WoW's next expansion - Lesson's unlearned.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If we're talking purely in terms of graphical fidelity here, I'd say FFXI, LOTRO, and GW1 were quite a lot better.
Those are also a lot newer and I would say that GW1 doesn't look better then WoW. GW2 certainly does, but again, much newer.

No, I don't care. I was referring regular, non-mmo games. I should have been way more specific.
Ahh, yeah, making an MMO requires giving up on higher end graphics since you need to be able to have a ton of different looking players in the same area with spell effects etc. Can't really compare that to a single player game.

I really disagree. The backlash to D3 in its entirety was far, FAR more than "mainly grumbling." We're talking about direct attacks on developers level doxxing.
Are we talking about a lot or a few? Cause that was around the time when doxing and such was becoming more popular and even if its something like that, if its only a few people doing it then its still mainly just grumbling on the whole with a few assholes going too far.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Are we talking about a lot or a few? Cause that was around the time when doxing and such was becoming more popular and even if its something like that, if its only a few people doing it then its still mainly just grumbling on the whole with a few assholes going too far.
A lot.

I was on the forums back in 2012, when D3 was released. Trust me, the raw hatred was palpable. I'm not talking about people not liking the game, I'm talking about frothing-in-the-mouth type posts.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Can't really compare that to a single player game.
Fair game to me. Considering how FXI looked and still looks good. I can pick plenty of low-budget single player games that look better than WoW back then and now.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Fair game to me. Considering how FXI looked and still looks good. I can pick plenty of low-budget single player games that look better than WoW back then and now.
What are some that came out in the same year that were low budget and look better?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A lot.

I was on the forums back in 2012, when D3 was released. Trust me, the raw hatred was palpable. I'm not talking about people not liking the game, I'm talking about frothing-in-the-mouth type posts.
Ehh, I remember some but I don't think it was that much. I suppose it could have been.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What are some that came out in the same year that were low budget and look better?
If we're going with low or modest budgets before and during 2005:

• Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
  • Killer 7
  • Gungrave
  • Jet Set Radio - Nearly anything with cel-shading at all.
  • Ikaruga
  • Super Monkeyball 1 & 2
  • Serious Sam II
  • Devil May Cry - Yes, the first game was made on a low budget. 3 while more expensive by comparison, was mostly modest.
  • Nightshade
  • Timesplitters 3
Not to mention all of the non-HD games that came afterward that look good or aged gracefully; big budget or not.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If we're going with low or modest budgets before and during 2005:

• Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
  • Killer 7
  • Gungrave
  • Jet Set Radio - Nearly anything with cel-shading at all.
  • Ikaruga
  • Super Monkeyball 1 & 2
  • Serious Sam II
  • Devil May Cry - Yes, the first game was made on a low budget. 3 while more expensive by comparison, was mostly modest.
  • Nightshade
  • Timesplitters 3
Not to mention all of the non-HD games that came afterward that look good or aged gracefully; big budget or not.
Ehh, not really.

Also, stop making me fucken defend blizzard. I kinda hate them a lot and refuse to give them money. Its really annoying.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ehh, not really.
Yes it is. Most of these games were made on low or modest budgets. VJ1 especially; look that one up. Plus, most all of these games and many I rather look at or play, than any version of WoW for the near 20 years. Including the games that came out 2006 and afterward. Be it in game models, CG renders, promotion art, etc.

Also, stop making me fucken defend blizzard. I kinda hate them a lot and refuse to give them money. Its really annoying.
Your problem and choice, not mine. No one is forcing you to defend them.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yes it is. Most of these games were made on low or modest budgets. VJ1 especially; look that one up. Plus, most all of these games and many I rather look at or play, than any version of WoW for the near 20 years. Including the games that came out 2006 and afterward. Be it in game models, CG renders, promotion art, etc.
Dude, you have Nightshade in your list, that might have some decent character design but that is an ugly game.

Your problem and choice, not mine. No one is forcing you to defend them.
Its cause you are making an argument that makes no sense. If you are going to hate on something then have a logical reason to hate it, don't just say its bad and flip the table.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dude, you have Nightshade in your list, that might have some decent character design but that is an ugly game.
Okay. Would still look at it over WoW. That's only one ugly game, so whatever.

Its cause you are making an argument that makes no sense.
It does make sense and it is my opinion on the matter. Nothing more. If you like looking at WoW more than any of these games, and find it visually appealing, more power to you. I don't have a problem with your opinion.

If you are going to hate on something then have a logical reason to hate it
Not hatred, just disinterest and not appealing to me. You're putting words in my mouth. I swear some people here and another guy on a different forum I visit have a crazy habit of doing that. Though he still by far the worse about it.

Most of the games have better or lasting appeal in art work or visual fidelity. You don't like my opinion, too bad. Leave me with mine, and I will leave you with yours. I am not budging and your wasting both of our times on this. Agrees to disagree and whatever.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Those are also a lot newer and I would say that GW1 doesn't look better then WoW. GW2 certainly does, but again, much newer.

FF11 came out before WoW, and GW1 was less than 6 months later.

And... c'mon, the graphical fidelity of GW1 is quite a lot better than WoW.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
World of Warcraft: You will be surprised how much the WOW fanbase has lionized MOP in recent years, forgetting that MOP gameplay wise only got REALLY good when Patch 5.2 came out, Throne of Thunder. I didn't think Battle for Azeroth is the worse thing ever. Shadowlands was as dumb as I predicted it would be.

Starcraft II: The Mary Sue-ifaction of Sarah Kerrigan is the biggest culprit.

Diablo III: People hate Blizzard now, but almost every Normie gamer lost their interest in Blizzard after Diablo 3, the only ones left were Blizzard fans. The Normies only came back when Overwatch came out and now they are leaving Overwatch after it went downhill in popularity. As for Diablo 3 itself, it managed to pull off a No Man's Sky redemption before No Man's Sky did it. Only blemish is the always online requirement for the PC version still in effect even when you play Single player.

Warcraft III Reforged: I still have my Pre-Reforged version of the game.

Diablo Immortal: The hate for the game and the devs is blown WAY out of proportion and I think that Red Shirt Guy went out of line. That was the verbal equivalent to the Will Smith slap to me.
What does it say about “Normie” gamers when the only reason they’d leave an otherwise good game is because its popularity dwindled? Are they merely following popularity trends, and who were the other gamers leaving they’re taking cues from?

Or maybe it ultimately says something about the nature of multiplayer-centric gaming.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FF11 came out before WoW, and GW1 was less than 6 months later.

And... c'mon, the graphical fidelity of GW1 is quite a lot better than WoW.
Ahh, I stand corrected.

Fidelity is much better, aesthetics are better in wow. Wow is just more colorful and appealing in a lot of places, instead of more realistic.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about how the graphics look close up or even in action. When I think of wow looking good, its more about some of the big outdoor areas, like the wide open fields and platues of the Tauren starting area, or the farming villages of one of the earlier human areas, or the snowy mountains of the dwarf area, or even the area around the undead starting area with the really tall trees. Like, the sense of awe that can come from just looking around a place, wow had a lot of that in a lot of places, I don't remember much of that at all for me in GW1.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ahh, I stand corrected.

Fidelity is much better, aesthetics are better in wow. Wow is just more colorful and appealing in a lot of places, instead of more realistic.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about how the graphics look close up or even in action. When I think of wow looking good, its more about some of the big outdoor areas, like the wide open fields and platues of the Tauren starting area, or the farming villages of one of the earlier human areas, or the snowy mountains of the dwarf area, or even the area around the undead starting area with the really tall trees. Like, the sense of awe that can come from just looking around a place, wow had a lot of that in a lot of places, I don't remember much of that at all for me in GW1.
Your mileage may vary, I suppose. I certainly did get it from GW1. Though admittedly I only played WoW for ~2 days so I might be being overly harsh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What does it say about “Normie” gamers when the only reason they’d leave an otherwise good game is because its popularity dwindled? Are they merely following popularity trends, and who were the other gamers leaving they’re taking cues from?

Or maybe it ultimately says something about the nature of multiplayer-centric gaming.
It's a little bit of both. Take fighting games for example. There is always a huge spike, and then an immediate drop off, either because of different interests, or they're not being many modes other than the online mode. That's the problem with a lot of Japanese fighting games especially. Lack of content.

Look at Street Fighter 5. The casuals don't like it with good reason. The game was released as a $60 beta and barely look different than Street Fighter V at a distance. Upon closer inspection you can tell the difference in art style and coloring, from a distance it looked only slightly better than Street Fighter IV. Capcom knows this, which is why they are going for a more realistic art style with the RE engine. They tried originally with the fifth game, but they couldn't get it to look and work right, so it was scrapped entirely. That is the double-edged sword of multiplayer games: people lose interest and move on to the next shiny thing. The casuals & "normies" are the one that dictate the sales. Not the hardcore players and super dedicated fanatics.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Your mileage may vary, I suppose. I certainly did get it from GW1. Though admittedly I only played WoW for ~2 days so I might be being overly harsh.
I played WoW for zero days. The closest I got was watching a couple of my friends play. I saw the appeal, but it did not interest me. No that was all the way back in 2007.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not hatred, just disinterest and not appealing to me. You're putting words in my mouth. I swear some people here and another guy on a different forum I visit have a crazy habit of doing that. Though he still by far the worse about it.

Most of the games have better or lasting appeal in art work or visual fidelity. You don't like my opinion, too bad. Leave me with mine, and I will leave you with yours. I am not budging and your wasting both of our times on this. Agrees to disagree and whatever.
Then why are you even here? Just saying "its ugly" is meaningless by itself and makes your opinion sound just wrong.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then why are you even here? Just saying "its ugly" is meaningless by itself and makes your opinion sound just wrong.
You're the one getting upset. I have every right here to be here as anyone else (within reason). I'm not intentionally annoying anybody, nor making fun of them for liking the game's visuals. I'm talking about my opinion on a game. Everybody has an opinion; move on. By the way, I never said the game was "ugly". All I said is that I could think of plenty of games that look better visually and stylistically.

You are once again putting words in my mouth. Unless there's some hidden distaste for visuals that we don't know about, and you are projecting it on me. Otherwise, stop with being so extra about it.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
That's all good, sure. Art direction beats graphical fidelity 9 times out of 10, it's far more important. Its just not usually what I think someone means when they praise a game's "graphics".

Though honestly the art direction never struck me as particularly special or unique; just a fairly standard fantasy setting. Stereotypical dwarves and elves, and D&D-style drows for the dark elves. The idea of an undead playable race is cool, I admit.
That's pretty much the Swords and Sorcery fantasy genre in a nutshell. Nobody has truly come up with anything special or unique in the genre for decades and that includes what it looks like.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That's pretty much the Swords and Sorcery fantasy genre in a nutshell. Nobody has truly come up with anything special or unique in the genre for decades and that includes what it looks like.
Well that's mainly because they're rooted deeply in medieval Europe as their inspiration. I mean Jade Empire didn't do much unique with the sword and sorcery genre either except to set it in China. But its amazing what a new coat of paint can do.