A reconstruction of everything beautiful about anime. Hope, perseverance, overcoming odds, friendshipe, giant cool robots, and a plot thats deep without being pretentious and random. I liked EVA growing up, but looking back, so much of it didn't mean anything. Like, it wanted to make this grand statement about religion, but then it just didn't. What was the point? No real themes at all. Meanwhile, gurren lagan holds up so much better, with far more complex and likeable characters, and a story that actually makes sense.

Last edited:

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Evangelion will always suck in my eyes. They should have stopped at 2.0 and been done with it. Almost none of the original people at Gainax work there anymore. A majority of them went to form Studio Trigger and they're better off for it. Gainax has nothing left period. All their other properties are either too niche, came and gone, or they don't want to continue it, because the talent for it all left 10 years ago. Just end and die already. There's nothing left for this series. You made a major impact, you got a whole bunch of clones to follow you and try to "deconstruct" everything, you have the era of reconstruction, and then you had 2.0.

Just stop 🛑

Gainax has been garbage for a long time. They haven't made anything good since madoka magica. Can anyone even name a new gainax anime? Anno should really leave the studio like all of the other talented staff. At this point, I think anno is just staying there to collect an easy paycheck. How long did he take to make the last rebuild film? 7 or 8 years? During which he made nothing? And what did he make inbetween EoE and the first rebuild? There was a period of over ten years where he made nothing. Gainax is his private little fiefdom where they can sit around and collect Eva money, and stay in business. But Eva isn't relevent anymore, since other, better anime have replaced it. So now they had to throw out some new shitty movies every once in a while to keep the cash rolling in. Look at how bad the CG is. It's cheap and clearly rushed by a studio that doesn't care about fans or quality. Meanwhile, studio trigger has been knocking it out of the park with masterpiece after masterpiece, because the actual talented members of gainax kept wanting to make kick ass anime instead of pretentious waffle.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Meanwhile, studio trigger has been knocking it out of the park with masterpiece after masterpiece, because the actual talented members of gainax kept wanting to make kick ass anime instead of pretentious waffle.
I'm more than happy to hear the praising of Studio Triggers and their works, but I thought you dislike them entirely. I know I don't like all their works and I don't care for certain ones, but even some of the ones I don't like can still be entertaining. What changed your tune?

Last edited:

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Eva the TV series is kind of a shambolic, nonsensical mess that's literally falling apart by the end, and is capped off by the absolute insanity that is The End of Evangelion. But, then, you look at it, and here's the thing, it just sort of is. I wouldn't label it a masterpiece because it is too flawed for that, but it is a properly unforgettable one of a kind piece of work. Evangelion didn't a remake because ultimately it did the best possible job of being itself, in all it's wobbly and unpolished glory.

Then again I thought Trigger/Cloverworks very silly Eva homage Darling in the FranXX was brilliant when everyone else thought it was shit, so what do I know?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then again I thought Trigger/Cloverworks very silly Eva homage Darling in the FranXX was brilliant when everyone else thought it was shit, so what do I know?
Honestly, the people hating on that show were most likely burned Eva fans. I know Mother's Basement went through the crapper on that anime and start complaining about a whole bunch of "plot holes". Butt fuck acts like he's the to be all and the voice all of all things anime. Also, it got very popular and hyped at the time, and it's just one of those cases of people hating on things to be popular. I have no interest in Darling, but I can see the appeal to it. It definitely has a sizable fan base