Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Any of them, you've seen what I'm against pick anything I've said that you have a solution for. I don't want to accidentally pick something you've not thought out, so it's only fair to let you give me your best solution to dismantle.
The problem is that 90% of what I've seen you complain about is based on a misunderstanding of what feminism is. I actually don't know what you do stand for because, well... you don't really stand up for anything. I know a lot about what you hate, most of it petty and inconsequential, but I don't know what your actual values are if any. Throw me a bone. What is a problem that you consider a priority? If I've got nothing, I'll admit it.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Most of the world doesn't use coal that heavily, and it is also being generally phased out anyway.

All of which should be completely drowned out by fuel use during the lifespan of the vehicle. In most of the world, it's estimated currently about 30-70% less carbon for EV, and that should get even higher with more power generation by renewables.

The other advantage, of course, is they drastically reduce the amount of pollutants dumped straight into the lungs of your average urban dweller, thus reducing problems with asthma and other respiratory diseases, general sooty dirt, etc. There are studies that suggest that if you're living in a city, you're effectively smoking several cigarettes a day.
In some places, EVs are dirtier than normal cars. It does take 2 years for an EV to catch up to a normal car in carbon footprint due to how much carbon is produce making the EV, which is a lot if it's taking 2 years. Currently, EVs just aren't affordable for most people in developed nations let alone the world's biggest populations. EVs also aren't nearly as practical as they have range issues. And, EVs don't really have that good of a reputation because Teslas are pretty crappy cars, I would never buy one unless they were cheaper than other cars.

More specifically, for a pattern of dickish behavior that also includes abusing names to hurt someone. Again, people can tell when you're bullshitting them. Your friend was not reported for using a name. That's just his excuse for his bigoted douchebaggery.
LMAO, calling someone by their name isn't "abusing names". How the fuck is that even a thing, you can abuse people's 1st names now?

Wrong.

Even if you're using a coal-fired grid, it's still better, on average, than a ICE vehicle.

Well, better overall to use public transport as much as possible, but EV's are still better for the environment overall on every front. There's also the fact that EV batteries can be recycled, while fossil fuels, by their nature, are one-time only.
Not according to this Reuters article:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What is a problem that you consider a priority? If I've got nothing, I'll admit it.
I don't really know what to say. So let's make something up.

How would you solve the problem of these companies taking existing properties and ruining their established storylines to insert their own agendas? For example the new Star Wars Trilogy, or Terminator Dark Fate, or Ghostbusters 2016.

Because when fans got outraged about how these films disrespect the cannon's of the universes in which they belong, the people on the left call them bigots and sexists. Despite people generally being pretty positive of side cannon projects like Rogue One which were female driven. It's not that people don't want female heroes, it's that they don't want the existed male heroes shoved aside for the sake of some Fan Fiction replacement.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I don't really know what to say. So let's make something up.

How would you solve the problem of these companies taking existing properties and ruining their established storylines to insert their own agendas? For example the new Star Wars Trilogy, or Terminator Dark Fate, or Ghostbusters 2016.

Because when fans got outraged about how these films disrespect the cannon's of the universes in which they belong, the people on the left call them bigots and sexists. Despite people generally being pretty positive of side cannon projects like Rogue One which were female driven. It's not that people don't want female heroes, it's that they don't want the existed male heroes shoved aside for the sake of some Fan Fiction replacement.
First of all, you're assuming an agenda other than just chasing trends. And a lot of criticism directed at the things you mention were in obvious bad faith. That's what people on the left were rolling their eyes at.

Chasing trends is something the entertainment industry has been doing since time meant shit, bro. I have no solutions to that because 1) it's not that big a problem and 2) as long as there is a profit motive, trends will be chased.

And look, I'm kind of a film nerd myself. I have subscriptions to multiple streaming services, the Criterion Channel included. I watch a lot of movies, but not many new ones because most of them just don't appeal. It happens. There aren't enough people with my specific tastes to pander to and expect a major box office draw. That's okay, because that's what independent media is for. The idea that trying something different is inherently "disrespectful" is in your head.

To be more accurate, it's not that people don't want female heroes (though let's be real, there are a lot of neckbeards who would prefer women remain objects in media), they just want everything in a franchise to be exactly the same as the first thing they liked about it. They want things to stay the same way forever. To quote Inside Job, "Nostalgia is a disease that causes adults to argue about Ghostbusters while the world burns." Just let creative people make stuff. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. It's not a big deal.

Reactions: bluegate and Hawki

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
To be more accurate, it's not that people don't want female heroes (though let's be real, there are a lot of neckbeards who would prefer women remain objects in media), they just want everything in a franchise to be exactly the same as the first thing they liked about it. They want things to stay the same way forever. To quote Inside Job, "Nostalgia is a disease that causes adults to argue about Ghostbusters while the world burns." Just let creative people make stuff. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. It's not a big deal.
These creator's don't do themselves any favors by blaming their lack of success on people being racist, homophobic, sexist or whatever. https://www.screengeek.net/2020/05/29/ghostbusters-2016-failure-racism-sexism-paul-feig/

There is nothing wrong with making films with female casts and characters, that's not the issue. The issue is two fold.

1. When you take an established character like Thor or Wolverine and make a new series where those characters are transformed into something on the woke spectrum. This would be fine as a spin-off but these characters actively replace existing series. Then it's the fan's fault for not supporting the change and the fans are toxic because they didn't like the progressive change.

2. The second issue add to the first by not only are you changing the character to fit in with whatever hot button spectrum you are trying to fit in with these days, but on top of that the content itself is garbage.

Why did Charlies Angel's with Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, And Lucy Liu work, but the new film flopped? SImple answer is the new film was fucking dumb. It had nothing to do with it being a female led films work all the time. Shitty movies don't. It's not sexism, it's not anti-wokeness, it's nothing at all like that, you just made a dumb product that nobody wanted.

It is your job to entice people to your project, it isn't the audience's job to show up. If these Film makers can't see that then that is on them, not the audience.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
1. When you take an established character like Thor or Wolverine and make a new series where those characters are transformed into something on the woke spectrum. This would be fine as a spin-off but these characters actively replace existing series. Then it's the fan's fault for not supporting the change and the fans are toxic because they didn't like the progressive change.
No, the toxicity is when they start issuing threats, slurs and other unpleasantries instead of behaving like adults. Get over it.

It is your job to entice people to your project, it isn't the audience's job to show up. If these Film makers can't see that then that is on them, not the audience.
So you do want them to pander, just not to people you disagree with?

Still, you are lending some credibility to that quote in my previous post. Of all the problems in the world today, ones with actionable solutions, you choose to complain that not enough media is pandering to you and other audiences are being considered.

Reactions: bluegate and Hawki

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Not according to this Reuters article:
Your article still says EVs are better carbonwise in every country they mention. The worst they can find is a 4% improvement in EVs over gas.

You should really at some point learn to read.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I agree, except WoT DOES have interesting characters, and IS well written. Season 1 was excellent. So if you're correct about there being an "agenda," it apparently turned into a really good product.
I have to disagree with there, I thought the first season was pretty poor .

And I think there's a clear pattern, from the publicity for the show, to the trailer which barely featured any of the males characters, and finally the series itself, that shows an agenda. The writers wanted to push the series as a feminist fantasy and had no real interest in the male characters. Rand's role in particular was diminished to the point where you almost felt sorry for the guy. His big moment were he destroys an army was given to a female character who'd only been introduced the week before, had no real importance to the plot and wasn't even a proper Aes Sedai. Rand's not so much the Dragon Reborn as the Turkey Reborn.

I doubt he'll feature much in the second season either.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
In some places, EVs are dirtier than normal cars.
Some very few places with unusually high reliance on coal... of which there aren't very many. This is not an argument for pretty much the whole of North America and Europe (except maybe Poland), for instance.

It does take 2 years for an EV to catch up to a normal car in carbon footprint due to how much carbon is produce making the EV, which is a lot if it's taking 2 years.
Jesus. How long do you think the effective lifespan of the average car is? If an EV overtakes a fossil fuel car at 2 years, it's vastly cleaner.

Currently, EVs just aren't affordable for most people in developed nations let alone the world's biggest populations.
So, let's put this in perspective. Nigeria has a population of 200 million, but has just 12 million cars. Contrast with the USA, approximately one car per person. In fact, cars of any type whatsoever are not affordable for most of the world's population.

If North America and Europe alone convert to electric, that's over 50% of the world's cars. So that's a massive improvement right there.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Still, you are lending some credibility to that quote in my previous post. Of all the problems in the world today, ones with actionable solutions, you choose to complain that not enough media is pandering to you and other audiences are being considered.
You know honestly. No. I don't care who a piece of media panders too. If I really think about it, I think my biggest gripe, is that when a piece of media panders to ME, people complain about it.

If I have to be okay that a piece of media panders to you. Then you must in turn be okay that they dress Lara Croft in a titty tassle to appeal to me. Is that not fair? WE both get what we want don't we? You get your pandering and I get mine, that seems fair.

I don't like feeling demonized for liking what I like because people perceive some social injustice about it as it Lara Croft or the fantasy elf in an MMO is a real person being subjugated.

Why are the female warriors wearing bikini armor? Because I fucking like it! And that should be enough reason, shouldn't it?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have to disagree with there, I thought the first season was pretty poor .

And I think there's a clear pattern, from the publicity for the show, to the trailer which barely featured any of the males characters, and finally the series itself, that shows an agenda. The writers wanted to push the series as a feminist fantasy and had no real interest in the male characters. Rand's role in particular was diminished to the point where you almost felt sorry for the guy. His big moment were he destroys an army was given to a female character who'd only been introduced the week before, had no real importance to the plot and wasn't even a proper Aes Sedai. Rand's not so much the Dragon Reborn as the Turkey Reborn.

I doubt he'll feature much in the second season either.
I thought the WoT was at best just okay. I have a really big problem when movies or TV shows take a beloved story and turn it into something completely different. The WoT is a huge epic story with giant moments for just about every character except minor minor ones. When the first episodes of the show immediately take the story off the rails then you are no longer making an WoT story, you are making something else wearing WoT branding.

That Lord of the Rings show also looks like it's doing that same shit.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I thought the WoT was at best just okay. I have a really big problem when movies or TV shows take a beloved story and turn it into something completely different. The WoT is a huge epic story with giant moments for just about every character except minor minor ones. When the first episodes of the show immediately take the story off the rails then you are no longer making an WoT story, you are making something else wearing WoT branding.

To be honest I am looking forward to the Rings of Power even though I know that realistically it's going to a total car crash.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA

For the sake of argument, there are plenty of adaptations that deviated from the source material and turned out pretty damn good. The Godfather, Jaws, Guardians of the Galaxy, Clueless... It's possible, is all I'm saying.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Your article still says EVs are better carbonwise in every country they mention. The worst they can find is a 4% improvement in EVs over gas.

You should really at some point learn to read.
In Europe, where sales are rising the fastest in the world, EVs in Poland and Kosovo actually generate more carbon emissions because grids are so coal-reliant, according to the data compiled by research consultancy Radiant Energy Group (REG).

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Some very few places with unusually high reliance on coal... of which there aren't very many. This is not an argument for pretty much the whole of North America and Europe (except maybe Poland), for instance.

Jesus. How long do you think the effective lifespan of the average car is? If an EV overtakes a fossil fuel car at 2 years, it's vastly cleaner.

So, let's put this in perspective. Nigeria has a population of 200 million, but has just 12 million cars. Contrast with the USA, approximately one car per person. In fact, cars of any type whatsoever are not affordable for most of the world's population.

If North America and Europe alone convert to electric, that's over 50% of the world's cars. So that's a massive improvement right there.
I'm just saying that when a normal car is built and an EV is built, the normal car is cleaner for 2 years, that's a lot more carbon going into the build for the EV is what I'm saying.

China and India have more than 250 million vehicles.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm just saying that when a normal car is built and an EV is built, the normal car is cleaner for 2 years, that's a lot more carbon going into the build for the EV is what I'm saying.
Who really cares when it's the lifetime cost that matters?

EVs are probably also already economically cheaper in total lifetime cost as well: lower maintenance and cheaper fuel.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
For the sake of argument, there are plenty of adaptations that deviated from the source material and turned out pretty damn good. The Godfather, Jaws, Guardians of the Galaxy, Clueless... It's possible, is all I'm saying.
Possibly but typically unlikely.

In some respects the storys have to change because a movie cannot hold the entire content of a novel. Like Jurassic Park or the Godfather. In those cases you have to cut things and streamline things in order to keep a movie flowing and fitting into a reasonable run time. And in those cases, I don't think it's so much as changing the story as it is adapting the story to fit a film format.

WoT the show is directly just changing shit, and it's typically changing things to give the spotlight onto the women even in Breakdown's example of literally taking a moment of heroism from a man to give to a random woman in the show. It's these types of changes that aren't done to reformat a story in order to fit with the film or TV show format, it's diliberately changing the known story for reasons that don't make sense to the fans which in turn alienates them.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't it? I mean not for nothing but looks are what people judge first. Women too. Nobody looks at an ugly person at a club or bar and goes, "Oh damn! I bet they have a great mind!"

Looks, and not being insane, are basically the priorities. It's only after having a relationship that the other aspects of a person start to matter, like interests, hobbies, goals and dreams. And that bonus stuff is what breaks people away. But the foundation is almost always based on looks. Of course people will call that shallow but anyone who does is being hypocritical.
...you're genuinely going to make the argument that a person's most important trait is their physical attractiveness?

Pretty sure you couldn't get characters like Meleena from Mortal Kombat in the 1950's. And these sexy characters are a result of the liberations of women's freedoms in the 70's to wear and do whatever the fuck they wanted. If they wanted to be sexy, groovey. If they wanted to be housewives, that was cool too. The 50's sexism what typically about keep women out of the work force to stay home, cook, clean, and take care of the kids, nothing more. You don't need ambition when you're a wife, let the man worry about that.

Which also is the basis of why the "man up" thing is so dominant today still. IT was the man's job to earn and provide. Any man unable to do that was scum, and to this day we are judged by position and salery.
Specific kinks and what's considered "sexy" have shifted a bit. The overwhelming focus on a woman's worth either as a sexual object or as a mother/home keeper are the important part.

Highly oversexualised characters in games are not a result of women's liberation. They're almost always designed by men and for men, which is a dead giveaway, dude.

So basically "They didn't like it" so they made their own?

Great. You do your thing. Let the other stuff also be made as well. What's the problem?

As Buyeten says, Why not both?
Uhrm... you're the one complaining about people making different kinds of characters. Saying it's bad what they make female characters who aren't attractive.

Reactions: Buyetyen