Windows 11 is out!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So you eager beavers. Windows 11 has finally released, and there was much rejoicing. yay. Anyway, for the most part it sounds like a decent OS, although the big neat things won't really be out for a few months yet.

If you want to get it now, you can download the health tool that will tell you how much you can't run it, from here.

Like seriously, not even my microsoft surface has a supported CPU so I can't even test it out.

Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Those who are buying new prebuilt PCs for gaming may want to avoid it- Microsoft is likely to permanently enable Virtualization-Based Security, which will run programs in "virtual machines" (a.k.a. "sandboxes") which is great for security but terrible for performance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Microsoft is through with trying to secure their code, and they're putting the onus on us and our hardware instead.

Reactions: Gatuno

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Those who are buying new prebuilt PCs for gaming may want to avoid it- Microsoft is likely to permanently enable Virtualization-Based Security, which will run programs in "virtual machines" (a.k.a. "sandboxes") which is great for security but terrible for performance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Microsoft is through with trying to secure their code, and they're putting the onus on us and our hardware instead.
You say permanently enabled. The article says enabled by default. Enabled by default implies that a savvy consumer may switch it off should it displease them. And boutique builders - where any gamer worth their salt will likely buy a prebuilt if they must - will do a clean installation which does not enable the feature unless you ask it to be.

I’m sensing if not a nothing burger, a very minor problem that some early adopter hero will have a how to guide ready and waiting for the masses to get around it by month’s end.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Hold off on upgrading to windows 11 if you have a Ryzen CPU.

If you’re running Windows 11 on an AMD Ryzen chip, brace yourself for slight performance dips. AMD says it’s uncovered a mysterious issue in its processors that can trigger “reduced performance in certain applications” on Windows 11, which launched on Tuesday.

The chip maker’s support document indicates that all AMD processors officially compatible with Windows 11 are affected. For consumers, these chips go back to 2018's Ryzen 2000 series.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

So no mod organizer 2. Damn it.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Hold off on upgrading to windows 11 if you have a Ryzen CPU.

Argh. Will do.
I will likely never upgrade, but do a new build in 2023 and start fresh with Windows 11. My hope is that they fix this by then. I imagine 10 will still be supported up until then (Windows 7 was supported till around 2020) and I want to have the option to stay with AMD if I want to do so (currently got a 1700 going on 4 years in age and running well.)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, I can still run my original plan and test it on my laptop since that's running an i7 and not a Ryzen. And if the laptop complains I can just blow it back to factory defaults and start again.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Ha, the Health Tool thing doesn't even work on my PC because I have too many Windows services disabled.

Well, it's not hard to be secure, literally don't go to sketchy websites, don't download random email attachments, and that's like it. I haven't run an antivirus in like 20 years now, I even have Windows Defender disabled along with Windows Update, Security Center, etc.

1633725721595.png

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
For me windows is just a tool. I only upgrade when theres an explicit reason to and I immediately disable anything not critical to the system and install windows classic shell. You can imagine how hard it was to pry Windows 7 out of my hands, as it was with XP SP4 and Windows 2000. Who wants menus? Me, now fuck off. Hell Id run everything in CLI if I could.

Same old story, I'll patiently wait until they maliciously break something in windows 10 to force me to upgrade.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
For me windows is just a tool. I only upgrade when theres an explicit reason to and I immediately disable anything not critical to the system and install windows classic shell. You can imagine how hard it was to pry Windows 7 out of my hands, as it was with XP SP4 and Windows 2000. Who wants menus? Me, now fuck off. Hell Id run everything in CLI if I could.

Same old story, I'll patiently wait until they maliciously break something in windows 10 to force me to upgrade.
I like the Open-Shell start menu myself, old structure but new look. I ran with Win7 for so long but I really can't imagine going back, it just looks so old now. You can really get Win10 very lean and mean, but it takes quite a bit more time and effort than it should. I got Win10 booting with only using 1.6 GB of RAM with 60-something processes on my desktop, a bit more on my laptop cuz wireless and bluetooth and stuff. I really don't get the home user updating anything unless something's not working and an update might fix something or some new feature you'd use. Updates have a greater chance of breaking something than fixing something considering you probably don't have anything that's broken. And then people have to wait for their computer to update to use it quite often, that's a load of bullshit, a computer should never be unusable unless you gave it your permission to update and restart and everything.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Would have loved to try out Windows 11, just to look at all the pretty new colors, alas my 8 year old rickety laptop doesn't support TPM2.0 and the CPU is not supported either.

Shame, maybe I'll get to try it in another 8 years or so.

I do like how they expanded the Snap feature with having preset layouts to choose from.

None of the computers I have, have supported cpus either. Which sucks since I'm IT and was hoping to get some hands on at least for my clients. Wasn't going to move my desktop to it but I wanted to put it on my surface.

Topaz

Surprise Mechanic
Legacy
Mar 31, 2020
Is that old saying still true, where every version of Windows always seems to alternate between good and bad?

Either way, I'm getting Vista vibes from this. ie: an unnecessarily large UI overhaul, and some hefty system requirements. Well, maybe "hefty" isn't the right word, but it still requires updated hardware that I imagine most people don't have.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Aren't the Verge those guys that made that really widely mocked and parodied PC build video that was just, wrong on almost all levels?
They are, yup. And the guy who did the vid still gets people on Twitter commenting on it to this day

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Aren't the Verge those guys that made that really widely mocked and parodied PC build video that was just, wrong on almost all levels?
No clue, but it's just a registry key entry that almost certainly works. People act like the registry is so dangerous when that's hardly the case, just don't go randomly pressing delete and you ain't gonna break anything. If you start randomly deleting stuff in file explorer, you'll break shit too. And if you're so concerned about breaking your system via the registry, image the C: drive beforehand.

Have fun potentially having to dick around every time they roll out updates and they decide to hard-not support unsupported hardware.
Did you not see the picture of my desktop's Services screen a few posts up? I have updates completely disabled on my PCs. Not getting Windows Updates is a FEATURE of not getting constantly bugged and having forced restarts and whatnot. What's so important about getting updates for a home user? They really only have a chance of breaking your computer because I'm guessing right now, your computer is working fine, right? So an update is either gonna keep your computer running fine or break it. So even if that's a 1 in a million chance of breaking your PC, why take that chance? For added security that won't even apply to your environment? There's plenty of horror stories you can read online about Windows 10 updates in infinite loops where people can't use their computers. Also, Windows 11 is not gonna stop actually supporting say a 5-year Core i5 CPU you might have, it will still work just fine 10 years from now, it's just that Microsoft would like you to have a CPU that has certain features, it's not they would ever take that functionality away, they'll just keep putting little roadblocks in place to make you think you need to upgrade your PC.

Here's what my Windows Update screen looks like on my PCs.
1633802737693.png