GPU Availability and Pricing Update: Keep Watching…and Waiting

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Coincidentally, AMD has also announced the 6500XT, theoretically launching Jan 19 for MSRP of $199.
This whole chip shortage is just nuts. From your link, " So it's less than two weeks until you too can not buy a graphics card because it's suddenly out of stock. "
Relative of mine sells Mercedes. Sounds like selling graphics cards. They only get a few in at at time to sell as Mercedes has chips in them as well and therefore, there are shortages of those cars too. Then they sell them well over MSRP.
Each console Gen. I've had to wait about 6 months for them to be plentiful. Best Buy around here is still sold out of PS5 consoles 14 months after launch.

I think in this thread, Intel is mentioned as getting into the graphics card game. We can hope so.

EDIT: Reviewing https://www.reuters.com/technology/...s-chips-gamers-effort-take-nvidia-2022-01-04/

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I think in this thread, Intel is mentioned as getting into the graphics card game. We can hope so.
Releasing more gpu models, whether by Nvidia, Amd or Intel, isn't going to resolve the availability problem. There's a general shortage of the silicon semiconductors (and to a somewhat lesser extent of manufacturing capacity) needed to make the chips that go into gpus (and basically all electronics that require them, including modern cars). It's why you see so many tech sites and channels vent their frustration at both Nvidia and Amd putting out yet more SKUs that use the same chipsets their existing gpus use, because their manufacturing partners (Asus, MSI, EVGA, etc) can't produce enough of those cards to meet demand to begin with, and it's basically asking/forcing them to spread themselves even thinner.

In fact, if Intel decides to enter the gpu market, things might actually become bit worse if that silicon shortage drags on and if Intel has no production of its own, because that'll be yet another player vying for the same already limited manufacturing time and resources everyone else wants. Tho even if Intel does have their own production for its gpus, there's still the matter of that silicon shortage, so they'll have divy up what resources they have between the gpu line and every other product line they have, and somehow produce enough stock for all of them. Unless they're secretly sitting on a mountain of silicon, an imo unlikely scenario.

Of course, none of that will matter if Intel's gpus turn out a poor value proposition. Or if the bots snag up all the stock. Or both.

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
They're using parts supplied by the same fabricators that everyone else uses. I'm not holding out a lot of hope. In fact, I've decided that, until these things are actually on shelves rather than in the eBay listings of scalpers, I don't give a damn about any new release.
That's true, TSMC makes chips for basically everyone, and there's only so much production capacity to go around. Hence my previous post.

Kind of interesting to hear what Intel could bring to the table and dream, but it'll still be just dreaming.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Games Done Quick is having a $250 raffle for a 3070TI with an irrelevant but decent computer wrapped around it. And by "raffle" I mean "donate a total of $250 during the marathon"

Less a realistic chance of getting a card and more a promotion for the event

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I wonder how that stacks up against the 3080Ti which if I remember ALSO has 12GB of VRAM.
Well, compared to the 3080ti it's got the same memory bus, sightly faster boost clock but slightly lower base clock, and some 1300 cuda cores less. My guess is it'll be somewhere between og 3080 and 3080ti, but closer to the 3080. Like, only a little bit better, kind of like how the 3070ti is only a little bit better than the regular 3070.

Either way, from the looks of it, not great value. And that's before tax and probably also price gouging.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, compared to the 3080ti it's got the same memory bus, sightly faster boost clock but slightly lower base clock, and some 1300 cuda cores less. My guess is it'll be somewhere between og 3080 and 3080ti, but closer to the 3080. Like, only a little bit better, kind of like how the 3070ti is only a little bit better than the regular 3070.

Either way, from the looks of it, not great value. And that's before tax and probably also price gouging.
Christ, in any other time a release slate like this, with such tiny performance gaps/deltas or whatever metric they use, nVidia would have been raked over the coals. Even at the theoretical MSRP some of these variants are shit value, never mind the insane prices they’re going for in reality.

The RTX40XX series launch is going to need to be fucking spectacular, affordable and available to make up for this.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Christ, in any other time a release slate like this, with such tiny performance gaps/deltas or whatever metric they use, nVidia would have been raked over the coals. Even at the theoretical MSRP some of these variants are shit value, never mind the insane prices they’re going for in reality.

The RTX40XX series launch is going to need to be fucking spectacular, affordable and available to make up for this.
Thing is, Nvidia has no real incentive to do anything about the current situation.

Aside from the limited production run founders cards, Nvidia makes most of its money from selling its designs. Why should they care about terrible availability? That's a problem for the manufacturing partners, not them. They get their money either way. Why should they care about price gouging, and bots and miners snagging up all the stock? That's a problem for the retailers, not them. They get their money either way.

And besides, each time they announce a new cards or piece of tech, their stonks go up, shareholders happy.