Critical Security Update for All Apple Devices

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Apple was never impervious to stuff like that or viruses etc etc. They were just such a small part of the market that no one really bothered making things for them. At least, that was the common wisdom, since they also did that "apple doesn't get viruses" ad campaign. Once users started installing 3rd party anti-virus they found that they indeed had viruses and other malware, usually more then windows since they thought they didn't need protection.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Apple was never impervious to stuff like that or viruses etc etc. They were just such a small part of the market that no one really bothered making things for them.
"Security through obscurity" is the common term, and it's also a considerable part of what protects Linux. The bigger you get, the more lucrative a target you are, and the more work the bad guys will put into breaking your shit. And there is no code so secure that it can't be broken- if it is made by human hands, it can be unmade by human hands.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
"Security through obscurity" is the common term, and it's also a considerable part of what protects Linux. The bigger you get, the more lucrative a target you are, and the more work the bad guys will put into breaking your shit. And there is no code so secure that it can't be broken- if it is made by human hands, it can be unmade by human hands.
It is a kinda crappy way to handle security. I mean it can work, but it will only work for a certain amount of time and your product isn't being tested so you will probably have more security holes. Plus, it trains users to ignore security and training them back can be really hard.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
@ everyone above yeah that’s understood. I recall years ago, like when XP was still the most used OS, security firms detailing how easy it would be to exploit Mac/IOS and how superficial their implementations were next to Microsoft’s. I also wonder if something like Linux is also “protected” because it’s most popular with a lot of users with the know-how. Most typical (read: casual and therefore most vulnerable) computer users are now mobile-based and are likely unaware Linux is still even a thing.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Problem with Apple devices?

Seems rather fruity. Sounds like they've got worms. Hope things don't go pear shaped. I can only hope they can root it out, or if not, that the apple falls far from the tree.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
@ everyone above yeah that’s understood. I recall years ago, like when XP was still the most used OS, security firms detailing how easy it would be to exploit Mac/IOS and how superficial their implementations were next to Microsoft’s. I also wonder if something like Linux is also “protected” because it’s most popular with a lot of users with the know-how. Most typical (read: casual and therefore most vulnerable) computer users are now mobile-based and are likely unaware Linux is still even a thing.
Android is based off Linux, so I don’t think that last part is true. Also Linux/Unix is vulnerable because while Windows makes up like 98% of end user computing; i.e. people at desks, the former make up a very significant percentage of backend computing that helps run the end user stuff. In fact I think it’s becoming popular to run all your servers on some Unix based OS and just run scalable virtual machines of the servers you actually need across all the distributed hardware so you can assign resources (CPU cores, Ram, storage) as you need it remotely rather than having to actually go to your data centre and install physical equipment (except in cases of dead hardware). I think that’s how Amazon Web Services works.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker