Elden Ring Impressions - It's Got Crafting Now.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Now at 17 hours.

The Boss fights..... OMG, the boss fights are absolutely insane! Just beaten Rennala, Queen Of The First Moon. The second phase was beautiful and I enjoyed a hell out of fighting her.

As for the performance issues, It seems it only happened when fighting tree sentinel. I haven't encountered another boss in the overworld quite like TS, but it was the only mini-boss in the game that was giving me the stutter hiccup.

Bro you did crazy main progress because im loke 12 or so hours in and i have barely beaten margit.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bro you did crazy main progress because im loke 12 or so hours in and i have barely beaten margit.
I'm like 12 hours in and 4 or 5 of those are probably just banging my head on Margit till I finally decided to go do other things and level up my starting weapon some. I don't like how the game kinda hints that you should be going to fight him almost certainly sooner then you are ready for.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When something gets popular enough….
I always hate this dumb line of thinking.

To the fans with their heads up your asses, you don't own the fucking game or franchise! You wanted more people to play your game or take an interest? You got your fucking wish! You got a problem with that? Then I suggest you give up on gaming altogether or play something more obscure. Othewise, quit being a biatch and let other people have their own fun, while you have yours.

Reactions: Dalisclock

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Summons, my friend. I used both the NPC summon by the door and the Lone Wolf Pack spirit summon. They helped immensely to draw the attention away from him.

Lone Wolf Pack is the only spirit summon I've used so far, and while they don't do high damage, they make fighting a hoard of mobs easy. The only downside is they can get in your away, and may mess up your positioning

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

To the fans with their heads up your asses, you don't own the fucking game or franchise! You wanted more people to play your game or take an interest? You got your fucking wish! You got a problem with that? Then I suggest you give up on gaming altogether or play something more obscure. Othewise, quit being a biatch and let other people have their own fun, while you have yours.
The message system was ruined LONG before this. I've played through all the Soulsborne games except Demons Souls and most of the messages are not to be trusted,

"Horse But Hole"

And yeah, people who want something to be more popular and then complain when it becomes more popular can fuck right off.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The message system was ruined LONG before this. I've played through all the Soulsborne games except Demons Souls and most of the messages are not to be trusted,
Well, to be fair, there's usually compensatory messages next to the dodgy ones, saying stuff like "Liar ahead" or "Do not trust liar" or something else along those lines. But in Elden Ring they've perhaps compensated to the point where I'm often only seeing the "don't trust liar" messages a couple of feet away from a wall where no other message is to be seen, yet is assumed the troll messages just haven't loaded yet.
I don't know if this is also a troll, but I keep getting highly rated messages in the hub area saying to use gestures by every locked door. No gesture seems to work for me, but no counter messages appear neither, so am assuming it must just be a weirdly popular form of troll message now.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I'm just poppin in here to say, that from the looks of it, Elden Ring looks like a great Soulsborne to start with, provided you have a LOT of spare time on you, and i regret i don't have anything that can reasonably run it. That is all.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

The thing is that they want these new people to play the exact same way they themselves play. Anything else is "impure" and "ruins the game forever".

Fanboys are forever craving self-validation through the things they identify with, and they can never have enough.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Got to the first major boss and shocked myself by beating it 1st try. I honestly dont know how it happened tbh.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

"Horse But Hole"

And yeah, people who want something to be more popular and then complain when it becomes more popular can fuck right off.
The thing is that they want these new people to play the exact same way they themselves play. Anything else is "impure" and "ruins the game forever".

Fanboys are forever craving self-validation through the things they identify with, and they can never have enough.

I don't think that was the intent of the message; more that frustration has sunk in over the message system being abused by idiots than anything. Sure, there were always a few jokers but if the vast majority of "hints" now leads to death (ie the "everyone thinks they're a comedian now" comment) then it's like really, grow up people. It's gotten toxic and I'd say that most people would rather the games stayed a bit more obscure if this bs is the alternative.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I don't think that was the intent of the message; more that frustration has sunk in over the message system being abused by idiots than anything. Sure, there were always a few jokers but if the vast majority of "hints" now leads to death (ie the "everyone thinks they're a comedian now" comment) then it's like really, grow up people. It's gotten toxic and I'd say that most people would rather the games stayed a bit more obscure if this bs is the alternative.
I guess I should ask how bad invasions are in ER because I honestly have a lot more issues with griefing then trolling yet the fanbase often defends the griefing mechanic. It's one of many reasons I refuse to touch DS2 again because it felt like griefer heaven

I can ignore bad advice. I can't ignore some asshole dropping in to ruin my game of which I have no way to escape beyond quit out of the game

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Summons, my friend. I used both the NPC summon by the door and the Lone Wolf Pack spirit summon. They helped immensely to draw the attention away from him.

Lone Wolf Pack is the only spirit summon I've used so far, and while they don't do high damage, they make fighting a hoard of mobs easy. The only downside is they can get in your away, and may mess up your positioning

Have you tried them with the Stonedigger Troll? Let's just say he gets very, very angry that you sicked them on him. Literally stomps the shit out of them, but at least they pitch a decent chunk of damage.

In case anyone hasn't beaten the troll yet,
He's pretty vulnerable to blunt force weapons, and the jumping R2 is your best friend in this fight. I struggled a half dozen times (although being Wretch class I pretty much fought him at a level comparable to what the other start at) until I tried that and was like why the hell didn't I do this in the first place.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I guess I should ask how bad invasions are in ER because I honestly have a lot more issues with griefing then trolling yet the fanbase often defends the griefing mechanic.

I can ignore bad advice. I can't ignore some asshole dropping in to ruin my game of which I have no way to escape beyond quit out of the game

I haven't been invaded yet but yeah, that shit gets old especially if they use exploits or hacks. I don't mind fair and square but there's no excuse for crap beyond that.
Some info about invasions for the time being -
Can invasion be turned off in Elden Ring? How to avoid it? (gamingdope.com)

I think they might tweak how this works in online mode though too, kinda like being hollow or whatever prevents it in the DS games.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I guess I should ask how bad invasions are in ER because I honestly have a lot more issues with griefing then trolling yet the fanbase often defends the griefing mechanic. It's one of many reasons I refuse to touch DS2 again because it felt like griefer heaven

I literally never read the messages because they are a waste of time 100% of the time.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
One of the defenses I've seen for it is "well, you can do it too". Which really reinforced my opinion of the greater DS community as a bunch of assholes who think that being assholes is not only acceptable, but laudable.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
One of the defenses I've seen for it is "well, you can do it too". Which really reinforced my opinion of the greater DS community as a bunch of assholes who think that being assholes is not only acceptable, but laudable.
I know in Dark Souls 2 I would wait until an invader was almost within striking distance and "oops, my internet cut off. Don't know how that happened". I recall some invaders getting this multiple times and getting pissed at me.

Dude, you broke into my house. You have no right to complain about falling in the tiger pit I just put there. Multiple times

One of the most entertaining bits of DS2 for me.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It’s sucks because there are still legitimate good fans, but the marketing bs behind all the “git gud” crap and foolish focus on difficulty spoiled a lot of the goodwill to be had from earlier games. Demon’s Souls was a breath of fresh air but I think by DS2 a lot of the general attitude changed. Basically it was better before it was “cool” to like Dark Souls.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm stuck on a very large boss who's attacks are impossible to see, so you have to predict your rolls and it's fucking aweful. A lot of these bosses are really not thought out very well. I feel like a lot of Elden Ring was just cobbled together and difficulty added just to troll players. Some of these fights are not skill they are battles against impossible camera angles and guess work. It's really really bad in places, where other places and bosses are great.

I wonder how many of these problems are bloating problems. How manydungeons and bosses are here because they needed to fill this massive map with shit to do just because.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It’s sucks because there are still legitimate good fans, but the marketing bs behind all the “git gud” crap and foolish focus on difficulty spoiled a lot of the goodwill to be had from earlier games. Demon’s Souls was a breath of fresh air but I think by DS2 a lot of the general attitude changed. Basically it was better before it was “cool” to like Dark Souls.
I've met some rather cool people into DS, IRL and on the net, and had some good experiences with co-op in game. However, there's definitely a crowd of genuine dipshits who even now are whining yet again that Invasions aren't fun anymore like they were in DS2 because the invader is likely(by design) to be put up against 2 or 3 people playing co-op.

Hell, ER apparently has a way that people can open themselves up for being invaded without co-op partners and the invaders are mad nobody is using it. I do enjoy watching them cry salty tears over DS/ER not being "Fair" to griefers like themselves.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker