WoW's next expansion - Lesson's unlearned.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On Tuesday Blizzard had a livestream about the next expansion for World of Warcraft called Dragonflight. In this new expansion players will be traveling to the Dragon Isles, a location long referenced in the lore, where they will join the Dragon's in controlling the reawakening of this ancient land.

For years now WoW has been on a downward spiral for a lot of reasons. Borrowed power being a giant problem, which basically is a system of growth the players use to gain power in a given expansion that is then tossed away and forgotton about in the next. Legion started this problem by giving players a legendary weapon they would empower for the entire expansion only to have to throw it away at the start of the Battle for Azeroth.

Dragonflight did not reveal any borrowed power system, which is good. The problem is.....the reveal didn't show us anything. It's a few new zones, a new level cap, and a trainable dragon mount that you can use to fly around and do tricks with. That's it. No new features were presented, no talk about new dungeons or raids, no new battle grounds or pvp modes. Nothing.

Blizzard has never ever not shown a bucnh of features coming in an expansion during the reveal. NEVER.

Shadowlands was a fucking failure, so much so that the final patch for the expansion has been cancelled in favor of getting this new expansion out faster. This is not the first time Blizzard has done this, Warlords of Draenor was famously ass and it too also got it's final patch cut in favor of pushing out the next expansion. But never has an expansion been revealed and it shows us nothing, like they completely run out of tricks and have no ideas on what to offer the dropping playerbase to stick around.

Despite the shit Blizzard has been in legally over the past couple years, WoW was a big part of my life and there is still a part of me that wants the game to be good. Everytime WoW news pops out I want to scream as it just doesn't seem like there is anyone left at that company that knows what the FUCK they are doing. Players give feedback that is ignore for no reason other than the dev turning a blind eye to it. And it's just frustrating because it doesn't have to be like this, they have the money and the talent to make the game good again and they just fucking aren't. How can the higher ups not getting pissed off at the teams for not producing? Because the longer this garbage goes on, the more subscribers and overall playerbase they loose.

It just sucks man because it's like watching them make the same mistakes expansion after expansion.

I don't need a controversy to keep me off Blizzard games, Blizzard being genuinely garbage at making games is doing that on it's own.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
All I can say is move on to something else at this point, but it seems like you've already made that decision for yourself. The only way I can see this possibly getting better is when the full transaction is complete between Activision and Microsoft. You shouldn't hold your breath, even for that. Do what I am and most others are doing, and play what makes you happy.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wow already had flying mounts, how does dragons change that?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Wow already had flying mounts, how does dragons change that?
you can do airal tricks with these dragons which will get you places on the map you otherwise couldn't reach.

You can NOT use your normal flying mounts in the expansion.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
you can do airal tricks with these dragons which will get you places on the map you otherwise couldn't reach.

You can NOT use your normal flying mounts in the expansion.
What? But, weren't there even already dragon mounts? Like the netherdrake and I think you could get Onyxia, do those not work anymore?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Thats so dumb. Blizzard is so bad at anything besides graphics and polish.
They aren't even good at polish because most raids launch with bugged boss mechanics. And most expansions ends up with bugged quests.

Blizzard is unriveled when it comes to art direction though. Their art team is fucking top class.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They aren't even good at polish because most raids launch with bugged boss mechanics. And most expansions ends up with bugged quests.

Blizzard is unriveled when it comes to art direction though. Their art team is fucking top class.
I more of meant in the animation department, but you are right about things being a total mess there. My friend was a gm for wow for a bit and has stories about them doing some brew event and it just breaking everything when it launched.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dunno if you made the post before it was revealed but they're bringing talent system back.

Anyway at this point blizzard doesn't have much reason to try and innovate too much with wow, the engine is old and the combat system was made for a time when internet connection were slow and unreliable. People only still play it for nostalgia or out of habit. If they were smart they would start working on a new mmo, but blizzard apparently can only release one game every 5 years and they're working on OW2 now, so won't happen anytime soon.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Dunno if you made the post before it was revealed but they're bringing talent system back.
Pretty much from launch, Blizzard has had no idea how to properly integrate or balance skills between PvE and PvP, and they've steadfastly refused to separate the two. I've long since lost count of how many times they've effectively burned everything to the ground and started over with something that was basically worse than they had before.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Um, you sure your title's apostrophe is where it's meant to be?

Anyway:

no talk about new dungeons or raids,
There's at least eight new dungeons and one new raid confirmed so far.

If they were smart they would start working on a new mmo,
Blizzard's already tried to create a non-WoW MMO at least three times, so I don't think that's going to happen.

Also, that seems like an asinine move. As long as WoW's going, they'd be competing with themselves.

but blizzard apparently can only release one game every 5 years and they're working on OW2 now, so won't happen anytime soon.
Blizzard's working on at least eight games at this time of writing, so...

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
On Tuesday Blizzard had a livestream about the next expansion for World of Warcraft called Dragonflight. In this new expansion players will be traveling to the Dragon Isles, a location long referenced in the lore, where they will join the Dragon's in controlling the reawakening of this ancient land.

For years now WoW has been on a downward spiral for a lot of reasons. Borrowed power being a giant problem, which basically is a system of growth the players use to gain power in a given expansion that is then tossed away and forgotton about in the next. Legion started this problem by giving players a legendary weapon they would empower for the entire expansion only to have to throw it away at the start of the Battle for Azeroth.

Dragonflight did not reveal any borrowed power system, which is good. The problem is.....the reveal didn't show us anything. It's a few new zones, a new level cap, and a trainable dragon mount that you can use to fly around and do tricks with. That's it. No new features were presented, no talk about new dungeons or raids, no new battle grounds or pvp modes. Nothing.

Blizzard has never ever not shown a bucnh of features coming in an expansion during the reveal. NEVER.

Shadowlands was a fucking failure, so much so that the final patch for the expansion has been cancelled in favor of getting this new expansion out faster. This is not the first time Blizzard has done this, Warlords of Draenor was famously ass and it too also got it's final patch cut in favor of pushing out the next expansion. But never has an expansion been revealed and it shows us nothing, like they completely run out of tricks and have no ideas on what to offer the dropping playerbase to stick around.

Despite the shit Blizzard has been in legally over the past couple years, WoW was a big part of my life and there is still a part of me that wants the game to be good. Everytime WoW news pops out I want to scream as it just doesn't seem like there is anyone left at that company that knows what the FUCK they are doing. Players give feedback that is ignore for no reason other than the dev turning a blind eye to it. And it's just frustrating because it doesn't have to be like this, they have the money and the talent to make the game good again and they just fucking aren't. How can the higher ups not getting pissed off at the teams for not producing? Because the longer this garbage goes on, the more subscribers and overall playerbase they loose.

It just sucks man because it's like watching them make the same mistakes expansion after expansion.

I don't need a controversy to keep me off Blizzard games, Blizzard being genuinely garbage at making games is doing that on it's own.
Missed all the stuff about the talent trees coming back and the reveal of the new race and hero class I take it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Are they even good at those lol?
Yeah, well, I mean graphics and animation. They are top tier and there is no debate over that. Everything else they tend to suck at, but you cannot say they are bad at graphics without being wrong.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Fair enough. It’s just something(s) WoW doesn’t seem to be commonly praised for is all.
It’s more because their art team have been carrying the last few expansion packs pretty hard so it’s kind of one of those baseline things people expect from WoW. To have nice cinematics - and fucking boy do they ever - and a really great aesthetic. Graphics themselves have gotten better but you need only play Classic to realise how far that’s actually come. My Night Elf rogue had a face like the bow of an ice breaker until the graphics overhaul in Cataclysm.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yeah, well, I mean graphics and animation. They are top tier and there is no debate over that. Everything else they tend to suck at,
Alright, I know "different strokes, different folks" is a thing that exists, but the claim that Blizzard sucks at everything...that really isn't born out by any objective look.

I mean, leaving aside any personal thoughts, let's look at some objective facts:

-Warcraft: One of the most successful RTS series of all time, especially Warcraft III, which by itself gave rise to the ARTS genre. Look up any list of top RTS games, and you'll see WC3 there somewhere.

-StarCraft: THE most successful RTS series of all time that single-handledly kickstarted the e-sports scene in South Korea, not to mention that SC more or less pioneered its style of sequential campaign storytelling and asymetric factions. SC1 is still played professionally to this day for a reason, and SC2 is in similar company. Similarly to WC3, look up any list of top RTS games, and you'll see SC1 and/or 2 on said list guaranteed.

-Diablo: Practically invented the ARPG genre. D2 built off that, D3 is one of the best-selling games in history. There's a reason why even close to 20 years after its release, you could still find D2 on store shelves (and SC1 and WC3 for that matter).

-World of Warcraft: The most successful MMORPG in history, period. This isn't a statement of subjective quality, this is fact by any metric, including sales, subscriber base, and the influence it had on the genre.

-Hearthstone: One of the most popular, if not THE most popular electronic card games on the market right now.

-Heroes of the Storm: Actually a bit of a blip, but still, one of the most successful MOBAs ever released. It never reached the likes of LoL or Dota 2 in popularity, but it still carved out a niche for itself, and is still going today, albeit in maintenance mode.

-Overwatch: One of the most popular and most successful hero shooters ever, both in terms of sales, pop cultural influence, genre influence, etc.

Again, this is me leaving out any personal thoughts on the matter - no-one's obliged to like any of the games I just mentioned, but to say all of that is garbage...well, that's a pretty big statement. It sort of reminds me of the contrast between "I don't like Sonic games" (perfectly reasonable) vs. "Sonic was never good" (um...). If we assume Blizzard "sucks at everything," then there's presumably a reason why everything I listed was as successful as it was despite the "suckiness."