What are you currently playing?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Kaze and the Wild Masks - Freedom Planet is considered a throwback to old school Sonic games. Then this game I am playing is the retro throwback to Donkey Kong Country and it is awesome. This is the second DKC style game, with Yooka-Laylee & The Impossible Lair being the first. Kaze I consider better for me. Tried Impossible Lair, and it did not work for me.
Oh right. I've been meaning to grab that one. I wasn't too into DKC, but I also don't really like the 2d sonic games, but I loved Freedom Planet, maybe Kaze can get me into the more DKC style games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
When I embarked on my replay of Sekiro (PC version) I had Lady Butterfly and Genichiro on my mind as peak all-time boss fights I wanted to replay. Having defeated them, I remember that they are pretty early in the game and at how much I like the earlier parts with the warriors and sword bosses more than the gank areas with apes and monsters later on.
My enthusiasm for more Sekiro now deflated, I re-upped by Gamepass sub and installed Mortal Kombat 11 and Forza Horizon 5 for some big dumb gaming fun and pretty visuals. I never even played a Forza 'cause, you know, cars, whatever... but I'll give it a look-see why not. MK should be fun for a bit of nostalgia.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Lost my win streak on Nethack, dang. Died to a gargoyle on the third floor of Sokoban who tore through my AC of 1 Barbarian. Was really unlucky that run and found basically nothing good for the entire run. Went down to mine town which turned out to be Orctown and I wasn't able to make it to the altar to BUC identify my stuff. Was pretty sure I had some holy water to bless my scrolls and get some good identifying going on. But no, Orc captains were too tough for me, and a surprise gargoyle was too much.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Up to Chapter 9 of Genealogy of the Holy War now. This chapter has three new characters to recruit, and one of them is fairly easy, even if it looks kinda like you failed: as usual, have her brother talk to her and she'll (eventually) join you. The other two make sense once you know the trick, but you have to know it first: don't take the first castle you come to (because that will automatically delete all units tied to it that are still alive) and instead run to the second on the map, then have the character you recruit there come back and talk to their (adoptive) dad.

The hard part is trying to keep that third character from killing either you or himself, and this is something you might not even realize is a thing in the game if you're a little too good at it: When you take out every unit in an enemy squadron except its commander, sometimes they'll stop fighting you to run back to their base castle for reinforcements. Take out all of Dad's units except him, then surround him with your units he can't move through and won't attack because his priority is to retreat, and you're golden. As long as you don't need the units blocking him in for anything else later.

Also, these three are the last recruitable characters in the game. You've got your whole army built up after this.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Been playing a lot of FF14. Despite being a fan for years, this is the first time I've gotten past A Realm Reborn. The downsides of leveling up literally every job at the same time. Also, there a *massive* postgame sequence between A Realm Reborn and Heavensward, which I have to remind myself is because of years between releases. Because goddamn.

Also Aurelia, an early access game like Rogue Legacy. Adult game but gorgeous pixel art

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Been playing a lot of FF14. Despite being a fan for years, this is the first time I've gotten past A Realm Reborn. The downsides of leveling up literally every job at the same time. Also, there a *massive* postgame sequence between A Realm Reborn and Heavensward, which I have to remind myself is because of years between releases. Because goddamn.

Also Aurelia, an early access game like Rogue Legacy. Adult game but gorgeous pixel art
As good as I've heard FF14 is, the sheer amount of content between the base game and all the expansions feels like it's just way too much, especially since the plot apparently doesn't really get going until after the base game content which accounts for like 20-30 hours, IIRC. And then I look at my poor backlog......

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
As good as I've heard FF14 is, the sheer amount of content between the base game and all the expansions feels like it's just way too much, especially since the plot apparently doesn't really get going until after the base game content which accounts for like 20-30 hours, IIRC. And then I look at my poor backlog......
Like, I never stopped having fun but the level 54 class quests for Samurai and Red Mage are kicking my ass because I only have access to level 50 gear and I'd really like to be a Dark Knight please.

Props for the post-endgame content, but it's a bit of a slog when you're playing catch-up. Playing it live would've been fantastic

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
When I embarked on my replay of Sekiro (PC version) I had Lady Butterfly and Genichiro on my mind as peak all-time boss fights I wanted to replay. Having defeated them, I remember that they are pretty early in the game and at how much I like the earlier parts with the warriors and sword bosses more than the gank areas with apes and monsters later on.
My enthusiasm for more Sekiro now deflated, I re-upped by Gamepass sub and installed Mortal Kombat 11 and Forza Horizon 5 for some big dumb gaming fun and pretty visuals. I never even played a Forza 'cause, you know, cars, whatever... but I'll give it a look-see why not. MK should be fun for a bit of nostalgia.
At this point I’m guessing any version of MK11 available is the Ultimate that includes Aftermath expansion correct? Have fun in the story mode. Also, I really liked the Towers of Time. Between those two you should get plenty of koin to unlock most of what’s in the krypt. The heart chests typically have the best character-specific loot.

On topic, at the Deathshead fight in Wolfenstein TNO. He’s proving to be a PITA on Death Incarnate difficulty. Probably the first encounter I’ve had to retry more than half a dozen times. I saw a video where you can cheese him from under the steps even on Uber but depending on where he is it’s not consistent enough to be worthwhile IME. Plus you still need to run out to recharge the gun anyways. Looks like I’m stuck playing cat and mouse.

All in all it’s been a fun game but definitely too long and samey feeling for a linear shooter. Killzone 2’s campaign is still tops for me for its intensity, length, pacing and overall detailed presentation. I do like the gunplay here though, but the looting has gotten to be tedious and trivial considering aside from ammo restock you’re mostly just boosting armor or health so you did in four or five hits and not one or two.

It actually makes me question how practical health pack design is vs recharging health in action-focused shooter games like this where it’s not really about tactical “survival” anyways, like a STALKER or even Metro. Most of the time when I’m low on health I just end up retreating back to a safe point and baiting the heavies or whoever from behind cover, because fuck being aggressive when you have to repeat long sections and re-loot everything the way some of these checkpoints are allotted.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
At this point I’m guessing any version of MK11 available is the Ultimate that includes Aftermath expansion correct? Have fun in the story mode. Also, I really liked the Towers of Time. Between those two you should get plenty of koin to unlock most of what’s in the krypt. The heart chests typically have the best character-specific loot.
[/quote[

Ok since I haven't started it yet I have no idea what you're talking about but I will for sure remember this post and get back to it when I get there.

So yesterday I was messing about in Sekiro while doing other stuff and did that thing you do in FromSoftware where you step away from a vicious boss fight then come back nonchalantly and beat it. So fell the Guardian Ape, and my passion for Sekiro was reignited. I was catching up on Escapist streams and videos while dying over and over again at some of the annoying spots that made me consider quitting: the Snake Eyes minibosses, the other freaking ape fight, even a headless ape. I'm back in it to win it (with the Rejuvination ending because I can't resist air slamming that big snake).

I also fired up Forza Horizon 5 and... yeah, racing games are just not for me. It sure looks pretty, though.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
FInished Heaven's Vault. A lot more interesting then I gave it credit for. It leans heavy on story and atmosphere, particularly peeling back the layers of history of the Nebula(as the area of space is known) much of it is "Go here, walk around, look at stuff to advance story" but there are small side quests of a sort and taking the time to look at everything you can and explore can go a long way towards explaining just what's going on. However, the main gameplay element of deciphering the constructed language known as "Ancient" is a full fledged gameplay mechanic and the inscriptions you find as you go on get longer and more complex, so you're expected to learn as many words as you can along the way and even then some of the endgame stuff is still extremely difficult if not unsolvable. It's satisfying and intriguing enough I probably spent a lot more time then I meant to just trying to get new words and so I could read more stuff because that's the big way you get the games backstory. Basically the most valuable things in the game are another inscription to translate(which are all helpfully recorded so you can go back and solve them later when you've learned more Ancient, so you don't need to keep going back to the same places).

Interestingly, when you get to the endgame, it feels really short and truncated, like you're presented with a small choice and then the game ends. However, one of those choices triggers a NG+ cycle where all the ancient you've learned carries over, the map stats explored(at least the paths do, which is a bit of a timesaver) and it seems some of the stuff is now presented differently, but the inscriptions are different and more complex, presumably revealing more of what's going on. So presumably you have to play the game at least twice to get the full experience. And I do want to play it again, but I'm gonna take a break and play some other games so I can come back to it fresh.

Interestingly, the NG+ is actually tied to the story because the dominant religion of the game is called Loopism, the belief that the past is the future and the future is the past, that everyone eventually reincarnates and everything happens over and over again(though some people take to some lengths). It's flat out stated to you that the Nebula has seen a series of civilizations rise and then fall, one after another and thus if past and future are the same, then another fall is coming up soon and maybe if you knew how you could prepare for the next one, though just how that works is unclear.

It's a really interesting and unique game from the people who made 80 days and Overboard and while it's definitely not a game for everyone, it's doing something different and pulling it off pretty well, not to mention probably being a more accurate depiction of archaeology then most media examples.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
After multiple recommendations by STeam, finally started playing Slay the Spire. It...may have been a mistake. I love roguelikes, and that game rivals Hades in terms of "just one more run."

Meshakhad

Legacy
Sep 29, 2020
Country
Combined Syndicates of America
I just got back into EVE Online. Got lost in wormhole space, got rescued by other players, made it out with a crapload of salvage.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Played a really interesting little adventure game called "If on a Winter's Night: 4 Travelers". It's basically a collection of 3 small stories told by travelers who have found themselves on a mysterious train traveling through a snowy tundra in the 1920's, where everyone is wearing animal carnivale masks but nobody seems to remember boarding the train. This is the frame set up and an intriguing premise in itself but the stories are well written and executed and none of them overstay their welcome. On the contrary, with the exception of the first one, which unfortunately is the weakest because it takes a good 10 minutes or so to really get going, all of them get to the point quickly so they can explore their themes, which they do very well in some wonderfully rendered pixel art that looks like a 90's era adventure game and all of them hit me right in the feels. The atmosphere is surperb and while the gameplay is fairly minimal, there is a puzzle or two to be had.

If it seems weird to gripe that the first story takes about 10 minutes to get going, each story clocks in about 30 minutes or so, maybe a little more, so 10 minutes is a significant chunk of the runtime. The whole thing can be finished in 2 hours at most, and I honestly wished there was more. It feels like a prologue to a larger game, but it was made by a 2 person team and they're offering it for free on steam and itch.io. There is a $4 supporters pack which has some goodies but really it's there if you liked it and want to give them some money to support them making more games like this.

Basically, if you like atmospheric adventure games, have 2 hours and want something with some emotional heft, check it out. Also, if you like it, consider throwing $4 at the devs so they can make a follow up.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I beat Etrian Odyssey. Really bummed out because I didn't know they remade the first couple games until I was 80% of the way through it so I just stuck it out and finished it. Very remedial dungeons crawler experience. I enjoyed a lot of it, but the ending was a bit of a slog. I picked Days Gone back up. I enjoy a lot of what Days Gone has to offer, I just wish it were a more compelling story experience.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
My Sekiro replay got as far as the last boss and now my fingers and wrist are cramped, my spine is sore and I still haven't beaten him. I just can't nail down the rhythms of the second phase (1st phase of Ishin himself, but I consider it the 2nd round of the fight because you have to fight Genichiro first).
Drives me crazy that I already did this on PS4 but, eh.

I downloaded Scarlet Nexus. It's interesting to me that this game got overwhelmingly positive reviews, is in a very popular style, and didn't make anybody's top whatever 2021 lists or anything. Is it just boring to make a good game or something? Either way I look forward to checking it out myself.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Hitman 3, the "going back to check on updates and next-gen enhancements" edition.
Not sure if am misremembering, but I don't recall any glitchy weirdness like what's been happening lately. Dubai randomly murdered a guard off-screen while I was investigating elsewhere, saying it was spotted and the body was spotted, but the mini video in the top left screen just show him spinning through a black void for seemingly an implied eternity.
Then the next level, Death in the Family, I spent ages doing the investigation and just after all that as I was preparing a beautifully intricate death trap in the old woman's office upstairs, she died of drinking poison downstairs despite me not setting up anything of the sort! Yet the game awarded me with a super silent unobserved assassination anyway? I felt robbed of the perfect murder, and the hollow award didn't make the loss any easier to bear.

Still, the fancy rumble is pretty cool, with crazy stuff like the rave dance level having the music pulse through the pad - soft and subtle at first when you walk in the entrance, growing stronger as you draw closer to the dance floor, then impressively portraying all the different changing vibrations of the particular music tracks playing when you're in the crowd: and not in an overbearing way that makes your paws start to feel fuzzy too, which is highly appreciated consideracy - in the face of all the attractive visual upgrades I am still most affected by this snazzy yet unnecessary detail cause am a simple creature of sensual sensations delighted by fresh fancies.

Tonight am planning on trying the Shadowman Remastered edition, but am feeling apprehensive as to how much of it may have aged badly since the many years since first playing, aside the obvious graphics and combat. It was the first game I owned, alongside Mario Kart and Body Harvest when a pre-owned N64 was handed down to me as a bored idiot youngling. All I remember is loving the atmosphere but having no idea where I was going and everything being difficult with no clear goals. However, things are different now...I've completed games! Like, difficult games, damnit! Am buying it in the hopes maybe it contributes to someone somewhere with the money and the rights possibly seeing a point in a full modern remake or reimagining of the world. It would very much suit the Dark Souls/Demon Souls type genre quite well I reckon, with a few tweaks here and there. I can but hope.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Finished Wolfenstein: TNO the other night. Last checkpoint of the fight against Deathshead required the most continues by far on Death Incarnate difficulty, and I suppose that makes sense but it didn’t feel like the best fight in the game. At least his hits were easy enough to avoid running around between charge stations, but the fight felt anticlimactic overall. Much preferred the London Monitor mech thing, as it felt more like David vs Goliath and was fun darting in and out of tunnels against its massive artillery strikes. Then having to stun it and dash underneath to finish it off was the cherry on top.

That was the high point of the game and I’d have almost preferred if it just ended there. The space stuff with moon gravity was brief and underutilized, while the interior gameplay felt like it was just dragging things out. There really wasn’t much to do there and the actual shootouts were kind of tedious. The last one before Deathshead I felt like the game’s design choice of using health packs kinda broke down, as I just ended up backtracking and camping when low on health and cheesing the last round of heavies and grunts to pick off from relative safety. No way was I going to start that fight over anymore by being more aggressive, since all the armor pieces and health you need to loot individually still feels trivial while subsequently running into a handful of well-placed shots by a group of baddies.

I actually went right back into DOOM 2016 immediately after and was swiftly reminded why I prefer it. Still health packs and armor, but its design encourages aggressive play more since glory kills yield a bunch of health to get back into favorable position even if you’re near death. Staying mobile is also more viable as the enemies’ shots are far more visible, reactive and therefore avoidable. The gameplay loop is pure adrenaline peppered with brief moments of reprieve and opportunities to explore, discovering backstory, etc. It also has amazing atmosphere and ambience to make the environments shine. Looking forward to DOOM: Eternal after this but will probably reinstall The Evil Within to finish first.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I've made it to the final chapter of Genealogy of the Holy War, and most of my guys are fairly close to the level cap, like at level 27-29 out of 30. I know that the game has saved its best BS for last, but at this point, it'd be a shame not to finish. I'm pretty sure I've got everything I need to make it through somehow.

Don't know what I'm going to play once that's finished. I never thought I'd get far enough to finish it to begin with.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
When quoting someone, please make sure that you don't delete the code block at the top that looks like:

[QUOTE="Old_Hunter_77, post: 13187996, member: 217429"]

and that the quote ends with [/QUOTE]

If you don't the person won't be notified that you are replying to them and it's hard to tell who you are talking to. You can click preview to check to see if the post is displaying correctly before you post it. With how the forum collapses quotes there really isn't a need to trim down your replies, so it's perfectly acceptable just to leave the whole quote intact.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I was playing Arkham Origins in New Game Plus to try to max out the four different challenge tracks. Well, this game just keeps finding new ways to surprise me with its half-assedness, because one of the challenges in the stealth track is to use four specific types of takedowns in a single stealth encounter. The catch? There's literally like two encounters in the entire game where that's even possible, and stealth challenge maps don't count. So I said "screw it". Probably going to uninstall it now. It was a fun enough game, but so half-assed that a half assed review is bluh ble blah blah

In other games I reinstalled New Vegas again, and deleted all the mods I had installed for it. The install directory and Vortex had become such an incomprehensible clusterfuck of files that I literally couldn't start the game due to conflicting mods. I'm hoping that starting on a clean slate might actually make the game run stably this time. I've had something of a conflicted relationship with New Vegas. Over a decade later people are still saying how brilliant it is, but even after 70 hours I remember it being essentially no different from Fallout 3. You can tout its open-endedness all you want, but all the Speech points in the world won't help you in a vault full of giant mantises, and gameplay wise there's no difference between shooting energy weapons vs. normal guns, or whether you're swinging a baseball bat at or a laser sword at an enemy. I'm hoping that if I can get the game to not crash every hour or so I could at least get immersed in the world.

Last edited: