Computer froze.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Just a minute ago, I couldn't click on any tabs in the window I had open or scroll my mouse, so I went into the other window, and I was able to click on tabs.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. Maybe that'll fix the problem.

Last edited:

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I used Device Manager to check for updates, and everything is fine. I also updated Windows.

I guess it's not a driver problem.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Just a minute ago, I couldn't click on any tabs in the window I had open or scroll my mouse, so I went into the other window, and I was able to click on tabs.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. Maybe that'll fix the problem.
What did task manager look like when that happened? When anything odd is happening task manager will usually point you towards the cause. If everything looks fine, CPU or Memory not getting pinged, then it might just be Chrome itself not responding because of being poorly optimized (bad code).

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
What did task manager look like when that happened? When anything odd is happening task manager will usually point you towards the cause. If everything looks fine, CPU or Memory not getting pinged, then it might just be Chrome itself not responding because of being poorly optimized (bad code).
I looked at Task Manager a couple of minutes after it happened, and I didn't see anything wrong.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
When I Googled something just now, the pointer wouldn't turn into a hand, so I couldn't click on links. I could still click on other tabs and windows and click on links there, though, so I guess that's an improvement.

Honestly, this is more annoying than anything else. I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with my computer.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I cleared my cookies and cache data the other day, and updated Windows, and so far, Chrome hasn't hasn't frozen again.

Is it more accurate to say that Chrome froze?

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I cleared my cookies and cache data the other day, and updated Windows, and so far, Chrome hasn't hasn't frozen again.

Is it more accurate to say that Chrome froze?
Sounds like just a Chrome issue to me. When Chrome freezes next time, if you can switch to a different program and it's running fine, then it's Chrome. Checking Task Manager is key though as other things in the background can randomly start using lots of resources like Antimalware Service for Windows Defender or Microsoft Onedrive or Windows updates (or 3rd party programs you might have running that we don't know), and that will impact whatever program you're currently using like Chrome. If you bought a prebuilt PC from like Dell or HP, it usually comes with garbage like McAfee preinstalled. I have all that stuff disabled or removed on my PCs because I don't want or need any that shit. Or it could just be a Chrome issue and you can try using Firefox or a Firefox "fork" like Waterfox as basically every single other browser is chromium based and may have the same issues as Chrome.