Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I've never watched one of his videos before and the 5 hour runtime put me off for quite a while but honestly that was a pretty good essay, even if it is fucking long. It is kinda surprising at times that he has this smooth, chill speaking style and every so often just slip and F bomb in there.

I don't agree with all of his conclusions(I wish I could enjoy DS2 as much as he did and DS3 felt like it held together much better then he gives it credit for) but he did argue them well.I also really appreciate his emphasis on "Enjoy the games you want to enjoy them. Don't listen to jerks who insist you can only enjoy the game a certain way".

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The legends were so good, just like he said they had so much charm trough all kind of nice little addition. None of them were amazing but they made the world feel so much more alive. I really liked that you had to pay back any damage you cause during a fight in city and would see the town slowly rebuild itself. They're also some of the very few 3D metroidvania game (with a stronger focus on town).

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't agree with all of his conclusions(I wish I could enjoy DS2 as much as he did and DS3 felt like it held together much better then he gives it credit for) but he did argue them well.I also really appreciate his emphasis on "Enjoy the games you want to enjoy them. Don't listen to jerks who insist you can only enjoy the game a certain way".
Noah can be cool guy, but there are certain parts of his earlier videos I don't enjoy. Mainly FEAR2 in his FEAR Retrospective. Him claiming that Beckett getting raped by Alma is supposed be seen as "sexy" by the developers, is bullshit and dumb stance to take on. Noah also claimed that this moment is sexist (if the genders were revered, would it be sexist then?). You're not supposed to see that moment as sexy at all. It's played for the horrifying implication that it is. Beckett's actual reaction in FEAR3 only supports this point further. How Beckett got unceremoniously got killed off in 3, I agree with though. What does not help matter is he acted vindictive about it, and got in to arguments with people who disagreed with them. Most of the people commenting weren't being assholes, or pointing out the flaws in his points. He never disabled the comments nor removed them, but I do consider it one of his few asshole moments. He's calmed down after a while with later videos, but it sucks he got up his own ass for people disagreeing with him. Otherwise, a majority of his other videos he is much more laid back, even if it is something he does not like in a game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The legends were so good, just like he said they had so much charm trough all kind of nice little addition. None of them were amazing but they made the world feel so much more alive. I really liked that you had to pay back any damage you cause during a fight in city and would see the town slowly rebuild itself. They're also some of the very few 3D metroidvania game (with a stronger focus on town).
I admit that I only ever played the original few times, by renting back in the day. Lack of interest and me being distracted by other games. I regret nothing, but it sucks fans never got a Legends 3.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Salt and Sacrifice releases today. Which, for those blessed by the high walls of ignorance, is the semi-sequel to Salt and Sanctuary: the 2D cartoon soulslike that most people seemed to like. Reviews!

Salt And Sacrifice is a 2D metroidvania hunt-a-thon that casts you as a condemned prisoner in an imperiled kingdom. Magic is corrupting the land, giving rise to monstrous creatures and ravenous undead, and the source of all of this destruction, Mages, must be hunted and their hearts devoured if the Kingdom is to survive. Like Ska Studios’s previous outing, the game features difficult combat, extensive equipment options, and hulking bosses to slay. But while the scale has increased and the combat and visuals are as slick as ever, there are some growing pains that only just manage to hold the game back from its full potential.

Upon booting the game up, it’s immediately clear that you’re in for a visual treat.The design and detail are just ever so lovely: from the way firelight gives a soft glow to its surroundings in the twilight, to how fog wafts lazily over cobble stairways in a musty dungeon, it’s all just so utterly gorgeous to look at. Ska Studios have always had a recognizable art style – imposing architecture and grungy moppets – but it’s plain to see here that they’ve upped their game in the best possible way. According to the devs, every asset was created from scratch, and that care shows in every frame.

After selecting your character class (and getting bodied by an overpowered boss monster in true soulslike fashion) you awaken in Pardoner’s Vale. This is a base camp in which you can level up, build or improve equipment, buy or sell items, pet your adorable antlerkitty, display trophies obtained from hunts, and chat with various NPCs that you meet out in the world. It’s also where you’ll find the Mirrorgate, a portal that allows you to travel to different regions as you unlock them. You’ll need to traverse these regions and gather clues to kick off Mage Hunts, which are boss fights that serve as the game’s main activity.

As in Salt And Sanctuary, you’ll still be stringing together light attacks, heavies, dodge-rolls, parries, and blocks, but the attacks and movement are notably faster and snappier this time around. The weapons you’ll be using are now more akin to the hunting gear from Monster Hunter, as every weapon type has its own moveset and paired weapons like swords and shields are inseparable. This may initially give the impression that there’s less variety in how the player might arm themselves, but in practice it allows each weapon to have a unique identity as opposed to feeling redundant. A flame stave and a lightning stave have the same base attack pattern, but they have completely different Runic Arts (special abilities unique to certain weapons) that fulfill different combat roles.

That said, there are some issues with the combat where I found myself questioning why certain mechanics worked the way they did. Stamina regeneration is halted when taking damage, making it incredibly easy to be stunlocked to death in the likely event you run out in combat. In a similar vein, if you happen to be knocked skyward (and Mages will absolutely do this in their claustrophobic, final-fight arenas) there are no i-frames preventing you from literally being juggled to death. I had several deaths where I took a hit while at full health and still ended up dying because I never got the chance to stand back up and defend myself. This issue is compounded exponentially when you consider that some Mages routinely roam into areas that are already abundant with other foes, usually while you’re trying to fight said foes.

The enemies you’ll be fighting are a varied lot, ranging from your bog-standard gobbos and skellingtons all the way to evil popes and dudes with human bodies but, like, the head of a housefly. Again, the art direction truly shines here, and I cannot overstate how interesting and creative the enemy designs are. It seems like the dev team knew they’d hit it out of the park, because they saw fit to include a lovely bestiary in the pause menu, cataloging every skellington scuppered and gobbo ganked. Each region has unique enemies that fit with the regional theme, and even the most menial foes can bring you down if you aren’t careful. When I wasn’t being chucked about like a ragdoll, I had a lot of fun stabbing, slicing, and magicking them to death.

Upon finding a clue and initiating a Mage Hunt, a subtle particle trail will lead you to your quarry (the particles themselves change to reflect the element of the Mage you’re pursuing; a neat and immersive touch). Mages must be battled a handful of times across the level before you can kill them proper, and during this roaming phase they’ll spawn themed mobs before running away to a new arena. Each region not only has a set number of Named Mages, who must be defeated in order to break the magical seals that prevent access to certain locations in the region, but also roaming Nameless Mages who periodically spawn to shake things up. The Nameless Mages are mostly useful for farming parts and experience, with some dropping unique gear.

Speaking of parts, the crafting system in Salt And Sacrifice will, like the weapon style, be very familiar to any Monster Hunter fans. Mages and their mobs drop parts that can be used to create themed gear, granting elemental damage, resistances, and Runic Arts that mimic those of the Mage they were made from. It can be a bit of a slog trying to find a specific type of mage to get the parts you need, but you’ll get enough materials just from playing the game that, if you should find yourself particularly attached to a weapon or piece of armor, you can continually upgrade it to keep pace with the later, more difficult levels.

The regions are rather large, broken up by underground areas and dungeons and the like. As in any metroidvania worth its salt [pause for pity laughs] you’ll catch glimpses of out-of-reach areas to return to once you’ve gotten the necessary traversal items. You’ll also be unlocking shortcuts, platforming, and stumbling into oh so many traps. The traps in particular are some of the meanest I’ve yet encountered in a game, with many of them being nigh invisible if you don’t know to expect them. I suppose they wouldn’t be very good traps if they were signposted in bright neon, but it rarely felt as though I stepped on a hidden one due to negligence as opposed to trickery with darkness, color palettes, or foreground objects obscuring my view of them.

Still, for all its quirks, Ska Studios have themselves a solid entry here. I don’t think there were many problems I encountered that couldn’t be patched out, and I had a lot of fun with the game in spite of some annoyances. If Salt And Sanctuary was Ska Studios sheepishly imitating a more successful formula, then Salt And Sacrifice is them confidently finding their stride. For a game about tearing out hearts, it’s clearly had a lot of heart put into it and Monster Hunter fans in particular shouldn’t pass this one up. Just don’t expect perfection.

Trailers!

Why do I got the feeling I should've put the trailer before the reviews? Oh well. Cats!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don’t really get the climbing complaint though. Should literally “everything” be climb-able in a game like this? I mean, it makes sense in Spider-Man but here there should be some limitations.
I don't know if everything should be climbable, but if you are going to put a lot of climbing in your open-world you're gonna have to match up to Assassin's Creed and Breath of the Wild. Let's say everything was climbable though in Forbidden West, it wouldn't really matter because mechanically it feels wholly unsatisfying. That's the real issue, and it's the issue Guerilla either ignored or failed to notice.

If you're playing an athletic traveler it'd be weird to have no real climbing, but the way it's implemented in Horizon feels like the developers figured it had to be there but didn't bother to make it fun or atleast feel natural. The game awkwardly stops the momentum of Aloy dead whenever something needs to be climbed or hooked toward. Even Uncharted with it's rather boring, risk-free climbing atleast has a somewhat satisfying flow to the movement.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Sums up my issues with this entry very well.

Lol at Aloy telling the player october is the 10th month of the year for a puzzle. Not only is it insultingly patronizing, she shouldn't know that!

It really sound like its just common denominator, they had to make everything as simple as possible so literally everyone could progress, which I guess is the ultimate fate of most popular game (I pray whoever at FROM soft is keeping the soul game frm having easy mode never get fired).

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't know if everything should be climbable, but if you are going to put a lot of climbing in your open-world you're gonna have to match up to Assassin's Creed and Breath of the Wild. Let's say everything was climbable though in Forbidden West, it wouldn't really matter because mechanically it feels wholly unsatisfying. That's the real issue, and it's the issue Guerilla either ignored or failed to notice.

If you're playing an athletic traveler it'd be weird to have no real climbing, but the way it's implemented in Horizon feels like the developers figured it had to be there but didn't bother to make it fun or atleast feel natural. The game awkwardly stops the momentum of Aloy dead whenever something needs to be climbed or hooked toward. Even Uncharted with it's rather boring, risk-free climbing atleast has a somewhat satisfying flow to the movement.
If you’re referring to the weird slo-mo pauses during Aloy’s leaps, then yeah that’s annoying. But I’ve generally thought she feels very nimble and good to control including climbing, barring the stupid pauses.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If you’re referring to the weird slo-mo pauses during Aloy’s leaps, then yeah that’s annoying. But I’ve generally thought she feels very nimble and good to control including climbing, barring the stupid pauses.
No, it's everything. The first game had the issue of feeling less like you're climbing and more like you're pushing your character through these weird snapping canned animations. For example, you latch onto ledges that are 3 feet from the ground, eventhough if it didn't have a yellow ledge you'd just jump onto it. Climbing never feels like a mechanic that your character transitions into naturally, there's always this awkward feel to it, like suddenly you're pushing a block around.

The sequel has the same problem but worse, since there's way more climbing now. The introduction of the hookshot suffers from this too. When you're running and jumping, and you activate the hookshot in mid air you want that speed from running to flow into that grapple point. But once you activate the hookshot your momentum gets stopped dead in its track so the game can shift you into the hookshot animation.
It really sound like its just common denominator, they had to make everything as simple as possible so literally everyone could progress, which I guess is the ultimate fate of most popular game (I pray whoever at FROM soft is keeping the soul game frm having easy mode never get fired).
Fromsoft has its own issues, which has nothing to do with an Easy mode (which frankly already exists considering the online co-op), like the amount of bullshit you need to contend with in order to play these games. The awful camera and lock-on for example, which they've refused to fix ever since Demon's Souls. That's 15 bloody years. Also, simply not telling the player information that they would need to solve a quest or to just get rid of a status effect is just as bad as telling them too much. Nobody plays a Souls game without looking things up online due to how overly obtuse these games are.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Fromsoft has its own issues, which has nothing to do with an Easy mode (which frankly already exists considering the online co-op), like the amount of bullshit you need to contend with in order to play these games. The awful camera and lock-on for example, which they've refused to fix ever since Demon's Souls. That's 15 bloody years. Also, simply not telling the player information that they would need to solve a quest or to just get rid of a status effect is just as bad as telling them too much. Nobody plays a Souls game without looking things up online due to how overly obtuse these games are.
I generally try to play these games blind but ER is so fucking huge I've been using the guides fairly liberally because once I'm done, I doubt I'm playing again until the DLC drops. I don't feel like crawling every goddman mini-dungeon in the game only to find some spell I'll never use at the end when I could be using my time more productively somewhere else. I've been playing for a month or so now(due to my game schedule) and I still feel like everyone else has already beaten it at this point.....despite me playing a fairly optimized playthrough where I am skipping a lot of the chaff. Basically, I'm about 55 hours in, about level 100, just now exploring Lyndell and I can only imagine where I'd be if I weren't using guides to help me skip some of the crappy content.

The longer a game is, the less likely it is I'll ever come back to it anytime soon. FROM games also have the added benefit of being punishing, which leads to another disincentive(for me, anyway) to not want to do another replay. I've heard people say that the NG+ is actually a lot easier because you've got all the good stuff, you'll very well leveled, likely, and you know how to play the game. OTOH, I'm normally just fucking done by that point and really to play something else.

So once I finish ER, I probably won't be going back to finish Salt and Sanctuary in prep for Salt and Sacrifice. At least not for a while.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

More evidence Elden Ring wasn't quite done when it released, considering they're still tweaking the map during patches. I keep imagining FROM working up to the moment of release trying to clean up as much as they could and still kinda sneaking this stuff in hoping nobody would notice.

And I mean, that and the arenas that are very noticeable on the map, clearly seem to have a purpose but aren't actually accessible(hopefully an upcoming patch will fix that).

But there's also that problem with the Souls game netcode apparently they're trying to fix so people can use MP in Dark Souls 1-3. I get the feeling FROM is stretched thin a bit right now.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
No, it's everything. The first game had the issue of feeling less like you're climbing and more like you're pushing your character through these weird snapping canned animations. For example, you latch onto ledges that are 3 feet from the ground, eventhough if it didn't have a yellow ledge you'd just jump onto it. Climbing never feels like a mechanic that your character transitions into naturally, there's always this awkward feel to it, like suddenly you're pushing a block around.

The sequel has the same problem but worse, since there's way more climbing now. The introduction of the hookshot suffers from this too. When you're running and jumping, and you activate the hookshot in mid air you want that speed from running to flow into that grapple point. But once you activate the hookshot your momentum gets stopped dead in its track so the game can shift you into the hookshot animation.
I’d love to be able to complete every quest and find every item without ever looking something up, but also not so much that everything’s spelled out. Like, I wouldn’t mind if all the info needed was in item descriptions or whatever, but I wouldn’t want some NPC telling me exactly what to do and when. Basically there should still be player-driven progression, but everything should have bread crumbs and not be completely left to chance or dumb luck.

I’m curious to how lock on could be done better with this style of game though. Most other games don’t have to deal with environmental hazards or have some other vital function occupying every other button.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I generally try to play these games blind but ER is so fucking huge I've been using the guides fairly liberally because once I'm done, I doubt I'm playing again until the DLC drops. I don't feel like crawling every goddman mini-dungeon in the game only to find some spell I'll never use at the end when I could be using my time more productively somewhere else. I've been playing for a month or so now(due to my game schedule) and I still feel like everyone else has already beaten it at this point.....despite me playing a fairly optimized playthrough where I am skipping a lot of the chaff. Basically, I'm about 55 hours in, about level 100, just now exploring Lyndell and I can only imagine where I'd be if I weren't using guides to help me skip some of the crappy content.

The longer a game is, the less likely it is I'll ever come back to it anytime soon. FROM games also have the added benefit of being punishing, which leads to another disincentive(for me, anyway) to not want to do another replay. I've heard people say that the NG+ is actually a lot easier because you've got all the good stuff, you'll very well leveled, likely, and you know how to play the game. OTOH, I'm normally just fucking done by that point and really to play something else.

So once I finish ER, I probably won't be going back to finish Salt and Sanctuary in prep for Salt and Sacrifice. At least not for a while.
I think I got a good 20 hours into Elden Ring (before quiting), and I never found a way to use any of those summon wolves/jelly fish/whatever. I think you're supposed to run into some witch girl, but I never did. And I didn't go out of my way to avoid any content in this game, I just never found it and I never bothered to look up how.